Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a tyre!

Options
  • 21-02-2016 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

Lads, I will have to replace tyres on an E60 in the next while and looking for a recommendation on what you think.

Currently have Goodyear Eagle F1s which I found good. All the same size front and rear at the moment.

Requirements are no different than anyone else:
    - Reliable tyres - don't want anyone killed!
    - Tyres for Irish weather!! (though not set up for a Summer tyres and Winter tyres regime)
    - Quiet tyres at high speed
    - Tyres that'll do c. 30k miles min

My driving is 60% motorway, 40% non-motorway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

myshirt wrote: »
    Lads, I will have to replace tyres on an E60 in the next while and looking for a recommendation on what you think.

Currently have Goodyear Eagle F1s which I found good. All the same size front and rear at the moment.

Requirements are no different than anyone else:
    - Reliable tyres - don't want anyone killed!
    - Tyres for Irish weather!! (though not set up for a Summer tyres and Winter tyres regime)
    - Quiet tyres at high speed
    - Tyres that'll do c. 30k miles min

My driving is 60% motorway, 40% non-motorway.
    If you are happy with the Goodyear why not go for them again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If you are happy with the Goodyear why not go for them again :)

If nothing else emerges, I will do! Just wondering what you guys recommend or know as a good set-up on that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If nothing else emerges, I will do! Just wondering what you guys recommend or know as a good set-up on that car.

Are they asymmetric Ones you are running?
    The best tyre on the road now are probably Eagle F1 asymmetric 2's.

I have the uniroyals rainsport 3's quoted above on my A6 and I find the feeling with them strange, great grip out of them but the sidewalls are way too soft and the car feels like a boat.

Will be putting goodyears when replacing the uniroyals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I had a set of Champiro Gt Radials on my E60 for 3 years (going back a few years now, not ride flats). They were absolutely excellent. Available at a good price from one of the online retailers. You could pay a whole lot more and not get a better tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

XsApollo wrote: »
    Are they asymmetric Ones you are running?
    The best tyre on the road now are probably Eagle F1 asymmetric 2's.

I have the uniroyals rainsport 3's quoted above on my A6 and I find the feeling with them strange, great grip out of them but the sidewalls are way too soft and the car feels like a boat.

Will be putting goodyears when replacing the uniroyals.

I had the same experience with uniroyals. Went for BFGoodrich this time and my cars handling is transformed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

deandean wrote: »
    I had a set of Champiro Gt Radials on my E60 for 3 years (going back a few years now, not ride flats). They were absolutely excellent. Available at a good price from one of the online retailers. You could pay a whole lot more and not get a better tyre.

That's funny because I've only ever come across one set of Champiro tyres, they were on a Mazda MX-5. They were unbelievably spectacularly sh!t. Wheel spin in 3rd in the wet with that little 1.6:eek::eek::eek: Shocking stuff. I would recommend avoiding them at all costs.

Bridgestone Turanza T001 are a fantastic tyre all round and lasted huge milage on the front of our CLK200. Actually have a set on the front of my other CLK320 now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Michelin Primacy 3
    Edit: Might not get 30k miles on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tyre size? Run flat or non run flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    That's funny because I've only ever come across one set of Champiro tyres, they were on a Mazda MX-5. They were unbelievably spectacularly sh!t. Wheel spin in 3rd in the wet with that little 1.6:eek::eek::eek: Shocking stuff. I would recommend avoiding them at all costs.

Bridgestone Turanza T001 are a fantastic tyre all round and lasted huge milage on the front of our CLK200. Actually have a set on the front of my other CLK320 now too.

I'd also suggest the T001, as something of an all season with good wet grip they are suitable for Ireland IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Michelin Primacy 3
    Edit: Might not get 30k miles on it though.

Had these tyres on a mazda 6. The worst tyres i ever had for wear. Got a set of Pirelli P7's. The best i ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

cant beat zeetex tyres at 45e each imo

absolutely brilliant

absolutely brilliant

You were robbed at that price. I got them for 35e and they have transformed the handling on my wheelbarrow especially on roundabouts. Best tyre ever.

why on earth would you have a wheel barrow on a roundabout?

Oh I see, you were trying to be funny. hahahahahaha yeah thats good one!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

why on earth would you have a wheel barrow on a roundabout?

Oh I see, you were trying to be funny. hahahahahaha yeah thats good one!! :)

Awh thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

absolutely brilliant

Why do you jump on nearly every tyre thread to push plastic ditch finders. Are you on commission ?

visual wrote: »
    Why do you jump on nearly every tyre thread to push plastic ditch finders. Are you on commission ?

How are they "ditchfinders" any actual experience of entering a ditch due to zeetex tyres or any other lower priced tyres for that matter?

I speak from personal experience when I endorse these tyres.

I imagine you don't, but you prefer to follow the majority on here with their ill-founded and mythical accusations regarding certain brands

In conclusion. No I am not on any commission unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

How are they "ditchfinders" any actual experience of entering a ditch due to zeetex tyres or any other lower priced tyres for that matter?

I speak from personal experience when I endorse these tyres.

I imagine you don't, but you prefer to follow the majority on here with their ill-founded and mythical accusations regarding certain brands

In conclusion. No I am not on any commission unfortunately.

Actually I do have experience of cheap tyres and their lack of grip in wet is criminal especially if it is a smooth road. My current car came with ditch finders, tyre fitter ask why change the tyres there is plenty of thread on those triangle tyres. Yes there was but zero grip in wet. Wheel spin taking off and traction light flashing. ABS flashing when stopping.
    Changed to branded tyre that uses rubber as it's major component instead of cheaper plastics and silicone used in budget tyres made a huge difference. No more lighting up the dash with traction and abs warnings.

