Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

baldshin wrote: »
    Thank for the insight! To be honest I'm in the very, very early stages of weighing up my options, hence my underestimating the cost of the car, so obviously will have to have a closer look at finances. Am I correct in saying there is nothing else really around that budget that would suit those distances without needing to stop to charge along the way? (I guess it would be a nervy trip in a Leaf, for example?)

30kwh Leaf.
    Especially if charging available in work for a 12 hour shift.
    Even if the fhargenpoint was blocked, would you have access to a 3 pin socket?

Other than that, 20k is not enough for an Ioniq or Leaf 40 kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Ryath wrote: »
    They had 4k scrappage in January good chance it will be offered again.

Don't have an Ioniq but did get a quote on PCP last week.
    3.9% OTRP €30445 GMFV €9278 @ 15k km per year which is low and makes for higher monthlies. Should have a good bit of equity at end though.

Thanks a million for that, it's exactly what I was looking for.

This is the trouble I'm finding with new BEVs - they are relatively expensive even with the grant, they offer low trade-in values because there's not much margin in them for the salesperson, then they also have low GMFV figures which means there's a lot more to finance. It should lead to a decent amount of equity in the car at the end of the term, as you say, but there's no guarantee on that either.

Unless you're doing significant mileage and therefore making big savings on fuel, it's tough to justify it financially against an ICE, which is a bit sad.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The car really did not like the storm yesterday evening. My 26km commute home used nearly 25% of the battery, driving in this morning it only used 9%! Trip home tends to use a bit more juice anyway due to elevation i think but not usually that much of a difference.

Was the first time I've felt proper range anxiety in the month since I got the car. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The car really did not like the storm yesterday evening. My 26km commute home used nearly 25% of the battery, driving in this morning it only used 9%! Trip home tends to use a bit more juice anyway due to elevation i think but not usually that much of a difference.

Was the first time I've felt proper range anxiety in the month since I got the car. :D

How many km was your car estimating to be left by the time you got home? The Leaf in my household is often well into displaying "- -" for the estimated range left when it gets home in the evening. It doesn't take too long to figure out the limits of the battery.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

highdef wrote: »
    How many km was your car estimating to be left by the time you got home. The Leaf in my household is often well into displaying "- -" for the estimated range left when it gets home in the evening. It doesn't take too long to figure out the limits of the battery.

It was still estimating about 33km at 21% so i was never in danger of not making it, just not used to seeing it drop so quick.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It was still estimating about 33km at 21% so i was never in danger of not making it, just not used to seeing it drop so quick.
    Ah jaysus, you've nothing at all to worry about. I'd get slightly concerned when the GOM says 33km range left when I have 35km still to go.

highdef wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, you've nothing at all to worry about. I'd get slightly concerned when the GOM says 33km range left when I have 35km still to go.

Yeah, I'm sill a noob sure. Haven't seen the turtle yet and hopefully never do :o

Despite getting into "- -" very regularly, turtle mode has never been reached which goes to show just how much padding is in place with the guessometer....bear in mind this is regarding a Nissan Leaf, not an Ioniq. Ioniq may well behave differently!

Leaf 24 Kwh hides around 7% of the battery which is why people get some kms at ---.

When the battery runs low you need to be very gentle on the throttle because the weaker group of cells will become known at lower voltages and when you hammer the throttle you could see charge % disappear very quickly due to this.

Wind is much tougher than cold on an EV in Ireland.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »

Unless you're doing significant mileage and therefore making big savings on fuel, it's tough to justify it financially against an ICE, which is a bit sad.

That's completely wrong.

Where are you getting this from ?

New EV costs similar to new cost of Diesel car. 2nd hand EV compares very well too or even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thanks a million for that, it's exactly what I was looking for.

This is the trouble I'm finding with new BEVs - they are relatively expensive even with the grant, they offer low trade-in values because there's not much margin in them for the salesperson, then they also have low GMFV figures which means there's a lot more to finance. It should lead to a decent amount of equity in the car at the end of the term, as you say, but there's no guarantee on that either.

Even then your high mileage will be on a new EV and increase depreciation so that has to be counted in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

That's completely wrong.

New EV costs similar to new cost of Diesel car. 2nd hand EV compares very well too or even better.

For a dinky 180km Ioniq maybe

Nothing else out

Mike9832 wrote: »

Nothing else out
    Especially not on a 40k I3 phev :D

ELM327 wrote: »
    Especially not on a 40k I3 phev :D

i3 is extra special, nothing else like it on the road. ;)

Nothing else out

There is the 40 Kwh Leaf, Ioniq, Zoe, Kona , e-Golf

The Kona is expensive for a Hyundai for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Picking up a new black Ioniq EV on Friday morning and want to get the grill wrapped ASAP in Dublin area.
    I got a place in ballymount recommended to me but the guy is out of the country for a while.
    Anyone recommend anyone else in Dublin area to do it?
    Cheers

There is the 40 Kwh Leaf, Ioniq, Zoe, Kona , e-Golf

The Kona is expensive for a Hyundai for sure.

None of those work, except the Kona, range wise.
    Less than 200km on the motorway for all of them except the Kona.
    And the Kona is a 20-25k car with a 15k-20k battery premium, meaning the fossil variant is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Somehow I was under the impression that you drove beyond the range of Ioniq all the time, but you clarified this to driving about 200km once or twice a month I think?

In that case (even) I would just drive at Leaf speed. And be done with it. Boring, even soul killing a bit, but the car will make the 200km range. Save hundreds per month over an ICE banger and save up for your Tesla :)

unkel wrote: »
    Somehow I was under the impression that you drove beyond the range of Ioniq all the time, but you clarified this to driving about 200km once or twice a month I think?

In that case (even) I would just drive at Leaf speed. And be done with it. Boring, even soul killing a bit, but the car will make the 200km range. Save hundreds per month over an ICE banger and save up for your Tesla :)

Didn't you do the figures Unkel?

No real savings

He's spending €20 extra a week and driving a 300bhp luxury diesel instead of driving like a priest for 50k km

Much easier ways to spare €20 a week

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

Not really much beyond 200km. Usually 180km. And I'm not prepared to compromise or drive slow, or turn off the heater in the winter, or queue at at charger (the only one on route) that may or may not be working.

I can make instant coffee at home, doesn't stop me buying nespresso and tassimo capsules, or buying coffee at starbucks or insomnia. People pay for convenience. Owners of EV pay for inconvenience.

No real savings

He's spending €20 extra a week and driving a 300bhp luxury diesel instead of driving like a priest for 50k km

Much easier ways to spare €20 a week

Saving only 20 quid a week on a 2,500 euro diesel vs a much newer more reliable car doesn't really sell the diesel to me. I'm not really into cars though unlike yourself and a lot of other folks here.

The main thing I took from ELM's situation is it doesn't matter how economical an EV is if it doesn't suit your needs and if I was having the same hassle I'd chuck the Ioniq fairly quickly. Plus if it helps him get into a brand new Model 3 in a year or two then he'd have been mad not to get rid.

No real savings

He's spending €20 extra a week

That's in his extreme case of losing €4k in depreciation in a year and paying €2k in interest

A lot of Ioniq owners like me lose only about €1k a year in depreciation and pay no interest / suffer no opportunity costs of money

That's another €100 extra a week on top of the €20...

I get it that he needed to get rid of the loan to satisfy his mortgage lenders, but a cost saving exercise switching to a cheap diesel, it was not...

To be honest the mortgage part was an issue but the main one was my frustration at the short winter range and my boredom with the car.
    I used the mortgage thing to convince her who must be obeyed but it was not my main motivation!

I get that too!

If I had massive storage, I would own 20 cars. So many cars to explore, so little time we have. At least you have owned a Rolls-Royce already, you bastard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Convenience means different things to different peoples situations.

If you have the ability to home charge - your nearest petrol station is 5 miles away and you RARELY need to rapid charge.

Then the EV could actually be MORE convenient for you not less. Especially when you add an ability to preheat the car etc to the equation.

Surprisingly it feels as if the most frustrating journeys are the ones just outside of range.

On a 170 km range EV - it's actually imo easier to put up with a need to stop on a 270 km journey then on a 180 km journey.

On the 270 km journey you may well be inclined to put heater on, drive normally and not face a temptation to run tight on the range.

Because you know you have to stop - and the other thing is that the time needed to stop is a smaller propoption of travel time at 270 miles vs 180 kms (on a 170 km range car).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To expand on the journey just beyond range theme.

An L30 could possibly do the journey from my house to the nearest City to see my mum's consultant and back.

Would be brown trousers moment in winter with --- on dash. (Edit - not a hope I'm doing that with my mum in the car wanting to get home)

If infrastructure was good - a 15 min splash and dash at rapid sorts it given L30s decent charge. But it's NOT good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

That's completely wrong.

I'm just talking about an equivalent car. If a base spec Leaf is €30k+, you get a lot more for €30k in a petrol, which would be my other option. These also have higher GMFV figures which means less to finance and a guarantee of a higher value than the electric at the end of the term, although it obviously leaves you owing more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm just talking about an equivalent car. If a base spec Leaf is €30k+, you get a lot more for €30k in a petrol, which would be my other option. These also have higher GMFV figures which means less to finance and a guarantee of a higher value than the electric at the end of the term, although it obviously leaves you owing more too.

To date its been shown that electrics have dropped far less value over the term though...

• Advertisement

i3 is extra special, nothing else like it on the road. ;)

Mazda will have a rex range soon

Mazda 3 rex would be nice

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1122062_mazda-range-extended-electric-car-may-help-the-rotary-live-on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement