Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

guns_healy wrote: »
    Got an update from Eir today for anyone interested in broadband. No matter who you want the service off.

The 3 bed phelan park houses have no access to broadband until eir do a site survey to determine the work that's needed to be done. That survey has been scheduled in for the 30th of December :( .

I'd imagine the new 4 beds facing the canal will have the same issue as us.

Bizarre considering 30 yards across the road from me in phelan avenue etc has access to Internet

Can someone make sure the new houses being built on Bridge Avenue get included if they are dealing with Eir? Would be very helpful, thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Hi All,

We Just snagged this week and overall we're very happy with the build.

If anyone wants pictures of the pocket doors or extended Minerva counter top PM me. They seem to have changed the Minerva colour from the solid white in the show house to a slightly speckled version. I don't think it looks as clean but no big deal.

They also cut the minerva in the upstairs toilet to give access to the back of the toilets. Seems a little crude, but not really sure what the
    options were here?

Anyone else snag this week and make any observations?

Cheers

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Hi All,

If anyone wants pictures of the pocket doors or extended Minerva counter top PM me. They seem to have changed the Minerva colour from the solid white in the show house to a slightly speckled version. I don't think it looks as clean but no big deal.

They also cut the minerva in the upstairs toilet to give access to the back of the toilets. Seems a little crude, but not really sure what the
    options were here?

Cheers

Sent you a PM. Let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sunshine135

Hi,
    Does anyone maybe have unwanted moving boxes? Please PM me, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

cronos wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any information on Living in Royal Canal Park, Ashtown?

Thanks

No need for a new thread. Merged into this one

Mod

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Hi All,

options were here?

Cheers

I've just done 3 units for clients last week and although a few silly errors (which I would put down to staff member going on leave and things getting lost in the handover to the new B-more rep.) it was the usual above average standard. I've been quite impressed overall with the way they deal with problems my snag list reports highlight.
    Even when you dig a little deeper on something that isn't on view anymore (closed in - within a wall cavity etc.) Its good to be furnished with details that show they don't have the 'out of sight / out of mind' attitude which is unfortunately creeping back in again at some builds across the city as the market and demand improves.
    The only down side from my side is the 4 bedrooms are a BIG house!, and they take a good deal of time to inspect satisfactorily. However I still welcome new work at the development as everything else in the snagging process is facilitated with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Two weeks in one of the Ashes on Phelan Park, and here are my first impressions for those who asked:

* Post-purchase adjustments - Before we moved in, we had the house repainted and floored. Plenty of places and workmen to select from. We had very good experience with the carpenter for laminate flooring and a few odd jobs around the house (mainly cutting down the doors), painter and window blinds company. Decent experience with carpeting and alarm. Bad experience with tile fitter (good job fitting the tiles, but left enormous mess).

* Heating and electricity - The house retains warmth exceptionally well. We usually keep the temperature at a sweltering 20 until we go to sleep; it's about 19C in the morning, with 0-4 degrees outside. Hot water all day - haven't had such luxury before in Ireland. The heat/water heater management interface is quite sophisticated, and I didn't get the chance to read the manual yet, so we keep it at comfort setting. Downstairs, in the utility room, we also have a heating console, which I didn't master yet, either. So we're just using classic manual thermostats, and so far that's been sufficient. It's too early to say how much we'll pay for electricity.

* Security - The neighborhood is exceptionally quiet, which we like. We're not too excited about the fact that street lights are not yet turned on, but that's a minor thing. We never saw anyone threatening in the streets, and our only negative experience was that someone rummaged overnight through low-value items we stored in the back garden. I think this won't be a concern once people move to the Herons with which we share the gardens.

* Relationship with builders - Once we closed on the house, the builders became wholly unresponsive. Despite numerous e-mails, calls and even a personal visit, we still have one unresolved deficiency we didn't catch during snagging. So far, the builders wouldn't even tell us the shade of the off-white paint color used for doors and skirting boards, so that we can paint over a few scratched.

* Kitchen - In my opinion, this is the weakest part of the build. The kitchen was assembled shoddily. Drawers are skewed and keep falling off the rails, despite having been fixed when our snagger pointed these issues out. The design of the gray parts (drawers and bottom cabinets) is also poor: edges of the wood are fairly sharp, and pulling them open can be uncomfortable on your fingers. I'm currently in the process of installing handles on all of them.

* Mobile and boradband - As discussed earlier, Three is very poor in this area. Inside the house, I completely lost connectivity (no carrier on my phone), and mobile data was a distant dream. Since then I switched to Vodafone, which is marginally better, but even there the signal quality varies a little. Decent mobile data, though. Now the best news, especially for guns_healy: Eir installed Eir Fibre in our house on Friday. Apparently, it is fully available on Phelan Park. So far, I've been very happy with the speed and reliability. The only downside is that the only connection the technician could find working is in the middle of the hallway, where we now have the router, but eventually we'll get cables done to the family room and may even sign for TV.

All in all, we're very happy with the house. The few things we found here are all fixable. As it happens, I'm exhibiting selection bias here, pointing out the few negative experiences we've had, but the vast majority of our stay here has been nothing but pleasant.

Did you get doors between the Kitchen and living room?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

Bruncvik - In relation to the router having to be in the hall, Did you replace the RJ11 sockets in the other rooms and in the utility room? When you say the only connection he could find do you mean the only socket that was working?

• Advertisement

cronos wrote:
    Did you get doors between the Kitchen and living room?
    Yes. I didn't even know there was an option not to get them. Eventually, we may replace them with sliding doors, but that's years into the future.
    Nhol78 wrote:
    Bruncvik - In relation to the router having to be in the hall, Did you replace the RJ11 sockets in the other rooms and in the utility room? When you say the only connection he could find do you mean the only socket that was working?
    I wasn't present for the installation. But we didn't replace anything before the installer came; in this regard the house was just as provided by the builders. From what I've been told, the installer was testing several cables, including the ones behind the plain plate in the utility rooms. The only ones that worked for him (I assume that means they've had data connection) were in the hallway, so he installed a socket there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Bruncvik wrote: »
    Yes. I didn't even know there was an option not to get them. Eventually, we may replace them with sliding doors, but that's years into the future.

The doors between the kitchen and sitting room are the default in the ash but are a change for the herons.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

I see a few houses around went with Cuala alarms - would you recommend them? Did you get Siemens system?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi

For those of you who have already have moved into one of the houses, can you tell me how long was it from the date you were given to snag, till the day you got the keys? Two weeks Three? Also could you move in even when the snag was not complete, or does everything have to to be fully fixed and signed off

Thanks

In our experience, our snag list had been completed within 2.5 weeks since the snag. We then had the snagger come again and review all the fixes, and once he's been happy we closed on the house and got the key as soon as the money arrived on the builder's account (in our case that was overnight). So total time was about 3 weeks. Given the total lack or response from the builder since closing, both for information requests and requests for small fixes overlooked during the snagging process, I would advise against closing on the house until you are absolutely happy with its condition.

We have not yet closed and will not be until spring and I have been struggling to hear back from the builder. The previous contact Dona who was very good at responding is out on leave :(. I am going to give them one more day before I start going up the chain to complain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nhol78 wrote: »
    We have not yet closed and will not be until spring and I have been struggling to hear back from the builder. The previous contact Dona who was very good at responding is out on leave :(. I am going to give them one more day before I start going up the chain to complain.

If your house is not ready until march/April of 2017, what could be so important that you need an answer to now?

Genuinely asking?

Discussing changes for example, You have a deadline to agree them with the builder.....

Does anyone know the plans for the green area and trees fenced off by the canal opposite Watermint Court apartments?

Discussing changes for example, You have a deadline to agree them with the builder.....

The guy who replaced Donna is quite responsive - do you have his email and number? If you can get down during the day you could try to speak to the site manager Jason directly, he is a busy man but he gets stuff sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Arbie wrote: »
    The guy who replaced Donna is quite responsive - do you have his email and number? If you can get down during the day you could try to speak to the site manager Jason directly, he is a busy man but he gets stuff sorted.

I was just about to suggest this. As the message may not be relayed to the guys on site so best call in for 30 mins and have your list of changes in writing or a copy of that you can give him.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

OK thanks for the info.

@ Nhol78

Yes you need to ring them directly , do you have the correct number? They have had issues with their phone so the correct number for the site office is now 01-8996316. I have found them responsive once you get through. Obviously its better still if you can make an appointment to visit the site as other posters have suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Hi Folks,

Can we ask anyone that has moved in already, how did they find their house after they'd submitted the snag list? Would you recommend having your snaggr there with you when they ask you to view the completion..

Thanks

minkey wrote: »
    OK thanks for the info.

@ Nhol78

Yes you need to ring them directly , do you have the correct number? They have had issues with their phone so the correct number for the site office is now 01-8996316. I have found them responsive once you get through. Obviously its better still if you can make an appointment to visit the site as other posters have suggested

I tried but the number that I got from Donna's out of office was not working. It is all good now as I got a response to my e-mail.

For those who are interested I learned a little bit more about getting the network set-up in the houses.

The electrician will replace all of the RJ11 (Phone Sockets) with RJ45 (Network/internet) sockets but will not connect them. You need to get another person to do this.

The electrician gave me a contact and i was quoted between 150 - 200 ( Price assumes that the electrician fitted face plates on sockets)euro to get everything live and to have a router in the utility room. This includes being able to have your internet router in the utility room and having the internet cables for the house alarm sorted out.

The reason why some people only have a live socket in the hallway for the internet router it's because none of the others are connected. There is a loop between that live connection and the utility room that needs to be connected to make it all work.

Out of curiosity: Anyone else experiencing water dripping (occasionally constant stream for 10-20 seconds, but usually just drops) from the top floor bathroom fans? In addition to the annoyance (loud enough to wake me up, already damaged a cabinet in one of the bathrooms), I figure it may pose a fire hazard. Should I contact the builders, or will it go away when the house settles down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Yes contact the builders. We haven't had it but a few people have. They're aware of it and fixing it for all houses. In the meantime work out a way to protect your cabinet!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ek

Out of curiosity: Anyone else experiencing water dripping (occasionally constant stream for 10-20 seconds, but usually just drops) from the top floor bathroom fans? In addition to the annoyance (loud enough to wake me up, already damaged a cabinet in one of the bathrooms), I figure it may pose a fire hazard. Should I contact the builders, or will it go away when the house settles down?

We contacted them about the same problem a month ago. We're still waiting.

Yes contact the builders. We haven't had it but a few people have. They're aware of it and fixing it for all houses. In the meantime work out a way to protect your cabinet!

Thank you. I called the office using the number that was recently posted here. Had the building site manager come out and check it. He told me to leave our key at the management office (we already changed our locks; he said they keep spare keys for the original locks at the office), and they'll be doing the entire Phelan Park row of houses on Thursday. He said that the problem only occurs in the en-suite bathroom and is caused by a lack of insulation on the extractor fan tube, which causes the steam to condense before released into air. They'll be adding insulation to these tubes.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I called the office using the number that was recently posted here. Had the building site manager come out and check it. He told me to leave our key at the management office (we already changed our locks; he said they keep spare keys for the original locks at the office), and they'll be doing the entire Phelan Park row of houses on Thursday. He said that the problem only occurs in the en-suite bathroom and is caused by a lack of insulation on the extractor fan tube, which causes the steam to condense before released into air. They'll be adding insulation to these tubes.

Bruncvik,
    I am quite surprised to hear that the builders have a set of keys for a house that has been sold. Is this normal practice? Is it only for the front doors? Do they hand them all over after a certain amount of time?

Advertisement