Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

We seem to have a situation along the path along the canal to Broombridge. As I was running to work this morning, I noticed that the concrete barriers separating the path and a seemingly abandoned yard in the industrial park were broken down. There were several fires burning in the yard, and the remnants of several fires were visible along the path (the largest, with the remains of several tyres, by Broom Bridge). Between Broom Bridge and Lock 7 were several more tyres and at Lock 7 an industrial-sized recycling bin floating in the canal. When I was running back in the afternoon, wooden planking also separating the yard from the path was on fire.

I reported this to DCC. I have two major concerns here. The immediate one is that we have a person or multiple people setting stuff on fire, very close to our homes. The longer term concern is about security. The yard seems to be unmonitored, and could easily serve as a staging area for more antisocial behavior in the neighborhood. In particular, in winter when Luas is in operation and people will use the path in the darkness, people could easily get attacked from there. Fixing this will not be trivial, so DCC or the property owner should start looking at fencing the yard over again in the short term, and providing a safer path by the time Luas starts operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IrishGirl12

Bruncvik wrote: »
    We seem to have a situation along the path along the canal to Broombridge. As I was running to work this morning, I noticed that the concrete barriers separating the path and a seemingly abandoned yard in the industrial park were broken down. There were several fires burning in the yard, and the remnants of several fires were visible along the path (the largest, with the remains of several tyres, by Broom Bridge). Between Broom Bridge and Lock 7 were several more tyres and at Lock 7 an industrial-sized recycling bin floating in the canal. When I was running back in the afternoon, wooden planking also separating the yard from the path was on fire.

I reported this to DCC. I have two major concerns here. The immediate one is that we have a person or multiple people setting stuff on fire, very close to our homes. The longer term concern is about security. The yard seems to be unmonitored, and could easily serve as a staging area for more antisocial behavior in the neighborhood. In particular, in winter when Luas is in operation and people will use the path in the darkness, people could easily get attacked from there. Fixing this will not be trivial, so DCC or the property owner should start looking at fencing the yard over again in the short term, and providing a safer path by the time Luas starts operating.

Thanks for sharing this information, it is worrying and I think you are right to report it. We will be moving into Royal Canal Avenue at the end of the year and and I am really hoping anti-social behaviour won't be an issue. If you need any support on this please just let me know. I wonder was it reported to the local police station?

I'll be depending on the luas to get me to work each day and the thoughts of walking that section of the canal in the winter mornings/evenings is not appealing at all but I am hoping plenty of people will be using the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Thanks for sharing this information, it is worrying and I think you are right to report it. We will be moving into Royal Canal Avenue at the end of the year and and I am really hoping anti-social behaviour won't be an issue. If you need any support on this please just let me know. I wonder was it reported to the local police station?

I'll be depending on the luas to get me to work each day and the thoughts of walking that section of the canal in the winter mornings/evenings is not appealing at all but I am hoping plenty of people will be using the luas.

For those who aren't already on the community facebook group I recommend joining it https://www.facebook.com/groups/185294091624379/

Also worth joining the policing mailing list and attending the events. Navan Road / Pelletstown Community Policing Forum mailing list. Send e-mail to olive.warnock@dublincity.ie to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Broombridge unfortunately is notorious for being set on fire. Including today it's been 3 days in a row with fires along the canal. The fires are being set by groups of kids who then hangout on the bridge for the gardai and firebrigade. I personally called the cops.

I'm unsure how best we as a community can handle this. It's well outside the development so not for the management company. This behaviour has been going on for so many years it's taken as par of the course.

It is indeed outside the estate, but it will be getting a lot of foot traffic come December. I remember waking from Ashtown station last winter. The area is somewhat open, with street lights bleeding onto the path, and still it was quite dark. I'd expect the much more narrow and dark path from Broombridge station to be treacherous enough on its own; I don't need to run into bored kids looking for trouble.

• Advertisement

I guess the hope is that with increased footfall the area will improve. Basically using public transport to drive social policy. I'm personally quiet worried about how open the cafe area is to the canal. Don't forget they set fire to that already. The key thing we have to watch out for is spreading anti social behaviour. It starts small like the drinking and dumping that is happening by the cafe or people not picking g up after dogs and builds.

We saw a large dog off lead chasing a man the other day, the owner not giving a care.

I got taken down by a dog on a leash while running in Phoenix Park on Sunday :P In my later discussions with other runners I was told that unless the dog is too big or rabid, a well-aimed kick will calm it down and make the owner care a bit more. I just hope I'll never have to try.

I hear your concern about the cafe. But it was on the edge of the development; I think with completed and soon to be occupied houses around it, it's going to be a little safer. We also saw a Garda patrol car around the neighborhood yesterday, and another Garda cycling along the canal, and I appreciated their increased presence. Let's hope they can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Walked to RCP from city center this week. its a beautiful walk up to the Matter, then over along the canal. People kayaking beside the mill, the next canal stretch could be in the middle of the countryside, people picking black berries, out walking dogs, fishing and just enjoying life.

Then you get to the tiny section between broom bridge and RCP. Group of lads drinking flaggans of cider, shouting at passers by, two young lads pushing another young lad into the canal, that wall burned and kicked down, bags of rubbish hanging off the fence.

Along the whole stretch, its the only part that is an issue and its 100% caused by people with little regard for anyone or anything.

No idea how It could be dealt with other than having a garda there all the time, and that would never happen.
    I'm unsure how best we as a community can handle this. It's well outside the development so not for the management company.
    Its not going be for much longer, the houses under development along the canal are right beside broom bridge,the risk to them being vandalised must be relatively high at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 elTenedor

We've recently bought along there and are due to move in September. We don't live too far from there at the moment as it is and the past few weeks the level of anti-social behavior has been quite worrying. Personally, I've only seen gardai presence cycling along the canal twice and one of those occurrences was yesterday. Cabra garda station is under the control of Blanchardstown and not fully manned. My car was broken into a number of months ago parked up near the canal bar, two gardai arrived from Cabra an hour after I called and basically told me I should have called Finglas because I would have gotten a quicker response. For the Taoiseach's constituency, I wonder if there was contact made collectively from our residents associations' would we at least be able progress getting a fully manned garda station for starters!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dor1971

I moved in to RCP on Jan 23rd last. Walked the canal path from Broombridge to RCP on quite a few evenings in deepest darkest Jan, Feb, March. Circa 6.30pm/7pm. Never came across any trouble however it was very intimidating. It is so dark you can’t see your hand on front of your face never mind the potholed puddles. There is zero light spilling in from surrounding property etc (as most of the industrial units alongside it are derelict). Even though I was on rush hour trains more often than not I was the only person walking that section of path, most people chose to stay on the train to Ashtown and walk back down from there. (I ended up doing this myself eventually rather than run the gauntlet from BB)

I am also hoping that the increased number of commuters due to the additional houses will make the path that bit more busy but with Luas trains arriving every few minutes the likely hood of a group of people walking the path at the same time could still be slim. You could quite easily end up walking it alone in the dark with the alternative being waiting a few minutes for the next Luas to come in before anyone else is able to join you on the walk. Not ideal so maybe the long walk via BallyBoggin Rd (still a bit dodge) is the best route across the winter months or stick with the IR train to Ashtown.

BTW: spoke with the community Garda a few weeks back (she cycles around the place from time to time). She said the canal path and Tolka Valley Park were ‘unpoliceable’!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 dor1971

Re Cabra Garda Station. Was in there recently reporting a rather unsavoury incident in RCP and the Garda told me they have something like 8 Guards stationed there and 6 of them are permanently on duty at Aras an Uachtarain!!

Bruncvik wrote: »
    I got taken down by a dog on a leash while running in Phoenix Park on Sunday :P In my later discussions with other runners I was told that unless the dog is too big or rabid, a well-aimed kick will calm it down and make the owner care a bit more. I just hope I'll never have to try.

I hear your concern about the cafe. But it was on the edge of the development; I think with completed and soon to be occupied houses around it, it's going to be a little safer. We also saw a Garda patrol car around the neighborhood yesterday, and another Garda cycling along the canal, and I appreciated their increased presence. Let's hope they can keep it up.

Building the bridge and train station would also help protect the cafe.

dor1971 wrote: »
    I moved in to RCP on Jan 23rd last. Walked the canal path from Broombridge to RCP on quite a few evenings in deepest darkest Jan, Feb, March. Circa 6.30pm/7pm. Never came across any trouble however it was very intimidating. It is so dark you can’t see your hand on front of your face never mind the potholed puddles. There is zero light spilling in from surrounding property etc (as most of the industrial units alongside it are derelict). Even though I was on rush hour trains more often than not I was the only person walking that section of path, most people chose to stay on the train to Ashtown and walk back down from there. (I ended up doing this myself eventually rather than run the gauntlet from BB)

I am also hoping that the increased number of commuters due to the additional houses will make the path that bit more busy but with Luas trains arriving every few minutes the likely hood of a group of people walking the path at the same time could still be slim. You could quite easily end up walking it alone in the dark with the alternative being waiting a few minutes for the next Luas to come in before anyone else is able to join you on the walk. Not ideal so maybe the long walk via BallyBoggin Rd (still a bit dodge) is the best route across the winter months or stick with the IR train to Ashtown.

BTW: spoke with the community Garda a few weeks back (she cycles around the place from time to time). She said the canal path and Tolka Valley Park were ‘unpoliceable’!

Need to as a community push for the train station to get built. That will reduce dependence on BB. That does not mean that both problems need to be tackled as you still need to be able to get to the luas. But it would be step 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stenomattia

Hi, we'll be moving in probably early next year in one of the latter phase houses overlooking the canal. The new Luas at Broomsbridge was a deciding factor and the latests posts are certainly concerning. Does anyone have any info on the works of the Greenway phase 4 (http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8), which would cover and improve the stretch between Broomsbridge and RCP? I understand Phase 2 and 3 are currently in the works and phase 4 should be the latter phase for Dublin (http://irishcycle.com/2015/06/03/a-detailed-look-at-the-royal-canal-greenway-in-dublin-city/). Improvements would include new paving and lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭griffdlk

Hi, we'll be moving in probably early next year in one of the latter phase houses overlooking the canal. The new Luas at Broomsbridge was a deciding factor and the latests posts are certainly concerning. Does anyone have any info on the works of the Greenway phase 4 (http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8), which would cover and improve the stretch between Broomsbridge and RCP? I understand Phase 2 and 3 are currently in the works and phase 4 should be the latter phase for Dublin (http://irishcycle.com/2015/06/03/a-detailed-look-at-the-royal-canal-greenway-in-dublin-city/). Improvements would include new paving and lighting.

Phase 4 funds were re-diverted to the LUAS works last September. Nothing concrete has come out of the NTA on this since but it could be years.

cronos wrote: »
    Need to as a community push for the train station to get built. That will reduce dependence on BB. That does not mean that both problems need to be tackled as you still need to be able to get to the luas. But it would be step 1.

I'm not sure that's going to be a solution. If anything it could lead to more issues as evident by broombridge. Is ashington any better than cabra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Manion wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's going to be a solution. If anything it could lead to more issues as evident by broombridge. Is ashington any better than cabra?

Ashington apparently object to the train station because they're posh and we're a load of knackers 😂

The answer is the upgrade of the towpath and the development of the derelict sites. The first requires badgering politicians, the second is likely to happen when the luas opens.

I have to say though in three years of living in Ashtown I've had far more trouble from the vicious swans on that path then any person. Those swans are TERRIFYING.

Just goes to show. I saw a couple at the lock this evening, knocking back buds and Feicing the cans in the canal. So maybe they have a point...

