Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hailo - have a lot of drivers left?

Options
  • 02-02-2016 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭

Coming up to Christmas there were a few occasions where I couldn't get a Hailo at all. I chalked that up to being silly season, but since then, any time I've used it (or tried to) there hasn't been a wait of less than 15 minutes for a car.

Last year I don't think I ever waited more than 8 minutes and it was usually 4 or 5.

Have loads of drivers left the platform or what's the story?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

No difference to me. Where are you hailing from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Couldn't get a hailo on Friday night. Changed from pay with card to pay with cash and got one instantly. Not sure if a coincidence or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Rackstar wrote:
    Couldn't get a hailo on Friday night. Changed from pay with card to pay with cash and got one instantly. Not sure if a coincidence or what?

Driver doesn't know until you get into the car. 90% of hailo fares i get are card and doesn't bother me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Coming up to Christmas there were a few occasions where I couldn't get a Hailo at all. I chalked that up to being silly season, but since then, any time I've used it (or tried to) there hasn't been a wait of less than 15 minutes for a car.

Last year I don't think I ever waited more than 8 minutes and it was usually 4 or 5.

I've noticed the same as well. No hailo taxis available in Ranelagh on a Wednesday morning. Plenty however sitting in the rank.

This kind of thing didn't happen 12 months ago, I figure a lot of drivers have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I've noticed the same as well. No hailo taxis available in Ranelagh on a Wednesday morning. Plenty however sitting in the rank.

This kind of thing didn't happen 12 months ago, I figure a lot of drivers have left.

Or a lot more customers, not just for hailo but taxis in general at peak times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

From conversations I've had with cabbies it's only getting more popular so if there's a delay in a very busy or undersupplied area (plenty of bases giving out to their meal-tickets for "defecting") I'd say it's a natural lengthening of waiting-time if more people are using it more often.
    Anecdotally, it's something that went from "sher I'll try to get a cab from here instead" to "where else would I find a cab?" within a few weeks of using it. Why wouldn't everybody feel that way about such a convenient service?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Dial Hard wrote: »

My understanding is , in the past, if you called for a Hailo cab you got the nearest one,so it would obviously arrive within minutes.
    Now though that is not the case. Hailo are giving jobs to drivers who would have covered jobs when the streets were busy , in other words these drivers would get priority above a car that was lets say 50 yards from your house.
    The "priority" driver might be half a mile away , but because he covered jobs the previous day/ night he gets the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Or a lot more customers, not just for hailo but taxis in general at peak times

I'd hardly consider Ranelagh at 9:25am peak time to be honest.

Rackstar wrote: »

Well with card payment Hailo take over 12% of the fare. In other words the driver loses out , so obviously a cash job is to his benefit and rightly so

Mr.Frame wrote:
    Well with card payment Hailo take over 12% of the fare. In other words the driver loses out , so obviously a cash job is to his benefit and rightly so

They take 12% on all fares cash and card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The last time I tried a Hailo taxi, the guy rang me to ask where I was but then didn't turn up seemingly claiming he couldn't find me.

The next Hailo diver got me at the same place in less than a minute. I'd saya lot of them are simply going to pick up from the street if they have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Some of my driver mates have worked for Hailo and were finding them a bit more awkward to deal with from an office level. A couple have given up with them and moved to Lynx or Uber; even still these delays sound unusually long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

devnull wrote: »
    No difference to me. Where are you hailing from?

Firhouse usually, but also Perrystown & Templeogue quite often and it's happening there too.
    grindle wrote: »
    Anecdotally, it's something that went from "sher I'll try to get a cab from here instead" to "where else would I find a cab?" within a few weeks of using it. Why wouldn't everybody feel that way about such a convenient service?

I'd have expected that to happen three years ago or whenever it first came in alright. But it's been around a good while now and this is only happening since Christmas, really.
    Mr.Frame wrote: »
    My understanding is , in the past, if you called for a Hailo cab you got the nearest one,so it would obviously arrive within minutes.
    Now though that is not the case. Hailo are giving jobs to drivers who would have covered jobs when the streets were busy , in other words these drivers would get priority above a car that was lets say 50 yards from your house.
    The "priority" driver might be half a mile away , but because he covered jobs the previous day/ night he gets the job.

That makes sense if it's the case alright.

