Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

Posy wrote: »
    There has been a Ravenair (RVR7RE) from Liverpool circling just south of Dublin airport for about an hour.

Looks like it's heading back off over the Irish Sea again now.

Any ideas what he was up to? :/

on Flightradar
    have a goo at
    WKT33
    C550
    CWY08
    REV1OS
    REV4LF
    RVR7NK
    RVR7NJ
    DIWAW
    SPFTD
    N690CC

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

one I have never seen before

STRIKR1
    https://fr24.com/STRIKR1/2461e771

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

blue5000 wrote: »
    You think it's just in to re-fuel so?

Most likely, it would be unusual to be carrying significant weight freight to that part of the world, more likely a refuel to enable another sector to somewhere further in to the States, but we might not know for a while if the crew need to take a rest period before continuing.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

rameire wrote: »
    one I have never seen before

STRIKR1
    https://fr24.com/STRIKR1/2461e771

Due to the massive drop of commercial flights, there's a lot of traffic showing up on Fr24 that would normally not be conspicuous, that area is one, but also I've seen quite a few RAF flights in strange places in recent times, the in flight refuel A330's are going to some very far flung places, probably providing support to flights to places like Falklands, among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

dashoonage wrote: »
    I have a question...sorry of noob stupid question.

I've noticed a lot of the planes coming into shannon the past two days go out to foynes and then back in , is this standard ? or is there a specific reason for this ?

thanks in advance

It is down to the wind. Currently the wind is coming down from a northerly direction so the aircraft are approaching over Foynes on to Runway 06. The prevailing wind is normally form the south west so usually you see aircraft landing in to that wind on to Runway 24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Thanks Foggy!

Guessing that it will be heading for the Falkland Islands. Will be worth seeing where else it stages into for fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Just thinking the flight down to the Falklands must be up there with the longest over water routes .. certainly land is few and far between for the whole duration

dkd21 wrote: »
    Just thinking the flight down to the Falklands must be up there with the longest over water routes .. certainly land is few and far between for the whole duration

Yup, and for smaller aircraft, a logisitcal challenge for the RAF, about a week ago, there was an A330 off the east coast of Brazil heading back to the UK, and given the routing, I suspect it was providing in flight refuelling for something that didn't have the legs or the safety factors on one engine to make the trip down the normal route. Might have been a troop movement or similar that had to take the more westerly route for ETOPS type reasons, either way, it was a LONG way from home.

• Advertisement

Gone in now Cape Verde

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yup, and for smaller aircraft, a logisitcal challenge for the RAF, about a week ago, there was an A330 off the east coast of Brazil heading back to the UK, and given the routing, I suspect it was providing in flight refuelling for something that didn't have the legs or the safety factors on one engine to make the trip down the normal route. Might have been a troop movement or similar that had to take the more westerly route for ETOPS type reasons, either way, it was a LONG way from home.

I would have thought that what you saw was the return flight of the twice weekly “airbridge” flight between RAF Brize Norton and RAF Mount Pleasant in the Falklands?

That’s a long established standard route operating out of the UK every Wednesday and Sunday carrying troops, civilians and supplies to the islands.

It uses the A330 Voyager aircraft of AirTanker, and currently refuels midway at either Dakar in Senegal or Sal in Cape Verde due to the runway at the normal refuelling point on Ascension Island being completely rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

2 Inbound PEK-DUB
    1 Outbound DUB-PEK
    1 Outbound DUB-ORD

Not much Aer Lingus action so far today, I do wonder what the 3 TATL flights are most days - JFK, BOS and ORD. Can't see much of a passenger demand to keep these operating unless there is a serious cargo need for Pharmaceuticals or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭HorseSea

Wow, the amount of helicopters over the North Sea atm and lots around the south of England, Belgium and Netherlands. I lost count after 30, I assume most of them are oil rig related?

Guessing that it will be heading for the Falkland Islands. Will be worth seeing where else it stages into for fuel.

It has now just taken off from Sal in Cape Verde heading south, presumably for the Falklands after crew rest period.

https://www.flightradar24.com/RRR6370/2462f36b

Meanwhile an A330 Voyager is heading for Dakar from Brize Norton.

https://www.flightradar24.com/TOW2230/2462d2c4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It has now just taken off from Sal in Cape Verde heading south, presumably for the Falklands after crew rest period.

Meanwhile an A330 Voyager is heading for Dakar from Brize Norton.

https://www.flightradar24.com/TOW2230/2462d2c4

Aye heading directly for the Falklands, does it have the range or will it need another fuel stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

See post #9405 just above.

3 RAF 330's in the air at the moment, one heading for Falklands, one on the way to somewhere in the middle east or beyond (over Turkey at present), and one heading back into Brize after 2 refuelling sorties over the South of England and the North Sea, callsign TOW.

3 RAF 330's in the air at the moment, one heading for Falklands, one on the way to somewhere in the middle east or beyond (over Turkey at present), and one heading back into Brize after 2 refuelling sorties over the South of England and the North Sea, callsign TOW.

I would imagine that RRR2302 over Turkey is heading for RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus.

https://www.flightradar24.com/RRR2302/2462ea6d

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I would imagine that RRR2302 over Turkey is heading for RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus.

https://www.flightradar24.com/RRR2302/2462ea6d

It has just landed at RAF Akrotiri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Just looking at Gulfstream G450 descending into Dublin coming from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Just looking at Gulfstream G450 descending into Dublin coming from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

HZ-MS4C of Saudi Armed Forces Medical Services. Interesting visitor

Volga-Dnepr Ilyushin Il 76 en route to Shannon for 2.15pm .reg RA 76503

Just been looking at the history, multi sector flight Riyadh-Athens-Shannon-Gander-Norfolk(USA), 17 hours flying time over 3 days . What made me look was another IL76 not long out of Gander heading down to St Marten

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

marno21 wrote: »
    HZ-MS4C of Saudi Armed Forces Medical Services. Interesting visitor

Noticed that one too, will be interesting to see where its heading on departure..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Inquitus wrote: »
    2 Inbound PEK-DUB
    1 Outbound DUB-PEK
    1 Outbound DUB-ORD

Not much Aer Lingus action so far today, I do wonder what the 3 TATL flights are most days - JFK, BOS and ORD. Can't see much of a passenger demand to keep these operating unless there is a serious cargo need for Pharmaceuticals or similar.
    Chicago has always been a lucrative cargo route for EI. With the drop in air traffic maybe moreso nowadays. JFK would also have a certain level of regular freight.

Then you have the need to have a way home available for Irish citizens. (I know a lady who came home about 10 days. Had been visiting her ill daughter in California since early March. Come home via Chicago.)
    AMS and LHR cover ppl coming from elsewhere in the World. EG. My brother almost got stuck in Sth America. Got home via AMS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just been looking at the history, multi sector flight Riyadh-Athens-Shannon-Gander-Norfolk(USA), 17 hours flying time over 3 days . What made me look was another IL76 not long out of Gander heading down to St Marten

I wonder were the Shannon and Gander stops just for fuel and a break for the crew?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I wonder were the Shannon and Gander stops just for fuel and a break for the crew?

Looks that way, the entire trip was on the one flight number, and the breaks were long enough to allow rest periods where appropriate.

Looks like the globemaster (RRR6370) has just fuel stopped at Rio De Janeiro.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye heading directly for the Falklands, does it have the range or will it need another fuel stop?

The Globemaster has just landed in Rio de Janeiro.

We will have to see what happens next.

• Advertisement

Globemaster in the air again, about 30 minutes ahead of the A330, TOW2230

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement