Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night: Hendricks v Thompson & Artem v White

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Anyone who hasnt seen the scoggins v Borg fight I'd highly reccomend watching it from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All caught up now. If the UFC decide to go with Lawler/Condit II, they should really consider sticking it on UFC 200 with Wonderboy v Rory MacDonald also featuring on that card as a title eliminator fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hendricks by Submission
    That_Guy wrote: »
    All caught up now. If the UFC decide to go with Lawler/Condit II, they should really consider sticking it on UFC 200 with Wonderboy v Rory MacDonald also featuring on that card as a title eliminator fight.

Good insurance policy too if Lawler or Condit get injured. Wonderboy can slot right into the title fight and I think he richly deserves it after last night.

WW is by far my favourite division at the moment. Lawler, Wonderboy, Rory, Condit, Maia, possible GSP return, Hendricks, Woodley and so on. Absolutely stacked with talent, it's like what LHW used to be between 2007 and 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Hendricks by Submission
    delighted for wonderboy but hendricks?
    has never looked like being finished in his career and then that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

mailburner wrote: »
    delighted for wonderboy but hendricks?
    has never looked like being finished in his career and then that :eek:

He looked completely overawed. I wonder if the weight cut is taking premise over improving his skill set. His game plan (whatever it might have been) looked non existent.

He tried to close the distance but was being absolutely peppered on the inside and the outside.

I don't particularly like the idea of a fighter grinding out victories but he should have shot for the TD and nullified Wonderboy's stand up completely.

Much like the Nelson fight, he did what he had to against Rosholt. It wasn't pretty but it's a W under his record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hendricks by Submission
    3 minutes in and it turns into a full blown conversation about gay sex followed by Eddie Bravo talking about Mike Pyle's escapades on a night out. You've got to love the randomness of these Fight Companions :pac:

Paully D wrote: »
    3 minutes in and it turns into a full blown conversation about gay sex. You've got to love the randomness of these Fight Companions :pac:

Brilliant pod half way through Rogan starts showing Callen how to do a front leg side kick gas stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

I tried to follow FC for the first time last night (this morning) I understand what they are doing (trying) MMA with your mates, but this was too ME ME ME ME and ME. JR even had to tell them to STFU for the last fight.

Shame, the other FC i've listened too off line are extra cool, but last night. not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

I tried to follow FC for the first time last night (this morning) I understand what they are doing (trying) MMA with your mates, but this was too ME ME ME ME and ME. JR even had to tell them to STFU for the last fight.

Shame, the other FC i've listened too off line are extra cool, but last night. not for me.

I think they're hilarious, can even deal with Callen when there are 3 others to shut him down nicely. And always a few interesting points / nuggets I wouldn't have know about or noticed.

Half remind me of Gerry Ryan's three old men in a pub in parts :D

• Advertisement

Hendricks by Submission
    I think the Fight Companion's are brilliant. I'd never try to follow them throughout the fights but for listening to afterwards they're great IMO.
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Brilliant pod half way through Rogan starts showing Callen how to do a front leg side kick gas stuff.

Eddie Bravo is going to get Mike Pyle strung up if he was with his current wife at the time of his story. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jackson had no right to be in the octagon. What a joke.
    ASOT wrote: »
    Yep in firmness to punk he called it he was to busy worrying about the hook and left his neck out, what did they expect though it's basically the same as toney coming in Jackson had a punchers chance but it was game over once it went to the ground.
    Farcical fight having a photographer fight in the octagon there its pure entertainment now Dana is making a joke out of the sport of mixed martial arts,I hope Gall smashes Cm Punks teeth in,

I don't know guys, I think everyone is overreacting a bit to that one. The way you describe it, you think they grabbed a guy from the crowd who never trained before, or been any where near a cage, to fight a seasoned pro.

Gall had 1 pro fight prior. Jackson had 0 pro fights, but fought at amateur a good few years ago (so he was training a few years at least).
    It has to be pretty hard to matchmaker when you've no fight history.

I didn't see Gall debut on looking for a fighter, so maybe that explains a lot.
    Artem looked great on TUF but my god he's been dismal in actual fights since. Doesn't really deserve another chance to be honest but he might get one.

meh, He's had one loss post TUF. He'll get another shot, but it will go the same way unless he;
    1. At least pretends to be considering a takedown
    2. Works on his timing and sets up strikes better

Everyone has seen the blueprint on him laid bare on TUF. Don't stand in front of him, watch for the wind up.

Also, CM Puck hasn't a snowball's chance in hell.
    I expected he'd get a ammy striker transfering to MMA, so that he might possess at least possess a small grappling advantage. (Punk has to be a decent blue belt at least by now). But against a grappler, he'll be subbed in the first.

Mellor wrote: »
    Also, CM Puck hasn't a snow balls chance in hell.
    I expected he'd get a ammy striker transfering to MMA, so that he might possess at least possess a small grappling advantage. (Punk has to be a decent blue belt at least by now). But against a grappler, he'll be subbed in the first.

Whats the odds punk gets 'injured now and doesnt fight,real possibility he looked v awkward and nervous to me seeing Gall starch that guy in a minute,the guy Gall bet offered zero but he done his job and whooped him cant argue with that I like Gall too I hope he gives CM a bad beating and sends him back to wrassling,I respect him trying mma but dont like the way he comes across in intvs.

Also, CM Puck hasn't a snow balls chance in hell.

Agreed… there was a camera shot just after Gall's win - when they (cringe) panned to CM Punk in the audience but with really really bad /direct lighting and man he looked old, like waaay more than 37 years of bad road. Just a real dry skinned middle aged look about him. He'd lost a good 10 years a few mins later under the good pro/bounced lighting talking to Ariel backstage.

Whats the odds punk gets 'injured now and doesnt fight,real possibility he looked v awkward and nervous to me seeing Gall starch that guy in a minute,the guy Gall bet offered zero but he done his job and whooped him cant argue with that I like Gall too I hope he gives CM a bad beating and sends him back to wrassling,I respect him trying mma but dont like the way he comes across in intvs.
    I estimated earlier (on the cm wrestling thread) that he's about 50% chance that he even fights this year. I reckon that's accurate enough
    Cali_girl wrote: »
    Agreed… there was a camera shot just after Gall's win - when they (cringe) panned to CM Punk in the audience but with really really bad /direct lighting and man he looked old, like waaay more than 37 years of bad road. Just a real dry skinned middle aged look about him. He'd lost a good 10 years a few mins later under the good pro/bounced lighting talking to Ariel backstage.

Even if he was 27, in incredibly good WWE-levelshape, I'd still think he's have no chance against a legit grappler like Gall.

Hendricks by Submission
    Punk will get submitted by Gall within 120 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Hendricks by Submission
    Bit surprised by these numbers, 5th Highest for an FS1 show, highest viewers for the post fight shoe also.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/9/10955002/thompson-vs-hendricks-finishes-no-5-in-fs-1-fight-night-ratings

ASOT wrote: »
    Bit surprised by these numbers, 5th Highest for an FS1 show, highest viewers for the post fight shoe also.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/9/10955002/thompson-vs-hendricks-finishes-no-5-in-fs-1-fight-night-ratings
    Not that surprising with Hendricks' title on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Hendricks by Submission
    Ive never even heard of CM Punk until the recent ufc association but listening to a few interviews with him he speaks so well. Very reasoned respectful speaker. Yet I sense there is a lot of hate against him, whats with that?.
    Does it stem from ''the audacity of him thinking he can come from fake wrestling to mma?''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Thompson by Decision
    ''the audacity of him thinking he can come from fake wrestling to mma?''

To be honest it downgrades the sport. Everyone else in the UFC would have spent years training in combat sports, gone through amateur and professional ranks in low then higher level organisations. Only after impressive runs of fights are fighters offered low level or entry level contracts in the UFC. Many fighters would have sacrificed a huge portion of their lives to get to that point.

CM Punk has done none of these things, really he is a celebrity with an interest in MMA. He was signed to a lucrative contract in the worlds premire MMA organisation, it makes about as much sense as if he was signed to play for the LA Lakers because he enjoys playing basketball in his free time and his pretty decent for backyard player, but has never played a competitive game in his life.

califano wrote: »
    Ive never even heard of CM Punk until the recent ufc association but listening to a few interviews with him he speaks so well. Very reasoned respectful speaker. Yet I sense there is a lot of hate against him, whats with that?.
    Does it stem from ''the audacity of him thinking he can come from fake wrestling to mma?''

Have a look at his Twitter page. You see less of the reasoned professional and a lot more of the whiney teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,686 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have a look at his Twitter page. You see less of the reasoned professional and a lot more of the whiney teenager.

Exactly. I never heard of him before UFC But anytime i see one of his tweets retweeted, he is always a moany ***** like when he was announced he will be in the new UFC game, he said something like 'can't wait to see what the butthurt dummies think about this'. I get he is hated and why he is hated but he's doing nothing to try win people over.

Advertisement