Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hailo - have a lot of drivers left?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Mr.Frame wrote:
    Taking 12% from the credit card is bad enough, but taking it from cash jobs as well is a bit excessive

The charge 12% for finding the customer. When you see fleets of taxi drivers driving in endless circles burning diesel, suddenly that 12% doesn't seem so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I think is a flaw that you can't down vote a diver who doesn't turn up...

You complain in the feedback and they get suspended from the service.

For example if a prebook fails to turn up, they will be suspended from all prebook jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hailo is in big trouble, they have an urgent need for additional investment, it was recently in the news that they have only enough cash to keep running for another 3 month.

As to Lynk coming out of nowhere, not really true, it's simply a re-branding of Mr Ebbs merry band of shell corporations with an App.

Since uber took away the 10% discount on fares and charges the official taxi rates for taxi's it looks like more drivers are on it (at least from what I can see as availability around me).

And with local companies now also having their apps (like Cab 2000 etc.) there is even more choice.
    That's a bit of a joke - it's 20% here in Canada if I am correct first of all, it was never gotten rid of here either, and there was a huge court battle that Uber won regarding how their business operates. Taxi drivers staged a large protest, attempting to block off busy roads etc during rush hour one morning and completely lost any remaining public support they had over it.

Meanwhile, in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's a bit of a joke - it's 20% here in Canada if I am correct first of all, it was never gotten rid of here either, and there was a huge court battle that Uber won regarding how their business operates. Taxi drivers staged a large protest, attempting to block off busy roads etc during rush hour one morning and completely lost any remaining public support they had over it.

Meanwhile, in Ireland...

I think we are not talking the same thing here because if I recall correctly uber taxi charges the full meter rate in Canada.

Uber Taxi charges the meter fare in Dublin now, they used to give a 10% discount to the rider to attract customers, that is what is gone now.

Uber still charges the driver 20% of the fare as commission.

I think we are not talking the same thing here because if I recall correctly uber taxi charges the full meter rate in Canada.

Uber Taxi charges the meter fare in Dublin now, they used to give a 10% discount to the rider to attract customers, that is what is gone now.

Uber still charges the driver 20% of the fare as commission.

OH sorry, yeah I think Uber taxi does the same. I needed a double espresso thrown into my coffee earlier and was still tipping away at it while I posted that. It's one of those mornings. :o

• Advertisement

OH sorry, yeah I think Uber taxi does the same. I needed a double espresso thrown into my coffee earlier and was still tipping away at it while I posted that. It's one of those mornings. :o

We all had that morning, and if I'm not mistaken in Canada they even add 20% automatic gratitude to the fare for the taxi driver.

We all had that morning, and if I'm not mistaken in Canada they even add 20% automatic gratitude to the fare for the taxi driver.
    Wow, wasn't aware of that - do you mean by Uber taxis or just standard taxis? I usually just grab the street car/subway since public transport is pretty good here (and it's been an absurdly mild winter, so no "I can't feel mah fingers or mah legs, paw" panic hail downs in -30 degree weather either!)

Wow, wasn't aware of that - do you mean by Uber taxis or just standard taxis? I usually just grab the street car/subway since public transport is pretty good here (and it's been an absurdly mild winter, so no "I can't feel mah fingers or mah legs, paw" panic hail downs in -30 degree weather either!)

Just Uber Taxi's...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

What's the "safe rides fee" of $1.50 for in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

No cars available again this evening. Seems to be getting harder to get a hailo/uber on weekends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

No cars available again this evening. Seems to be getting harder to get a hailo/uber on weekends

If you walk out of your house and stand at the side of the road you will get any amount of taxis for hire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mr.Frame wrote:
    If you walk out of your house and stand at the side of the road you will get any amount of taxis for hire

Yeah, if you live on/near a main road.

I think it's fair to say that the consensus is that user experience of Hailo has deteriorated in recent months, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Mr.Frame wrote: »

If you live near a busy road, if it's not raining and if you already have cash to pay for it. Do you think there's a reason why Hailo and the others are popular?

Perhaps that's more to do with why would a driver give 12% of the fare, not charge the pick up fee and give up to 5 mins free waiting time, should Hailo users be prepared to at least pay the €2 pick up charge at peak times, after all Uber were surge pricing by double or even treble until the NTA told them they were breaking Irish regulations by doing so.

roverrules wrote: »
    Perhaps that's more to do with why would a driver give 12% of the fare, not charge the pick up fee and give up to 5 mins free waiting time, should Hailo users be prepared to at least pay the €2 pick up charge at peak times, after all Uber were surge pricing by double or even treble until the NTA told them they were breaking Irish regulations by doing so.

