Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster v Scarlets Match Thread BBCNI/S4C 230pm KO

Options
  • 21-02-2016 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭

A bonus point victory would take Ulster back to the top of the table and crucially would leave them 12 points clear of 5th place Edinburgh with 7 rounds left. A win takes the Scarlets 3rd and a BP win moves them to 2nd so today is a really big game at the top of the table.

It's also a Sunday match and it's at the Kingspan which is unusual and as such UR have marketed it as a Family Day with lots of activities for kids etc. All that is great but it will be interesting to see what sort of atmosphere there is.

Ulster
    15 Stuart Olding (39 caps)
    14 Craig Gilroy (124 caps)
    13 Darren Cave (170 caps)
    12 Luke Marshall (74 caps)
    11 Jacob Stockdale (3 caps)
    10 Paddy Jackson (c) (96 caps)
    9 Paul Marshall (166 caps)
    1 Andrew Warwick (40 caps)
    2 John Andrew (11 caps)
    3 Ricky Lutton (43 caps)
    4 Alan O'Connor (23 caps)
    5 Franco Van Der Merwe (44 caps)
    6 Robbie Diack (166 caps)
    7 Chris Henry (141 caps)
    8 Roger Wilson (199 caps)

16 Johnny Murphy (0), 17 Kyle McCall (16), 18 Bronson Ross (28), 19 Peter Browne (6), 20 Clive Ross (28), 21 Ruan Pienaar (109), 22 Ian Humphreys (113), 23 Sam Arnold (12)

Scarlets
    15 Collins
    14 Owens
    13 King
    12 Parkes (c)
    11 DTH Van Der Merwe
    10 Thomas
    9 Davies
    1 John
    2 Myhill
    3 Edwards
    4 Earle
    5 Bulbring
    6 Shingler
    7 Boyde
    8 Allen

16 Elias, 17 Evans, 18 Jones, 19 Paulino, 20 Pitman, 21 Williams, 22 Jones, 23 Evans

Ulster may struggle a bit in the front row and the conditions suggest that could be important so that is a concern. Not sure where Herring is but it seems a bad match for him to miss. Jackson captains Ulster for the first time and Roger Wilson wins his 200th cap for Ulster, not bad considering he spent four years at Northampton!

Ulster by 6

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is this the first ever match thread started by bilston?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    Is this the first ever match thread started by bilston?

First one I've put the remotest amount of effort into anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jacob Stockdale is normally a centre right? Are other wingers injured?

Also, why is Pienaar on the bench? I know he picked up a head knock last week but if he's available you must start him.

Jacob Stockdale is normally a centre right? Are other wingers injured?

Also, why is Pienaar on the bench? I know he picked up a head knock last week but if he's available you must start him.

Stockdale has played on the wing in his 3 previous games and played there for the U20s last year (albeit Ringrose and Arnold were locked in in the centres). But he can play centre.

As far as I know Pienaar had to pass concussion protocols so there is no guarantee that he will even be on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster could well get a duffing in the front row. none of them inspire confidence. Lutton isn't great, Warwick once looked o.k. but doesn't now. John Andrew looks useful and seems to have lots of skill and has the pace of a back. I'd rather he had the strength of a gorilla on Angel Dust.....The bench is totally meh.....As Ulster have struggled to win against lesser sides, I'm thinking that Llanelli will win this one. The Ulster side just looks like one cobbled together out of a box of Leggo.

• Advertisement

My worry about John Andrew is his size. He is absolutely tiny! He surely isn't providing much ballast in the scrum, must put a lot of pressure on his props.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ulster could well get a duffing in the front row. none of them inspire confidence. Lutton isn't great, Warwick once looked o.k. but doesn't now. John Andrew looks useful and seems to have lots of skill and has the pace of a back. I'd rather he had the strength of a gorilla on Angel Dust.....The bench is totally meh.....As Ulster have struggled to win against lesser sides, I'm thinking that Llanelli will win this one. The Ulster side just looks like one cobbled together out of a box of Leggo.

Scarlets front row is useless missing their international contingent. Connacht destroyed them 3 weeks ago in the scrum. I wouldn't be too worried there. Playing at home I expect Ulster to win this one well

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Looks pretty mucky up there

So the game hasn't kicked off and gusher has already mentioned Methody :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ulster captain, Paddy Jackson.

CP7OFkeWIAA2qTq.png

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    So the game hasn't kicked off and gusher has already mentioned Methody :D

Jackson captained the Irish U20s right? So he was wrong!

Awful miss by Cave.

There was an overlap against him which didn't help but he has to make that tackle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That's poor...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Im currently on a flight, on terrible wifi, so anyone who can provide updates itd be much appreciated!

How did they end up with such an overlap?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MJohnston wrote: »
    Im currently on a flight, on terrible wifi, so anyone who can provide updates itd be much appreciated!

7-0 to scarlets

Scarlets getting in on the 1916 Centenary there with Michael Collins.

Stheno wrote: »
    7-0 to scarlets

5-0, missed conversion.

Scarlets getting in on the 1916 Centenary there with Michael Collins.

Yeah popular at the Kingspan!

I wish Marshall would stop passing at Jackson's head.

• Advertisement

Lovely kick by Jackson.

Blatant forward pass from Wilson to Stockdale though!

Hm, borderline yellow card that.

The Scarlets made a mess of that Ulster maul.

Marshall :mad:

That maul was going nowhere, take the ball out!

Donnacha O'Callaghan flashbacks.

That is fecking moronic by Lutton.

WTF? Henry was on his feet!

8-0 to the Scarlets

3-8

• Advertisement

Nice line from Stockdale and nice snappy DG...BUT...why not take the free play?

Advertisement