Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Society Outing - Portmarnock Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Think Pete won with 33pts in Dundrum a few years ago.
    Of course the wind will be a huge factor, but it will also help on some holes. With a lot of us playing last year and really enjoying it. I think we'll see at least one of us playing to our handicap.

And if you play to your handicap or better there in that - you deserve a win

Being honest - I think J will win it with 34.

I don't even know about 20 people going , but no harm speculating for the laugh.

Ben1977 wrote: »
    It might actually be a good chance for a low HC to win!!!

:)

Jaysus - Ben - that interclub.

Your a black belt at Turing the screw.

But agree, A low handicapper like Roadrunner or J should pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

😂😂ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Won't be me, cracking open another bottle of wine and have a two hour drive up in the morning.

J

Won't be me, cracking open another bottle of wine and have a two hour drive up in the morning.

J

J - you would get 32 + there , with Dunlop balls , a squeaky trolley, a lost ball in fairway and a failure to declare a provisional ;)

Yes , you will get your infamous 3 under for last 6 to pull it off.

• Advertisement

What's the weather up there like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

What's the weather up there like?

Cold, dry and very windy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Best of luck today and all season J, gutted I can't be there.

My low ball flight would suit the proposed wind!!

Also best of luck to all members, New and old, have a great day.

See ye soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bobster453

Hi all
    To save time
    Go to clubhouse not hotel and they have payment details set up under J's name not his boards handle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Best of luck today and all season J, gutted I can't be there.

My low ball flight would suit the proposed wind!!

Also best of luck to all members, New and old, have a great day.

See ye soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hope everyone is having a great day. Raging I can't be there but still dying with this chest infection. Hopefully the next event!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

So how did it go? Did Fix finally bring home the bacon?

I would have loved to play but after our spring league being cancelled for the last 2 weeks I had to play it today. Hope to be back for the next event. Best of luck to captain J for the year.

ballyk wrote: »
    So how did it go? Did Fix finally bring home the bacon?

I would have loved to play but after our spring league being cancelled for the last 2 weeks I had to play it today. Hope to be back for the next event. Best of luck to captain J for the year.

I hate Boards Golf Society :P
    I hate short putts :(
    I hate countback :mad:

:D

Good golf lads - was sure I had that one in bag - got too cagey on last 6.

Class day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A welcome return to the golf society today.

Weather actually turned out to be pretty good, a light rain on & off throughout & the wind picked up towards the end, but generally pretty benign conditions.

Greens were way up in terms of pace compared to my own club, and it showed in my putting performance.

Easily left 5/6 shots out there. 5 3-putts, all of them from easy 2 putt range which was unfortunate.

Played mostly good stuff tee to green. Had 16 points coming off 7. On 8, hit way through the green with a PW in hand. Scratched the hole & lost it for about 4 holes. Came back well to finish with 34 points off 12.

Great company from Tiger & Kieran, the lads took a long time to get going. Tiger dominated the back 9 though to shoot 21 coming in.

Kieran is a work in progress. The lessons really look like they are making a difference, swing looking great compared to last time I saw it. Can see a solid drop in handicap this year.

Apologies for my temper at times today, got a bit sweary over the middle run of holes.

Won't make bunclody, but will catch yis again soon enough

Winner Tyson Fury 38 points (last 9)
    Second Doublecross 38 points (last 6)
    Third Fixdepitchmark 38 points

Long Drive Ben1977
    Nearest the pin Golfgraffix

Thanks for all who played, turned out to be a grand day in the end.

Big kudos to Fix for cutting himself by one shot prior to going out.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

another great boards outing and nice to see a few new faces along with some old (and some changed :) ) ones.

Many thanks to Golfgraffix for the organisation, the company , the bit of craic today. Best of luck for the year. You got off to a great start.

29 points for mise, but was very happy with that considering I hadnt hit a ball in 3 months. I actually hit her pretty well today but let myself down around the greens. Most pleasing was the driver, i hit that very well today, most notably on the dogleg right towards the end, 15th hole to leave only a flick of a wedge into the green to set up a nice run in of par, par, par and I dont know how the ball didnt drop for my par on the 18th!

Thanks also to Keano for the game and Tyson fury, super striker of the ball and it gooes a mile....... Well done, enjoy the cut :D

Another class day - was so well organised by J and he had everything under control from the off - spreadsheets and pieces of paper, as Bertie said, back to your pencil and paper.

