Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Quite a temperature drop at Dublin Airport!
    16:30 - 9c
    17:00 - 4c.

Drove from Killarney to Kenmare earlier, surprised to be greeted by snowcapped mountains and showers of sleet and snow. Sunny now in West Cork, besides that a horrific day, but nothing so terribly out of the ordinary. We can and do get this sort of weather at any time of the year. As well its only one day, of course its quite disappointing to some, but hey it's our climate isn't it?

Criteria for a named storm is orange level warnings, has the wind criteria been met? (Gusts of 110-130km/h)

No, I have never suffered anything like I have today in MARCH - so that's why I'm very disappointed and frustrated. It don't matter if it's our climate because I haven't seen rain this heavy in my area in March before - yes I have a very low maximum daily rainfall for March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

After a miserable night and early morning there's been no rain here since 11am, field next door is flooded again, and the water is lovely and brown, after dry manure was spread on it thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭prunudo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No, I have never suffered anything like I have today in MARCH - so that's why I'm very disappointed and frustrated. It don't matter if it's our climate because I haven't seen rain this heavy in my area in March before - yes I have a very low maximum daily rainfall for March.

Did you not get the heavy rain on 21rd March 2013, Here in North Wicklow we had torrential rain. It was the same storm that brought the snow to the north east ( it was a friends wedding, hence why the random date sticks in my mind)

jvan wrote: »
    Did you not get the heavy rain on 23rd March 2013, Here in North Wicklow we had torrential rain. It was the same storm that brought the snow to the north east ( it was a friends wedding, hence why the random date sticks in my mind)

Nope unless you mean 21st March 2013? But even then I only had 11.8mm which is hardly much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭prunudo

Nope unless you mean 21st March 2013? But even then I only had 11.8mm which is hardly much.

You're right, it was 21st, we had bad flooding here, don't have exact figures.

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    You're right, it was 21st, we had bad flooding here, don't have exact figures.

Glenmacnass in Wicklow recorded 98.9mm that day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like Dublin could escape the worst of the rain for the parade and festivities tomorrow.

9msFPTO.gif

Unless we get more sunshine than showers these next few days, surprisingly to people here is that March will end up duller than normal here and the dullest since 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Could hopefully make for a good summer.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Could hopefully make for a good summer.

Yeah well 50% chance of a good summer if March ends up being poor overall and it already is in my eyes - that dry spell was welcome alright but not great! I am 80% certain that it will be a good summer because of how the patterns been going. 2013 might be a close one to what might happen but now since then when I made me predictions, I feel a closer match will be 1999 which had a brilliantly warm July - which is all that matters really of what makes a good summer to most people (examples: 1983, 1989, 2006 (June was brilliant also though) and 2013). Like without July in those summers, they wouldn't be half as good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

There seems to be so little between the seasons the last couple of years. It's like one long autumn.

There was a song about our climate that was a big hit around 1979!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCdlX-5UjE

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Snowing here now, enough now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yeah well 50% chance of a good summer if March ends up being poor overall and it already is in my eyes - that dry spell was welcome alright but not great! I am 80% certain that it will be a good summer because of how the patterns been going. 2013 might be a close one to what might happen but now since then when I made me predictions, I feel a closer match will be 1999 which had a brilliantly warm July - which is all that matters really of what makes a good summer to most people (examples: 1983, 1989, 2006 (June was brilliant also though) and 2013). Like without July in those summers, they wouldn't be half as good.

Really interesting you mention this. 2013 is often mentioned around here as being a great summer. But my recollection and correct me if I'm wrong is of a great 3 weeks in July from about the 6th to 27th? June and August 13 were very average.

Went for a run this evening. Horrendously cold windy and showery. December and January were far more benign just that bit darker.

Really interesting you mention this. 2013 is often mentioned around here as being a great summer. But my recollection and correct me if I'm wrong is of a great 3 weeks in July from about the 6th to 27th? June and August 13 were very average.

Went for a run this evening. Horrendously cold windy and showery. December and January were far more benign just that bit darker.

I'll PM you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jesus lads, the size of the hailstones that just fell in North East Galway! That was intense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

been dry here so far today but that's all about to change, massive showers making their way across the country about to hit here soon, skies are black to my west.

Down in Tramore trapped in coffee shop. It's hammering down rain windy and freezing cold. Horrendous. People just sitting glumly looking out at it.

From like 11 April onwards, Met Office are saying a large area of high pressure could develop (including Ireland) and bring some warm spells interspersed with colder spells but mostly dry and quite sunny. This is not what I expected at all for April coming! The most likely spot that it will centre around is the northeast of Scotland which will bring an easterly flow of air and sometimes southeasterly. If it's easterly, then don't expect warm conditions I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

From like 11 April onwards, Met Office are saying a large area of high pressure could develop (including Ireland) and bring some warm spells interspersed with colder spells but mostly dry and quite sunny. This is not what I expected at all for April coming!

That would be DELIGHTFUL

km79 wrote: »
    That would be DELIGHTFUL

Would be fantastic. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement

Also for the first 10 days of April, though it will be unsettled, it will become gradually a bit warmer with temperatures average everywhere but sometimes even slightly above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Stop dreaming, lads. It's Ireland. deszcz.gif

joujoujou wrote: »
    Stop dreaming, lads. It's Ireland. deszcz.gif

Of course there always has to be a person who rains on our parade of excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

From like 11 April onwards, Met Office are saying a large area of high pressure could develop (including Ireland) and bring some warm spells interspersed with colder spells but mostly dry and quite sunny

Just in time for my birthday :cool: although history would dictate that the weather on that accursed day (12th) will be cold, windy and showery, much like today. I expect nothing more, nothing less.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just in time for my birthday :cool: although history would dictate that the weather on that accursed day (12th) will be cold, windy and showery, much like today. I expect nothing more, nothing less.

April 12th has not been a bad day in my records though of course there are some exceptions

2015: Wet, windy and cool.
    2014: Cloudy, mild with some showers at times but mostly dry.
    2013: Sunny, dry and mild.
    2012: Sunshine and showers. Very cool.
    2011: Very sunny, dry and mild.
    2010: Very sunny, warm and dry.
    2009: Sunny, dry and mild.

^ Recent April 12ths here.

Looks like the headline summary for March 2016 will be "cool and dry".

At least the Parade got that lovely dry sunny weather the Capital is famed for ;)

Looks like the headline summary for March 2016 will be "cool and dry".

At least the Parade got that lovely dry sunny weather the Capital is famed for ;)

Not here if today's showers or tomorrow's ones are heavy because I am nearly at me average total for March now.

Not here if today's showers or tomorrow's ones are heavy because I am nearly at me average total for March now.

But you are sitting in a rather damp spot! - mush be the orthographic effect of Howth Head :)

Casement, DA and Phoenix Park are all showing totals even lower than mine....

But you are sitting in a rather damp spot! - mush be the orthographic effect of Howth Head :)

Casement, DA and Phoenix Park are all showing totals even lower than mine....

Yeah I have very low monthly totals and the 40 year records all average to even lower :pac:. My highest is only October with 71mm.

March 2016: 43.9mm
    Average: 46.4mm

This is how close I am to my average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hottest March Day on record on this day in 1965, anyone know what the temperature was?

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0327/690122-hottest-day-in-march/

Advertisement