Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

Could you not have wrapped them or something? So that in 2 weeks, when you come to your senses, it can be reversed?

It can be reversed anyway. Can do them any colour. If I don't like them in a few weeks I can just go back and get him to go silver with them or whatever. It costs €200 each time.

I presume wrapping them would have been cheaper, but changing colour wasn't on my radar in the first place. They were just going in for a refurb as they were badly scuffed. He then asked what colour or was I sticking with silver and that was when it all started to become a big thing. I like black wheels so I figured I'd try them out. I did a few quick photoshop mocks and thought it looked really, really well (nobody agreed/agrees).

If I end up hating them, so be it. I'll be a bit adventurous for the moment and try out the black anyway. Won't kill anyone and if it is a disaster, it's something I can laugh at a couple of months down the line. T'is only a set of wheels :)

EDIT: as an aside, i saw this when I was away and I liked it (the all-black look). Admittedly there's not as much chrome/silver on this as there is on mine and these are obviously steelies, but i thought the overall look was nice all-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

If you wanted to see what they looked like would you not have considered plasti dipping them in black first to see what they looked like...
    If you wanted to make it more aggressive I think gun metal grey may have suited it.. Just my 2 cents!

weekaizer wrote: »
    If you wanted to see what they looked like would you not have considered plasti dipping them in black first to see what they looked like...
    If you wanted to make it more aggressive I think gun metal grey may have suited it.. Just my 2 cents!

See, the thing about plastidipping, wrapping, etc. are that I know a chap that's a panel beater and sprayer (not sure if 'sprayer' is a job title in the car world, or if spraying cars just falls under the panel beating umbrella?) and he quoted me 200 to get the wheels fixed up and get rid of the damage to them.

Obviously as part of this he was gonna have to spray them (but I never really noticed this and was fairly oblivious). But when he gave the choice, black came into my head. If I started talking about plastidipping, wrapping etc. it'd just turn into a load of hassle and 1) he has to spray them a colour anyway, and 2) he'd probably lose interest at the mention of complicating things and just not want the hassle of doing them at all.

I'll get them back on the car itself tomorrow and when I have them on it I'll grab a handful of pictures. I won't lie, I am very anxious to see it with them on it in black, and see if it matches up with the image I have of it in my head. If it does, I reckon I'll absolutely love it. If it doesn't, and I hate it, in a couple of weeks, when the paint has settled, i can just get them re-done in silver and I'll be back to having just paid the kinda money I'd have been charged if I got them done somewhere in, say Dublin, in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Is the tyre still on the rim?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Now I did see a set of black rims on a silver e90 and I have to say it looked pretty class!!

It's really got me thinking as I already have the silver bit of the equation!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

SNOKHAOS!!!

PhotoEditor-1457077116497_zpsrcyznbv1.jpg

DSC_1071_zpsyn2axx26.jpg

Love the Snow mustache :p

quote="GustavoFring;98949462"]Is the tyre still on the rim?[/quote]

Looks that way. not sure of the process involved or if the tyres were removed at all, but he's not new to this stuff so I'm sure he has his head on his shoulders with ways to do them.

If the tyres were never removed I'd say it was just a more difficult process for him to actually do them in the first place.

They could be a terrible, shoddy job of course. I haven't actually seen them yet. but he has done stuff before for me and it was always excellent. I've seen a few decent photos of other wheel sprays he did and it looks fairly good.

Going to collect them in an hour or so so will see them then. typically enough it's snowing and raining when In putting them back on the fecking car! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're gonna go with black wheels, then red calipers would be a good idea. Otherwise it'll just look like you've lost your wheel trims.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you're gonna go with black wheels, then red calipers would be a good idea. Otherwise it'll just look like you've lost your wheel trims.

It could be a way to liven things up. But I think painted calipers look gak on *normal* cars. Maybe if you have big boy brakes, and grooved discs it can look okay. But it just looks silly on a normal car imo.

So do black alloys :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

It could be a way to liven things up. But I think painted calipers look gak on *normal* cars. Maybe if you have big boy brakes, and grooved discs it can look okay. But it just looks silly on a normal car imo.
    I think the red calipers go pretty well on my car with the gun metal wheels...

Also, its officilly broken in so I can put the boot down now *cough* :pac:

Lv4efqll.jpg

Picture not taken on a public road obviously...

Jayz, go handy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Jayz, go handy
    Racking up serious distance! 1000km per month :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Racking up serious distance! 1000km per month :pac:

I've almost 6k kms on mine already in 9 weeks. :eek:

F..k it, they are made to be driven!

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I've almost 6k kms on mine already in 9 weeks. :eek:

F..k it, they are made to be driven!
    Ive a very short commute, work is 160km per week and I have very little other driving usually. The rest of those kms were just aimless new car driving :D

Its on about 31/32mpg too for what has been fairly spirited driving too so im pretty happy! Id say late 30's would be easy once I settle down in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

6 weeks and just over 2k km. Sent the car to D&D detailing for a coating, should of taken photos before I left.... rain yesterday = dirty car :mad:

One day I managed to get with the car looking nice and shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Picture not taken on a public road obviously...

I appreciate your honesty. :pac:

Ive a very short commute, work is 160km per week and I have very little other driving usually. The rest of those kms were just aimless new car driving :D

Its on about 31/32mpg too for what has been fairly spirited driving too so im pretty happy! Id say late 30's would be easy once I settle down in it!