Perhaps it is yeah. That's probably why more competition is needed with more licences and ride sharing (uber pop). If they don't want to do the work maybe someone else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Perhaps it is yeah. That's probably why more competition is needed with more licences and ride sharing (uber pop). If they don't want to do the work maybe someone else will.

MORE competition?
    Theres plenty of competition out there,a number of taxi apps and radio companies.
    Im not sure if you are aware but calling for more licences shows you have no idea of the taxi business.
    First off, Dublin has more taxis than New York, that alone shows how ridiculous things are.
    Secondly,Uberpop has been banned in many a country in Europe because of its working methods
    Thirdly saying "if they dont want to work" is rather insulting to the 1000s taxi drivers out there who put in long hours just to "try" and make a living.

MORE competition?
    Theres plenty of competition out there,a number of taxi apps and radio companies.
    Im not sure if you are aware but calling for more licences shows you have no idea of the taxi business.
    First off, Dublin has more taxis than New York, that alone shows how ridiculous things are.
    Secondly,Uberpop has been banned in many a country in Europe because of its working methods
    Thirdly saying "if they dont want to work" is rather insulting to the 1000s taxi drivers out there who put in long hours just to "try" and make a living.

Hold on you just said they don't want to do it. Fine. If someone does want to do it then let them. If you are right that we don't need more competition then of course Hailo / Uber will go out of business as the new drivers won't do it either. Or if I am right those who do not provide a service people want they will go out of business. You can't have it both ways.

If Dublin does have more than New York then they should be crawling all over each other to take my fare via Uber/Hailo etc. You agree that they'd rather go without a fare. Seems like a silly way to "try" make a living. Or they are getting business and don't need the app in which case we do need more cars.

Uberpop has worked in many places all over the world it may have been banned some places including Ireland because of special interest unions etc. I think that will change in Ireland very soon. I believe Uber are lobbying at the moment for this to change here. My understanding is that Uber put them through extensive checks etc and if not then I wouldn't be willing to use them and I am sure many others wouldn't either and you guessed it they would go out of business.

Taxi drivers need to provide a service that customers want or else they will be eaten up by those who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Hold on you just said they don't want to do it. Fine. If someone does want to do it then let them. If you are right that we don't need more competition then of course Hailo / Uber will go out of business as the new drivers won't do it either. Or if I am right those who do not provide a service people want they will go out of business. You can't have it both ways.

If Dublin does have more than New York then they should be crawling all over each other to take my fare via Uber/Hailo etc. You agree that they'd rather go without a fare. Seems like a silly way to "try" make a living. Or they are getting business and don't need the app in which case we do need more cars.

Uberpop has worked in many places all over the world it may have been banned some places including Ireland because of special interest unions etc. I think that will change in Ireland very soon. I believe Uber are lobbying at the moment for this to change here. My understanding is that Uber put them through extensive checks etc and if not then I wouldn't be willing to use them and I am sure many others wouldn't either and you guessed it they would go out of business.

Taxi drivers need to provide a service that customers want or else they will be eaten up by those who will.

Maybe you should have a look at the Uber Partner reviews on the android play store, that will give you an idea of how happy Uber pop drivers are world wide. All Uber or Hailo want at the end of the day is a cut from their drivers and you can't blame drivers when busy doing their own thing and not paying 12% commission and picking up from the street. With Uber though if they get pop in here they will have a big churn of drivers to exploit but eventually they will run out of people willing to work for minimum wage and maintain a car at the same time.. No holiday pay, sick days, or social welfare should you go under being self employed.

Cocoon wrote: »
    Maybe you should have a look at the Uber Partner reviews on the android play store, that will give you an idea of how happy Uber pop drivers are world wide. All Uber or Hailo want at the end of the day is a cut from their drivers and you can't blame drivers when busy doing their own thing and not paying 12% commission and picking up from the street. With Uber though if they get pop in here they will have a big churn of drivers to exploit but eventually they will run out of people willing to work for minimum wage and maintain a car at the same time.. No holiday pay, sick days, or social welfare should you go under being self employed.

