Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit consequences for Irish farmers

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

mmm tasty.......

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

....anyway, they're gone.

Someone left a jacket. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Irish farmer lost a lot of support in the capital after the sh*te they put us through the last few weeks.

zero interest or concern over Irish farmers anymore

theballz wrote: »
    Irish farmer lost a lot of support in the capital after the sh*te they put us through the last few weeks.

zero interest or concern over Irish farmers anymore
    I don't know about that. The government did there bit with support from Phill in Europe. No such support was provided for mushroom growers etc.

The recent protests were an embarrassment. Turning the M50 in to a slow moving parade abusing ordinary people.

If Theresa May had got a soft Brexit through things might have been ok. Now it will be a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Impact already begining to be felt in sheep factories. A mild panic has set in, in ICM. The agent rang looking for lambs offered me 5.70 for thursday. Id say i could have got another 5 cent too. Not allowed or not worth there time economically now to bring in lambs from England to kill in the republic he told me. this means there ploy of buying lambs in Carlisle Mart and driving them to Sraenrar and over to Larne then doen to Navan for killing is gone. This is very good news to Irish sheep farmers. Lambs will be very dear from now to July. Expect good prices from next December as well. The French, Belgian,Dutch and Scandinavian markets have now very little competition for lamb now Britain is out of the market, the British cant compete with Irish sheep exporters. Dont forget were the fourth largest sheepmeat exporter in the world thats crazy stat considering the flock size in NZ and Aus. and also considering we only have 2.5 million ewes half of what we had in 1990.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Impact already begining to be felt in sheep factories. A mild panic has set in, in ICM. The agent rang looking for lambs offered me 5.70 for thursday. Id say i could have got another 5 cent too. Not allowed or not worth there time economically now to bring in lambs from England to kill in the republic he told me. this means there ploy of buying lambs in Carlisle Mart and driving them to Sraenrar and over to Larne then doen to Navan for killing is gone. This is very good news to Irish sheep farmers. Lambs will be very dear from now to July. Expect good prices from next December as well. The French, Belgian,Dutch and Scandinavian markets have now very little competition for lamb now Britain is out of the market, the British cant compete with Irish sheep exporters. Dont forget were the fourth largest sheepmeat exporter in the world thats crazy stat considering the flock size in NZ and Aus. and also considering we only have 2.5 million ewes half of what we had in 1990.

How many of those 1990 ewes were cheque in the post, there for the count in May ewes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I don't know do you mean they were moved around and the same ewes counted a few times?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I don't know do you mean they were moved around and the same ewes counted a few times?

Yes, and others cleared off hills. Figures don't always show what was happening on the ground at the time.

Advertisement