Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Society Outing - Portmarnock Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

J,

Did you place up a full course guide last year - any changes / Tips ?

New bunker on 8, that's I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Myself, Bombedbiscuit and Brendan141 will be travelling together. If we could get out on early tee times close together it would be great.

Looking forward to my first full round next Saturday. I remember the course condition last year, even with loads of maintenance work it was is top shape. I'll look forward to not searching for balls that land in the middle of fairways 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Can I get an early round please?
    Cheers. Roadrunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Only travelling from Dublin, so happy to take an earlier time if it gives those with a longer commute a bit more time to get there

Was away for most of last week, got back yesterday. I will sort the tee sheet out today.

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

ThecHamp26 and myself will be traveling together so a tee time close or together would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Golfgraffix's advice from last years outing. Thought Id put it here so everyone could have another read.

Would you change anything from last year John with the couple of changes that have gone on.

Hole 1, index 10 but should be 4 lower. Looks easy enough but it's all about the second shot. What ever you hit 200yds is the tee shot, left of the big tree is good, any longer and a good bounce can get you into trouble 3 bunkers and water. Two bunkers protect the frontside of the green don't be short.

Hole 2, index 14. Here you can open your shoulders and hit the big stick, some gorse left is the only real trouble, all the bunkers can be carried. Tricky green with two front side bunkers, big slope run offs back and right, miss the green and a up and down is tough.

Hole 3, index 12. Par 3 should be playing about 165, 8 green side bunkers with water right and long. It's a big green though.

Hole 4, index 6 par 5. Needs a good tee shot, gorse in play on the left and the water right is OB. A good line is inside the left bunker. This is a 3 shoter, long iron layup and maybe a 7/8 iron approach, feature of the course are pot bunkers protecting the front of the greens. No harm in being long a hill at the back will catch most balls. Fast green slopes from the back.

Hole 5 index 2, will change to 1 soon. Long par 4, anything right can easily catch the water, left the gorse. Again all the trouble is short side of the green.

Hole 6, par 5 index 18. The only real eagle chance on the course. Can be hit in two, best line is left side of the fairway, if not going for it in two make sure to layup down the left side, this will take the bunkers out of play. Green has some wicked breaks.

Hole 7, index 4. Another long par 4. Drives down the right side will catch the slope and move further down the fairway. There is water about 23 yards short of the green give yourself enough stick to carry, big green with a run off at the back. Big slope back to front.

Hole 8, index 8. Great fun hole, 80 degree dogleg left. It's about 200 to the turn. Watch out for the pot bunker right on the elbow. A good tee shot will leave a wedge into the toughest green on the course. If the pin is back you must be left to get to it, if it's short do not be long it's a wicked putt and I have seen many roll off the front leaving a 20 yard chip back.

Hole 9, index 16 I think. The only hole with no bunkers. Par 3 that should be about 130 yards, do not be long, short or right !!!! Middle of the green and 2 putt, this little hole can be a card wrecker.

Hole 10, index 7. My nemesis, it's a short par 4 all about hitting the green in two, driver can work but leaves a tough short pitch, rescue or long iron leaves you further back but more room for error on the approach. The green is elevated on all sides with a massive pot bunker short right. Par is a great score here.

Hole 11, index 15 I think. Short par 3 long or right will leave you a tough up and down. Massive bunker right of the green.

Hole 12, index 1. Off the green tees it should be handy enough. No real trouble off the tee this time of year. Big green well protected with bunkers.

Hole 13, index 13. Long and unfair par 5. Members tend to go down 12 or you can aim right. Trick off the tee is to avoid the big bunker right in the middle of the landing area. Layup as long as you dare, watch out for the gorse. If you can make the old green in two great. 3rd will be blind into a very bad surfaced green. When teeing off on 12 have a look at the 13th green as it is blind when you are playing it.

Hole 14, index 17. Depending on the wind and tee location you can drive this green but I am not sure the risk is worth it. Off the tee be left, it's the best approach side. I expect many birdies here.

Hole 15, index 9. My favourite hole on the course. You don't need to be super long off the tee, a good hit down the left will release down the fairway. This is a mirror of hole 8, so a dogleg right. Avoid the spectacle bunkers on the drive and it's plain sailing from there, it's a pretty generous green.

Hole 16, index 5. Looks like we will be into the wind so it's gonna be tough and long. forget about trying to carry the two massive bunkers, it's left all day long. A mid iron into a really well protected green. Two bunkers short, one left and a massive run off at the back. Take your time reading the green, it's the 3rd toughest after 8 and 6.

