Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

what is it? some pods?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

beautiful looking piece

why are you selling?

It looks like a machine designed to ensure you get a cold cup of coffee.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭893bet

what is it? some pods?

A single sleeve of ten pods......

adrian522 wrote: »
    :confused:
    It has lots of shiny metal and it's not electrically heated so the only heat input is from the the hot water you use so you would need to preheat the machine in the oven or something otherwise when you put the hot water in I would have thought all that metal would pull the heat of the water way down below the optimum exraction temperature of 93°.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Any discount codes doing the rounds? Looking to get a clever dripper, filters and beans for a friend who's just got into speciality coffee. Would prefer to support Irish businesses. ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Any discount codes doing the rounds? Looking to get a clever dripper, filters and beans for a friend who's just got into speciality coffee. Would prefer to support Irish businesses. ta.

Coffee angel have 10% off for their new shop with code NEWSHOP - they have a great price on clever dripper & filters too iirc. Free delivery over €20 I think.

Beans are top also!

Coffee angel have 10% off for their new shop with code NEWSHOP - they have a great price on clever dripper & filters too iirc. Free delivery over €20 I think.

Beans are top also!

Thanks. 49 euro for two bags with a brewer/filters is pretty good value.

I see velo have just announced a listing in Dunnes for their BMX single origin coffee - they seem to be really growing in the retail channels.

I see velo have just announced a listing in Dunnes for their BMX single origin coffee - they seem to be really growing in the retail channels.

I've a French press of the Indian in the pink bag from Aldi on the go here, its absolutely gorgeous.

Getting this quality coffee for this price is really good, especially from a German supermarket

• Advertisement

I've a French press of the Indian in the pink bag from Aldi on the go here, its absolutely gorgeous.

Getting this quality coffee for this price is really good, especially from a German supermarket

Yes, I mentioned elsewhere what a bargain I thought it was: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115637534&postcount=438

A lot of people should avoid it like the plague, though, as it wasn't roasted just 2 days ago, more like two months, so it can't really be any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭breeno

Is it still available or did you get it a few weeks ago when it first came out?

breeno wrote: »
    Is it still available or did you get it a few weeks ago when it first came out?

I actually don't know, I'm such a snob that I usually just ignore anything my wife brings into the house after the weekly shop, coffee wise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

The whole bean of the Indian seems to be a hit, I got the last bag of whole bean in Finglas about a week ago stuffed in the back, and there was heaps of the ground coffee left.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    The whole bean of the Indian seems to be a hit, I got the last bag of whole bean in Finglas about a week ago stuffed in the back, and there was heaps of the ground coffee left.

That's often the way with Velo stock - don't know why they don't put 66% whole bean / 33% ground in the boxes. Though it's like that with a lot of LIDL / Aldi products that are stocked like that e.g. chocolate (there is a box with 70% raspberry and 70% salted caramel and the raspberry is always left in plentiful supply). Could only see ground so I left it - wonder what price the BMX single origin will be in Dunnes, has anyone seen it yet?

That's often the way with Velo stock - don't know why they don't put 66% whole bean / 33% ground in the boxes. Though it's like that with a lot of LIDL / Aldi products that are stocked like that e.g. chocolate (there is a box with 70% raspberry and 70% salted caramel and the raspberry is always left in plentiful supply). Could only see ground so I left it - wonder what price the BMX single origin will be in Dunnes, has anyone seen it yet?

Judging by the video on their facebook, its taken in Charlestown, ill pop in later and have a look.

Stay well clear of the velo Brazil. I bought it as I needed beans to run through after cleaning my grinder. Brewed a cup for the craic and it tastes like burnt soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,770 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Does anyone know what beans circle k use?

I'm impressed enough to have gone and found a roaster in Germany who has it and will ship 3Kg for a landed price of €28.56 per kg, or €7.13 per 250g

Possibly an added advantage in that it would likely have a near 3 month fresher roast date.

Their standard int postage seems to be an amazing fixed €5 per order so I think I'll be giving them a go when I run low.

My research had me stumble upon a large wholesaler in Germany, with an amazing range, selling by the 50-69 kg sack seemingly for ≈ €2.80 per kg :eek:

€3.99 for the Velo BMX in Dunnes, someone checked for me. Seriously good value that.

• Advertisement

€3.99 for the Velo BMX in Dunnes, someone checked for me. Seriously good value that.

not if the coffee is undrinkable, which someone here said it is

The BMX blend is a lot better than the Tandem they do in Aldi. It's probably the best I've had from a Supermarket along with Lidl Zambian. It's a bit more lightly roasted than I'd usually like but overall isn't bad.

Thanks, it was me who asked :-) A lighter roast would be great as I use a clever dripper at the moment. Might pick some up after xmas to try anyway if I am in a Dunnes.

It's a bit pedantic maybe but just to note the BMX is 3.99 for 200g rather than 227g or 250g you usually get. It's a noticeably smaller bag but realistically probably only a cup or two in the difference.

breeno wrote: »
    It's a bit pedantic maybe but just to note the BMX is 3.99 for 200g rather than 227g or 250g you usually get. It's a noticeably smaller bag but realistically probably only a cup or two in the difference.

Not pedantic at all and very relevant - more meaningful to compare the price as €5 vs most other coffees which would be 250g these days!

agree yeah, you also need to buy more of it if you are doing batch brewing with it

I have a large FP that needs 75-80g of coffee for a fill, so I'm only getting 2 fills from those bags really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Just a heads-up , picked up a stone from the recent Bell Lane order ,
    Haven’t spot it in time , driving belt on my Baratza VARIO destroyed,burrs still OK, no biggie, I suppose .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

15% off west cork coffee today ( COFFEE15 ) - any suggestions?

Looking at the two brazilians (I have no taste, I know!) and the ethiopia adado grade 1: https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/Adado

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I am currently drinking Ponaire Colombian single origin and looking for recommendations? ( Latte / Flat White )

Advertisement