Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Fitness/Nutrition Instructor

Options
  • 10-02-2016 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Heya

So is this online fitness, nutritional advisors who basically work online through subscription is this a new thing.

In work the last week, I have had about ten people coming in with a list, of these new superfoods, foods to eat, and its all the sane list.

So it seems these people are signed up with some lad in galway/Dublin and he does up a meal plan etc...And he seems to be very busy...

Is this a unique thing? Anyone heard of it, all the information seems to be passed on through Facebook...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

This post totally depresses me.

Nutrition has been the same for centuries, in fact, since the beginning of time.

No 'Lads in Dublin' have some secret information about nutrition.

No average Joe needs a trainer of any kind. Unless your so rich or so lazy you can't read it all up on-line.

This post totally depresses me.

Nutrition has been the same for centuries, in fact, since the beginning of time.

No 'Lads in Dublin' have some secret information about nutrition.

No average Joe needs a trainer of any kind. Unless your so rich or so lazy you can't read it all up on-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why pay anyone for their knowledge or experience so? You can find out anything online.

I think that nutritional or fitness advice is so basic and simple that the idea of making a living out of it is quite reprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

colossus-x wrote: »
    I think that nutritional or fitness advice is so basic and simple that the idea of making a living out of it is quite reprehensible.

Tell that to the dietitians around the country so.

That's aside from the fact that people decide to fast track fixing their nutrition by someone who can put them on the right track straight away rather than spending weeks/months/years trying to find their way to the right track.

Fitness advice isn't basic for the very reason that what works for one person won't work for another in so many instances. Fitness advice extends beyond "move more ".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've spent the last 10 years reading about nutrition and I still don't know what the best way is. It's so confusing.

I wish someone would just give me a plan I could follow to take away all the stress and make it simple.

I've spent the last 10 years reading about nutrition and I still don't know what the best way is. It's so confusing.

I wish someone would just give me a plan I could follow to take away all the stress and make it simple.

It's an absolute mystery why people would pay for it, right? I can think of a lot more reprehensible things than helping someone to live a healthier lifestyle, improve their physique, boost their self-confidence, etc etc, after they've tried and failed on their own. That money would be much better spent on booze and fags.

To each their own, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Sorry if my post was a bit ambiguous, basically in the last week or so, i've had a number of people who have walked in with a list of foods to get. The list is very much the same for all of them. As i work in a health food store, i generally seen this all the time this time of year...

From talking to them, it seems to be someone based in either dublin or Galway(can't remember). This person seems to be work online, offering his services with weightloss/healthy eating...

Is obviously not a qualified dietitian, as if he was their definitely the cheapest dietitian ever...Some nutritionalist i suspect...

My question was...Is this sort of thing very common, or is it a fairly rare kinda business model in the fitness/health industry? Well i know there are a few people in this forum with successful business' in the fitness industry on this board, this is why i've ask here....

Sorry if my post was a bit ambiguous, basically in the last week or so, i've had a number of people who have walked in with a list of foods to get. The list is very much the same for all of them. As i work in a health food store, i generally seen this all the time this time of year...

From talking to them, it seems to be someone based in either dublin or Galway(can't remember). This person seems to be work online, offering his services with weightloss/healthy eating...

Is obviously not a qualified dietitian, as if he was their definitely the cheapest dietitian ever...Some nutritionalist i suspect...

My question was...Is this sort of thing very common, or is it a fairly rare kinda business model in the fitness/health industry? Well i know there are a few people in this forum with successful business' in the fitness industry on this board, this is why i've ask here....

It's very common.

I'd could probably guess who it is too.

Might even by Joe Wicks / The Body Coach from the UK considering he was here in the last couple of weeks on a book tour.

What was the price point out of interest? €40-70?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Hanley wrote: »
    It's very common.

Might even by Joe Wicks / The Body Coach from the UK considering he was here in the last couple of weeks on a book tour.

I can't remember, i didn't ask them but someone mentioned 85€ for a 6 week course(whatever a course is i don't know, as it just seems to be all online)

I used to think paying for programs and stuff like that was bull****. You can just find it all online afterall.

T-nation has loads, so does bodybuilding.com etc etc. You can just pop online and download one.

What I didn't understand at the time was that people weren't buying a program. They weren't buying sets and reps. They were buying certainty and simplicity.

