Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I've had mine in bridge mode since set up over 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I've had mine in bridge mode since set up over 3 years ago

So have I, but it wasn't easy to achieve. At the time it was a custom set up and took months to get it sorted.

It seems like now it's something they actually offer and support routinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

My speed had been erratic in recent days having been rock solid at 70Mbps since I got it in December. Now it's mostly between 25 and 35 but on occasion it seems I've no connection at all for several minutes. I'm worried that it may be due to the leaves coming back on the trees as there's a few 300m away in the direction of the mast. I can't be sure if this is an issue as I'm looking from ground level. Anyone have similar issues before?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Anyone here got help from Imagine to set up a mesh system with it?
    Wifi is bad in places around the house so I was thinkin of maybe getting the NEst Wifi setup.

I just want to ask about it before I go buy something and then find out its a non-runner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

vidapura wrote: »
    Anyone here got help from Imagine to set up a mesh system with it?
    Wifi is bad in places around the house so I was thinkin of maybe getting the NEst Wifi setup.

I just want to ask about it before I go buy something and then find out its a non-runner.

I'm running a Netgear Orbi solution currently , with the Netgear device in AP mode , although I'm looking to change over and use it as the full router , which it seems Imagine are now ok with - see posts above..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Do imagine have a daily limit before they throttle you? According to the app I've used 18.8Gb today and my speed is down to 500kbps. I'm not sure if they have throttled me or is the speed just s#it this evening. Usually I get 20-30Mbps peak on the Tralee mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SQLDBA

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Do imagine have a daily limit before they throttle you? According to the app I've used 18.8Gb today and my speed is down to 500kbps. I'm not sure if they have throttled me or is the speed just s#it this evening. Usually I get 20-30Mbps peak on the Tralee mast.

That’s terrible speeds. Even with throttling you’d expect no less than 3Mbps after being throttled.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

morgana wrote: »
    The way I understood it bridge mode needs a certain unit (white in my case) that has software capable of bridging. The black box I had before is apparently not capable of acting just as a modem.

Glad to hear you got that crazy indefinite cap listed, very strange that there was phantom usage being reported.

Could you grab the model number of your white modem? I wouldn't mind getting bridge mode sorted out myself - been several times now where I've tried to host a game from my PC and resorted to using hamachi instead. Didn't want to go thru support just to port forward.

At the same time my network is working pretty well as is with my asus router in access point mode so might not be worth poking the hornets nest.

Sorry, just interested, what app are you talking about?
    Is there an Imagine app??

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I'm running a Netgear Orbi solution currently , with the Netgear device in AP mode , although I'm looking to change over and use it as the full router , which it seems Imagine are now ok with - see posts above..

Oh right.. so you replace the little white box entirely?

Orbi seems to be the expensive solution, do you find it good?
    Tp-Link Deco M4 is around for £99 at the moment.. but its probably pretty out of date these days is it?
    Wife likes the idea of the Nest Wifi.. I'm not sure I want google listening... heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Jesus, whoever is running technical support for Imagine at the minute, or at least whoever is dealing with me, must be drunk.

Got an email that is completely riddled with spelling mistakes and shockingly poor grammar, the kind of mistakes you'd make while pissed trying to drunk message your ex at 3am on a Sunday morning. Called them up to make sure the email was legit and it did in fact come from Imagine's tech support....

wihjX2f.png

Forgot to mention that they quoted an account number in the email that's not even mine also.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Oh right.. so you replace the little white box entirely?

Orbi seems to be the expensive solution, do you find it good?
    Tp-Link Deco M4 is around for £99 at the moment.. but its probably pretty out of date these days is it?
    Wife likes the idea of the Nest Wifi.. I'm not sure I want google listening... heh.

The Imagine Box is still required , it's the modem bringing the connection into the house . The Mesh router will just control everything else in terms of Wifi , IP addresses etc.

The Orbi works well for me - I have the router and 2 Satellites covering my house.

