Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    You becoming a daddy again? :p

Mightn't be far wrong there. Hopefully get this sorted by then

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

Without a doubt Hyundai ev support is the worst ver ,hope they are better with their ice cars,

So far 12v battery......nope
    Actuator yep it was done
    Yeah we updated the software
    The 3pin plug on your granny lead had a bent pin that will be loadsa money please.

I have since replaced the 12v
    Taken the actuator out and filed the locking pin a hair smaller
    Updated the maps/software

Makes me wonder if I'm even going to give them their 99euro to wash it at 75k.

adunis wrote: »
    Makes me wonder if I'm even going to give them their 99euro to wash scratch it at 75k.

Wash? No no no. Fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

Update rang the tossers to book it in they want 190euro these days.
    For Ahem,"health check"brake fluid and pollen filter.
    So I'm going to avoid the dealers in cork/midelton called K#;ys and drive all the way to clonmel and pay 110 for the same thing thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

What is the charge for? Got my Ioniq bout 6 weeks ago, it had 125k kms on it and was due a VHC at 130k, rang a dealer in navan he quoted €100 but when I left it in there was no charge. Presumably the next service is 145k so will I charged for 100-190€ then? (By the way car wash was shocking!)

• Advertisement

adunis wrote: »
    Update rang the tossers to book it in they want 190euro these days.
    For Ahem,"health check"brake fluid and pollen filter.
    So I'm going to avoid the dealers in cork/midelton called K#;ys and drive all the way to clonmel and pay 110 for the same thing thanks very much.

What mileage on the car? I got my 4th service done recently enough. Over the phone I was told €140, and it included pollen filter and brake fluid. Dropped the car in, double checked what was to be done and was told €130 for the service, didn't include brake fluid. Told them I was told brake fluid was included. No no no, that's ~€55 for brake fluid (or something like that). Explained that I was told €140, brake fluid included, and then magically all was ok. Cost me €140. :confused:

Was dropping my wife to an appointment, and just sat in the car waiting/working. Range was ~73km, and then I blinked and it was 55km. Interestingly I was playing around with torque (made a few calculations which tell you how much range you have based on preset kW/100km) and my gauges said i'd have about 53-57km of range while the GOM said ~73km.
    Should be a more useful range estimator when doing motorway driving.

Here's the dashboard I'm using. Range based on efficiency on the left.

Screenshot-2020-08-11-16-46-39-214-org-prowl-torque.jpg

I must be terribly unlucky so. No part, no temp car, wait 8 days, no part again, wait a week, no temp car again. Can't wait to find out what happens in this week's episode.

I didn't bring ye up to speed last week, so here it is. Hyundai Ireland have been contacted, and this week I've been asked to wait another week for the part to hopefully arrive in the UK... and then hopefully be shipped on to my dealer for me. Waiting 3 weeks now, and judging by how this has all gone, it wouldn't surprise me if the part didn't arrive in the UK next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I didn't bring ye up to speed last week, so here it is.

It would appear to me you pissed in someone's cornflakes there...........that's atrocious, it really is :(.
    Is yours an import or did you buy it from a different dealer?
    I must say, I never received anything but great service from my Hyundai dealer, couldn't fault them. I did buy new from them though.......maybe that has a bearing.

Hope you get sorted asap.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    It would appear to me you pissed in someone's cornflakes there...........that's atrocious, it really is :(.
    Is yours an import or did you buy it from a different dealer?
    I must say, I never received anything but great service from my Hyundai dealer, couldn't fault them. I did buy new from them though.......maybe that has a bearing.

Hope you get sorted asap.

I bring balance to your great service from Hyundai with my consistently poor experiences with them.

I bought off a different garage, and to be somewhat fair to the dealer i'm using to try get it fixed, they just can't get the part, but from my perspective this is all taking far far far far far too long, and feels like it's moving slower than it needs to. There are moving parts I don't see though so it's easy to assume they're twiddling their thumbs, but as for customer satisfaction, there's zero. I've actually never had anything go smoothly with them since i've owned the car.

At least i've been able to force the car to charge. If this were anyone more casual about cars they'd be stumped, and carless for weeks.

I bring balance to your great service from Hyundai with my consistently poor experiences with them.

I think your issue might be more with that individual dealer though, rather than Hyundai.
    Are you sure you didn't piddle in someone's cup there, perhaps when enjoying a complimentary coffee in their salubrious customer waiting area? Maybe you had an acrimonious break-up years ago with someone working there now?

Think outside the box............

:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

I didn't bring ye up to speed last week, so here it is. Hyundai Ireland have been contacted, and this week I've been asked to wait another week for the part to hopefully arrive in the UK... and then hopefully be shipped on to my dealer for me. Waiting 3 weeks now, and judging by how this has all gone, it wouldn't surprise me if the part didn't arrive in the UK next week.

I got an update today. I booked in for service & replacement actuator the other day but after BK having the issues getting the part I rang my hyundai dealer today to ask had they the part in stock or did they need to order it.
    I was told they asked hyundai & there was no recall on that part and if needed the part would be order after the mechanic inspects the car.

So is there anything on a recall from hyundai that I can drop/email into my dealer so they have the bloody part ready for my service date on the 31st, instead of only ordering it on the 31st.

zale wrote: »
    So is there anything on a recall from hyundai that I can drop/email into my dealer so they have the bloody part ready for my service date on the 31st, instead of only ordering it on the 31st.

Whatever you do, don't mention Black Knight or Boards - he's in the bad books :P.
    Maybe yours was already done & it isn't showing as needed now, on their system?

I got an update today. I booked in for service & replacement actuator the other day but after BK having the issues getting the part I rang my hyundai dealer today to ask had they the part in stock or did they need to order it.
    I was told they asked hyundai & there was no recall on that part and if needed the part would be order after the mechanic inspects the car.

There is/was a recall originally back in 2018 or so I think. My car, and many others (possibly including yours) had the actuator replaced, like for like as far as I know. They're seemingly now have a modified actuator to replace when the fail again like ours has, but Korea is hogging them all. Last I heard from my local dealer they said I was the 3rd or 4th car of late to require the actuator to be replaced. I just rocked up unannounced in the morning, and they were able to get the car in for an inspection before lunch. I'd chance that and see can they diagnose it sooner rather than later. Sure for all intents and purposes, you "can't" charge your car so making you wait 2 weeks is a bit delusional from them. Perhaps that's the first date they can offer you a complementary car, so they penciled you in for then?

When they told me the part will take time to come in, I said i'd try my "trick" to get the car charging, and got a full battery off their slow charger on site. So you won't have to leave your car if they diagnose and tell you to wait for the part.

Whatever you do, don't mention Black Knight or Boards - he's in the bad books :P.
    Maybe yours was already done & it isn't showing as needed now, on their system?

Part of me wonders might they check in on this thread every now and again. I've probably mentioned their name many months ago, and my location kinda makes things obvious to any regulars here, but between my unique(ish) scenario and the low number of EVs on the road, if they did read here, they'd easily identify me. Hi Hyundai staff! Chat ye next week.

Like, if Mooneys followed these threads they'd know we all think they're dreamers with their second hand EV prices.

Part of me wonders might they check in on this thread every now and again

You're overthinking it............sure you're real name isn't Mr. B Knight is it? There's no way they'd figure it out.

Maybe it is?

If so & you rode a motorcycle at night, would you be a Knight Rider? :D.

I've a spare hat anyway if you need it, I lined it with tinfoil. It's green to match my green jersey..........in Cork you say............in an Ioniq with a faulty actuator you say..........white I think.........

:P.

It would be strange if Hyundai just replaced 2017 actuators with the same ones. Not unheard of, but strange, especially with 5 year warranties. Surely they knew they'd be replacing them again.

It would be strange if Hyundai just replaced 2017 actuators with the same ones. Not unheard of, but strange, especially with 5 year warranties. Surely they knew they'd be replacing them again.

Didn't dig much on it, but it was the impression I got from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

I just rocked up unannounced in the morning, and they were able to get the car in for an inspection before lunch. I'd chance that and see can they diagnose it sooner rather than later. Sure for all intents and purposes, you "can't" charge your car so making you wait 2 weeks is a bit delusional from them.

I'll do the same today, a surprise visit saying it won't charge at all anymore.... Even though I did "the trick" & it fully charged last night ;)

I'll do the same today, a surprise visit saying it won't charge at all anymore.... Even though I did "the trick" & it fully charged last night ;)

Good luck to you. Hopefully they take a look and quickly diagnose that it needs replacing, and get ordering. If they do, i'd even hint at them that you've heard of people waiting for weeks as the part's not available in Ireland, UK or Europe. Hopefully they'll have a quicker escalation than my dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Also adding in my terrible experiences with my local Hyundai dealer. They managed to dent my first Ioniq on its first service, and refused to fix it until I got Hyundai involved. Next service they claimed to have fixed the charger door not opening and updated the software. In reality neither were done. They then said they ordered a new charger door....after a few weeks I followed up and it hadn't been ordered, waited 2 more weeks for that. Car has never even been cleaned during a service, I don't know what I'm paying for other than to keep the warranty in place!

Lucky the car is so reliable, would hate to have to be regularly visiting them.

baldshin wrote: »
    Lucky the car is so reliable, would hate to have to be regularly visiting them.

Maybe that's their goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Having a look at importing an ioniq 38, is it easy to change from m/h to km/h. Think I recall reading it's a problem on the older ioniq?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dont do it. THe 38 is a horrible EV.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Dont do it. THe 38 is a horrible EV.

+ it charges like a first Gen EV from 2010, sloooooooowwwwwwwww

gar wrote: »
    Having a look at importing an ioniq 38, is it easy to change from m/h to km/h. Think I recall reading it's a problem on the older ioniq?

As others have said it's a poor "upgrade" to the original ioniq, though if you never/rarely ever need to fast charge it's a grand car, overpriced, but grand.
    And as far as I know you're not able to change from m/h to km/h. Not 100% sure on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

And as far as I know you're not able to change from m/h to km/h. Not 100% sure on that though.

On the 28kWh UK model you can change the sat nav to km, and a sub speed display to km, but the main speed and range to empty stay in miles including speedo.

You would need to check on UK spec 38kWh to see, as for the 28kWh the UK model is different than ROI model. It is a UK legal requirement that at least a sub display must show km if enabled.

Only reason for buying 38kW would be if daily commute was higher than 160km but less than 210km. In this situation a 28kWh car will not reliably do commute with range to spare while 38kWh will. These are worst case winter motorway allowing for reducing speed in frosty days to increase range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The 38 over the 28 is one hell of a premium for essentially modest extra range

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Like most things EV related, it really depends on your individual circumstances.

I've the 28 Ionic, if I had the 38 Ioniq, I'd spend about 30 minutes extra at a fast charger 2 or 3 times a year, but wouldn't need to stop to charge at all about 20 times a year. The 38 would be substantially better for my circumstances.

The 38 would really suit me, it was just priced to high ;(

*I'm not defending the 38, it's ridiculous that it charges so slowly and is so expensive, but apart from that it's a nice efficient medium range EV.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    You becoming a daddy again? :p

Just a week off unkel. It's been a long day, but nothing Hyundai do (or don't) can ruin this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement