Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Rugby vs Glasgow Warriors, 1930 12/02/16 Sky Sports Ravenhill

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

McCloskey just makes yards at will in contact. Olding looks handy at 15 too. With a full deck of backs you have to wonder why Piteau was signed....not complaining as you can never have too much class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Poor performance but great to get the win when everything's not firing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Poor performance but great to get the win when everything's not firing right.

The trouble as I see it is this. Winning is fine but those last 3 wins were awful. Mince against Treviso, kakk squared against the Dragons - a team bullrooted at home by Connacht - and tonight's misery against a weak Weegies. Poor play, poor concentration, low skill levels and one missed opportunity after another. Then to let the opposition in at the death for a bonus point is extrakakk. Kiss will be irate - in his gentlemanly way. Enough chances wasted to get a bonus point win. It's not even a weak side Ulster put out ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

jacothelad wrote: »
    The trouble as I see it is this. Winning is fine but those last 3 wins were awful. Mince against Treviso, kakk squared against the Dragons - a team bullrooted at home by Connacht - and tonight's misery against a weak Weegies. Poor play, poor concentration, low skill levels and one missed opportunity after another. Then to let the opposition in at the death for a bonus point is extrakakk. Kiss will be irate - in his gentlemanly way. Enough chances wasted to get a bonus point win. It's not even a weak side Ulster put out ffs.

Had to give a thanks for using the term bullrooted. Haven't called anyone a bullroot from I was 15!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

9 and 10 is a problem. I think it's a bit much to expect Jackson to arrive back in Belfast on a Thursday night, come off the bench and completely sort us out.

Marshall and Humphreys (as well as Windsor) are major, major problems.

• Advertisement

9 and 10 is a problem. I think it's a bit much to expect Jackson to arrive back in Belfast on a Thursday night, come off the bench and completely sort us out.

Marshall and Humphreys (as well as Windsor) are major, major problems.

Even if we are missing just one of Pienaar or Jackson we are in diffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

mfceiling wrote: »
    McCloskey just makes yards at will in contact. Olding looks handy at 15 too. With a full deck of backs you have to wonder why Piteau was signed....not complaining as you can never have too much class.

I know what you're saying but as good as our backs are Piutau is better than anything we have. He is that good. This is a guy who man of the match playing for NZ in SA.

Also while you know and I know that Coetzee is the most important signing we have made this year, believe you and me Piutau will put bums on seats.

I genuinely can't wait until next season. I just hope we don't suffer as many injuries.

jacothelad wrote: »

The common denominator in most games where we have struggled this year has been a lack of Jackson. He is the single most important player in our squad...by a country mile.

jacothelad wrote:

Been a tough watch this last few weeks. Glad tonight's was on Sky --> radio for me.
    Team has been consistent and strong which just makes it all the more depressing and concerning.

I still hope Kiss can reduce this lack of focus and concentration or whatever it is, going forward to the end of the season and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    The common denominator in most games where we have struggled this year has been a lack of Jackson. He is the single most important player in our squad...by a country mile.

Yes...and Pienaar has been indifferent really. Alan O'Connor is a great young player. Olding was good and Gilroy was superb - particularly on such a sheeite night weather wise.

• Advertisement

Been a tough watch this last few weeks. Glad tonight's was on Sky --> radio for me.
    Team has been consistent and strong which just makes it all the more depressing and concerning.

I still hope Kiss can reduce this lack of focus and concentration or whatever it is, going forward to the end of the season and beyond.

Ah I think the last few Ulster matches have been great watches. As I said last week I'd far rather watch Ulster play this sort of rugby than the fare served up pre Kiss. Watching Gilroy and Olding rip teams apart is a joy to watch. Also what a break by Stockdale in the second half.

Frankly I felt it before tonight but how Gilroy isn't in the Ireland squad tomorrow is just baffling. There is obviously something fundamental to his game that Schmidt doesn't like.

