Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Comfort Food

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I came from a fat family so it was just food in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trebormax

Cream of Tomato soup, with a little pinch of grated cheddar on top and some nice soda bread and butter on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

-A nice cheddar or blue cheese, some crackers and maybe a few dollops of onion chutney.
    -Homemade beef burgers with spicy Italian marinade in the mince, lettace, tomatoes, onions, cheese and a nice crunchy toasted bun.
    -Granny's homemade coddle.
    -Another concoction of my granny's making called "Soup"- it's more of a stew-like dish with pieces of boiled beef, potatoes, onion gravy, barley and lentils and carrots. Absolutely delicious and perfect for warming you up on a crappy day like today.
    -Homemade crepes with lemon/orange juice and sugar.
    -Mammy's banoffee.
    -Mammy's Bailey's cheesecake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

After my morning 5km run and 2km sea-swim I like to prepare myself halibut fillets, wrapped in filo pastry, baked in a hot wood-fired oven, drizzled with a lemon and scallion reduction, served on the fossilized scapula of woolly Mammoth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Apple tart or Crumble with loads of custard. Proper custard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sainsburys madeira cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Toasted Guinness brown bread with butter and jam and a big mug of tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Cold Custard, lots of it, in a bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

M&S freshly baked cookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think comfort food is a Winter thing, you know, you feel cold and need something to heat you up (food here lol).

So for me it has to be warm, tasty, sloppy and eat it with a spoon. Simple.

So it's cottage pie with loadsa spuds and gravy. Feck the veg, just get stuck in.

Next is a potato dish, this is my absolute favourite Tartiflette. Google it, it is to die for.

Next is a creamy pasta thing like mac and cheese, the more cheese of many varieties the better.

And then meatballs. OMG. Can be made in advance, freeze em, take em out on a cold day and add a gooey tom sauce and pasta. Nom.

I have just finished a healthy dinner of grilled Hake and vegetables. I am getting hungry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Some wet Kerrs Pinks spuds, boiled corned beef (traditional type with browny centre) and plenty green cabbage boiled in the water with the beef.
    Some apple tart for dessert.
    Put the above in front of me and I'll happily work for you for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If it is a childhood thing then flaked barley pudding comes hear the top of the list,, A milk pudding like rice, but made with barley flakes..Else, varies, but today Dealz chicken and stuffing sandwich..been out all day and aching like hell in every joint and muscle...so food is perforce easy ....as a winter thing steamed sponge pudding with custard. The Heinz tinned ones were childhood things but try the Supervalu ones..I have a problem putting and keeping weight on so anything goes these days! Oh and a new one; home made soup with sweet potato as base and thickener. real rib sticking stuff is that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Some wet Kerrs Pinks spuds, boiled corned beef (traditional type with browny centre) and plenty green cabbage boiled in the water with the beef.
    Some apple tart for dessert.
    Put the above in front of me and I'll happily work for you for free!

Right; which day next week will suit thee? ;) I have a garden needs digging ....

I guess it depends what kind of comfort I am seeking. Comfort from my morning run - or evening cycle - after some of the storms we had in Ireland recently - definitely Shakshuka.

Comfort from body pains after a hard training session or something - dirty great knuckle of roast pork I think.

Comfort from the woes and stresses of the world - generally anything with tons of melted cheese and bacon would be the way to go. Home made 4 cheese pizza with a 5th cheese and cubed rashers stuffed into the crust.

Comfort from cooking and working all the time - well me and the girlfriends go totally carnal on a bucket of KFC once or twice a year. No cutlery. Just a mass of KFC before us and teeth and hands - enacting a scene fitting of Night of the Living Dead - only with chicken.
    foggy_lad wrote: »

I love how you needed to mention the receptacle. As if in not doing so our first image would be of it all over your prone naked body or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bacon-and-cabbage with buttered turnip and floury spuds. Followed by possibly illegal quantities of apple tart and cream. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I love how you needed to mention the receptacle. As if in not doing so our first image would be of it all over your prone naked body or something :)

My tongue wouldn't be long enough to eat it off my own body:D Volunteers always welcome:p:P:p:P

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I'm in need of comfort food today. I'm thinking a massive bowl of hearty vegetable soup with a few slices of brown soda bread with melted butter. Twould do the job.

My tongue wouldn't be long enough to eat it off my own body:D Volunteers always welcome:p:P:p:P

You might want to specify the sex - and other attributes - of the volunteers before you start getting too many PMs :)
    Crumpets wrote: »
    I'm in need of comfort food today. I'm thinking a massive bowl of hearty vegetable soup with a few slices of brown soda bread with melted butter. Twould do the job.

Forget butter. Make Schmand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

Eggs Benedict, runy yolks, crispy bacon, wam buttered english muffin all drowned in creamy hollandaise sauce. Yes poaching eggs hung over sounds like a chore, but damn, it's worth the effort!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

God I am so hungry now. There are 2 things that get me longing for my youth. My Dad's lamb stew with real buttery batch bread to mop up the gravy and my Dad's coddle with loads of barley. I'm an animal for an aul coddle. To make things worse, he's 93 now and no matter how I try I can't make mine the same as his, so my delicious coddle days are numbered. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Cottage, pie. Mines a bit jazzed up but still the basics.

Feckin starvin!

Mashed potato with loads of butter, pinch of salt and a dash of milk. Baby food, but the best comfort food ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Coddle (brown) with ham pieces and superquinn sausages with fresh Vienna roll and loads of kerrygold butter.

Have made it so many time myself and has never been as good as the Ma's :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Crumpets!!

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Crumpets!!

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Sheppard pie or lasagna followed by apple crumble with custard.

Hot buttery toast made with batch bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

A Pizza Hut, a Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Think I'm going to have a comfort day this weekend.

Breakfast: Two slices of McCambridge bread medium toasted, real butter, crisp quality streaky bacon and a poached egg on top.

Light Lunch: Spagetti Carbonara done the authentic way.

Dinner: Creamy mash, creamy spinach and a rare fillet steak.

Late night feast while watching TV: Goodfellas deep pan pepperoni followed by a cold wispa and glass of milk before bed. I normally go for a proper pizza but when it comes to comfort, the one above hits the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've enjoyed reading this thread but can't come up with anything I'd consider comfort food. Maybe I never have the need or maybe I just don't put much store by food but...no...nothing comes to mind at all.

Advertisement