Was nice to get out on a course I love - for a reduced rate - so thanks to J and all for putting a links on the circuit again.

Had a great day with the two lads, gents and very relaxed - can't see Benny being off that handicap for long and you could see Tony was a low handicap player in the past. Benny could see the beauty of the coastal Northside. :)

I've never had a brilliant round around there - I find it hard, got a hang of it last time - find the last 4 very hard there. Particularly if you have a score going.

Didn't play great on front - was pulling driver and irons, also leaving putts short uphill with the water on greens - I never got the pace of the greens all day and had 3 very very bad 3 putts. With 2 missed from 3 feet or less , just daft. The funny thing, I was scoring well and turned with 20. ( I was a bit lucky to be honest).

Overall - loved the day , played good golf if not my best. 76 a nice one to have in the bag there.

Good laugh after - nice to know people a little more - amazing drive Ben , great competition for the high handicappers :D

Well done the 2 lads - I'm useless at the back 9. 38 a great score out there in that wind for lads who don't play that much links.

Catch all in April - I'm away to get the Zika Virus for most of March.

Another chance gone, destiny is against me. I'm resigned to enjoy.
    I've given up on a win - just the laugh this year ;).

See you at a few other outings, to dig up parklands and 1/2 of the midlands.

I've never had a brand new Pack of prov1s - might sell them to poppy. I'm not good enough for 4 euro + golf balls. Bring back the Dunlops I say.

Had 24 hours of my best ever golf score wise, but it was fun too - a Chianti is calling.

Thanks all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Break80

Thanks Lads for a great day. I had a good laugh with Robert and Alan. I thought we had a winner in Alan with a steady 36 points but some great 38,s came in. I could,nt get over how dry the course was. I almost picked up my ball a few times out of habit of playing in muck in my own course at the moment. Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully a better performance at the next outing.

Have to say it turned out to be a very good day, the weather that was threatening never arrived and for the most part we stayed dry.

I was a little caught out in how much organising was needed, next event will run a little smoother. Thanks to Fix for helping out with the cards.

Really enjoyed my game with Keano, Seve and Tyson, seems the tradition of the winner coming from the Captain's group is alive and well. Tyson played very solid and his 38 was well deserved. I have no idea how I got 29 points, I pretty much knocked down every drive until the 18th but was happy with the NP on 11 and a nice tap in birdie on 2.

Here are the full results Portmarnock Links Results

See you all in Bunclody.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

So where do I start with yesterdays golf. Packing the car in heavy rain doesn't do anything for ones spirits. Fortunately it wasn't long before that changed after my playing partners joined me and the banter started. Unfortunately for these 2 they have to put up with my crap golf most weekends. Really enjoyed the golf thank's to Brendan141 and Bombedbiscuit.

When we arrived I spotted the new chipping green. Its my weakest area and was looking forward to trying a new technique. hit a couple of chips which checked on the second bounce and release out to the pins. Bombedbiscuit and Brendan141 looked up as surprised as I was. I knew it was going to be a day for the short game with the wind and the rain. So we head to the first tee. Raining at this stage, we look down the first to find 10 lads on the first??? 6 on the green and a 4 ball behind. This is going to be a long day!!!
    On the first I was left with an approach of 188yds, I came up short behind the 2 bunkers on the RHS. Right here goes, chip was good, nice positive hit which released up to pin high 3 feet right. Happy days, or was it. 4 ball is let through on the 2nd, we move on slowly and finish out and walk to the 3rd tee. On the red tees there is six lads, 3 tee off and walk on, they are half way to the green when the other 3 tee off over their head. We are standing there in amazement. They finish out the 3rd as a six ball with lads chipping and putting and bunker shots all at the same time. Didn't take long before I reached for the phone.
    So we tee off the 3rd an I'm short right, again, so out with the SW, on the second bounce it checks and releases and finishes on the left lip, so no money. Fast forward to the 5th and I'm short right again with bunkers in front of me. Not liking it this time, a million thoughts going through the head and queue the thin through the green. Next chip a fat to a foot in front of me, at least this time I'm close enough to putt. From this point on my round is over, head fried.
    At this stage all you can do is laugh and enjoy the rest of the round, which I always do. Its only a game at the end of it. And with good banter we ploughed on. The skys brightened a bit and the rain stopped but the laughter never stopped. The 6 ball can be seen walking back and forward all day long, how I of them is not in hospital, I will never know.

Golfgraffix - Congrats on your first outing as Captain. You must be very proud of that course. It was in brilliant condition and worth every penny. The thoughts of placing next week is killing me. The work that was done last year has really improved the course. I would really love a crack at the back green on 13, it would make it into a proper par 5. Is it a new green or just maintenance going on, on it? It would really finish off the course.

Some great scores lads, very impressed. Some great low scores as well. I'm delighted for Fixde, 2 great scores over the weekend. For all your practise it is paying off. Fixde you look a changed man, more relaxed about your golf. You'll get your win I truly believe that. It will happen when your not expecting it. Great to see the new and old faces. Roll on Bunclody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Great shooting lads, Good man Fix, super stuff, Bunclody is a cracker, 14,15,16,17,18 are my favourite parkland holes in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

great day - bad weather held off - well played all - roll on the next one.....

great day - bad weather held off - well played all - roll on the next one.....

You peaked to late, did I see you with a win today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Another great event for the Boards Society. Nice to start the year off on a links course and what a course it is, great condition for the time of year. Thanks to Golfgraffix for sorting it out.

Due to my slightly late arrival got to play with the captain, Seve and Keano. Enjoyed the banter lads. GG's course knowledge was invaluable.

My own game was in decent shape surprisingly especially on the greens were I pretty much nailed everything inside 6 feet. Sank a long putt from off the green on the front 9 and only had one 3 putt all day. If only I could play links golf all year round it seems to bring out my A game.

Hopefully a nice big cut to start off the year.

Will miss bunclody unfortunately but hopefully back for the heritage.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Oh almost forgot to say delighted to be the first recipient of the world famous Jack's ball :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

You peaked to late, did I see you with a win today ?

yeah, a sneaky one - brutal conditions yesterday morning - very happy to beak 80, especially after scratching the first - I thought I might get beaten by a few later starters as conditions improved gradually through the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Another great start to the Boards GS year. The weather was much better than we all thought it would've been which was great. Played with Doublecross who was very unlucky not to take the victory and Dublin Spur who is a member there so his course knowledge came in very handy . Didn't play too well myself. The card looked a bit better than it should have after I holed a few nice long putts that if they hadn't of dropped, would have been 10 feet+ past. Thanks to GG and the rest of the committee for all the hard work put in. Looking forward to Bunclody. Haven't played it yet but have heard great things. See you all next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Thanks to GG and the crew. Enjoyed the round. Playing partners were athlone99 (I've no idea how he hit the ball that hard playing left-hand-over-right) and new guy Hibrasil. Hibrasil's scorecard won't show it this time, but he plays a steady game and was a joy to play even when a few of the holes didn't go his way. We found the fairway bunkers extremely punishing (though in good condition I should add!). Putts weren't dropping for any of us on the day and we all had many bad short misses. I struggled with the speed of the greens, I putt off the back of the green on two separate occasions. On the plus side, my driving felt improved, and I mostly struck the ball well. I finished with 31pts but with the number of putts that caught the lip and stayed out I did well to finish with 31. Couple of duffed chips again too.

Weather came good for us in the end which was a nice surprise. Things looked very grim for us all at the start with the guys ahead of our society. Thankfully after the first few holes the pace of play greatly improved. Thanks to the group ahead for calling it in and getting the ranger out on the 6 ball immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I struggled with the speed of the greens, I putt off the back of the green on two separate occasions.

So I'm guessing you found them fast? I actually was the opposite, and I was leaving them short all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Big thanks to GG and the rest of the committee for organizing a great days golf. After the forecasts of torrential rain it was a welcome surprise for the day to be so good weather wise.

Thanks also to playing partners Macker1 and ThecHamp26 for an enjoyable round - thought cHamp was heading for a great score but just couldn't keep it going. I thought the conditions were tough enough with a blustery wind and clumpy rough if you got in the wrong spot.

Drove the ball really well but for some reason I was hitting almost every iron/wedge fat - I'm blaming it on being up most of the night with a sick babby. Found the greens very difficult to read and nothing went my way all day illustrated best by my dead-weight birdie putt on 18 horse shoeing out after a full 180 :mad:

Hoping to get the pass for Bunclody as it looks like a great track and a lot of positive comments on here already.

Advertisement