Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas strike general thread (mandatory: read warning in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

listermint wrote: »
    If Transdev said tomorrow morning they are starting a hiring spree, the public would be right behind it.

That is 100% a fact.

Why don't they then? - i'd be behind it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

If Transdev said tomorrow morning they are starting a hiring spree, the public would be right behind it.

That is 100% a fact.

I wouldn't be so sure, all it would do is further inflame things, the only way this is going to be resolved is talking, the company probably think they can soften their cough by letting them hang for a while racking up lost wages and bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,837 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why don't they then? - i'd be behind it!

No idea, im not transdev

cdebru wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure, all it would do is further inflame things, the only way this is going to be resolved is talking, the company probably think they can soften their cough by letting them hang for a while racking up lost wages and bonuses.

inflame what? these bunch of jokers are holding the city to ransom for nothing.

Its already inflamed, call their bluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

n97 mini wrote: »
    The operators have enough time to bring in contractors and get them trained up in time for Easter. Or conversely, the Army could cover it as I'm sure they won't all be taking part in the 1916 commemorations.

All you would do is inflame the issue, I can't imagine the state would be on for taking on the unions, when they know there are more claims particularly from public sector unionised workers in the pipeline. The state probably needs to get back to collective bargaining if they have any chance of stopping the domino effect.

• Advertisement

All you would do is inflame the issue, I can't imagine the state would be on for taking on the unions, when they know there are more claims particularly from public sector unionised workers in the pipeline. The state probably needs to get back to collective bargaining if they have any chance of stopping the domino effect.

The State ? The other Unions ?

There is no public appetite for these demands, Id imagine if you asked other Siptu workers they'd laugh at these fellas too.

This action is ring fenced. These lads are ridiculous they need to cop and and wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The operators have enough time to bring in contractors and get them trained up in time for Easter. Or conversely, the Army could cover it as I'm sure they won't all be taking part in the 1916 commemorations.

not only do the army have better things to do, but what do you think training up contractors is going to do?
    inflame what?

the situation maybe?
    these bunch of jokers are holding the city to ransom

no they aren't. having to get the bus or take the car while not ideal is not "holding the city to ransom"
    Its already inflamed, call their bluff.

call what bluff..

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Hats off to the driver of the LUAS last night who decided he would get into Stephens Green and wait in his cab for 5 minutes, before switching to the other end, who upon being asked why the delay he said "personal break" It was the Brides Glen tram as well and many people were left behind and the display showed

Brides Glen Due
    Sandyford 1
    Brides Glen 2

Because of the delay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Is there any way TransDev could legally dismiss all of the current drivers for their actions (or lack of action)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Is there any way TransDev could legally dismiss all of the current drivers for their actions (or lack of action)?

Legally an employer can dismiss staff for striking yes, but it would have to be all staff taking part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

With Luas Drivers on strike now on Easter Sunday & Monday; will Dublin Bus will change the Sunday service to an Saturday service so people can get in & out of the City for the Easter Rising Centenary on both days???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

GM228 wrote: »
    Legally an employer can dismiss staff for striking yes, but it would have to be all staff taking part.

So what's to stop TransDev training up a new lot of drivers who are willing to sign contracts to accept the already pretty decent salary on offer, and then let all the SIPTU drivers go? Other than the cost of training new drivers I suppose.

This series of official strikes and unofficial fecking about seems to have really annoyed the general commuting public (with near zero public support as far as I can see) and put quite a dent in the Luas brand that was always a pretty reliable and frequent means of transport. I imagine some damage control from the company will be needed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

With Luas Drivers on strike now on Easter Sunday & Monday; will Dublin Bus will change the Sunday service to an Saturday service so people can get in & out of the City for the Easter Rising Centenary on both days???

Doubt it .

Dublin Bus staff would hardly welcome that?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Doubt it .

Dublin Bus staff would hardly welcome that?

Just a through! Dublin Bus would be happy with the extra monies!

Just a through! Dublin Bus would be happy with the extra monies!

I'm sure they would, but could they bring the workforce along with them.

Especially given the reason why.

Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

So what's to stop TransDev training up a new lot of drivers who are willing to sign contracts to accept the already pretty decent salary on offer, and then let all the SIPTU drivers go? Other than the cost of training new drivers I suppose.

Absolutely nothing, but what would the public think of there being no tram service for months or longer whilst a recruitment drive is set up, staff are recruited, trained etc?