I agree though, first step is is political.

I have to say though in three years of living in Ashtown I've had far more trouble from the vicious swans on that path then any person. Those swans are TERRIFYING.

Oh don't let me started. When I run to work, I'm too fast for them, but on weekends, when I go down to the farmer market, I always have to carry some freshly cut grass to appease them so that they let me pass. I'm really worried when I run out of grass in my garden. I'll have to resort to climbing over the fence to my neighbors' backyards.

Manion wrote: »

Issues with broomsbridge have nothing to do with the train station. They have to do with the presence of an industrial estate and lots of forgotten about buildings.

The train station is definitely a necessity for the area.

• Advertisement

Issues with broomsbridge have nothing to do with the train station. They have to do with the presence of an industrial estate and lots of forgotten about buildings.

The train station is definitely a necessity for the area.

I was making the point that public transport infrastructure doesn't solve social problems. A station at pellets town won't fix broom bridge. However, train stations , luas stops and bus stops can become focal points for anti social behaviour. That can be as simple as littering and drinking to more serious problems. Anywhere people loiter has this potential. Howth junction is another terrible and isolated train station.

The problem with broom bridge goes beyond the derelict sites. The lack of policing and the neighboring communities are also aspects. We could have the exact same issues if there isn't good community commitment.

BTW absolutely the area needs the train station. The increased property value alone makes it worth while. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I would expect it's in the Luas best interest to have a stream of commuters using the service so I would hope the works to the canal side will be prioritized in light of that.

I might mail them to find out if they have any thoughts on the subject.

The industrial estate owners should be brought on board, the relative success of the farmers market show there is demand for more retail and services in the area if they can boost footfall.

Theres some great businesses in those business parks that I discovered by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

So we need to start lobbyinig politicians, that is the only way we will get anything done. I have the email addresses of all the relevant TD's and councilors for our area. We are now in the Castleknock constituency so Leo Varadkar is our FG representative. I was invloved recently in the push to get planning permision for the prefabs in the new school and got a lot of responses from some very helpful people who are eager to help.

We could start with an email campaign, then perhaps gather signatures around the area. So there are obviously a number of thigs we'd like to improve:

1) Modernise the tow path along the canal from RCP to Broombridge
    2) Increase Gardai numbers at Carba station
    3) Improve the river road
    4) Put in the train station at Pelletstown (personally I think this will create more problems than it sovles. Planning permission was granted. The residents rejected the Luas continuing up to there as far as I know.)

That would be my list of priorities however whilst there might be disagreement on 2, 3 and 4 I think we all want to tow path resolved as a priority?, it's the most realistic to get anything done about.

I can put a letter together over the next week or two, I'll post it up here for you all to improve upon and then we can all email the necessary parties. I will add it up to the Rathbourne facebook page also.

Keithchap wrote: »
    So we need to start lobbyinig politicians, that is the only way we will get anything done. I have the email addresses of all the relevant TD's and councilors for our area. We are now in the Castleknock constituency so Leo Varadkar is our FG representative. I was invloved recently in the push to get planning permision for the prefabs in the new school and got a lot of responses from some very helpful people who are eager to help.

We could start with an email campaign, then perhaps gather signatures around the area. So there are obviously a number of thigs we'd like to improve:

1) Modernise the tow path along the canal from RCP to Broombridge
    2) Increase Gardai numbers at Carba station
    3) Improve the river road
    4) Put in the train station at Pelletstown (personally I think this will create more problems than it sovles. Planning permission was granted. The residents rejected the Luas continuing up to there as far as I know.)

That would be my list of priorities however whilst there might be disagreement on 2, 3 and 4 I think we all want to tow path resolved as a priority?, it's the most realistic to get anything done about.

I can put a letter together over the next week or two, I'll post it up here for you all to improve upon and then we can all email the necessary parties. I will add it up to the Rathbourne facebook page also.

Good idea. There will be more power in numbers.
    It might be worth more residents contacting DCC also.

The Luas was a major deciding factor for us purchasing this house and if I can't use it for commuting to work then it will cause awful hassle for me getting to work. It's quite daunting the thoughts of feeling unsafe.

I was concerned about the noise of the canal gate outside where my house will be built. It took a lot of phone calls to Waterways Ireland but they did solve the issue and the gate no longer squeaks every time it's moved.

I would expect it's in the Luas best interest to have a stream of commuters using the service so I would hope the works to the canal side will be prioritized in light of that.

I might mail them to find out if they have any thoughts on the subject.

The industrial estate owners should be brought on board, the relative success of the farmers market show there is demand for more retail and services in the area if they can boost footfall.

Theres some great businesses in those business parks that I discovered by accident.

That's a great idea re contacting Luas. Surely this was discussed by them at planning stages. They might have more of an insight into plans.

Where is the farmers market based?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

That's a great idea re contacting Luas. Surely this was discussed by them at planning stages. They might have more of an insight into plans.

Where is the farmers market based?

Farmers Market is our side of the Lidl and Woodies in the Industrial park
    It is open every Sat early till about 3pm

That said its not great

• Registered Users Posts: 5 noisepopper

There is really no need for a train station at Pellestown.

1. Ashtown and Broombridge stations are pretty close together.

2. The train is already packed in the morning by the time if gets to Ashtown. Unless there is more trains put on, then another station in between is even more pointless.

3. If anything, a footbridge from Ashington to RCP would suffice as a soluction and be cheaper. It means a 10 min walk to either Ashtown or Broombridge and opens up access to the Luas to Ashington residents.

As an aside, there is a lot of anti-social behavior around RCP. It is undeniable and can be very intimidating. Just look at the Rathbourne Group on Facebook to see the amount of posts about it. The proposed Pelletstown station will not be manned and will inevitably attract vandalism and more anti-social behavior.

Objections from the Ashington side primarily concern traffic. It is already busy enough in the morning.

There is really no need for a train station at Pellestown.

1. Ashtown and Broombridge stations are pretty close together.

2. The train is already packed in the morning by the time if gets to Ashtown. Unless there is more trains put on, then another station in between is even more pointless.

3. If anything, a footbridge from Ashington to RCP would suffice as a soluction and be cheaper. It means a 10 min walk to either Ashtown or Broombridge and opens up access to the Luas to Ashington residents.

As an aside, there is a lot of anti-social behavior around RCP. It is undeniable and can be very intimidating. Just look at the Rathbourne Group on Facebook to see the amount of posts about it. The proposed Pelletstown station will not be manned and will inevitably attract vandalism and more anti-social behavior.

Objections from the Ashington side primarily concern traffic. It is already busy enough in the morning.

Would have to say I heavily disagree with the sentiments regarding the train station. The houses were sold on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 noisepopper

Would have to say I heavily disagree with the sentiments regarding the train station. The houses were sold on the back of it.

Well, planning permission aside, funding has never been in place for it and still isn't as far as we know. If the station was advertised as a sale factor, it was and still is remarkably premature.

Trains literally trundle through Connolly in the morning as is. Another station needs increased line capacity, of that there is no doubt.

It takes like 10 mins to walk to Ashtown station from RCP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There really isn't a lot of anti-social behaviour in the area. In three years living here I've never once felt intimidated and that includes a year on maternity leave walking the area for an hour every day.

The area has 6000+ people. It has the same population as somewhere like Ballinasloe or Fermoy. There will obviously be the odd broken window, bike theft etc. but to characterise that as lots of anti social behaviour is nonsensical. Reading Facebook groups focused on reporting crime will give you a very skewed perspective. RCP/Ashtown/Rathborne is a normal quiet Dublin suburb with young professionals and families.

The Broombridge area is a kilometre from Royal canal park, currently under utilised with development plans in place. Even with its horrific reputation the actual level of trouble there is quite low. Maybe once a year there's an incident like this.

Advertisement