See programs you download online have an element of uncertainty. You can't be SURE they work. Hell, I know you can't be sure the one you pay for off some guy online will work either, but the financial investment you've just made creates an emotional investment too.

Because of that, you commit more to the program, and you get better results.

It's like knocking a chick up by accident. You'll probably hang around long enough to make sure the kid's ok.

I used to think paying for programs and stuff like that was bull****. You can just find it all online afterall.

T-nation has loads, so does bodybuilding.com etc etc. You can just pop online and download one.

What I didn't understand at the time was that people weren't buying a program. They weren't buying sets and reps. They were buying certainty and simplicity.

See programs you download online have an element of uncertainty. You can't be SURE they work. Hell, I know you can't be sure the one you pay for off some guy online will work either, but the financial investment you've just made creates an emotional investment too.

Because of that, you commit more to the program, and you get better results.

It's like knocking a chick up by accident. You'll probably hang around long enough to make sure the kid's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think I know you you are referring to. The person I am thinking of does a lot of face to face seminars as well, and I am sure this builds a strong brand that promotes the online side of things. At €15 a week I can see how some people would find the idea of paying for something helps them stick to it better and helps with accountability, whereas if they got it for free off the net they might just give up more easily. It's about the same price of most of the weightloss groups around for example.

A lot of people are not into into fitness and nutrition like the people on this forum and having a meal plan where they don't have to think about what and when to eat takes the stress out of it. It's not for everybody but I can see how some people would find it helpful.

Why pay for financial advice when you can just read Rich Dad Poor Dad or read stuff on the internet for free? it's the same idea. At the end of the day whatever works for you imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's very common.

Sounds like Pat Divilly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

There's going to be huge variations in the standards of service you get off these people.
    I know one guy that does it, me him and another trainer were in the gym at one time and the other trainer walked past him to ask me (an amateur ) how his form was on a lift.
    When someone in the business didn't value his opinion when they see him training in person I think it says alot yet online clients won't know this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭caviardreams

There's going to be huge variations in the standards of service you get off these people.
    I know one guy that does it, me him and another trainer were in the gym at one time and the other trainer walked past him to ask me (an amateur ) how his form was on a lift.
    When someone in the business didn't value his opinion when they see him training in person I think it says alot yet online clients won't know this

Like any sector/industry/profession really to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Like any sector/industry/profession really to be honest.
    and more so from online trainers than in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The information is all available online and has been for years. (I educated myself via the internet). But for all this free info there are many people who are still essentially clueless.
    How long do you think it would take a person, who knows essentially nothing about nutrition, to do their research online and come away with a decent understanding of the topic?
    Bare in mind they'd have to filter out a lot of the nonsense diet advice out there.

I have a bit of a moral quandary, if someone does the whole inspirational/ aspirational fitness thing on instagtam. Yet the example they lead is clearly someone with sub 10% body fat all the time and garden Hose veins 13 weeks out from whatever competition they say is coming up..... are they a spoofer that I should slap?

• Advertisement

I have a bit of a moral quandary, if someone does the whole inspirational/ aspirational fitness thing on instagtam. Yet the example they lead is clearly someone with sub 10% body fat all the time and garden Hose veins 13 weeks out from whatever competition they say is coming up..... are they a spoofer that I should slap?

Isyour Q "should I respect soemone who's able to get someone who is already good condition into great condition"?

Isyour Q "should I respect soemone who's able to get someone who is already good condition into great condition"?

See that's the thing. If he was an actual PT that trains people day in day out that would be one thing. However the guy I'm thinking of is the EXACT opposite of the likes of yourself, he trains nobody so no one knows what he's at. You have done it day in day out for years. Your progress has been pretty transparent.
    But if someone came along that, sorry to use you as an example but physically both of you are sort of similar however whereas you both talk a good game you follow it up with proper lifts and he just gives some good hashtags.
    That'd where the BS Detector goes off. If someone's got garden Hose bicep veins and is suddenly promoting a gym wear brand maybe they're not the most rock solid example for people to follow

What's up with garden hose veins? They're a thing now?

Basil3 wrote: »
    What's up with garden hose veins? They're a thing now?

I'm open to correction but I think they're generally a product of unnaturally low body fat and high glycogen and /or blood pressure

No. To get a plan to say eat this or eat that or follow this eating program or workout this way is completely wrong.