I once fitted motorway (budget tyres ) recommended by tyre fitter all round on a van in the morning. It rained that day and the van was the same sliding all over the place by afternoon I was back at tyre centre getting my old tyres refitted.

Your under some impression it's brand snobbery
    But it's about grip not budget black things that are round and cheaper is better

If a car has to activate abs traction control in normal driving something is amiss and if there isn't black ice under your wheels and the road is just wet then its very identify tyres are the issue

When I had the triangle tyres on they seemed OK in dry but when I had to brake on motorway in wet car slid nearly causing me to rear end car in front who didn't skid to a stop. This wasn't an isolated incident it happened a enough times to realise I didn't have proper traction.

You might say drive slower drive with bigger gaps between cars but when you need to stop in wet due to some emergency or unexpected reason good tyres can make the difference between plowing into rear of another car or actually being able to go around a corner.

Yet repeatly you push your choice in tyres without anything more than your opinion and there cheaper.

What's worse is that every single time you have to be challenged.

My reason for challenging you is I don't want some less knowledgeable person being caught out by budget tyres and end up in accident following very bad advice.

What's just as bad is tyre fitters pushing these budget tyres claiming all taxis use them while not disclosing that they stock budget tyres because profit margin is bigger than branded name tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

After all these recommendations, I think I'll have to go with... a set of Landsails :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

After all these recommendations, I think I'll have to go with... a set of Landsails :)

You fool, a false economy! A good set of triangles or remoulds is the way forward :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just put 4 x Eagle F1's on my E46. Great tyre. Got them from Openeo and saved >€150.

Here's an old tyre test you have a look at
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Autobild-50-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm
    Uniroyal came in 7th, Zeetex came in 44th

Opps, that's for 2012
    This is from 2014
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Auto-Bild-50-Summer-Tyre-Shootout.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

absolutely brilliant

Sweet jeebus no.
    Awful tyres.
    And from personal experience they where lethal in the wet.
    No grip when going around roundabouts.
    Or entering turns and no braking grip either.

I'm sorry but no these could not handle rwd.

I had them on a mazda 3 and they where awful.
    I do not drive like a loon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

bazz26 wrote: »
    You were robbed at that price. I got them for 35e and they have transformed the handling on my wheelbarrow especially on roundabouts. Best tyre ever.

New tyres? What size?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

OSI wrote: »
    Did you get the Asymmetric 3s? Some places are still selling the 2s at a higher price for some reason :confused:

Didn't know so went back and checked...

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 245/40 R17 95 Y XL, FP
    Price per unit (including VAT): 121 € Quantity: 2 :
    Total price (VAT Incl) 242 €

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 225/45 R17 91 Y FP
    Price per unit (including VAT): 92 € Quantity: 2 :
    Total price (VAT Incl) 184 €

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I was always fond of Federals for my E39. Great grip, but didnt last too long. Then on my A4, I had Pirelli P-Zeros, but thought the grip wasnt great, and they lasted longer. Now for my Superb, probably go with Conti Sports, as tried and tested and just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Budget tyres are bloody dangerous. I was driving a hired 1.6 diesel Leon on a set of ditchfinders. I have my own Leon on Continental ContiSportContacts for a direct comparison. On dry roads, the ditchfinders were not too bad, reasonable grip but they took a lot of hard work to get heat into them. When it rained, boy were they bad. Moderate braking had the ABS kicking in, mini-roundabouts in second gear and moderate throttle had the traction control kicking in. Grip was shocking in the damp, loads of understeer, etc. I would have to hate to have to do an emergency stop (eg a child running out on the road after a ball) as I knew I couldn't stop in time. My own Leon on Conti's would stick to the road. I was bloody glad to get rid of it and get my own car back (same car, different trim level).

OP, I wouldn't get Dunlop Sport Maxx. That's what I replaced the Conti's with and they are not as good as the Conti's. They lack feeling, with initial turn in not as crisp. Wet performance is not as good and take longer to get heat into them in the wet. Once hot they do work well. On the plus side for the Dunlop's they are much quieter though.

• Advertisement

ianobrien wrote: »
    Budget tyres are bloody dangerous. I was driving a hired 1.6 diesel Leon on a set of ditchfinders. I have my own Leon on Continental ContiSportContacts for a direct comparison. On dry roads, the ditchfinders were not too bad, reasonable grip but they took a lot of hard work to get heat into them. When it rained, boy were they bad. Moderate braking had the ABS kicking in, mini-roundabouts in second gear and moderate throttle had the traction control kicking in. Grip was shocking in the damp, loads of understeer, etc. I would have to hate to have to do an emergency stop (eg a child running out on the road after a ball) as I knew I couldn't stop in time. My own Leon on Conti's would stick to the road. I was bloody glad to get rid of it and get my own car back (same car, different trim level).

OP, I wouldn't get Dunlop Sport Maxx. That's what I replaced the Conti's with and they are not as good as the Conti's. They lack feeling, with initial turn in not as crisp. Wet performance is not as good and take longer to get heat into them in the wet. Once hot they do work well. On the plus side for the Dunlop's they are much quieter though.

Getstedious reading the same drawn out cliched ridden answers to budget tyres

If this was fact, then a child or whatever must die every single day on the road as someone couldnt break in time on their budget tyres :(

Fact, this does not happen

tyre snobbery pure and simple imo

Advertisement