Badabing wrote: »
    They take 12% on all fares cash and card

How can they take 12% of the cash .please elaborate

Mr.Frame wrote:
    How can they take 12% of the cash .please elaborate

We obviously keep the cash so they take the 12% from our card work at the end of the week. We get a weekly invoice of the jobs done and the commission taking by hailo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

Last November a Hailo I'd prebooked on a Saturday night never turned up and 4 of us ended up having to get the Dart into town.
    Ever since then I prebook with a non-Hailo for peak times and only use Hailo during off-peak times

Badabing wrote: »
    We obviously keep the cash so they take the 12% from our card work at the end of the week. We get a weekly invoice of the jobs done and the commission taking by hailo.

Just to be clear , if you dont mind.
    I know they take 12% of credit card jobs, but are you saying they also take a deduction of 12% from cash jobs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Just to be clear , if you dont mind.
    I know they take 12% of credit card jobs, but are you saying they also take a deduction of 12% from cash jobs ?

Yes, that's how they make their money, otherwise all drivers would do cash only.

Most drivers will do both so their card payments are reduced by 12% and then again by 12% of the cash jobs.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Yes, that's how they make their money, otherwise all drivers would do cash only.

Most drivers will do both so their card payments are reduced by 12% and then again by 12% of the cash jobs.

Taking 12% from the credit card is bad enough, but taking it from cash jobs as well is a bit excessive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Do they do what uber does for peak periods? E.g. Give fair warning beforehand but up the fare? Does a lot to help with it over here (Toronto) even though it is horrible when you're running late for work, go check uber, and find out your regular $8 fare is now $40 if you want it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Billy86 wrote:
    Do they do what uber does for peak periods? E.g. Give fair warning beforehand but up the fare? Does a lot to help with it over here (Toronto) even though it is horrible when you're running late for work, go check uber, and find out your regular $8 fare is now $40 if you want it!

No, there's no surge pricing here. Pricing is falls under the remit of the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Taking 12% from the credit card is bad enough, but taking it from cash jobs as well is a bit excessive

They take 12% of the fare. It's simple, not excessive

I know 3 taxi drivers and they're very happy working with hailo and über. The company works out 12% of their jobs and stops it from their credit card payments.

They all hate lynx as there are fees attached to it even without any work coming from it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

josip wrote:
    Last November a Hailo I'd prebooked on a Saturday night never turned up and 4 of us ended up having to get the Dart into town. Ever since then I prebook with a non-Hailo for peak times and only use Hailo during off-peak times

I think is a flaw that you can't down vote a diver who doesn't turn up...

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I think they take 12% of their tips too if I heard correctly... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

There's a lot of companies associated with hailing taxis now, such as Uber, Hailo etc. Lynk seems to a popular one and seems to have appeared out of nowhere. Maybe the market has just widened. But I do agree, Hailo is not as popular as it used to be/its so popular theres a shortage in supply. Although having first heard of this 12pc cut today, I'd imagine its the former. however, I was at a party there not so long ago and my phone was telling me I wouldn't be able to get a cab for ages and I had to walk the 10km home so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Cocoon wrote: »
    I think they take 12% of their tips too if I heard correctly... :eek:

They can't know how much they're tipped

Elemonator wrote: »
    There's a lot of companies associated with hailing taxis now, such as Uber, Hailo etc. Lynk seems to a popular one and seems to have appeared out of nowhere. Maybe the market has just widened. But I do agree, Hailo is not as popular as it used to be/its so popular theres a shortage in supply. Although having first heard of this 12pc cut today, I'd imagine its the former. however, I was at a party there not so long ago and my phone was telling me I wouldn't be able to get a cab for ages and I had to walk the 10km home so who knows.

You walked 10km home ? where do you live?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I find it difficult to believe you could walk 10km faster than it would take ot get a cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Dodge wrote: »
    They can't know how much they're tipped

The take a cut of all tips added through the app. Tip cash in person if you want to tip the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Hailo is in big trouble, they have an urgent need for additional investment, it was recently in the news that they have only enough cash to keep running for another 3 month.

As to Lynk coming out of nowhere, not really true, it's simply a re-branding of Mr Ebbs merry band of shell corporations with an App.

Since uber took away the 10% discount on fares and charges the official taxi rates for taxi's it looks like more drivers are on it (at least from what I can see as availability around me).

And with local companies now also having their apps (like Cab 2000 etc.) there is even more choice.

Advertisement