Especially with McFadden taking the bench.
    I'm very uninspired by it all.

At some stage these exciting players need to get a proper chance to show what they can do.
    Maybe we're going down the NFL route where de-fence wins out.

Especially with McFadden taking the bench.
    I'm very uninspired by it all.

Versatility trumps form and ability.

bilston wrote:
    Versatility trumps form and ability.

Don't forget those all important attributes "experience" and "trust".

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Gilroy's time will come and he knows what he needs to work on. If tonight was anything to go by he has taken it on board and is playing with fire in his belly. Hopefully the saffas get a dose of him in June.

On a side note, Windsor might not be troubling St Joe's depth charts I fear...

rsh118 wrote: »
    Gilroy's time will come and he knows what he needs to work on. If tonight was anything to go by he has taken it on board and is playing with fire in his belly. Hopefully the saffas get a dose of him in June.

On a side note, Windsor might not be troubling St Joe's depth charts I fear...

Windsor wasn't as bad as I was led to believe, but he was kind of hidden a bit and just occasionally passed the ball or took it on himself. The difference between him and Jackson was pretty extraordinary though!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

bilston wrote: »
    Windsor wasn't as bad as I was led to believe, but he was kind of hidden a bit and just occasionally passed the ball or took it on himself. The difference between him and Jackson was pretty extraordinary though!

Sometimes you forget the quality of what you are watching for sure. There are some players you don't see a massive difference between, but some throw it into sharp relief. Sort of like going to Ravers on Friday then playing 15 on Saturday afternoon. Things are a weeeeee bit slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Thought ref let Glasgow get away with murder tonight at the breakdown but Ulster were still poor in this area and have no real jacklers in their team without best. Think Coetzee will be playing a lot of 7. Reidy wasn't great tonight but Henry was looking terrible hopefully he improves with game time, he missed tackles and when he tackled was way too high and was ineffective at the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ulster must be trousering some serious coin these days - 15 or so home games a season with a crowd of 15-18k, naming rights on the stadium, shirt deals with BOI, Kingspan (do they still have the deal with BT?)... they must be generating north of £10m per season?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ulster must be trousering some serious coin these days - 15 or so home games a season with a crowd of 15-18k, naming rights on the stadium, shirt deals with BOI, Kingspan (do they still have the deal with BT?)... they must be generating north of £10m per season?

The big thing was not having to spend a penny on the stadium. The UK taxpayer did that...genius...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

What surprised me from the match programme was the number of Glasgow players with caps to their name. There must be some serious depth to their squad. Relieved that Ulster won and an improvement from last week but still Ulster have started poorly in their last 3 games. This has to be addressed if we are going to challenge for honours this season.

What surprised me from the match programme was the number of Glasgow players with caps to their name. There must be some serious depth to their squad. Relieved that Ulster won and an improvement from last week but still Ulster have started poorly in their last 3 games. This has to be addressed if we are going to challenge for honours this season.

It's easily addressed...start Paddy Jackson in every single game we play.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

As there are only two pro teams in Scotland, every Tom, Dick and Harry is picking up caps there when you consider they played 14 tests in 2015.

I'll never be too worried seeing the likes of internationally capped Lee Jones in the opposition side.

I'd be more interested to see how many players in their squad who possess more than 15 caps which you'd probably almost be able to count on your fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

What's the contract status of Cave and Luke Marshall?

S12b wrote: »
    What's the contract status of Cave and Luke Marshall?

Marshall up this summer, cave 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Buer wrote: »
    As there are only two pro teams in Scotland, every Tom, Dick and Harry is picking up caps there when you consider they played 14 tests in 2015.

I'll never be too worried seeing the likes of internationally capped Lee Jones in the opposition side.

I'd be more interested to see how many players in their squad who possess more than 15 caps which you'd probably almost be able to count on your fingers.

Very good point made that I had overlooked. Still think Glasgow will finish strongly in league though. They have a couple of games in hand and a reasonable run in.

Advertisement