Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticky situation with customs

Options
  • 09-02-2016 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

My sis who lived her her whole life until a few months ago now lives in NI still works here always has, anyway stopped by customs due to driving NI car, customs man checks her details yes you live at so and so, you work here etc etc she says she moved back in Oct hence why she now has NI car/insurance/mot/tax, NI bank account, NI doctor, NI everything basically

So she has to provide documentation to show all the above and until then a seizure order is on the car, so seeking legal advise as customs man told her to do she sends in all the docs agreed between solicitor and customs man to be an end to it

Only customs man calls my sis this evening to say nope hes still not happy and seizure will remain, shes asks what the hell more can I show you to prove my particulars and he just hung up!

So she contacted solicitor to advise on what was said and he turns round and says your better of getting rid of the car as the man you are dealing with is a nasty piece of work and he will drag you through the courts until he gets the car of you and the judge will always favour them!!

I know getting rid of the car was not good advise as the order is still on on it regardless but do these customs people have so much power they can nearly harass you enough for you to just give and and they win?

this guy told her he was taking the car off her there and then, then changed his mind he wanted 800e on the spot, then he reached into the car grabbing letters and personal belongings to her, then let her go with the car under seizure, something dosent seem right here

have you any comeback with these fellas at all?

Like she has proved everything she can but he seems to have taken it personally now and just wants the car because he can kind of thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

canhefixit wrote: »
    seeking legal advise
    You won't get it here.
    Only customs man calls my sis this evening to say nope hes still not happy and seizure will remain, shes asks what the hell more can I show you to prove my particulars and he just hung up!
    He is entitled to ask for more information and confirmation. It sounds like she didn't give all she was meant to. It's worth nothing to him keeping the car. As we don't know what was actually given to him it's hard to say. What is he asking for now?
    So she contacted solicitor to advise on what was said and he turns round and says your better of getting rid of the car as the man you are dealing with is a nasty piece of work and he will drag you through the courts until he gets the car of you and the judge will always favour them!!
    I'd get a better solicitor but in fairness Customs are easy enough to deal with if you engage with them.
    they can nearly harass you enough for you to just give and and they win?
    If you owe them money it's not harassment and to be fair I'd hate to be on the wrong side of Customs. Also they generally just move after a tip off and after investigating the person involved. They rarely just happen to stop an innocent motorist.
    this guy told her he was taking the car off her there and then, then changed his mind he wanted 800e on the spot, then he reached into the car grabbing letters and personal belongings to her, then let her go with the car under seizure, something dosent seem right here
    He is entitled to ask for 10% of the OMSP of the vehicle so whatever it was they reckon it had a value of €8000. As for grabbing documents, we weren't there to see. It could be documents of relevance to him, he could have been helping to unload the vehicle, he could be an arse. We don't know. Did she pay the €800? If she did that's what happened. I'd sell it asap and get a receipt to prove it. If she is working down south all her life then I *think* she is tax resident here and should be driving a southern car. My OH is from NI and there was something about that mentioned by here while I was* listening. :P
    have you any comeback with these fellas at all?
    I'd image there is an ombudsman and an appeals procedure
    Like she has proved everything she can
    But is it to the satisfaction of Customs and what they asked for?

Sorry for the short reply but there is a lot in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

There's potential here that they've been watching her vehicle for some time, perhaps well before she moved to N. Ireland. How long has she had the car?

If she has had it long before moving and they know about it, they could be like a dog with a bone.

IE, they don't want her slipping away just because she now has documents to prove she resides in the north, when she didn't originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

IMO its just a powertripping customs man who just because his inquirey has lead to a dead end will just pursue this no end simply because he can, the solicitor told her they are a law upon themselves and they will drag you through the courts costing you big money were it would prob be better to replace the car and be done but sure what if shes stopped again go through the whole spreel again as i said before she works here and he knows were she works an has threatened to just call anytime and lift the car

Would sicken your hole! She is one of these people who wouldnt even drive a car a day out of tax! She went completely legit as per NI rules and still gets hounded for it, sometimes ya just cant win either way!

There's potential here that they've been watching her vehicle for some time.
    I've a friend in Customs who tells me when it comes to cars they tend to only go after people who have been reported to them and who they have been watching so that they have evidence against them when they approach them.

IMO its just a powertripping customs man who just because his inquirey has lead to a dead end will just pursue this no end simply because he can,
    Do you seriously think that?
    the solicitor told her they are a law upon themselves and they will drag you through the courts costing you big money were it would prob be better to replace the car and be done but sure what if shes stopped again go through the whole spreel again as i said before she works here and he knows were she works an has threatened to just call anytime and lift the car
    I think the solicitor is doing you a favour......and telling you how to get out of this easily.
    Would sicken your hole!
    So do tax evaders.
    She went completely legit as per NI rules and still gets hounded for it, sometimes ya just cant win either way!
    Was it the Irish customs who pulled her? They won't care about NI rules.

Anyway, did she pay the 800 and get her car?

• Advertisement

There's potential here that they've been watching her vehicle for some time, perhaps well before she moved to N. Ireland. How long has she had the car?

If she has had it long before moving and they know about it, they could be like a dog with a bone.

IE, they don't want her slipping away just because she now has documents to prove she resides in the north, when she didn't originally.
    S

She has the car since October from when she moved up there, it would be up and down here very regular as her kids are minded at the home place then in and out to her work so it could well be on their radar who knows

He just dosent seem to believe her and she cannot prove it anymore so i dont know how it will end up for her, i just know shes crapping it going to work and back incase shes stopped and its taken of her but shes no choice like she has to get the work

He just dosent seem to believe her
    Well as long as she is legit and knows she it she can have confidence in being able to prove it.
    i just know shes crapping it going to work and back incase shes stopped and its taken of her
    She doesn't sound confident there. It almost sounds like she is aware what she is doing isn't right.

It sounds like customs reckons she spends most of her time down south and that she is using an address up north to get all those other things registered. I've seen people do this unsuccessfully several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,183 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does she spend more time South or North? Residing I mean.

@ ba barabus yeah i do actually think that due to past experience myself, dealing with a hot headed basically out to get you customs officer who just wont back down even if in black and white he is barking up the wrong tree completely

Why would she try to get out of it easily if she isnt in the wrong?!?!

Shes not avoiding any tax, as ive said before she wouldnt even drive a car a day out of tax never mind try to avoid vrt and customs with the amount of cross border driving she does it wouldnt make sense

yes irish customs who stopped her and no she paid nothing, he reduced the figure to 400 also but still she didnt pay as she said why would she pay any vrt when the car is not registered/owned/insured etc etc in the state

@ ba barabus yeah i do actually think that due to past experience myself, dealing with a hot headed basically out to get you customs officer who just wont back down even if in black and white he is barking up the wrong tree completely

Why would she try to get out of it easily if she isnt in the wrong?!?!

Shes not avoiding any tax, as ive said before she wouldnt even drive a car a day out of tax never mind try to avoid vrt and customs with the amount of cross border driving she does it wouldnt make sense

yes irish customs who stopped her and no she paid nothing, he reduced the figure to 400 also but still she didnt pay as she said why would she pay any vrt when the car is not registered/owned/insured etc etc in the state

• Advertisement

yes irish customs who stopped her and no she paid nothing
    Can I ask what reason he gave for releasing the car?

And purely because I'm being nosey now, what car are we talking about here? Normally they only go after something they'd make money on.
    dealing with a hot headed basically out to get you customs officer
    The only time I've ever had to deal with someone like that I was completely in the wrong and guilty as sin. I've never known a professional to act like that without reason. But maybe I've lived a sheltered life.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Well as long as she is legit and knows she it she can have confidence in being able to prove it.

She doesn't sound confident there. It almost sounds like she is aware what she is doing isn't right.

It sounds like customs reckons she spends most of her time down south and that she is using an address up north to get all those other things registered. I've seen people do this unsuccessfully several times.

She has proved everything that was asked to prove residance she has nothig to hide

She is the kind of person who just doesnt want hassle from the law and never has and she would pannick out of the situation more than any thing

She lives in NI and works here, she could of just kept her old car and kept it reg at her old address and drove on not a bit of bother but she do that as its not abiding by the rules, thats the kind of person she is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

I Wonder do they go after all the traveler's on the road every day with N.I reg's as they have no fixed abode .How would they sort them out.

She has proved everything that was asked to prove residance she has nothig to hide
    From the below it seems to be that they think she is tax resident in the south.
    She lives in NI and works here
    Where does she pay tax?

Can I ask what reason he gave for releasing the car?

And purely because I'm being nosey now, what car are we talking about here? Normally they only go after something they'd make money on.

The only time I've ever had to deal with someone like that I was completely in the wrong and guilty as sin. I've never known a professional to act like that without reason. But maybe I've lived a sheltered life.

He put the car under a seizure order and told her she had so many days to present the documents to prove residance then let her go

Its an 08 Zafira 1.9 cdti with about 89k on it

He put the car under a seizure order and told her she had so many days to present the documents to prove residance then let her go

Its an 08 Zafira 1.9 cdti with about 89k on it

At this point what else is he looking for or what has he said as regards how this will proceed?

From the below it seems to be that they think she is tax resident in the south.

Where does she pay tax?

Shes a PAYE worker here and been in the same job for about 15 years, does it make any difference where you earn your money and pay your tax? surely this is a residance thing and by suppling rent book/letter from landlord, tenacy agreement/log book/bank statements/insurance cert/tax cert/mot cert/doctors letter/confirmatiion from solicitor etc still isnt enough what the hell is?

Shes a PAYE worker here and been in the same job for about 15 years, does it make any difference where you earn your money and pay your tax? surely this is a residance thing
    It makes a huge difference.

While she may be live in the north she could be tax resident in Ireland as she works and pays taxes here . Which is what appears to be the case.

At this point what else is he looking for or what has he said as regards how this will proceed?

He still isnt satisifed she is telling the truth, when she asked what more does he want he keeps saying hes not satisifed and warned her that he knows were she works and can have the car lifted anytime

Thats why she got back on to solicitor and he told her that this man in particular he knows off and it sounds like he will not let this go even if the facts are put in front of him, he will take it to court and no matter what she proves she will not win against the revenue and even if she did she would be looking at massive legal costs, so a lose lose scenario

While she may be live in the north she could be tax resident in Ireland as she works and pays taxes here . Which is what appears to be the case.

Shes a PAYE employee she has no choice were she pays her tax its deducted automatically, she does her 8 hours or whatever then goes home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,183 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does she sleep in NI?
    Does she return to her main residence there every night?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does she sleep in NI?
    Does she return to her main residence there every night?

Yes she lives full time in NI as and from last October that is not just her main but her only residance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This isn't making sense. How many days per year does she spend in the south?
    Never mind the solicitor saying he's a nasty piece of work as the solicitor should know that's hearsay.
    So she works in the south, she earns in euro and pays taxes in the south but since last October she is resident in the north.. By that definition alone customs are correct as she has spent more than 185/6 days whatever it is per year in the south which makes her resident in the south and so what she is doing isn't legal.
    If she lived more time in the north and worked physically in the north then there wouldn't be an issue.
    I suspect the reason to keep the car on uk plates is to pay less in motor tax/insurance.
    And customs aren't impervious to the law, if he brought that to court and it was proven your sister was right then it would be struck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

Firstly why would ur sister want to live up there with those horrible people ? Could to hear customs doing good job!

Banned from thread for being a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Why do people post nonsense about tax residency when VRT issues are discussed? Every thread on the issue is polluted with irrelevant and pointless references to income tax and the like.

The OPs sister moved to the North. If this is a permanent move then she should become normally resident there, but the permanence of any move is difficult to establish in the first few months.

Did she inform Revenue (income tax) and people like children's allowance etc of her move to NI? If you are using a 26 county address with Revenue for one thing it is hard to argue to a different part of Revenue that is not your address!

Did she inform Revenue (income tax) and people like children's allowance etc of her move to NI? If you are using a 26 county address with Revenue for one thing it is hard to argue to a different part of Revenue that is not your address!

Errrr that links directly with my "nonsense". You've just agreed with it

goochy wrote: »
    Firstly why would ur sister want to live up there with those horrible people ? Could to hear customs doing good job!

And secondly? I'm dying to see if the advise is as good as your first point.

Why do people post nonsense about tax residency when VRT issues are discussed? Every thread on the issue is polluted with irrelevant and pointless references to income tax and the like.

The OPs sister moved to the North. If this is a permanent move then she should become normally resident there, but the permanence of any move is difficult to establish in the first few months.

You're just after doing the same thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Errrr that links directly with my "nonsense". You've just agreed with it

I have not agreed with your nonsense. At 08:30 the road is full of people living in the North driving NI cars who pay tax in the south.
    Her liability to income tax is not at issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Shes a PAYE worker here and been in the same job for about 15 years, does it make any difference where you earn your money and pay your tax? surely this is a residance thing and by suppling rent book/letter from landlord, tenacy agreement/log book/bank statements/insurance cert/tax cert/mot cert/doctors letter/confirmatiion from solicitor etc still isnt enough what the hell is?

The income tax treatment and residence for income tax is not directly relevant for VRT. VRT has specific rules about residence. You are generally treated as resident where you spend 185 days per year but this can be overridden where your personal and occupational (work) ties are in different countries. It sounds here as if the woman is in a complex category as she originated in the Republic, continues to work there and has significant personal ties there (considering her children are minded there by family members). Is she married or does she live with a partner in NI? Such personal ties would be more significant, I expect. Irrespective, if she is returning to NI each evening, I don't see that it would be established that she spends 185 days in the Republic as general convention, albeit derived from income tax, is that one only spends a day somewhere if you re there at midnight.

This sounds like a genuine case which has become more difficult as Customs are likely acting on a tip off and are predisposed not to believe her.

The law requires that

[COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 12.200000%, 12.500000%)]Proof of normal residence may be given by means of documents relating to the acquisition of property or to employment of cessation of employment or to other transactions carried out in the course of day to day living and, in addition to or in substitution for the foregoing documents or any of them, any other documentary evidence the Commissioners require or accept. [/COLOR]

Tell her to try and pull as many of these together, and send them to Customs asking them for a statement why they are insufficient. Include in the letter a statement requesting them to confirm that, as she is engaging with them, that they suspend any seizure of the vehicle.

Advertisement