Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Comfort Food

Options
  • 09-02-2016 3:08am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is your comfort food? The food that evokes memories of your mother's cooking when you were young. The food that you turn to for comfort.

For me it's tomato soup, boiled spuds, home made beef burgers, toasted ham & cheese sandwich and roast chicken with stuffing and roast potatoes.

Your comfort food?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Beans on toast
    Mash and brocolli

Chips beans & fried egg!!!
    Yum yum

I'm going to have this tomorrow now you have put it in my head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Mac n cheese mainly, probably due to my early years in Canada. I think it's the first food I remember eating. I love Cauliflower cheese too.

Nom nom nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Baked beans and mashed potatoes. Ahhhh mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

A dish my Italian grandmother would make if I was sick; spaghetti with olive oil and lots of onions and garlic. So good :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Cinnamon toast. You'd have to be close to death's door to get it but I'd nearly die all over again for some..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Pretty much any meat with baked beans and mash. If I have a favourite.... it's cheap chicken kievs. You know the own brand ones with ham and cheese or garlic butter along with chicken that may not be chicken. Two of them bad boys with a can of baked beans and creamy mash..... heeeeeeaven. edit: that's just my comfort food. My mother wouldn't be serving that to me :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Spaghetti with a tomato and herb sauce. My mom had the mix of onions, garlic and herbs and the cooking of the tomatoes down to a very fine art.

Bread dumplings with wild mushroom sauce - a dish we'd only ever have in late summer/autumn when the mushrooms were in season and we'd spent the day picking them in the forest.

And white asparagus, with just a little brown butter and fresh chives. Food of the gods, and again only available for a short time each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

I always loved the simplest of dishes and the most comfortable thing I would have, would be my fathers stew. Even now when I'm older, and living out of home, if I am talking to my mother she would say "your father is making stew tomorrow" all other dinner plans go out the door and I arrive home for it. It's just vegetables (leeks, carrots, other root veg), herbs (thyme, rosemary, bay leaf) and meat (lamb usually). I'd often enjoy it with a Guinness. I'll never be able to make it like him, which is kind of annoying. I think he knows that too, the bugger.

Other than that, it would be cheeses and crackers with a nice red wine. And some fiery doritoes / tortilla chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hug Sandwiches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Prawn cocktail. I love the stuff and a bowl of it, and some crusty bread to wipe up the sauce, makes everything better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I love a big bowl of spaghetti bolognese with loads of cheese dumped on top of it. Also love a roast dinner with loads of stuffing and roasties. I was feeling miserable last week (winter is getting to me) and I bought an apple pie. Had it with warm custard and followed it up with a hot chocolate which had loads of mini marshmallows. Felt a lot better after that :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 333 ✭✭BigJackC

Sausages, mash, fried onions and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A big feed of ribs n' cabbage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Scrambled eggs on toast. It was my mother's go-to when I was under the weather as a kid and it's my go-to nowadays.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Throw about 4 sausages into the mix and you've got yourself a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Roast chicken, spuds, carrot & parsnip mash & gravy, loads and loads of gravy*.

*controversially, I like the gravy on the potatoes & veg but not on the chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A few luncheon blaas if I'm back home in the folks gaff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Cottage Pie with no carrots and extra peas and spuds on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Mashed spuds with butter, covered with gravy from the roast beef.

Can't think of anything nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 333 ✭✭BigJackC

Your grannies coddle with brown bread and Kerrygold butter for dipping was always a winner. Washed down with a glass of ice cold milk. Any type of stew, actually.

The business on days like today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

fresh homemade hummus and flat bread

I do like cheese and crackers too

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Comfort food - sausages on white batch bread with a poached egg with a baileys coffee.

Memories - Granny's Apple tart, I can still vividly remember the sweet Apple/ pastry smell from the AGA in the kitchen.

Goose fat roast potatoes in my old job..! So crispy and greasy! 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

2 different things my dad cooks. Hes Italian and a chef so you know your going to be getting good food.

1st is his Carbonara no cream in it cooked the proper way my grandmother cooks it pancetta, eggs and Cheese how i miss getting this once a week.

Then the next is his chicken milanese and with cheese in the breadcrumbs as well yum. Then on the side he gives me peppers, owens and pattdos as roasted with each other and thinking of the test is making me hungry ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

A bowl of shreddies
    Scrambled egg on buttery toast
    A meatball marinara sub
    Spaghetti bolognese
    Stuffed crust pizza from takeaway
    A large bag of maltesers or maynards wine gums

My ultimate right now is a chicken or pork burrito with rice, beans lettuce and sour cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

My grandad always made me banana sandwiches and also runny eggs with soldiers. He would pour a bit of salt on the side of the plate and top the egg up with salt every now and then. I remember my mam thinking it was weird when I asked her for the salt and started pouring it out on the plate and then taking a little bit and sprinkling it onto the egg. I still love runny eggs with soldiers but I leave out the salt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

A butter and strawberry jam scone, still warm from the oven :) nice hot cup of tea to boot and I'm a happy man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Some people have super fancy comfort food!

I can't really think of anything. I have food I like but nothing specific I'd look for if I was in need of comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

This with a fried egg ,onions and lashings of butter all mashed up together.

Advertisement