I think it's more a case of, should people have the choice between being taken home by the pizza delivery driver in his unregulated, dubiously insured, Renault Clio with noisy exhaust or in a licensed, regulated, insured taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think it's more a case of, should people have the choice between being taken home by the pizza delivery driver in his unregulated, dubiously insured, Renault Clio with noisy exhaust or in a licensed, regulated, insured taxi,

...with a noisy exhaust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Yes, the situation in New York is utterly ridiculous. A taxi market that's such a closed shop that medallions (taxi plates) were worth over $1 million a few years ago. At least competition from Uber has driven prices down below $700k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think it's more a case of, should people have the choice between being taken home by the pizza delivery driver in his unregulated, dubiously insured, Renault Clio with noisy exhaust or in a licensed, regulated, insured taxi.

There is a market for the noisy Clio though. There is a lack of public transport in Dublin, forcing night time travellers into taxis. Because of the way taxis are regulated, the guy coming home from the theatre with his wife can't be charged more than the students returning to their bedsit after six pints. Put the theatre guy in a one year old E Class with a driver in a suit and charge him 50% more. Put the students in the pizza Clio and charge them 25% less. Both will be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭thesandeman

This is going to be discussed on Radio1 from 10 this morning if anyone is interested.

There is a market for the noisy Clio though. There is a lack of public transport in Dublin, forcing night time travellers into taxis. Because of the way taxis are regulated, the guy coming home from the theatre with his wife can't be charged more than the students returning to their bedsit after six pints. Put the theatre guy in a one year old E Class with a driver in a suit and charge him 50% more. Put the students in the pizza Clio and charge them 25% less. Both will be happier.

NTA won't allow tiered charging, otherwise taxis would be surge pricing like Uber were when they originally started in Ireland.

NTA won't allow tiered charging, otherwise taxis would be surge pricing like Uber were when they originally started in Ireland.

Well the idea is that they wouldn't be under a taxi licence for example Uber surge price in Ireland still with Limousine service.

Well the idea is that they wouldn't be under a taxi licence for example Uber surge price in Ireland still with Limousine service.

Oddly, it doesn't qualify as surge pricing because there is no price limit to which a limousines must stick to, only what is in the mind of the customer. As I understand it though, taxi drivers aren't that upset about limousines and hackneys yet, presumably, because they are still licensed vehicles. Unlike the idea of Uberpop using any vehicle/driver that Uber deem as fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Cocoon wrote: »
    I think they take 12% of their tips too if I heard correctly... :eek:

Which is why most drivers don't enter the tips, as Hailo get 12% of those too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't see why people think 12% is too much for a service that basically connects customers with Taxis. Sure in an ideal world, drivers prefer cash fares, but they'd also prefer not to pay for their diesel and car. But the reality their is a cost of doing business and this is just another one. Their are lots of people who don't want to stand on a street trying to hail down a taxi and a service like Hailo can connect drivers to these customers in quite an attractive manner.

To put this in context, those radio companies charge taxi drivers about €150 per week for radio work! That is €150 per week with zero guarantee of work and you even have to continue paying the €150 when on holiday, out sick, taxi out for repairs, etc.!

12% for guaranteed work really isn't so bad in comparison. Work which you can always choose not to pay.

Don't forget their is a not insignificant cost to Halio/Uber, etc. to pay software engineers to develop the apps, admins to maintain the servers, advertise the service, credit card fees, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't see why people think 12% is too much for a service that basically connects customers with Taxis. Sure in an ideal world, drivers prefer cash fares, but they'd also prefer not to pay for their diesel and car. But the reality their is a cost of doing business and this is just another one. Their are lots of people who don't want to stand on a street trying to hail down a taxi and a service like Hailo can connect drivers to these customers in quite an attractive manner.

To put this in context, those radio companies charge taxi drivers about €150 per week for radio work! That is €150 per week with zero guarantee of work and you even have to continue paying the €150 when on holiday, out sick, taxi out for repairs, etc.!

12% for guaranteed work really isn't so bad in comparison. Work which you can always choose not to pay.

Don't forget their is a not insignificant cost to Halio/Uber, etc. to pay software engineers to develop the apps, admins to maintain the servers, advertise the service, credit card fees, etc.

BTW I always give a 10% tip when using Hailo/Uber to help take the sting out of this charge.

Advertisement