Hole 17, index 11. Tough par 3 with a bunker you could get lost in. Will play around 170 and you need to be precise, massive bunker short right, big run off on the front and the back, heavy rough right.

Hole 18, index 3. Great finishing hole with big dunes all the way down the right. A big miss right is on the beach and OB. The racing line is over the bunker right, get that and the ball will roll for ages. If not so brave the safe line is just inside the left bunker but there is no release for the ball there. A fair big green with all the trouble in plain sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

fwiw, this guide did not help me at all last year ;)
    3putt wrote: »
    Golfgraffix's advice from last years outing. Thought Id put it here so everyone could have another read.

Would you change anything from last year John with the couple of changes that have gone on.

Hole 1, index 10 but should be 4 lower. Looks easy enough but it's all about the second shot. What ever you hit 200yds is the tee shot, left of the big tree is good, any longer and a good bounce can get you into trouble 3 bunkers and water. Two bunkers protect the frontside of the green don't be short.

Hole 2, index 14. Here you can open your shoulders and hit the big stick, some gorse left is the only real trouble, all the bunkers can be carried. Tricky green with two front side bunkers, big slope run offs back and right, miss the green and a up and down is tough.

Hole 3, index 12. Par 3 should be playing about 165, 8 green side bunkers with water right and long. It's a big green though.

Hole 4, index 6 par 5. Needs a good tee shot, gorse in play on the left and the water right is OB. A good line is inside the left bunker. This is a 3 shoter, long iron layup and maybe a 7/8 iron approach, feature of the course are pot bunkers protecting the front of the greens. No harm in being long a hill at the back will catch most balls. Fast green slopes from the back.

Hole 5 index 2, will change to 1 soon. Long par 4, anything right can easily catch the water, left the gorse. Again all the trouble is short side of the green.

Hole 6, par 5 index 18. The only real eagle chance on the course. Can be hit in two, best line is left side of the fairway, if not going for it in two make sure to layup down the left side, this will take the bunkers out of play. Green has some wicked breaks.

Hole 7, index 4. Another long par 4. Drives down the right side will catch the slope and move further down the fairway. There is water about 23 yards short of the green give yourself enough stick to carry, big green with a run off at the back. Big slope back to front.

Hole 8, index 8. Great fun hole, 80 degree dogleg left. It's about 200 to the turn. Watch out for the pot bunker right on the elbow. A good tee shot will leave a wedge into the toughest green on the course. If the pin is back you must be left to get to it, if it's short do not be long it's a wicked putt and I have seen many roll off the front leaving a 20 yard chip back.

Hole 9, index 16 I think. The only hole with no bunkers. Par 3 that should be about 130 yards, do not be long, short or right !!!! Middle of the green and 2 putt, this little hole can be a card wrecker.

Hole 10, index 7. My nemesis, it's a short par 4 all about hitting the green in two, driver can work but leaves a tough short pitch, rescue or long iron leaves you further back but more room for error on the approach. The green is elevated on all sides with a massive pot bunker short right. Par is a great score here.

Hole 11, index 15 I think. Short par 3 long or right will leave you a tough up and down. Massive bunker right of the green.

Hole 12, index 1. Off the green tees it should be handy enough. No real trouble off the tee this time of year. Big green well protected with bunkers.

Hole 13, index 13. Long and unfair par 5. Members tend to go down 12 or you can aim right. Trick off the tee is to avoid the big bunker right in the middle of the landing area. Layup as long as you dare, watch out for the gorse. If you can make the old green in two great. 3rd will be blind into a very bad surfaced green. When teeing off on 12 have a look at the 13th green as it is blind when you are playing it.

Hole 14, index 17. Depending on the wind and tee location you can drive this green but I am not sure the risk is worth it. Off the tee be left, it's the best approach side. I expect many birdies here.

Hole 15, index 9. My favourite hole on the course. You don't need to be super long off the tee, a good hit down the left will release down the fairway. This is a mirror of hole 8, so a dogleg right. Avoid the spectacle bunkers on the drive and it's plain sailing from there, it's a pretty generous green.

Hole 16, index 5. Looks like we will be into the wind so it's gonna be tough and long. forget about trying to carry the two massive bunkers, it's left all day long. A mid iron into a really well protected green. Two bunkers short, one left and a massive run off at the back. Take your time reading the green, it's the 3rd toughest after 8 and 6.

Hole 17, index 11. Tough par 3 with a bunker you could get lost in. Will play around 170 and you need to be precise, massive bunker short right, big run off on the front and the back, heavy rough right.

Hole 18, index 3. Great finishing hole with big dunes all the way down the right. A big miss right is on the beach and OB. The racing line is over the bunker right, get that and the ball will roll for ages. If not so brave the safe line is just inside the left bunker but there is no release for the ball there. A fair big green with all the trouble in plain sight.

You can view it in link the below. We have 27 members accepted and 2 guests (of Rikand and Shauna)

If you need a time moved, or are missing please let me know

Time Sheet

See you all there on Saturday. Please dont forget that as we missed the 1st event at Rathcore we need to collect this years subs.

J

Just edited the time sheet, the gaps are 9 minutes, i had them in at 5, so please double check your time slot.

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭athlone99

Hi J,

I had accepted on teamer when I got the text but im not on the timesheet?

cheers,
    dave

athlone99 wrote: »
    Hi J,

I had accepted on teamer when I got the text but im not on the timesheet?

cheers,
    dave

Sorry about that, you are in at the 12:12 time. Plus a few little move arounds.

Nearest the pin will be on the 11th and the long drive will be on the 7th.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Whats the weather like for Saturday lads?

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Whats the weather like for Saturday lads?

These guys have a weather station on the course so it is usualy quite active.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/customer/headland/index?id=25291

J

playing the whites or the greens? (my shot tracker wants to know)

just noticed this was answered previously, whites (winter whites)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

You can view it in link the below. We have 27 members accepted and 2 guests (of Rikand and Shauna)

If you need a time moved, or are missing please let me know

Time Sheet

See you all there on Saturday. Please dont forget that as we missed the 1st event at Rathcore we need to collect this years subs.

J

Just curious but from looking at the link is it the case that most events this year will be €45 ??

Macker1 wrote: »
    Just curious but from looking at the link is it the case that most events this year will be €45 ??

With the last event being cancelled the committee have not a chance to get together yet this year, once we do this weekend then I can confirm the prices.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

Any one good with directions as Im a south sider I dont venture across the liffely much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

benny79 wrote: »
    Any one good with directions as Im a south sider I dont venture across the liffely much :D

Are you using M50 ?

If so go to end of M50
    Then keep going after on r139
    you are not far off signs for malahide / portmarnock there and you hit a major crossroads on the malahide road.

I'd say gps it from there you are going to towards malahide for a hort duration - but you do not go to malahide - it is the first sign for Portmarnock you see at a pub called campions pub / a right here at traffic lights and keep towards any signs to Portmarnock (r123)

The back roads around Portmarnock are dangerous (r123).

At end of r123 turn left and follow coast into portmarnock - it is past the end of village.

• Advertisement

cheers fix,

Think the last time I went through town up the quays if I remember correctly. It didnt take that long ill google it later

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cheers fix,

Think the last time I went through town up the quays if I remember correctly. It didnt take that long ill google it later

then get yourself to Butt bridge, go around the back of the Custom House and head out by Connolly Station as far as Fairview. Then you are looking for the Malahide road, head out that way till you go past the huge Tesco and follow Fixes directions from there

Guys there are roadworks on the city side of Portmarnock village, mid week it's been a delay of 10 minutes (kids have been late for school all week) not sure what it will be like on Saturday.

There is also some work being done on the hotel so parking will be tight.

How many are planning on staying for food ?

J

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Too far off to think about it.

But rain is heavy at this point- so I am thinking about the rain when I shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hey guys. Myself and my guest(my dad) have to withdraw. Flu has struck our house

I'll cancel on team er shortly

Sorry for short notice

Rikand wrote: »
    Hey guys. Myself and my guest(my dad) have to withdraw. Flu has struck our house

I'll cancel on team er shortly

Sorry for short notice

Thanks for letting me know.

I have had to redo the time sheet, so please have a look at it again.

http://www.mygolfsociety.ie/index.php?page=golf_society.timesheets.edit&fixture=7015

j

I have had to redo the time sheet, so please have a look at it again.

Timesheet URL

J,

I can bring a guest if its not 2 late! He played in a few outings already as a guest. be better than a 4 ball, let us know and ill pm his details to you. No hassle if not. I dont mind waiting on him if he's last out etc.

J,

I can bring a guest if its not 2 late! He played in a few outings already as a guest. be better than a 4 ball, let us know and ill pm his details to you. No hassle if not. I dont mind waiting on him if he's last out etc.

Guests are welcome

• Advertisement

Ill Pm you his details

Advertisement