Ive about a 36km commute each day and every second weekend I collect my son who lIves a nice distance away so that adds to the mileage. Currently around 38mpg avg in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Ive about a 36km commute each day and every second weekend I collect my son who lIves a nice distance away so that adds to the mileage. Currently around 38mpg avg in mine.

38 is very good I'm currently at 36 in the golf

38 is very good I'm currently at 36 in the golf

Yeah happy with that. What's your Golf, TSI?

• Advertisement

Yeah happy with that. What's your Golf, TSI?
    38 is very good! Mine still seem to be dropping (increasing? The good for your wallet direction anyway) the more I drive! I guess as the engine gets broken in it runs better. Its about 0.5l/100km better now then it was week one with no change in driving style and over the same commute!

OSI wrote: »
    At €50 a wheel for a refurb and spray I'm surprised he even bothered taping the tyres.

Would've been handy if he didn't - save a few euro on tyre shine products. :P

Red calipers aren't something I'd be into I don't think. If I was spraying them I'd go black again or if I had to pick a colour I'd probably pick yellow or such (something very bright to tie in with the chrome).

The wheels turned out to be one of those "good news, bad news" things. The bad news is that I know I'll be scorned on here for the rest of my days over black wheels. Good news is that they look exactly how I expected they would, so I am very happy with them.

I only got one quick photo as the camera on the phone was acting up, but I'll grab a better one later on.

20160304_151006.jpg

(I have chrome plastic nut covers that look well on them, but they aren't on the back wheel there. They tidy it all up a bit). In the hour I've had them one thing has become apparent - there'll be a lot more maintenance in keeping black wheels looking clean VS normal wheels. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Actually looks good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

They look a lot better than I was expecting! Who gives a toss what anyone else thinks, it's your car after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

@kkv if you are happy with them that's all that really matters it's your car and you can do what you want to it. It's not like they are dangerous it's just a matter of people having different tastes. Tbh in some ways I thought they would look worse i still wouldn't be a fan but again that's just my opinion and taste. €200 was fair going for repairing and spraying them.

Also please don't spray the callipers black :pac: as you would be completely defeating the purpose of spraying them IMO. People suggested red in order to create a colour contrast so you would be literally doing the exact opposite by spraying them black.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The wheels turned out to be one of those "good news, bad news" things. The bad news is that I know I'll be scorned on here for the rest of my days over black wheels. Good news is that they look exactly how I expected they would, so I am very happy with them.

Fair play to you for knowing what you want and going for it. The fact that no one recommended it, just makes it cooler!:)

I'd say they will be a nightmare for showing dirt as you say. Enjoy the new look.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They look good,

I'd say try to keep them clean/shiny to keep the look up

CIP4 wrote: »
    @kkv if you are happy with them that's all that really matters it's your car and you can do what you want to it. It's not like they are dangerous it's just a matter of people having different tastes. Tbh in some ways I thought they would look worse i still wouldn't be a fan but again that's just my opinion and taste. €200 was fair going for repairing and spraying them.

Also please don't spray the callipers black :pac: as you would be completely defeating the purpose of spraying them IMO. People suggested red in order to create a colour contrast so you would be literally doing the exact opposite by spraying them black.

Ah I know it's all down to personal preference, alright. Sure the amount of cars I see lowered with spoilers bigger than the car itself and stickers all over the windows, and I think they look terrible. But equally there are people that would look at them and think they look fantastic.

Much like people will see me rolling past and whilst one person may think it looks class, the chap next to him will be rolling his eyes.

To each their own. I'm very happy with how they turned out, though.

I did notice that he didn't remove the tyres though. When I was giving them a quick wipe and cleaning the tyres a little, you can see small areas of silver along the very edge. You'd really have to go looking for it, and I didn't notice it until I was thoroughly inspecting them, but, as said above, for €50 per wheel.. (i also think its because it was all a bit last minute, and he has no means of taking the tyres on and off properly. I'd say if i gave him the wheels with the tyres already removed he'd have done the whole thing, but i wasn't thinking along those lines and dropping the wheels off to him was a last minute effort).

It's also worth noting, that, colour aside, he did a great job of refurbing them. Two of them were a fair bit roughed up;

IMG_3409_2_small.jpg

and they're all like brand new wheels now. My next job will be to get a matching set of tyres whenever I'm replacing them (I think there are 4 different brands on it. Not that you'd really notice, but when it comes time to change I'll stick with a single brand for the ould continuity).

In regards to the calipers, I'd do a coloured one if there was a secondary colour on the car. But as it's all just black and silver, i don't think I'd bother.

There are spacers on the back wheels and although they don't really stand out too much at all, they are silver, so Im considering spraying them black, too to tie in with the wheels. Mechanic reckons they're grand as silver as they break it up a bit but I'll see how I feel. They're really not noticeable though so i may not bother at all.

I am contemplating changing the wheel centre caps, but again, not sure if I will or not. I dont mind the ones on it, but I think black and silver ones could look a bit better. Like these:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CITROEN-4pcs-Wheel-Centre-Caps-60-55mm-Front-Rare-Caps-Hub-Rim-Covers-/262222489832?hash=item3d0dada8e8:g:OpcAAOSwgQ9V6kLO

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

5025d5a9-5826-4cc0-b37b-ee8ee60b8eb0_zpsjny67rri.jpg

IMG_1144_zps9m9hy6tf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Love it dude. Hard to believe it's 20 years old! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement