Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Over the past months I have had horrible speeds (<1 Mbps) in the evening and had numerous calls with them.

I was fed up, ordered Eir mobile broadband - a) as a backup, b) potentially replacement of Imagine.

And now.. well I did some speedtests over the past few evenings and back to really good speeds with Imagine - 80- 100Mbps. Long may it last.
    So I wonder if other people have seen improvements as well over the last few days ?

Will keep the Eir package active as it has less latency issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've noticed over the last week or so that if I try and upload a 100MB file my connection goes down.
    My upload speed is only around 1.5 Mbps but it should still work, just slowly.
    I create a PDF episode guide for a podcast, and that's what I'm trying to upload.
    Really weird that my whole connection goes down (at about 50-75% through the upload) and I have to reboot the router.
    Anybody else seen anything similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭keithoh

Over the past months I have had horrible speeds (<1 Mbps) in the evening and had numerous calls with them.

I was fed up, ordered Eir mobile broadband - a) as a backup, b) potentially replacement of Imagine.

And now.. well I did some speedtests over the past few evenings and back to really good speeds with Imagine - 80- 100Mbps. Long may it last.
    So I wonder if other people have seen improvements as well over the last few days ?

Just off the phone from Imagine myself and getting nowhere. Basically the 1Tb FUP is pure PR.

The way the allowance works is that they take the average customer usage of 270G a month and double it and then divide that by the number of days in the month and that is your allowance a day at full speed. Anything over this and they will de-prioritize your connection. So basically they are still only allowing around 20Gb a day at full speed

keithoh wrote: »
    Just off the phone from Imagine myself and getting nowhere. Basically the 1Tb FUP is pure PR.

The way the allowance works is that they take the average customer usage of 270G a month and double it and then divide that by the number of days in the month and that is your allowance a day at full speed. Anything over this and they will de-prioritize your connection. So basically they are still only allowing around 20Gb a day at full speed

They never told me anything about that- and that that was the reason for my slow speeds ... It was always around my wifi set up, clients taking up bandwith and all sorts of other issues they felt no responsibility for.

If they would have told me it is the FUP ,at least I would have known.. it explains no more issues now as I am also using the EIR connection so use less of Imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

My connection has been horrible in recent days. Particularly upload.

I'm honest to god so fed up of this, but I don't have another option. Signal for mobile broadband is horrible where I am too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Could be working from home people going back to work and less home school activity as that dies down improving things
    There was a definite slow down here at odd times of the day since lockdown

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Could be working from home people going back to work and less home school activity as that dies down improving things
    There was a definite slow down here at odd times of the day since lockdown

Agree - but I don't understand how this impacts post 21.30 speeds :)

They never told me anything about that- and that that was the reason for my slow speeds ... It was always around my wifi set up, clients taking up bandwith and all sorts of other issues they felt no responsibility for.

If they would have told me it is the FUP ,at least I would have known.. it explains no more issues now as I am also using the EIR connection so use less of Imagine..

Just reviewing my usage - and it makes absolute sense now..

When I had my issues- just over 20 GB/day (like 20.8- 22)
    Nowadays , with Eir also available, it is more like 12-15 and no issues

Thanks for unravelling my mystery- just wish Imagine could have told me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Thanks for unravelling my mystery- just wish Imagine could have told me

Don't you mean you wish they didn't misrepresent the service they are selling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Wing126 wrote: »
    My connection has been horrible in recent days. Particularly upload.

I'm honest to god so fed up of this, but I don't have another option. Signal for mobile broadband is horrible where I am too.

Have you tried all networks for the mobile broadband option ? I get up to 20 MB on Three for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Daz_ wrote: »
    Have you tried all networks for the mobile broadband option ? I get up to 20 MB on Three for example

I've used all of the mobile networks on my phone at one point and signal/speed weren't great at all. Enough for light browsing sure, but not enough for working from home or any intensive use.

I have a Vodafone mobile broadband unit that work gave me for when imagine gets too bad and even then it's not an improvement.

I wouldn't mind, but I live very close to Drogheda and I think a 3 Mast is a stone's throw away, but I've been on 3 as a mobile customer and as I said above, speeds weren't great for anything other than browsing. That being said I've been with Vodafone for about 2 years now so I'm not sure if 3 have improved in my area in that time. Edit: just checked 3's coverage map and it's the same as it was when I was using 3, so I don't think it has changed.

Up until recently Imagine have been serviceable and the best option for me and my usage, but they really cannot handle congestion with everybody being home and lately the speeds have been diabolical.

I believe my area will be one of the last to be surveyed for the NBP also, so in terms of wired broadband, I only have Eir as my option and it's copper cable with an absolute max speed of 2mbps, if memory serves, I've been with Imagine since 2015 or 2016.

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Don't you mean you wish they didn't misrepresent the service they are selling you.

To be quite honest, it has been a few years, so don't even remember what they sold me, I think at the time it was 20Gb/day cap.

Yes, I am not happy that they communicated various different (ambiguous and as it seems, untrue) messages about FUP, but I am much more annoyed, they have had me on the phone for hours (not joking) - completely unnecessarily it transpires now.

But as many here, not much choice than to swallow it and move on. In my case it means have another mobile broadband connection available to complement the cap. I can live with that until Starlink comes along for all of us :)

(And yeah - I know that is wishful thinking, but what else can you do)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭mossie

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I've noticed over the last week or so that if I try and upload a 100MB file my connection goes down.
    My upload speed is only around 1.5 Mbps but it should still work, just slowly.
    I create a PDF episode guide for a podcast, and that's what I'm trying to upload.
    Really weird that my whole connection goes down (at about 50-75% through the upload) and I have to reboot the router.
    Anybody else seen anything similar ?

Yeah, had this happen 10 days ago. Couldn't download anything, rebooting solved it for a while. I eventually found my PC was syncing a folder to OneDrive and the upload was killing my download speed.

wow
    outdoing Gonzo this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

wow

I would gladly allow my eye teeth to be extracted for speeds like that. Imagine cannot tell me if anyone in my area has their service. Can anyone give me a photo of the box they install and I can take off around the area and try to find someone already on it and ask how it is?

I'd love to get about 3Meg up to do some streaming, but not a hope :( although I get fairly good download speeds

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wow

getting close but I get about 285/49.

But those are great speeds for Imagine even if they are mostly at at night and early in the day. Shows what their network is capable of if they hadn't oversubscribed their network.

I will probably move to a new provider soon as Eir seem to have no interest in upgrading to the 500mb profile from 300.

Gonzo wrote: »
    getting close but I get about 285/49.

But those are great speeds for Imagine even if they are mostly at at night and early in the day. Shows what their network is capable of if they hadn't oversubscribed their network.

I will probably move to a new provider soon as Eir seem to have no interest in upgrading to the 500mb profile from 300.

What do you need the 300 service for?
    I'm hoping to get the point to point going here shortly, have the gear

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

What do you need the 300 service for?
    I'm hoping to get the point to point going here shortly, have the gear

mainly for that 50meg upload speed. I need that for uploading videos and large files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fromhome

Imagine Broadband - it's dis-improved in recent times ...
    I'd be really grateful if anyone can help find out why? - Thanks in advance

From Kilkenny User - working from home - (trying to ...)

DOWNLOAD: 3.06 Mbps UPLOAD: 5.13 Mbps
    Amazed to find Download speed lower than Upload speed ! - What possible explanation could there be?

From speedtest.net on June 19 at 16:16

• Advertisement

fromhome wrote: »
    Imagine Broadband - it's dis-improved in recent times ...
    I'd be really grateful if anyone can help find out why? - Thanks in advance

From Kilkenny User - working from home - (trying to ...)

DOWNLOAD: 3.06 Mbps UPLOAD: 5.13 Mbps
    Amazed to find Download speed lower than Upload speed ! - What possible explanation could there be?

From speedtest.net on June 19 at 16:16

sounds like contention kicking in, too many customers using the service at the same time so your download speed is buckling under the strain. Your upload speed is in the acceptable range for Imagine (5 to 10 megs).

Can anyone oblige me with photo of the box Imagine install on the outside please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

So anyone get the text about updates to the modem/router? if so whats new?

I got this text yesterday:
    URGENT BROADBAND MESSAGE - Hi, due to significant increases in internet usage country wide, we need to make some adjustments to your outdoor broadband unit.
    This is a critical upgrade to free up much needed broadband capacity both locally for you and to our national broadband network. Please call us on 01 481 8406 now so we can make these changes quickly.
    I rang them and they are going to try me on a new mast and upgrade my equipment - or if they can't get me on the new mast, just upgrade the equipment.
    I got the newer equipment less than a year ago, so I'm a bit confused.
    Anyhow, we'll see - they're coming tomorrow

Imagine masts are 2 a penny these days
    I've a line of sight to 3 of them

Fingers crossed it'll improve my upload speed beyond 1.5....

Can anyone oblige me with photo of the box Imagine install on the outside please?

Apparently not.

Can anyone oblige me by describing the box Imagine installs on the outside please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

WW1,

The pic has already been posted a few times over the past year. here is a link to one of the posts.... page 475, ppost 7114 if the link fails.....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=111325022

Apologies, misread your post, thought you were asking about the router...

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭keithoh

Apparently not.

Can anyone oblige me by describing the box Imagine installs on the outside please?

Here's a couple of photos of the equipment installed on the outside of our house

• Advertisement

Here's ours: IMG-20200627-121331.jpg

Advertisement