If it were that simple we could just put up a post about what to eat and what workout plan to follow, and the game would be all over.

You cannot be healthy unless you know what the hell is healthy and educate yourself at least about food macros.

Weight-watches plays on this idea that you 'need to be told what to do'. That they have some 'secret formula' that they know about and that 'you' must follow.

All trainers and nutritional work off the idea that they have some 'special knowledge' and the subject submits to their instructions and doesn't learn anything in the process, because the'd rather be told what to do rather than learn a few basic trivial things themselves.

No. To get a plan to say eat this or eat that or follow this eating program or workout this way is completely wrong.

If it were that simple we could just put up a post about what to eat and what workout plan to follow, and the game would be all over.

You cannot be healthy unless you know what the hell is healthy and educate yourself at least about food macros.

Weight-watches plays on this idea that you 'need to be told what to do'. That they have some 'secret formula' that they know about and that 'you' must follow.

All trainers and nutritional work off the idea that they have some 'special knowledge' and the subject submits to their instructions and doesn't learn anything in the process, because the'd rather be told what to do rather than learn a few basic trivial things themselves.

Completely false. People learn plenty. People have choice. They don't have to pay for these services, it's not like somebody puts a gun to their head.

Either people see some benefit, or they just like throwing away their money for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

"ALL TRAINERS" ??? Id back up the bus a little there chief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

I agree with you in principal, but do you not think that's dependant on the individual and a myriad of other factors?

There are posts on this very site that run along those lines, why do you think people aren't doing it?

Again I agree with this in principal, I think most good trainers spread a message along those lines.

Does everyone not know how ww works? I don't think they're selling any secret formula? They've been successful because they've effectively made calorie counting more accessible, and know that doing so in a community provides the most successful outcome.

As per Dominic's comment above, you're painting with broad strokes there. I know plenty of good trainers who try to educate their clients and empower them to make better choices, and like all industries there are good and bad.

Perhaps what you were alluding to was the fitness industry and fitness marketing in general? In which case then we're in agreement but it's all the more reason that a good trainer can shortcut those myths, claims and shaming. There thousands of diet books on the market, (I've heard 27,000+ being mentioned) that's not even delving into the online information or mis-information as the case may be, which ones would you suggest people read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I don't get the angst some people have against PT's; what your teaching is simple and it's all available for free online is the normal jist of it. I'm a qualified engineer and what I learnt in college is mostly for free online; however the way Dr Mark Davies explained Boundary Layer Theory over two semesters isn't, best of luck getting on top of that with Wiki. Maybe his on Youtube for free now....

A good trainer, with his qualifications AND experience who saves you time by
    * cutting through the bullsh1t on nutrition
    * asssesing how you move
    * dealing with your history
    etc etc etc

Most stuff is up on the net, but for someone starting form a low base in terms of knowledge, a good trainer could save months years of false dawns, no progress and maybe injury. Sure there are guys out there who aren't up too much, but it's not hard to find decent trainers wherever you live.

As an aside the amount of stuff that @transform and @hanley have for free is mental(some other man had a free sessions for ladies I think); yet they are still a pair of shysters, go figure

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    I don't get the angst some people have against PT's; what your teaching is simple and it's all available for free online is the normal jist of it. I'm a qualified engineer and what I learnt in college is mostly for free online; however the way Dr Mark Davies explained Boundary Layer Theory over two semesters isn't, best of luck getting on top of that with Wiki. Maybe his on Youtube for free now....

A good trainer, with his qualifications AND experience who saves you time by
    * cutting through the bullsh1t on nutrition
    * asssesing how you move
    * dealing with your history
    etc etc etc

Most stuff is up on the net, but for someone starting form a low base in terms of knowledge, a good trainer could save months years of false dawns, no progress and maybe injury. Sure there are guys out there who aren't up too much, but it's not hard to find decent trainers wherever you live.

As an aside the amount of stuff that @transform and @hanley have for free is mental(some other man had a free sessions for ladies I think); yet they are still a pair of shysters, go figure

So much this.

We're basically saying "hey here's what we do - I'mma show you everything you really need and tell you how to apply it, and if you still wanna give me money for some more personal attention - here's how to do it"

But of course, that makes us bad people.

You know... because we give away more for free than anyone else :confused:

Advertisement