Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

CIP4 wrote: »
    After the Golf getting to the point of being quite dirty (about 4k km since last wash) I finally gave it a clean today. For little effort it came up quite well. I have the car 4 months now and I still am a bit unsure about it overall tbh

It most certainly looks the part! Lovely car! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

eljono wrote: »
    What is it about it that you're unsure of? Are you not gelling with it?

I'd imagine coming from an A4 the golf would be a big drop in class, interior build quality (compared to the Audi) and comfort. Once you get used to the power of the GTi over the A4, I'm guessing CIP is just missing that extra quality the A4 would have had?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Unless it was an S or RS model Audi there wouldn't be a massive difference in quality, the 7.5 GTi is very well finished car and much more engaging to drive than an A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Unless it was an S or RS model Audi there wouldn't be a massive difference in quality, the 7.5 GTi is very well finished car and much more engaging to drive than an A4.

Golf 7 even would be finished better than a B8 A4..

Truckermal wrote: »
    Golf 7 even would be finished better than a B8 A4..

Totally agree. I've had both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was his not a B9?

Possibly, I still don't think a 7.5 GTi would be a step down in quality, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Was his not a B9?

Oh fcuk I'd forgotten about that one I was thinking about the one before that... Even still they have a fairly drab interior..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Been over a month but the Mondeo was sold. Put it up on a Friday evening, was gone by the Monday. Fella travelled 3 and a half hours to get it, and didn't even haggle a cent, even though it was priced keenly. Dream buyer. 7 and a half years in the family, been through a lot, first car I was ever insured on and took to the roads on. Sad to see it go. :( Gave it a spruce up for Donedeal and off she drove!

mondeo-1-1.png

mondeo-2-1.png

mondeo-3-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

eljono wrote: »
    What is it about it that you're unsure of? Are you not gelling with it?
    Wailin wrote: »
    I'd imagine coming from an A4 the golf would be a big drop in class, interior build quality (compared to the Audi) and comfort. Once you get used to the power of the GTi over the A4, I'm guessing CIP is just missing that extra quality the A4 would have had?

It’s not really what I expected yet I didn’t know what to expect from it when I bought it if that makes any sense. The good on the GTI the performance is great the handling is extremely good it’s fun to drive. But like the vast majority of time you are driving it normal so you don’t really experience it. It’s a good looking car externally and attracts a lot of attention which I don’t necessarily like. The other positive is it really is loaded extras wise has everything you could want really.

The biggest downer for me is it’s just too small. I had hatchbacks all along and found them fine but when I was used to the larger saloon I didn’t think it would be so hard to go back. I find the boot too small and the cabin just feels small I am 6ft which is not really that tall these days but it means in the golf I have the seat quite far back and my shoulder is almost in line with the pillar between the doors which is not nice. Interior quality and finish is a major let down compared to the A4 it’s doesn’t feel nasty or cheap by any means but your under no allusion it’s very much a standard golf interior. Stupid things like far less ambient lighting than the A4 just makes it feel lacking. On the motorway it lacks refinement compared to the A4.

If having the ~250bhp means absolutely everything to you then it’s a great choice of car as it does so much well and is a good car. But for me when you take the power out of it I am not so sure about it.

At the same time I appreciate loads of people would love the opportunity to own one and I am happy to have been able to own and experience it as the Golf GTI is a real hot hatch icon and so well known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So what are you replacing it with? :D

bazz26 wrote: »
    So what are you replacing it with? :D

Well that’s complicated as I don’t plan on buying an expensive next car. Which is an issue as that would leave me trying to sell the Golf private which will be challenging to say the least. So I may look at selling it mid next summer which by then I would be prepared to take a reasonable hit on it to sell it on. But at the same time there will be a line not going to sell it for something stupid low like 20k just for the sake of selling it as would definitely be worth more to me then that. So will just keep it then if I can’t sell it as I don’t have much of a loan on it.

Next car will most likely be a B9 diesel so won’t be exciting to anyone here really. Mainly because I do a good bit of mileage and my focus will be off cars for a while so a year of low running costs would be nice. Although in saying all that the GTI is not particularly bad to run by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Wife and I picked this up last week after a compromise. I wanted a CLS550 or E63 AMG. She didn't want anything except a 4X4. The X5 is hugley unreliable in V8 form and the ML550 is hard find so this became an obvious choice. Considered a Dodge Durango but they are awful quality inside. Looked at a GL500 too but it was ruled out for being too big. Very impressed especially with overall comfort, the 5.7 HEMI engine is rapid as you want and the standard spec is huge. Currently averaging 12 MPG.