The router is upstairs in my Home office and then I have a satellite in the main living room and another in my sons room , that way all the primary data consumers - My Office , the main TV in the house and my sons XBox all have a wired connection and we get very solid Wifi coverage across the house.

I was using a combination of wifi extenders and powerline adapters but the Orbi solution is much more robust and consistent. There was a huge drop off in speeds when connecting via the Powerline or the extenders previously - If I was getting 75Mb/s from the wired connection directly to the router , the powerline connections would be down in the 15Mb/s range for example.

Now , everyone gets very close to the maximum reported speed, regardless of location in the house , which is really all I wanted from the set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Could you grab the model number of your white modem? I wouldn't mind getting bridge mode sorted out myself - been several times now where I've tried to host a game from my PC and resorted to using hamachi instead. Didn't want to go thru support just to port forward.

It's a Gemtek WVRTM-130ACM
    imported by Gemtek CZ

morgana wrote: »
    It's a Gemtek WVRTM-130ACM
    imported by Gemtek CZ

Mine is also a white Gemtek , but it's a WVRTM-127ACN , I've had it about 3 years so obviously there's been a few updates since then.

Wonder will I need a new box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

He mentioned just that the Gemtek box has software enabling bridge mode. So most likely it would not need new hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Sorry, just interested, what app are you talking about?
    Is there an Imagine app??

Sorry it's not an app, they have a portal where you can track your usage.https://lteportal.imagine.ie/portal/login/login

Thanks, thats really interesting.
    I have a tplink powerline av500 going to the telly and its dropping from 120Mbps to about 10.. shockin..

Your post is very helpful now, cos its very hard from the reviews to get a proper sense of what the speed drop is at the satellites for a lot of these Mesh systems.

So, you're getting out at the satellite almost what you are getting at the main router? Brilliant.
    Do you mind if I ask which model you got? The RBK14 ? Or one of the tri-band ones?

Thanks

The Imagine Box is still required , it's the modem bringing the connection into the house . The Mesh router will just control everything else in terms of Wifi , IP addresses etc.

The Orbi works well for me - I have the router and 2 Satellites covering my house.

The router is upstairs in my Home office and then I have a satellite in the main living room and another in my sons room , that way all the primary data consumers - My Office , the main TV in the house and my sons XBox all have a wired connection and we get very solid Wifi coverage across the house.

I was using a combination of wifi extenders and powerline adapters but the Orbi solution is much more robust and consistent. There was a huge drop off in speeds when connecting via the Powerline or the extenders previously - If I was getting 75Mb/s from the wired connection directly to the router , the powerline connections would be down in the 15Mb/s range for example.

Now , everyone gets very close to the maximum reported speed, regardless of location in the house , which is really all I wanted from the set-up.

Ohh right.. Jeez, I had forgotten about that .. heh..

Actually I now notice that the pricks charged me a "Failed payment charge" of €10 there two months ago..
    Thats a disgrace..
    My credit card got fraudulent charges, so AIB replaced it.
    I didn't tell Imagine. (cos who thinks of these things?)

Then, a week later, Imagine rang me cos the payment failed to go through. I gave them a different card number.. all was fine... but nobody said anything about a failed payment charge.

What a bunch of crooks.
    Sorry it's not an app, they have a portal where you can track your usage.https://lteportal.imagine.ie/portal/login/login

Thanks, thats really interesting.
    I have a tplink powerline av500 going to the telly and its dropping from 120Mbps to about 10.. shockin..

Your post is very helpful now, cos its very hard from the reviews to get a proper sense of what the speed drop is at the satellites for a lot of these Mesh systems.

So, you're getting out at the satellite almost what you are getting at the main router? Brilliant.
    Do you mind if I ask which model you got? The RBK14 ? Or one of the tri-band ones?

Thanks

I got the RBK50 setup.

I'd say the speed loss is at most 10-15% , so if I am getting ~75Mb/s at source , devices connected to the Satellites are getting ~65Mb/s or thereabouts at worst - I actually don't see a massive difference between wired vs. wireless either in terms of the ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

I got the RBK50 setup.

Top of the range Mesh system, probably overkill for Imagine :)
    Could shift 400-500 mbits wireless across the house easy without speed dropping....it has to be installed properly too. ( finding the best location for the satellites/router could be tricky ....no difference if source only 75 mbits though,not a challenge for this system.)

• Advertisement

alec76 wrote: »
    Top of the range Mesh system, probably overkill for Imagine :)
    Could shift 400-500 mbits wireless across the house easy without speed dropping....it has to be installed properly too. ( finding the best location for the satellites/router could be tricky ....no difference if source only 75 mbits though,not a challenge for this system.)

Oh it definitely is .. but It's not something I plan to replace for quite some time so I decided to future-proof for when the National Broadband plan gets here!! :-) - so , many years from now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 baileyborough

Question lads. Can you cancel a broadband plan early for ridiculously poor speeds?

I was over the moon with Imagine when I got them, but pretty soon after the cooling off period, those speeds started dropping fast.

Now, with the current situation, I'm stuck working from home for the foreseeable (till Jan anyhow), and I rarely get faster than 2Mbps speeds. I genuinely can't remember a time when it cleared 6.

I'm quite limited with my options (working on that), but if I have to, can I use this as grounds for early termination, without the ridiculous fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Question lads. Can you cancel a broadband plan early for ridiculously poor speeds?

I was over the moon with Imagine when I got them, but pretty soon after the cooling off period, those speeds started dropping fast.

Now, with the current situation, I'm stuck working from home for the foreseeable (till Jan anyhow), and I rarely get faster than 2Mbps speeds. I genuinely can't remember a time when it cleared 6.

I'm quite limited with my options (working on that), but if I have to, can I use this as grounds for early termination, without the ridiculous fees?

When they came to sign me up and I told them my fixed line was under 2mb their salesman was adamant I could have cancelled to join Imagine

It's breaking my heart now to be honest. And it's starting to affect my work. I'm genuinely worried about the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

When they came to install mine I was told beforehand over the phone by their connection team that they wouldn't perform a BB install for anybody unless they were getting speeds over 25mbps with their service..

Perhaps its worth arguing your case. As you say, with 2mbps its really pretty pointless having their service. Did they not tell you the speed checks that they got on install day, at your property?

I can't believe they would have gone ahead and given you a service with speeds that poor. Hardly be worth the effort like.. :confused:

Oh no, great speeds on install. Iirc, it was in the region of 55-60. The drop came a few weeks after cool off. And has been getting progressively worse since.

Their tech support has been pretty unhelpful (did you turn the router off and on?), and that's when I have a few hours to spare to actually get through to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ohh right.. Jeez, I had forgotten about that .. heh..

Actually I now notice that the pricks charged me a "Failed payment charge" of €10 there two months ago..
    Thats a disgrace..
    My credit card got fraudulent charges, so AIB replaced it.
    I didn't tell Imagine. (cos who thinks of these things?)

Then, a week later, Imagine rang me cos the payment failed to go through. I gave them a different card number.. all was fine... but nobody said anything about a failed payment charge.

What a bunch of crooks.

If you pay by credit card, that's definatly a rip off. Costs them and you nothing. Apart from that phone call of course.

With direct debit, that would be an entire different story (failed payment incur cost to processor and debitor)

/M

It's disgraceful there is no consumer protection in situations like this because if you cancel your direct debit for instance they could get debt collectors after you and debt collectors will never ever leave you alone and will take you to court, it's disgraceful.

There should be an opt out in situations like this but the real issue is the "up to" in advertisement so if you receive 0.1 mbs then in reality there is not a lot anyone can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

worst i've seen in a good while
    9485972343.png

• Advertisement

Scruff wrote: »
    worst i've seen in a good while
    9485972343.png

Look at you in the lofty twos!

Spare a thought for us plebs down in kbps land...

So sick of their **** now.

Advertisement