Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car accident, road with no grip

Options
  • 19-02-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Just reading the threads.
    I rammed into a car last week. No matter how hard I braked my car wouldn't stop. After crash I noticed the road was recently tarred and it was totally smooth no grip. Can I sue the council for causing the accident. I was forced to attempt liability to avoid a court case. I like to know, who is at fault, my car which the has four new tyres and perfect brakes or road with no grip. I am no happy, car repair is expensive

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

raher1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I rammed into a car last week. No matter how hard I braked my car wouldn't stop. After crash I noticed the road was recently tarred and it was totally smooth no grip. Can I sue the council for causing the accident. I was forced to attempt liability to avoid a court case. I like to know, who is at fault, my car which the has four new tyres and perfect brakes or road with no grip. I am no happy, car repair is expensive

Even so they will just turn around and say you didn't keep your distance,
    Double the two second rule in wet weather and all that yadda

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The other car was clearly able to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

L1011 wrote: »
    The other car was clearly able to stop.

Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What make were your brand new tyres? Were they by any chance recommended to you by the tyre shop as "what all the taxi drivers use" so they must be good? If so they were probably cheap Chinese tyres commonly known as "ditchfinders" which magically lose all semblance of grip as soon as one drop of water hits the road.

Apologies if not the case, but it crops up a lot on the Motors forum these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OP never mentioned the road being wet :confused:

Wasn't there a case a good few years ago of someone being killed by a car which skidded on a road undergoing maintenance, so it was without its usual surface? I can't even remember which part of the country it was in, so haven't managed to find any links to it, but I think I remember an enquiry, maybe that might be something for the OP to look at?

But instinct would tell me that you could/should have noticed that the road surface was different and adjusted speed accordingly.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

...I rammed into a car last week....I like to know, who is at fault....

Ans: You!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Wasn't there a case a good few years ago of someone being killed by a car which skidded on a road undergoing maintenance, so it was without its usual surface? I can't even remember which part of the country it was in, so haven't managed to find any links to it, but I think I remember an enquiry, maybe that might be something for the OP to look at?

But instinct would tell me that you could/should have noticed that the road surface was different and adjusted speed accordingly.....

That court case was about a school bus that crashed in Meath on a section of road that was being fixed up IIRC

Alun wrote: »
    What make were your brand new tyres? Were they by any chance recommended to you by the tyre shop as "what all the taxi drivers use" so they must be good? If so they were probably cheap Chinese tyres commonly known as "ditchfinders" which magically lose all semblance of grip as soon as one drop of water hits the road.

Apologies if not the case, but it crops up a lot on the Motors forum these days.
    I suspect that those "ditchfinders" also have difficulty with the perfectly smooth sub-surface of unfinished roads as well as they rely on the rough stone in the road for grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

cjpm wrote: »
    That court case was about a school bus that crashed in Meath on a section of road that was being fixed up IIRC

I think the case referred to is this one:
    http://m.independent.ie/woman/true-life-why-i-must-find-what-caused-my-sineads-death-26620971.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

The council are not responsible that you failed to stop. You failed to stop, you were going too fast to stop. If you sue the council they have to pay you.... Tax payers money which would otherwise fund public services. It's disgraceful that people think they can sue someone else Because they failed to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

He's in Ireland, the road was wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Any chance the OP's brakes locked?

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Any chance the OP's brakes locked?
    Sounds quite likely, unfortunate if the car he hit has ABS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hi

The insurance company could pay out and drag you into court for taking away their defence

gctest50 wrote: »
    The insurance company could pay out and drag you into court for taking away their defence
    Generally, they don't accept claims for liability made immediately after a crash as they understand that people are stressed and sometimes threatened in the immediate aftermath of a collision. If they can't decide who is to blame they usually go for a "knock for knock" where they'll pay for the repairs to the other vehicle and you lose your no claims bonus. Don't forget it's a no claims bonus, not a no blames bonus.

Time to buy a crash-cam!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Thread moved from Infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

After crash I noticed the road was recently tarred and it was totally smooth no grip.

There's your liability. As a driver, you're required to notice the condition of the road surface before you crash and adjust your speed/distance accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rhino1

Who is responsible in the case of a road surface being seriously defective ,for instance a very large pothole causing a crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If road works are ongoing or the road does not have it's finished surface and markings in place, the area should be clearly signposted as having road works under way.
    Anything less than the required signage will put liability right into the hands of the council or contractor involved.
    much as I think the op is rather crazy and doesn't appear to grasp the basics of driving, if works are ongoing they could well have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

There's your liability. As a driver, you're required to notice the condition of the road surface before you crash and adjust your speed/distance accordingly.

What kind of a statement is that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What kind of a statement is that!

the correct statement

the correct statement

I think he's joking that it sounds more like making an informed decision to crash.

.. I laughed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ehhhh, no ... don't think I'm joking. Not unless my various Rules of the Road books are all comic-books, seeing as they all make the same point: as the driver of a motor vehicle, it is your responsibility to constantly be aware of the physical properties of the road surface ahead of you.

It doesn't really matter if it's black ice, shiny tar or standing water - if you make a decision to drive on/through it, don't blame your tyres or the council when you can't stop within the distance available.

Going back to the OP's first sentence, I'm also wondering if "no matter how hard I braked" indicates that the OP stamped on the pedal several times, and if so, and if he hs ABS, does he know that that's not the way to get the car to stop?

Ehhhh, no ... don't think I'm joking.

Fair enough (although I maintain that if you were joking, i would have found it funny).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,387 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What brand were your tyres so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Sorry for your trouble OP but after being bitten by "ditch finders" once you need to always adjust your driving to suit them!

That is assuming your car had them.
    If not does your car have abs.
    Does your car have extra braking power!!

Does the car you hit?

Not that it matters as the car you hit had stopped.

Very little the council can be found guilty for either way.
    I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

rhino1 wrote:
    Who is responsible in the case of a road surface being seriously defective ,for instance a very large pothole causing a crash?

A pothole large or small cant cause a crash.. ( doesnt move ,or jump out at you,)
    A car traveling at "too" high a speed for the road conditions can ...
    Although as far as I know a badly repaired pot hole can cause a crash ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Markcheese wrote: »
    A pothole large or small cant cause a crash.. ( doesnt move ,or jump out at you,)

Large pothole out my road. I've lost count the amount of times people see it late and go over to the other side of the road to avoid it even if a car is coming against them and forcing the opposite car to brake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Markcheese wrote: »

Surely a badly repaired pothole doesn't move or jump out at you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

AlanG wrote:
    With two ministers in the area it is amazing that the electrification of the line to Balbriggan seems to be getting prioritized over improvements to the Maynooth service. Dublin 15 trains are packed for far longer periods than Norther commuter line trains - you cannot get a seat on our line from 4:30pm on wards most days but the Malahide line is rarely full and they have a far more frequent service. In addition far more northern commuter trains go from the south side so don't involve a change at Connolly for most users. It now looks like the shelving of Dart underground will mean the Maynooth line will stay as an under served afterthought for many years to come. The upcoming election is our chance to get this issue raised. having lived along both lines it is amazing how IR keep prioritising the northern route above the western lines. They have not even completed the signalling changes to allow more frequency through Tara Street which was supposed to allow more maynooth trains into Pearse.

Surely a badly repaired pothole doesn't move or jump out at you?

Nope - but a badly maintained road full of potholes is the drivers problem... apparently a badly repaired pothole causing an accident can be the fault of the repairer ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement