Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Watch it as often as you like! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,200 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If your Richie C....
    Then it was you, to a FB group, that's how it popped up. So we're not friends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Here lads whats the story with BJJ teachers in Ireland calling themselves "Professor"?

This ain't Rio lads, You've gone full kenpo.

Never go full kenpo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bambi wrote: »
    Here lads whats the story with BJJ teachers in Ireland calling themselves "Professor"?

This ain't Rio lads, You've gone full kenpo.

Never go full kenpo

Certain associations like ATOS, Gracie Barra and MG Academy have structures which are identical in every school across the planet and use very formal terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The ****e in Gracie Barra of clapping after a technique is explained is cult like bollox hopped in for a session in one of them a while ago and soon as the coach finished detailing a technique everyone clapped once, very strange nearly as bad as the constant ''oss'' ing in clubs with the BJJ photo hands pose,

Anyways theres some of my gripes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

Came across the clapping thing recently too. Caught me unawares all right.

Having said that, I took a long enough break that when I came back I didn't realise that people now fist bump after slapping hands at the start of a roll.

What's the bjj photo hand, if you don't mind me asking

cletus wrote: »

lovato-pose.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cletus wrote: »
    Came across the clapping thing recently too. Caught me unawares all right.

Having said that, I took a long enough break that when I came back I didn't realise that people now fist bump after slapping hands at the start of a roll.

Fist bump. Jaysus back in my day only tools did that. They're all at it now?

Gamebred wrote: »
    The ****e in Gracie Barra of clapping after a technique is explained is cult like bollox hopped in for a session in one of them a while ago and soon as the coach finished detailing a technique everyone clapped once, very strange nearly as bad as the constant ''oss'' ing in clubs with the BJJ photo hands pose,

Anyways theres some of my gripes.
    Never noticed the clap before. I don't oss, but it doesn't bother me, deaf to it now.
    I've actually caught myself doing the BJJ hand/shaka pose a few times. Just in podium photos without realising etc :o
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Fist bump. Jaysus back in my day only tools did that. They're all at it now?
    What wrong with a bump/slap at the start of a match/roll?
    It's no different to touching gloves in an MMA match imo

Mellor wrote: »
    Never noticed the clap before. I don't oss, but it doesn't bother me, deaf to it now.
    I've actually caught myself doing the BJJ hand/shaka pose a few times. Just in podium photos without realising etc :o

What wrong with a bump/slap at the start of a match/roll?
    It's no different to touching gloves in an MMA match imo

Back in my day it was always just a slap. The "dudes" or tools always added a fist bump. Seems everyone is at it now. Obviously grew a lot

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Back in my day it was always just a slap. The "dudes" or tools always added a fist bump. Seems everyone is at it now. Obviously grew a lot
    Both are common at my gym, and in Australia in general. I never thought if was a dude-brah thing. But Australia has that element of surf culture, so shakka sign is normal too.
    If most other guys are putting out their fist after the slap, I guess it becomes normal to not leave them hanging.

I dont compete much mainly due to the price alone 40 or 50e before expenses so im delighted to see more comps being organised in the country I see SBG Tallaght have one in a few weeks and the DCU sub only's are great for the scene 15e to compete is fair anyone else think 50e is a rip off or am I alone?

Not saying the organisers are creaming it in but come on theres no way its costing 50e per head to run a comp, whats the set up like in OZ Mellor?

I see SBG Tallaght have one in a few weeks and the DCU sub only's are great for the scene 15e to compete is fair anyone else think 50e is a rip off or am I alone?
    Dates? I'm trying to find a comp for when I'm home.
    Not saying the organisers are creaming it in but come on theres no way its costing 50e per head to run a comp, whats the set up like in OZ Mellor?
    NSW Summer Cup this weekend - $80 for the first division, +$30 for subsequent divisons (so Gi + nogi is $110, more for open weight)

Smaller event series/league - $75+30 ($55+25 early price)

IBJJF Sydney Open was $90 this year for nogi only.

State Championships were $95 for two divisions, surprised that was cheaper.

Grapping Industries is $90, but that's for round robin format so better value.

TL;DR it's not cheap here either

Yeah not cheap either over there whats with the costs? you sign a waiver so its not insurance is it?

https://www.facebook.com/DublinCityBjjOpen/

theres details there Dec 12th, also one in Blanch the week beforehand I think.

Venue hire, mat hire and equipment hire, paying referees, and staff. I'd imagine the costs add up.
    But at the same time, organisers are pocketing a tidy profit too.

Both are common at my gym, and in Australia in general. I never thought if was a dude-brah thing. But Australia has that element of surf culture, so shakka sign is normal too.
    If most other guys are putting out their fist after the slap, I guess it becomes normal to not leave them hanging.

These days most guys are leaving it out for the fist bump. I'd never leave them hanging

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

I don't mind the fist bumping, clapping, Oss'ing, bowing etc. I don't Oss a lot myself. I'm afraid that Ill end up saying it in a shop or something ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I dont compete much mainly due to the price alone 40 or 50e before expenses so im delighted to see more comps being organised in the country I see SBG Tallaght have one in a few weeks and the DCU sub only's are great for the scene 15e to compete is fair anyone else think 50e is a rip off or am I alone?

The main cost is insurance, that is crazy and many insurers will also require some kind of medical cover on site too and that also costs.

A lot of comps are running under the premise that their clubs insurance will cover a competition and it will not unless its specified.

I know that Ryano Portlaoise has been running a Midlands Submission Only tournament every few months and the cost is €15, its fairly basic but its a great inexpensive way to get some competition rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Anyone know if Satori in Blanch membership would include gym membership to animal barbell or vice versa?

So Dillon Danis threw a hissy fit the other day and refused to shake Gordon Ryan's hand and then when Gary Tonon called him on it he started acting hard doing the "let me at em" thing behind a load of ADCC staff.

Never has a man who's avoided a fight for so long had such a high opinion of himself.

• Advertisement

So Dillon Danis threw a hissy fit the other day and refused to shake Gordon Ryan's hand and then when Gary Tonon called him on it he started acting hard doing the "let me at em" thing behind a load of ADCC staff.

Never has a man who's avoided a fight for so long had such a high opinion of himself.

Ah the 3 if they were in it. Gordon has been giving the MG guys crap for weeks. Garry knews he was stirring it up. Said something along the lines of "why don't you just fight him". I can't help but feel they are all building up drama to get paid for the "superfight". Garry is definitely not serious when he's promoting this way.

Anyway, cooler heads prevail today...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Quick one. Getting a new Gi for the chrimbo and wondering what peoples preferences are.
    I prefer light ones as I sweat quite a lot, especially in a GI. Have a Venum contender 2.0 and find it nice and light but durable so something similar would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

he's going to be going every in a suit soon and demanding a Bentley and saying he runs new york.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Anyone know if Satori in Blanch membership would include gym membership to animal barbell or vice versa?

i would doubt it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Incidentally, since it was mentioned, I saw a good Black Friday deal for Animal Barbell membership on their instagram - 30 euros a month direct debit for 12 months, with 10 months free (Not affiliated with them, no benefit to me, just thought it worth a mention for anyone looking for a gym membership or thinking of the new year).

What's the typical price of a rash guard in Dublin these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Any of the branded ones seem to be around the 40-50 mark.

I picked up a sandeco (I think) compression top in heatons/intersport for about 8 quid that does the same job, just doesn't look all fancy.

I just buy base layers and compression tops and surfing rash guards. Same job half the price.

I'm trying to sell them, not buy them :D
    Not sure if it's feasible yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm trying to sell them, not buy them :D
    Not sure if it's feasible yet

Ah i see.

in that case 8 euro seems about right. I'll take 5 at that price please.

Advertisement