Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland v England - match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

vienne86 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how Ireland cope with them.
    At least we have some ball carriers and should be able to get some momentum. Scotland couldn't break the England defence because they were getting their ball slowed down and were always facing a set defence. The only time they made headway was when they made a half break and could recycle quickly.

England's defence won that for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So this is England under their new coach. Looks a bit like the old England to me.

In fairness he's had them for what, two weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Really pathetic stuff from England. Farrell was an absolute disgrace giving that penalty away with around 10 mins left. They'll be scratching their heads at once again at the end of the tournament wondering about points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

England the deserved winners really. Not much in it but England just more clinical in attack.

Have the ball carrier of vinipolo in back row and he was immense really.

Same as per usual from Scotland though. Lots of effort but going knowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Same as always from Scotland. The annual 'dark horse' prove to be unfortunately inept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ElusiveHaggis

Can I just sum it up....

*sigh* again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Same as always from Scotland. The annual 'dark horse' prove to be unfortunately inept.

A bit like Ireland in that respect. Except every 4 years at the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

think it shows the huge gulf between the pro12 and international rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

aimee1 wrote: »
    think it shows the huge gulf between the pro12 and international rugby.

I don't think people were basing anything off the pro 12. They were by far the closest of any northern hemisphere team to making the semis in the world cup, and that was against Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Bollocks, but no surprise...Scotland were always on the defense.

Just out of interest, I was in a pub watching the match and EVERYONE was shouting for Scotland - or more so, against England.
    Why?
    (Personally I think England are the better team and easily deserved to win the match)

• Advertisement

LorMal wrote: »
    Just out of interest, I was in a pub watching the match and EVERYONE was shouting for Scotland - or more so, against England.
    Why?
    (Personally I think England are the better team and easily deserved to win the match)
    Have you just arrived in Ireland?

Why?

Eh subtract 100 from the current year and then have a rough guess :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Why?

• Administrators Posts: 53,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Scotland - rubbish.

England - a bit less rubbish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

awec wrote: »
    Scotland - rubbish.

England - a bit less rubbish.

Italy - Improved

France - Haven't (but still beat Italy)

Very curious now to see what tomorrow brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

You know that feeling when you've ordered something really cool, and you hear the knock on the door and you get down to find it's the postie but instead of your order, it's actually a parcel full of socks from your aunt? Yeah, you need socks, but you're still disappointed that you've got wait for what you actually wanted...

England rubbish?

Wasn't a vintage performance but I saw plenty to have me worried.

No one is going to score easy tries against an England defense as tight as that and with a bit of quick ball they were lethal out wide.

Their back 3 all offer a lot of attacking threat in my opinion and they have a bit more organisation around their sheer power game up front.

• Administrators Posts: 53,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

England rubbish?

Wasn't a vintage performance but I saw plenty to have me worried.

No one is going to score easy tries against an England defense as tight as that and with a bit of quick ball they were lethal out wide.

Their back 3 all offer a lot of attacking threat in my opinion and they have a bit more organisation around their sheer power game up front.

Well it's all relative. They might do well against the other 6 nations teams (though it remains to be seen) but that doesn't mean they are particularly good.

awec wrote: »
    Well it's all relative. They might do well against the other 6 nations teams (though it remains to be seen) but that doesn't mean they are particularly good.

How long does this northern hemisphere inferiority complex need to last before people can just start enjoying the six nations again.

First game of the season under a new coach and they looked very comfortable against Scotland. I'd have been delighted if that was Ireland today.

I actually think the group of players England have are quite good but for one reason or another have failed to click and deliver.

What I think is interesting after today is that Jones basically kept them playing very similarly to how Lancaster had them playing. Maybe a bit smarter and more organised around the breakdown in the sense that they altered throughout periods of the game the numbers and intensity that they put down after the ball.

Other than that though it seems to make sense that with only a few weeks with the team, the coach is looking to do the same thing with the right selections. I'd say this time next year England will start to shape up differently, but I wouldn't be surprised if their very much in the mix for the title this year.

Not that it matters of course, sure were all ****e up this part of the world!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Scotland could have had a couple today if they hadn't screwed them up all on their own.

I don't think England will be a walk in the park for anyone but they don't look any better than they did last season.

• Advertisement

Scotland could have had a couple today if they hadn't screwed them up all on their own.

I don't think England will be a walk in the park for anyone but they don't look any better than they did last season.

their set piece today was better, but that wouldnt be difficult. Hartley does those basics quite well. If they stop giving away the dumb penalties like they did today they will be close to the title on day 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Why?

The old enemy. It'll never change. Never.

The old enemy. It'll never change. Never.

Load of inferiority complex bollocks. Time to grow the **** up.

Load of inferiority complex bollocks. Time to grow the **** up.
    You asked the question. If you already knew the answer, why didn't you take it up with your fellow patrons in the pub?

Not with the posters here who just explained it for you.

You asked the question. If you already knew the answer, why didn't you take it up with your fellow patrons in the pub?

Not with the posters here who just explained it for you.

Oh please. 800 years of oppression? I thought maybe I had missed something during the week. But no, it's the just the same old bigotry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ah come on, its just a bit of sporting rivalry mixed with a bit of support the underdog, stop looking for outrage where none exists

Oh please. 800 years of oppression? I thought maybe I had missed something during the week. But no, it's the just the same old bigotry

its a sporting rivalry. England are the big neighbour with the big league and money etc so its a natural that scotland/wales/ireland would all like to see them lose. Bigotry is when some clown stands outside croker wearing a celtic jersey holding a no to foreign games banner while 82000 inside stand and respect the english anthem being played given the history of the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Won't someone please think of the English? Get over yourself.

My experience is the English rugby supporters love the Irish and the trip to Dublin is by far their favourite 6nations away destination. Their 'auld enemy' is the French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

My experience is the English rugby supporters love the Irish and the trip to Dublin is by far their favourite 6nations away destination. Their 'auld enemy' is the French.

You're confusing sporting rivalry for actual dislike (though undoubtedly there is some of that)

Advertisement