Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticky situation with customs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Still no further on with this today

She has been advised to go above him and complain about his handling of this, he wont return any calls and now shes afraid to use the car incase shes pulled in and it taken off her so complete catch 22 situation

If this whole thing was any way to avoid this or that I woudnt even have put it up here, its just the woman thought she was doing it 100% the right and legal way, now it seems with what some are saying about living in the NI for so many days may be the bit were she is got but sure she couldnt of still used her old irish plate car in the north and she wouldnt of done that anyway but complete catch 22 by sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Good point on the "not having a southern address"

How can you register the car in the south and pay the vrt if you give them a northern address to send all correspondence to?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

As a matter of interest, has the sister made any claims in the State - for example, children's allowance or any benefits whatever from the DSP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

OP,
    If she is living up north there should be toll reciepts etc showing her travelling to work perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

As a matter of interest, has the sister made any claims in the State - for example, children's allowance or any benefits whatever from the DSP?

Even if living in the North the OP would be entitled to Children's Allowance by virtue of working in the South. The question is more whether she informed them of the change of address etc. in a timely way. These changes should have been done before changing the car.

• Advertisement

Even if living in the North the OP would be entitled to Children's Allowance by virtue of working in the South. The question is more whether she informed them of the change of address etc. in a timely way. These changes should have been done before changing the car.

I'm not so sure. I'm almost positive that only residents of the Republic are entitled to allowances. I'm open to correction om that. If it IS the case that she is receiving any DSP payouts then she must pay VRT, imo.

I'm not so sure. I'm almost positive that only residents of the Republic are entitled to allowances. I'm open to correction om that. If it IS the case that she is receiving any DSP payouts then she must pay VRT, imo.

Source for this statement please, half the posts here seem to be entirely without foundation. Didn't David Cameron recently make an agreement in Brussels about the payment of children's allowance for children living in other EU countries?

Source for this statement please, half the posts here seem to be entirely without foundation. Didn't David Cameron recently make an agreement in Brussels about the payment of children's allowance for children living in other EU countries?

Like I said, I'm not sure. It was an opinion I had, and if its wrong, thats ok. I've been wrong previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's for EU nationals living, working and paying tax/social insurance in one country while their children live in a different country. Not sure how it works for an EU national living in a country with their children while paying tax and social insurance in a different country.

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's for EU nationals living, working and paying tax/social insurance in one country while their children live in a different country. Not sure how it works for an EU national living in a country with their children while paying tax and social insurance in a different country.

In general, it works exactly the same as it is based on the working and social insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

canhefixit wrote: »
    Still no further on with this today

She has been advised to go above him and complain about his handling of this, he wont return any calls and now shes afraid to use the car incase shes pulled in and it taken off her so complete catch 22 situation

If this whole thing was any way to avoid this or that I woudnt even have put it up here, its just the woman thought she was doing it 100% the right and legal way, now it seems with what some are saying about living in the NI for so many days may be the bit were she is got but sure she couldnt of still used her old irish plate car in the north and she wouldnt of done that anyway but complete catch 22 by sounds of it

If that was me, I'd sell the car and just drive utter bangers for a while, so when Mr Customs man takes them off me, I could say "fcuking keep it and good luck to you" and drive a different fiddy buck banger next week. Might be tempted to declare it stolen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Personally, If I felt I was right, I would keep driving the car. If they decide to impound it, so be it. To me that would be like giving them rope.

If the car was bought/owned prior to moving up north, thats a different story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ligertigon wrote: »
    Personally, If I felt I was right, I would keep driving the car. If they decide to impound it, so be it. To me that would be like giving them rope.

If the car was bought/owned prior to moving up north, thats a different story.

There is zero to be gained from allowing Revenue to impound the car. They might do it out of spite, knowing full well that this will cost the person hassle and enormous cost. And is the OP prepared to either pay them their blackmail money or tell them to stick it and potentially write off the car? Because I don't think there's an easy appeals process like for the clampers, customs guy knows OP's sis will have to take time out, travel, incur legal expenses and even if she wins, it will cost her more than if she just rolls over and hands over the money customs is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

From what I can see here it's just a fine he's imposing your sister, even when she pays that fine she will have 30 days to register the car in the south and have to pay the VRT. So just paying the fine won't be the end of the matter unfortunately. If he seizes the car she won't get it back until the fine is paid and she books an appointment with the NCT to VRT the car. He can also keep the car until the VRT is paid if he so wishes.

Some people don't seem to realise that the officer knows where she works, if she lets them take the car and gets another they'll just come back again and take that one too. Personally, I would say she was reported by a work colleague.

Can't really see how this can be resolved as residency seems to be the only issue.... Pretty ****ty situation tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

From what I can see here it's just a fine he's imposing your sister, even when she pays that fine she will have 30 days to register the car in the south and have to pay the VRT. So just paying the fine won't be the end of the matter unfortunately. If he seizes the car she won't get it back until the fine is paid and she books an appointment with the NCT to VRT the car. He can also keep the car until the VRT is paid if he so wishes.

Some people don't seem to realise that the officer knows where she works, if she lets them take the car and gets another they'll just come back again and take that one too. Personally, I would say she was reported by a work colleague.

Can't really see how this can be resolved as residency seems to be the only issue.... Pretty ****ty situation tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Thats incorrect, the social here will tell you that but they have been overruled by the EU on more than one occasion.

The way child benefit operates now, the mother and child need not be a resident privided they are dependents on a citizen of the state ie daddy lives and works here. they tried to fight that but again, lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Jaysus eh. I hope I never land a job with that company

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Just an update on this for the people interested

Meeting took place yesterday in the customs office, she went and so did the solicitor, he furnished again a copy of all the documentation he had already been given and was asked for, the customs man was asked were exactly had he the grounds to keep the seizure notice on the car and he said he still wasnt satisifed with the information given!

The solicitor said to him wether or not he is satisifed or not is irrelavant at this stage, he has been given everyting asked and more, and that he will gladly take this to court as my sister is liable for no fine nor have they any grounds to have the car seized

Customs man left the room for about 10 mins, came back in with paperwork in hand, said he had to run something by a colleague, then proceeded to say seizure would be lifted and any investigation against my sister was finished

So it did seem he took it upon himself to pursue this to the bitter end, I gather that no matter what he was going to be given he still would not be happy, not until the solicitor basically said take it to court and you will lose then did he back down, fairly unprofessional and imo just a jumped up power ego officer thinking he was judge and jury

Anyway sorted now, maybe this help someone else out some day in the same situation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

That's great news i hope she follows him for any costs incurred..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Happy to stand corrected and shocked at his behaviour. I'd follow up with anew official complaint tbh as that behaviour isn't acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's great news op.

It seems we have some absolute toooollllssss working at revenue customs and in the police force.

I could never understand why they go after the genuine people and keep going by the other pr1cks that should be done.

I am sick of it and I hope your sister pushes a complaint.

I am in the middle of it with a jumped up little piggy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great news. Its on occasions like this that I'd love if we were allowed to name and shame that pr1ck of a Customs Officer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

Thanks for the update, glad she got sorted.

Unfortunately when dealing with customs things can be very hit and miss. They have massive powers, can arrest people, but are at the end of the day civil servants. Unlike a police force, they are not trained as officers from day one. Most would have joined the civil service as ordinary clerical workers, transfered to the Department of Finance, and then transfered to Revenue, and then customs.

This can sometimes show in levels of professionalism or lack thereof.

If your sister wants to complain to Revenue, information is here.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,277 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Meeting took place yesterday in the customs office, she went and so did the solicitor, he furnished again a copy of all the documentation he had already been given and was asked for, the customs man was asked were exactly had he the grounds to keep the seizure notice on the car and he said he still wasnt satisifed with the information given!

The solicitor said to him wether or not he is satisifed or not is irrelavant at this stage, he has been given everyting asked and more, and that he will gladly take this to court as my sister is liable for no fine nor have they any grounds to have the car seized

Customs man left the room for about 10 mins, came back in with paperwork in hand, said he had to run something by a colleague, then proceeded to say seizure would be lifted and any investigation against my sister was finished

So it did seem he took it upon himself to pursue this to the bitter end, I gather that no matter what he was going to be given he still would not be happy, not until the solicitor basically said take it to court and you will lose then did he back down, fairly unprofessional and imo just a jumped up power ego officer thinking he was judge and jury

Anyway sorted now, maybe this help someone else out some day in the same situation

the guy's name wasnt bruce was it? small guy, strong dublin accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: No names or other identifying characteristics please.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,277 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For the purposes of clarity it was an attempt at humour and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

For the purposes of clarity it was an attempt at humour and nothing else.

It's OK amigo - I got it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

I think looking back over the thread and the amount of different opinions expressed seem to indicate that the customs officer had some reason to be doubtful.

I'm glad that it was sorted out to the OP's advantage (at the cost of the solicitor) but throwing words around like "prick" is unfair to the customs officer concerned imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

cml387 wrote: »
    I think looking back over the thread and the amount of different opinions expressed seem to indicate that the customs officer had some reason to be doubtful.

I'm glad that it was sorted out to the OP's advantage (at the cost of the solicitor) but throwing words around like "prick" is unfair to the customs officer concerned imo.

No, its not. He was clearly on a power trip and wouldn't listen to anything said to him!

And as you pointed out, the OP is down the cost of the solicitor thanks to this guys attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

cml387 wrote: »

Why not ?
    If this story is true then this customs officer is about as bad a prick as I ever want to meet.
    Is it true though ?

Advertisement