Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Fitness/Nutrition Instructor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I would be curious to see if you got a few of the people that dismiss all trainers into a gym and went through their routine with a good PT how they would get on.
    Maybe I'm wrong but generally the people that make decent long term progress are aware they probably have shortcomings and so would never dismiss the worth of a coach.
    To my mind it would only be people unaware of their own failings and what can/is going wrong that would think it to be pointless.
    Even something as simple as last year at a seminar Hanley held, one guy that was squatting heavier than alot on here was told to move his feet out about an inch. That inch as minor a change as it was kept him much more solid on the way up.
    That was a guy that knew what he was at so what happens if you have no clue and you don't want to flail around in the dark wasting time for a few months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I would be curious to see if you got a few of the people that dismiss all trainers into a gym and went through their routine with a good PT how they would get on.
    Maybe I'm wrong but generally the people that make decent long term progress are aware they probably have shortcomings and so would never dismiss the worth of a coach.
    To my mind it would only be people unaware of their own failings and what can/is going wrong that would think it to be pointless.
    Even something as simple as last year at a seminar Hanley held, one guy that was squatting heavier than alot on here was told to move his feet out about an inch. That inch as minor a change as it was kept him much more solid on the way up.
    That was a guy that knew what he was at so what happens if you have no clue and you don't want to flail around in the dark wasting time for a few months?

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

― Charles Bukowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hanley wrote: »
    “The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

― Charles Bukowski

Great quote, I've read a lot of Bukowski and can't remember coming across it

This is interesting

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/03/04/self-doubt/

Some more Bukowski here

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/bukowski

Warning don't ever buy/read "Pulp", he must have been taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

ford2600 wrote: »
    I don't get the angst some people have against PT's; what your teaching is simple and it's all available for free online is the normal jist of it. I'm a qualified engineer and what I learnt in college is mostly for free online; however the way Dr Mark Davies explained Boundary Layer Theory over two semesters isn't, best of luck getting on top of that with Wiki. Maybe his on Youtube for free now....

A good trainer, with his qualifications AND experience who saves you time by
    * cutting through the bullsh1t on nutrition
    * asssesing how you move
    * dealing with your history
    etc etc etc

Most stuff is up on the net, but for someone starting form a low base in terms of knowledge, a good trainer could save months years of false dawns, no progress and maybe injury. Sure there are guys out there who aren't up too much, but it's not hard to find decent trainers wherever you live.

As an aside the amount of stuff that @transform and @hanley have for free is mental(some other man had a free sessions for ladies I think); yet they are still a pair of shysters, go figure
    this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ford2600 wrote: »
    Great quote, I've read a lot of Bukowski and can't remember coming across it

This is interesting

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/03/04/self-doubt/

Some more Bukowski here

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/bukowski

Warning don't ever buy/read "Pulp", he must have been taking the piss

Interesting. I only heard the quote yesterday on a podcast and googled it this morning to make sure I got the words right. It was attributed to him, guess a lot of smart guys think it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

good trainers can tell YOU succinctly what to do
    poor trainers what to show off the vastness of their knowledge.

Both types of trainers attract certain clients as a result,
    the former gets great long term clients that values honesty and built in trust,
    the latter gets everyone thats looking for a deal and the next greatest program or supplement.

Advertisement