Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit consequences for Irish farmers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭tanko

432 - 202

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

tanko wrote: »
    432 - 202
    3dcd48e4d029489a18e778c089301f0ad904a8e983cf7b477d5c579c3f9bab96.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

tanko wrote: »
    432 - 202

Biggest loss in over 100 years afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,127 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

And a vote of no confidence too

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Saying that she will not win tomorrow's vote, then what? Another referendum or GE? I think another referendum with a no deal winning it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Saying that she will not win tomorrow's vote, then what? Another referendum or GE? I think another referendum with a no deal winning it.

BBC saying she's likely to win the no confidence vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭alps

Nah.... Gloucester got a bigger hiding on Friday🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭older by the day

I should have sold those cows, not in calf, straight from the milking parlour. I think il leave the check book at home from the machinery show in millstreet tomorrow. it must be the same feeling when the home rule bill got shelved because of the unionists, one hundred years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

BBC saying she's likely to win the no confidence vote?

It's a most unusual situation.
    No one wants her cobbled together deal, but no one wants a general election or her job either.
    Corbin presumably wants to be PM, but dosen't want to be the one to cause the election.
    Same with Boris Johnson or Moggs.
    And, it's doubtful if Corbin would win an election in the morning, as he is a Euro-sceptic so wouldn't have anything different to offer (Brexit wise) over what Teresa May is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The pound has strengthened. What a load of bloody waffle.

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    The pound has strengthened. What a load of bloody waffle.

In the hope of staying in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Who the blazes knows or can really make sense of all the hot wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Grueller

She will win the vote of no confidence because the tories will be whipped for the vote. They also stand a serious risk of losing their seats in an election.
    Then there is our old friends, the DUP. They are in a privileged position as the holders of the balance of power in Westminster at the moment. If they don't back Theresa in the vote of no confidence they will lose the biggest bargaining chip they ever have.
    For those reasons she will hold power I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭visatorro

Whatever about the DUP all the northern politicians are a disgrace they way they've behaved. Truth is the UK don't give a ****e about them and I'd wager if there was a vote in the morning here for a united Ireland it wouldn't pass. Crowd of crooked, old fashioned, stuck in the same old ****e bastards. Maybe Iceland might take them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭older by the day

visatorro wrote: »
    Whatever about the DUP all the northern politicians are a disgrace they way they've behaved. Truth is the UK don't give a ****e about them and I'd wager if there was a vote in the morning here for a united Ireland it wouldn't pass. Crowd of crooked, old fashioned, stuck in the same old ****e bastards. Maybe Iceland might take them
    Listening to the unionists on the radio today, who would want the six counties with the shinners and the dup. Six counties is a small price to pay to keep them away from us

Oh I'd love to see Sinn Fein walk in just before the no confidence vote...just for the trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Suckler

Whatever about the DUP all the northern politicians are a disgrace they way they've behaved.
    It's no surprise though. Outsiders often wonder why peace in the North was such a struggle but try dealing with that lot on any scale. The absolute contempt and disgust Protestants had/have for Catholics overrides all logic, reasoning and, at times, law for generations in the North. This was their bread and butter and they are well versed in it with support to boot. Why change now?
    Truth is the UK don't give a ****e about them
    This is the galling point: The DUP and their ilk see themselves as English. As English as someone from the home counties. Any recognition of 'Irishness' in the North must be rejected. The Irish language act was a perfect example. Arlene Forster "proposing" Polish be implemented on par with Irish.The English simply see them as Irish but one of the colonies they have to pay for. If the amount of money the North has cost the British people was put on the side of Farage's bus they'd be quick to cut off the septic finger. But it could never be done as it is has become the definition of political football.
    and I'd wager if there was a vote in the morning here for a united Ireland it wouldn't pass.
    Romantic notions aside; it would cripple us trying to sort it out. The public sector directly/indirectly is unsustainable only London is picking up the bill.
    Crowd of crooked, old fashioned, stuck in the same old ****e bastards.
    Listening to the unionists on the radio today, who would want the six counties with the shinners and the dup. Six counties is a small price to pay to keep them away from us

We have relatives and friends that have gone through this on both sides of the divide. Local elections were always a farce; 'your side' could have the weakest worst campaign policies but you dared not give the vote the 'other' way or you'd open the door for all sorts. Complete and utter fear of the other side was all that was poured in your ear.
    Maybe Iceland might take them
    Why?? Why would you want to do that to Iceland? They're good people who don't deserve that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Suckler wrote: »
    It's no surprise though. Outsiders often wonder why peace in the North was such a struggle but try dealing with that lot on any scale. The absolute contempt and disgust Protestants had/have for Catholics overrides all logic, reasoning and, at times, law for generations in the North. This was their bread and butter and they are well versed in it with support to boot. Why change now?

This is the galling point: The DUP and their ilk see themselves as English. As English as someone from the home counties. Any recognition of 'Irishness' in the North must be rejected. The Irish language act was a perfect example. Arlene Forster "proposing" Polish be implemented on par with Irish.The English simply see them as Irish but one of the colonies they have to pay for. If the amount of money the North has cost the British people was put on the side of Farage's bus they'd be quick to cut off the septic finger. But it could never be done as it is has become the definition of political football.

Romantic notions aside; it would cripple us trying to sort it out. The public sector directly/indirectly is unsustainable only London is picking up the bill.

We have relatives and friends that have gone through this on both sides of the divide. Local elections were always a farce; 'your side' could have the weakest worst campaign policies but you dared not give the vote the 'other' way or you'd open the door for all sorts. Complete and utter fear of the other side was all that was poured in your ear.

Why?? Why would you want to do that to Iceland? They're good people who don't deserve that!

A post containing some very accurate points but also some downright patronising and offensive nonsense. About 50% of each

downcow wrote: »
    A post containing some very accurate points but also some downright patronising and offensive nonsense. About 50% of each

It's a discussion forum - feel free to tell me why you thinks its patronising/offensive.
    Edit - Certainly wasn't trying to be patronising and/or offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 29,127 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I wonder what that vote was for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Got the feeling last night, from watching the events unfolding, that the powers that be want to remain in the EU and all this shuffling around is an attempt to direct everything towards a new referendum. Trouble is, nobody knows how to do that without loosing face. Where's PJ Mara when you need him? :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Got the feeling last night, from watching the events unfolding, that the powers that be want to remain in the EU and all this shuffling around is an attempt to direct everything towards a new referendum. Trouble is, nobody knows how to do that without loosing face. Where's PJ Mara when you need him? :D

Donald Tusk even said the same. It's beyond an unworkable farce. Mogg/Farage/Johnson by all rights should be strung out long ago for their utter lies and misrepresentation but you'll still have people support them blindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

whelan2 wrote: »
    I wonder what that vote was for?

October 1924, The Prime Minister Ramsey MacDonald lost a vote by 166 votes.
    The vote was about "The Campbell Case".
    McDonald's Labour government had decided NOT to prosecute a Communist newspaper editor ,(Campbell) for "incitement to mutiny" after the paper had published provocative letters aimed at military families.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_Case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit off topic but we might need the laugh yet.

A local lad was working in a factory and ended up cutting off one of his fingers in an accident.
    My cousin was telling us about it fairly soon after it happened and I asked her was it the whole finger he lost.
    No, she said, it's the one next to it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭alps

Great viewing from 47 mins onwards...our friend Sammy gets a mouthful and Mairead McGuinness plays diplomatic...great viewing afterwards also..

Must say Channel 4 interviewing is fab..

https://youtu.be/SR7JwVjWByM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It's a discussion forum - feel free to tell me why you thinks its patronising/offensive.
    Edit - Certainly wasn't trying to be patronising and/or offensive

Well you opening paragraph is a bit sweeping ie prods are the problem and catholics are all nice considerate people.
    There is fairly equal levels of sectarianism on both sides with the ira undoubtedly leading the way as an example of sectarianism
    I don’t want to develop this further as it’s fairly of topic

Well you opening paragraph is a bit sweeping ie prods are the problem and catholics are all nice considerate people.

If that's you took from it then I'd contend you're simply looking to be offended. I never said anything good or bad about Catholics as talking about the DUP leaders and their ilk I'm hardly going to be talking about anyone else...

Since its inception the rules were inherently stacked against on side of the population. The DUP's foundation was founded on this mantra, they had to be dragged to where they are now but fundamentally are still great believers. I'll take out the Protestant and Catholic bits and we can pretend who we're referring to.

In the other parts of my post (when not talking about the DUP) I've referred to both sides engaging in poor election choices simply because of poisonous disingenuous lies being spun about supporting "the others".
    There is fairly equal levels of sectarianism on both sides with the ira undoubtedly leading the way as an example of sectarianism

The word "Undoubtedly" is certainly a leap of imagination. The existence IRA and their ilk and the subsequent atrocities, committed by both sides, were only made possible by successive Norther Irish governing bodies, with the full backing of the UK continuously denying one side equality because of creed and ethnicity. Having the IRA in place and labelling them (the IRA + those they claim to represent) as terrorists (which some became inevitably) is the first move in any state that want to repress a certain part of the populace and has been repeated plenty of times before and after worldwide.

alps wrote: »
    Great viewing from 47 mins onwards...our friend Sammy gets a mouthful and Mairead McGuinness plays diplomatic...great viewing afterwards also..

Must say Channel 4 interviewing is fab..

https://youtu.be/SR7JwVjWByM

It's telling that Mogg was standing there like a limp fish when she put the facts out. I think he new this was one he couldn't bullsh1t and bluff. Eyes down and hope the teacher doesn't ask me a question...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pea be

... but that is Mogg in every intetview ... just depressingly smarmy.

This interview with James O.'Brien is so worrying to the farming community and consumers on both sides of the border - Australian beef, hormones but at least it is cheap...
    (Listen to the full interview, at the bottom of the page)
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-destroys-jacob-rees-mogg-brexit-vote/

Mogg and his ilk will make a killing from the volitility in the financial markets ... which they are happily contributing to. There is no consideration to farming, manufacturing or indeed anybody outside South East England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pea be

Advertisement