[/url][/IMG]

The old Omani plates, to be avoided like the plague when you seen them on the road up here. Drove one of them for a while when I was in Oman, the smaller engine, think it was the first generation of that model that had the merc engine. had it in Wahiba and didn't do too badly off road. Great car on road for a spin from Muscat to Dubai every now and then. Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Jude13 wrote: »
    The old Omani plates, to be avoided like the plague when you seen them on the road up here. Drove one of them for a while when I was in Oman, the smaller engine, think it was the first generation of that model that had the merc engine. had it in Wahiba and didn't do too badly off road. Great car on road for a spin from Muscat to Dubai every now and then. Well wear.

They are shockingly bad at driving alright. Stay as close to the person in front of you at all times, 5kmh or 120kmh, it doesn't matter! An Irish lad I work with took a few lessons here and was told it is safest to drive as close to the person in front as possible as if you crash into them you won't hit them as hard. Which of course makes total sense.

We went for the 5.7. Hoping to hit Jebel shams soon, but Wahiba is on the to do list too. The 3.6 is fine but there is no difference in MPG so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have to say since they got rid of all the roundabouts from about 10 years ago the roads are safer. Jebal akhdar will be the test, only 4x4s are allowed up that road (unless you live up there).

OSI wrote: »
    If I remember right you’re not even 25? You’re at or near a 6 figure spend across a considerable number of cars some of which people spending years saving towards as a dream car and you’ve managed to find inane unquantifiable faults with every single one of them. Do you think maybe what you’re looking for just isn’t found in cars?

Yes we could probably have a whole thread on this :pac: But yes I would agree with what you said tbh the closest I have been to being fully satisfied with the car I owned was my last A4. The Golf is my first proper performance car and I was sure when I bought it I would just fall in love with the power and think it was the best thing ever and the fact I haven’t has opened my eyes to think I am way too picky.

You are right as-well that if I had spent years saving for a GTI it would mean more to me. I just literally decided I was going to get one and had one bought within about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

They are shockingly bad at driving alright. Stay as close to the person in front of you at all times, 5kmh or 120kmh, it doesn't matter! An Irish lad I work with took a few lessons here and was told it is safest to drive as close to the person in front as possible as if you crash into them you won't hit them as hard. Which of course makes total sense.

We went for the 5.7. Hoping to hit Jebel shams soon, but Wahiba is on the to do list too. The 3.6 is fine but there is no difference in MPG so why not.

I sometimes had access to the V6 when I was in Oz and while a lovely car inside and well built it I didn't think much of the power, then again it is a +2 tonne suv. Love the way you can recline the back seats though.

And CIP would you not ever consider a Bmw or Merc if what you desire is interior quality and size ? Shocked to hear you say that your a little disappointed with the GTi.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes we could probably have a whole thread on this :pac: But yes I would agree with what you said tbh the closest I have been to being fully satisfied with the car I owned was my last A4. The Golf is my first proper performance car and I was sure when I bought it I would just fall in love with the power and think it was the best thing ever and the fact I haven’t has opened my eyes to think I am way too picky.

You are right as-well that if I had spent years saving for a GTI it would mean more to me. I just literally decided I was going to get one and had one bought within about a week.

Best thing you can do is not get any advice from anybody or worry about what other people will think of the car. If it happens to be the likes of an A6 or some other old man car, just buy it if you wanna buy it and don’t feel as if you have to buy a certain car to be accepted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Got a few hours at the car this weekend. Included a touch of the polish machine and some wax to finish.

IMG-20191117-150530.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Best thing you can do is not get any advice from anybody or worry about what other people will think of the car. If it happens to be the likes of an A6 or some other old man car, just buy it if you wanna buy it and don’t feel as if you have to buy a certain car to be accepted :)

+1 on this.

And how much are you looking for the GTI:D

• Advertisement

Same old

3-A9580-D7-36-AF-4-B62-B65-C-8-D9550455-A76.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Got a few hours at the car this weekend. Included a touch of the polish machine and some wax to finish.

Spent a few hours cleaning mine and i realise it's not clean, that's CLEAN!

Coded DRLs from the default 26% to 50% when headlights are on, the are default 100% when headlights aren't on i.e day time.

26%
    26.jpg

50%
    50.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

New car old wheels, 12 V50 D3 auto. Held on to the old wheels from the altea might fit them in the summer, still dialling her in, but love the 5 cylinder diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Up the mountains today enjoying the views.

49090787052_268302ef32_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

My car has a personality disorder at the moment...
    qLfaKo9.jpg
    5XXkctK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

You have the diffin wheels on the wrong end :pac:

'Tis a fine car, hope it's as fun as they are supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Picked this up today, more of the same to be honest. 330d, a lot more kit than the last one. Last five miles home this evening were on a flooded road so here's hoping I haven't damaged it already :D

MVIMG-20191120-183202-01.jpg

IMG-20191120-183116-01.jpg

IMG-20191120-183143-01.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's a bloody lovely looking car G. Looks great in white and few enough cars can get away with white.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Identical spec to my last 330, down to the alloys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Did you trade in the old car somewhere in Cork GustavoFring?

New car looks great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement