Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster v Scarlets Match Thread BBCNI/S4C 230pm KO

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

I think that's the one where he got dragged backwards by his own shirt?

I thought it might have been, but that makes it sound like he had no options. He clearly looked up and then ran backwards with the ball - he was dragged back further after he decided to go backwards.

It's not a distinction worth commenting too much about. He was very poor.
    Passes along the ground and passes a good 4ft over some peoples heads. (one to Luke M. sticks in my mind)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's not a distinction worth commenting too much about. He was very poor.
    Passes along the ground and passes a good 4ft over some peoples heads. (one to Luke M. sticks in my mind)

There was one period of play in the first half where Ulster were camped on the try line and he kept passing it to people standing still. Although, to be fair to the people standing still, it looked like he was throwing in slow motion and they were having to check their runs to catch the ball.

As someone else said already, the 3rd choice SH must be piss poor if he can't get a run out over Marshall.

There was one period of play in the first half where Ulster were camped on the try line and he kept passing it to people standing still. Although, to be fair to the people standing still, it looked like he was throwing in slow motion and they were having to check their runs to catch the ball.

As someone else said already, the 3rd choice SH must be piss poor if he can't get a run out over Marshall.

Shanahan has picked a few caps off the bench, he's an academy player still.
    The actual guy they are paying to be SH cover appears to be a man called Paul Rowley - the Ulster site shows he has no caps for them.

Here's a blurb about him from, I think 2 years ago:
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/ImportNews2468.php#.VspBA9Dnbd4

EDIT: actually I think it's from last year - they got his age wrong just.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The one that really pissed me off was the pass to Stockdale. WTF was the kid meant to do with that? We had built up good momentum and Marshall does that...oh and at the end of the first half we were camped on the Scarlets line and on two occasions he cost us 10 minutes with passes to nobody.

I feel a bit sorry for him but only because his performance was soooooo bad that he is almost too easy a target, but that was woeful. Of course he did make two or three trademark breaks, one which led to the try by the good Marshall, but all that is easily negated by the bad play.

I'm not sure about Shannahan. He came off the bench a couple of weeks ago (might have been the Dragons) and seemed to lack control, but then he needs a chance I suppose.

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    Did you ever see such dross. What is it with Ulster team selection? Cave has been out for a while. Why not start him from the bench ffs. Kiss had Arnold /Luke M / Olding to select in the centre who are all pretty much up to speed. Cave looked way off the pace. I've never seen him play as poorly.

Making a tactical sub of AOC during the 1st half when he was playing well, why? Now Browne played well enough but he hasn't got the brute strength of AOC.

Lutton is a brain dead moron on the pitch.

Paul Marshall's good points are drowned by his bad.
    Jackson played very well as did ..
    L. Marshall and
    Gilroy was good again.

Wilson put in a great shift to little avail. Henry was meh..again. Diack was good in the l/o but too easily stopped in open play. Woeful at times. If the Ulster players had the brains to match their talent they'd be unbeatable. sadly, they hang them up with their clothes in the dressing room.

Not sure why AOC was subbed. He wasn't playing badly. It was strange, unless of.course it was planned for whatever reason. Browne played alright to be fair. He has got better since his rather lacklustre opening efforts back in September.

Not sure what was up with Cave today, it was so unlike him, although I'm not sure about rustiness as I'm pretty sure he played last week against Glasgow? As I said earlier in the thread we kept giving them an overlap and he seemed to get caught between pushing out or staying in. The defensive issues were curious to say the least. In saying that King is still a class act and Parkes seems a decent player. Don't think I've seen him.play before.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

bilston wrote: »
    Not sure what was up with Cave today, it was so unlike him, although I'm not sure about rustiness as I'm pretty sure he played last week against Glasgow? As I said earlier in the thread we kept giving them an overlap and he seemed to get caught between pushing out or staying in. The defensive issues were curious to say the least. In saying that King is still a class act and Parkes seems a decent player. Don't think I've seen him.play before.

I couldn't figure out if it was something Cave was doing was causing the problems in the middle of the field allowing them an overlap, or was it a general defensive issue that was making things impossible for Cave.... or a bit of both.

I couldn't figure out if it was something Cave was doing was causing the problems in the middle of the field allowing them an overlap, or was it a general defensive issue that was making things impossible for Cave.... or a bit of both.

I know what you mean, would need to watch the game again though. Can only find highlights of the tries.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35626479

The first try was created by a miss tackle by cave.
    Their second was quick-ball from offloading - our defense wasn't quick enough filling the field. Looks like they didn't work hard enough to get into position and the threat from the scarlet's numbers on that side wasn't communicated.

EDIT: also a bit of ball watching going on when they should have been a lot more aggressive in defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

What a frustrating match to watch. I'm sure it was good for the neutral though.

Some good points:

- PJ kicked well from the tee again, including a couple of touchline conversions.
    - Gilroy and L Marshall scored two lovely tries, they are a joy to watch going forward.
    - Olding has got through another match unscathed. He made a lovely try saving tackle in the second half where Gilroy had been caught out of position. He seemed to have a 3 on 1 at one stage and it actually looked like he and Gilroy managed to get the Scarlets man into touch.

Eh..

That's it for the good points.

AOC subbed off for Ireland next weekend anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I really hope Marshall gets the nod for Ireland but I'd be surprised if it wasn't Earls at 13. Marshall has really found his form once more and looks as energised and exciting as he did 4 years ago.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    I really hope Marshall gets the nod for Ireland but I'd be surprised if it wasn't Earls at 13. Marshall has really found his form once more and looks as energised and exciting as he did 4 years ago.

His try was terrific (albeit another camera angle would have been interesting), but he showed great acceleration to get away from his man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

bilston wrote: »
    His try was terrific (albeit another camera angle would have been interesting), but he showed great acceleration to get away from his man

The footwork was key. Gave him the little bit of space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Considering the scrum half position Ulster find themselves in i.e an injury to Pienaar away from being left with Marshall and Shanahan.....it's very hard to understand why they got rid of Ian Porter? He's come down to Connacht and been very solid if not spectacular. On current form, he's definitely a more solid player than Marshall....seems to do the basics nicely.

What were the views on him while he was at Ulster?

S12b wrote: »
    Considering the scrum half position Ulster find themselves in i.e an injury to Pienaar away from being left with Marshall and Shanahan.....it's very hard to understand why they got rid of Ian Porter? He's come down to Connacht and been very solid if not spectacular. On current form, he's definitely a more solid player than Marshall....seems to do the basics nicely.

What were the views on him while he was at Ulster?

I liked Porter. But IIRC he actually retired from pro rugby and went into whatever his chosen profession was. He then got an SOS call from Ulster and played a few games, probably off the bench, and then ended up at Connacht. I remember watching him at U20 level and thinking he had real potential, he is a very good goal kicker as well. Ulster could have done with him at the start of the season when Pienaar and Jackson were away and McCloskey was kicking for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

AOC had a virus apparently....

jacothelad wrote: »
    AOC had a virus apparently....

So Gusher was wrong when he said it was tactical. The fact that AOC was talking to Davy Irwin as he went off probably should have been the giveaway!

Advertisement