Also despite been legal to do no doubt there would be many legal challenges by the unions and the staff which would delay things indefinitely.

It may be legal to do, but not practical or realistic.

If the public get fed up with no tram for a day or two how would they feel about a few months at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

not only do the army have better things to do,
    They don't. We have 7,500 and we're not at war. If the event of flooding the army is sent in, so we can spare a few.
    but what do you think training up contractors is going to do?
    What do you think! Drive trams.
    no they aren't. having to get the bus or take the car while not ideal is not "holding the city to ransom"
    Next you'll be telling people to get taxis, which I think you did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

All you would do is inflame the issue, I can't imagine the state would be on for taking on the unions,

I don't give a flying fsck. The tail is wagging the dog, again, and I happily burn it off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How long does training for the LUAS take?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I would rather see the Luas not run for a few weeks while they train in new drivers rather than give into these outrageous demands and see an inevitable rise in fares to offset the costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

From the indo article
    It said the unofficial action had stopped, so it was deeply regrettable that notice of the Easter strikes had been served.
    Has the diarrhoea cleared up or has the work to rule stopped?
    Or, more likely, have SIPTU backed down after Transdev's threats to dock pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

devnull wrote: »
    Hats off to the driver of the LUAS last night who decided he would get into Stephens Green and wait in his cab for 5 minutes, before switching to the other end, who upon being asked why the delay he said "personal break" It was the Brides Glen tram as well and many people were left behind and the display showed

Brides Glen Due
    Sandyford 1
    Brides Glen 2

Because of the delay

Aren't those personal breaks for going to the toilet? did he drop a log on the floor of the cab?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Aren't those personal breaks for going to the toilet? did he drop a log on the floor of the cab?

Brìd Smith is four square behind these guys.

This is what you voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They don't. We have 7,500 and we're not at war. If the event of flooding the army is sent in, so we can spare a few.

they have their training, various leave, a number will or could be sent on peace keeping missions. i would say they indeed do have better things to do then driving a tram.
    Next you'll be telling people to get taxis, which I think you did before.

i did and i stand buy it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

CramCycle wrote: »
    How long does training for the LUAS take?

I seem to remember someone on this thread saying training was 6 weeks ... would have to check that though plus don't know how accurate they were being.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

i did and i stand buy it.

Only you could stand by nonsense like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

A genuine question, how long does it take to walk from one end of the tram to the other? I haven't seen anyone do it in under 6-7 minutes this week.

I've only been using the Green Line the last three days and the service is diabolical. A tram pulls in to St Stephens Green, already being due to leave,, driver sits in his cab for a few minutes, waits for tram to pull in alongside him, has a chat with the driver at the rear of the train, and walks VERY SLOWLY to the front of the tram and leaves.

The last three nights running I've seen Two trams in SSG with another tram waiting just before the Junction of St Stephens Green because of this carry on. Cue two trams leave SSG one after another and following each other almost back to front. Then normally the overcrowding on the first one is so bad that it runs late, which in turn delays the second tram even further, and then a third tram joins the convoy.

A genuine question, how long does it take to walk from one end of the tram to the other? I haven't seen anyone do it in under 6-7 minutes this week.

I've only been using the Green Line the last three days and the service is diabolical. A tram pulls in to St Stephens Green, already being due to leave,, driver sits in his cab for a few minutes, waits for tram to pull in alongside him, has a chat with the driver at the rear of the train, and walks VERY SLOWLY to the front of the tram and leaves.

The last three nights running I've seen Two trams in SSG with another tram waiting just before the Junction of St Stephens Green because of this carry on. Cue two trams leave SSG one after another and following each other almost back to front. Then normally the overcrowding on the first one is so bad that it runs late, which in turn delays the second tram even further, and then a third tram joins the convoy.

This is what you voted for, no sympathy whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

This is what you voted for, no sympathy whatsoever.

Actually I didn't, I voted FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The company says that from Sunday morning, it is setting a limit of three toilet breaks in any 24-hour period, saying it gives more than ample scope for genuine cases over the course of the working day.

While I don't agree with the strike at all the above outrageous.
    That amounts to the company telling employees they are not allowed drink a healthy amount of water a day as it (obviously) will require toilet breaks. 4l of water a day requires a lot more than 3 trips to the toilet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement