Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

nordstrom wrote: »
    I just wanted to quote this post again because last week someone was asking about how to use the TV cables already installed in the walls. I can provide more details on request.

Nordstrom can you PM me the number and name of the person who did the work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

Some people have asked for pictures of finished modified island and of the pocket doors.

We are very happy that we changed the island, you can get full sized stools under it and you can walk all the way around the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mooninite1

Nhol78 wrote: »
    Nordstrom can you PM me the number and name of the person who did the work for you.

I'd appreciate that info too if you dont mind sending it on

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gilga

Id appreciate those details too.
    Thanks Nordstrom

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi

Anyone get a ceiling fan or some time of air conditioner for any of the rooms?
    We are finding the 2nd floor gets really hot if the sun is blasting in all day (having blinds down doesn't help). Is there such a thing as a portable air conditioner that might do the trick? I know we don't get that much hot weather, but just thought Id check

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I'd be interested also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

We also had to remove the skirting boards from upstairs, our fault as we didn't request that they be tacked on. The flooring company had no problem taking them off though and they didn't damage any of the walls or skirting boards. I would question how they are removing them if they are damaging the walls.

He is removing them the normal way, cutting along the top and then gently with a pry bar and latt to prevent wall damage. One of the skirting boards had a full coat of glue on the back, you can see it, like it was painted on with a brush. Most of the longer ones have a lot less so they come away easier.

gilga wrote: »
    Id appreciate those details too.
    Thanks Nordstrom

I'd like these details too please. Much better and tidier to use the internal wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stenomattia

Hi all, would anyone please have any info on wooden blinds in terms of products, fitters and ballpark costs that could pm me? We're looking at having them installed throughout in a Heron. Thanks!

Hi all, would anyone please have any info on wooden blinds in terms of products, fitters and ballpark costs that could pm me? We're looking at having them installed throughout in a Heron. Thanks!

our fitters were fantastic, Pm'ed you details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 PhoenixRoyal

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

hi, could you pls PM your fitters' details? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

I think I got back to everybody who asked about the TV installer contact details, if I missed you out please let me know.

I thought I'd just add a bit about the different types of installation you might consider. I'm not encouraging anyone to install a dish, especially if you don't have a discreet place to put it, it's up to yourselves.

The houses are really wired for cable tv (virginmedia), there's a box outside the front door which is cabled into the utility room, and you would distribute the signal from there using the cables already installed. But virginmedia isn't an option, and I wouldn't believe in any promises the estate agent or builder made regarding this.

Obviously you can get your tv from vodafone, eir or sky through the internet connection, which will involve monthly fees. This post is more for people who want saorview and freesat.

If you just want basic Irish channels then one of those rabbit ears saorview aerials which sits beside your tv worked fine for me until I got my installation done.

If you want saorview on more than one tv then obviously you can use rabbit ears beside each tv, or you could install a saorview aerial on the wall outside, run a cable to the utility room, use a splitter to distribute it to however many rooms you want.

If you want saorview + freesat, then you'll need a dish and the saorview aerial. There's a whole load of options here you can choose depending on what you want and how much you want to spend. If you just want one tv then a dish with a single lnb will do. You could get the installer to run the cable from the dish and from the aerial directly to the tv point. I don't really see the point in this however, it's probably just as easy to run the cables to the utility room instead, and if you're doing this you might as well get a twin lnb or quad lnb to serve 2 or 4 rooms, there's not that much difference in price of lnb's.

So assuming you get a quad lnb, now you're running 4 cables from the dish and one from the aerial to the utility room. The houses are wired with 2 cables going from the utility room to each tv point. So you could use one cable to send the satellite signal, and another for the saorview signal (after running it through a splitter). Now you have 4 rooms with freesat and saorview. It's a simple set up, but it doesn't give you the ability to record any freesat channel. You need 2 satellite signals to be able to watch one channel while recording another. What you can do, strangely enough, is send two satellite signals plus one saorview signal down the 2 cables, with a special connector thing which I forget the name of but your installer will know about. But now you've used up two of the four satellite signals, so you can only get freesat in 3 rooms

So basically if you get a dish with a quad lnb and a saorview aerial, your options are
    - 4 rooms with freesat and saorview, no ability to record satellite
    - 3 rooms with freesat and saorview, you can record satellite tv in one room
    - 2 rooms with freesat and saorivew, you can record in both rooms.

Bear in mind that your tv needs to have the ability to tune a satellite signal, otherwise you'll need to get a set top box. The kind of set top box you need to view saorview and freesat is called a combo box. If you want to be able to record satellite then the box needs 2 sat tuners (plus one terrestrial).

There's another set-up you can do (which I did) involving a quattro lnb, I wrote about it in an earlier post. It basically gives the ability to distribute to as many rooms as you want and be able to record in every room, but it's probably more than most people need.

I'm not an expert by the way, I started out knowing nothing, so I'm sympathetic to anyone who finds it all very confusing. Usual disclaimers apply!

PS: the lnb is that thing that sticks out from the dish
    PPS: if it's a sky installation you're looking at then I not sure how much of the above applies, best to ask an expert

• Registered Users Posts: 29 googlewhack

nordstrom wrote: »
    I think I got back to everybody who asked about the TV installer contact details, if I missed you out please let me know.

I thought I'd just add a bit about the different types of installation you might consider. I'm not encouraging anyone to install a dish, especially if you don't have a discreet place to put it, it's up to yourselves.

The houses are really wired for cable tv (virginmedia), there's a box outside the front door which is cabled into the utility room, and you would distribute the signal from there using the cables already installed. But virginmedia isn't an option, and I wouldn't believe in any promises the estate agent or builder made regarding this.

Obviously you can get your tv from vodafone, eir or sky through the internet connection, which will involve monthly fees. This post is more for people who want saorview and freesat.

If you just want basic Irish channels then one of those rabbit ears saorview aerials which sits beside your tv worked fine for me until I got my installation done.

If you want saorview on more than one tv then obviously you can use rabbit ears beside each tv, or you could install a saorview aerial on the wall outside, run a cable to the utility room, use a splitter to distribute it to however many rooms you want.

If you want saorview + freesat, then you'll need a dish and the saorview aerial. There's a whole load of options here you can choose depending on what you want and how much you want to spend. If you just want one tv then a dish with a single lnb will do. You could get the installer to run the cable from the dish and from the aerial directly to the tv point. I don't really see the point in this however, it's probably just as easy to run the cables to the utility room instead, and if you're doing this you might as well get a twin lnb or quad lnb to serve 2 or 4 rooms, there's not that much difference in price of lnb's.

So assuming you get a quad lnb, now you're running 4 cables from the dish and one from the aerial to the utility room. The houses are wired with 2 cables going from the utility room to each tv point. So you could use one cable to send the satellite signal, and another for the saorview signal (after running it through a splitter). Now you have 4 rooms with freesat and saorview. It's a simple set up, but it doesn't give you the ability to record any freesat channel. You need 2 satellite signals to be able to watch one channel while recording another. What you can do, strangely enough, is send two satellite signals plus one saorview signal down the 2 cables, with a special connector thing which I forget the name of but your installer will know about. But now you've used up two of the four satellite signals, so you can only get freesat in 3 rooms

So basically if you get a dish with a quad lnb and a saorview aerial, your options are
    - 4 rooms with freesat and saorview, no ability to record satellite
    - 3 rooms with freesat and saorview, you can record satellite tv in one room
    - 2 rooms with freesat and saorivew, you can record in both rooms.

Bear in mind that your tv needs to have the ability to tune a satellite signal, otherwise you'll need to get a set top box. The kind of set top box you need to view saorview and freesat is called a combo box. If you want to be able to record satellite then the box needs 2 sat tuners (plus one terrestrial).

There's another set-up you can do (which I did) involving a quattro lnb, I wrote about it in an earlier post. It basically gives the ability to distribute to as many rooms as you want and be able to record in every room, but it's probably more than most people need.

I'm not an expert by the way, I started out knowing nothing, so I'm sympathetic to anyone who finds it all very confusing. Usual disclaimers apply!

PS: the lnb is that thing that sticks out from the dish
    PPS: if it's a sky installation you're looking at then I not sure how much of the above applies, best to ask an expert

Can you PM me installer details too please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ant034

Just wondering - if the skirting boards are tacked on downstairs, who should put them on when the flooring is complete. Most flooring places charge to do this but a few have told me that the builders should come in and do this as its included in what you have paid for the house. Anyone have any experience in this?

Ant034 wrote: »
    Just wondering - if the skirting boards are tacked on downstairs, who should put them on when the flooring is complete. Most flooring places charge to do this but a few have told me that the builders should come in and do this as its included in what you have paid for the house. Anyone have any experience in this?

The tradesman putting in the floor should put them back on. He will put beading down if you're not taking off the skirting boards. so as the skirting is coming off, it will be doing the same job as the beading so within his realm of responsibility that its fitted correctly.

We have a very good guy who removes the skirting, paints it up and removes any blemishes caused during removal, reapplies it and caulk's around the edges to leave a nice finish. We didn't have to ask, its just part of what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Our wooden flooring guy did the same - took them off, placed the floor and put the skirting boards back on, nailed them on the wall and put caulking along the boards. He didn't have the exact shade of white to paint over the nail heads, but that's on my list to do once the weather turns bad.

Our tiling guy didn't do that, though. I had to put them back on myself, but found that both reattaching them and caulking the edges is easier than I would have imagined. For the kitchen and utility room, it was a long afternoon job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Beata K

Hi, can I also get details, please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

So I had a look in the attic water tank and theres something growing in there alright.

Gave it a quick clean with a weak bleach solution, but I may pick up a siphon like used for cleaning a fish tank and use it to suck the last water out of the tank another time.

It's probably worth a routine treatment though to be fair any cold water attic tank will have same so it's probably nothing to worry overly about.

So I had a look in the attic water tank and theres something growing in there alright.

Gave it a quick clean with a weak bleach solution, but I may pick up a siphon like used for cleaning a fish tank and use it to suck the last water out of the tank another time.

It's probably worth a routine treatment though to be fair any cold water attic tank will have same so it's probably nothing to worry overly about.

Is it not wrapped in insulation? Did that come off easily to give you the necessary access?

cronos wrote: »
    Is it not wrapped in insulation? Did that come off easily to give you the necessary access?

It's wrapped but wasn't stuck on by anything.
    I could just lift the cover and insulation off.

• Advertisement

It takes much longer to refill than to empty though so if you were to drain it you should plan accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Ditto for me please, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Ant034 wrote: »

The builders carpenter has already cut & fitted the skirting boards (tacked on) so they have fulfilled their part of the bargain. You have opted for timber flooring which looks better with skirtings on top of the floor rather than beading the edges to the skirting. If you were fitting carpet, the carpet would be fitted to the edge of the fitted skirting board not under it.
    IMO builders should ask the client if they want them tacked or fitted to the walls it makes life much easier. As for builders who refuse to even consider tacking them (even when previously agreed to ) don't get me started!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I understand that all the doors need to be cut after moving in to allow for the floors. Is this correct? What did most people do regarding this?

slayerking wrote: »
    I understand that all the doors need to be cut after moving in to allow for the floors. Is this correct? What did most people do regarding this?

Yes it's correct. You can usually get the carpenter to do this as part of laying the floor. It's also possible to get it done independently with the company who installed the doors in the first place at a cost of 20 euro per door. A pain I know but not much you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

cronos wrote: »

I've no insulating on the water tanks. Could you post a picture of what you're is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

I've just been given a date of July 13th for the openEir part of the above.. great..

I've been given August 28th, from vodafone, after last June 15th update :mad:
    I really hope there was some mistake and they got a wrong date from openeir.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johnny66179

OrdeP wrote: »
    I've been given August 28th, from vodafone, after last June 15th update :mad:
    I really hope there was some mistake and they got a wrong date from openeir.

I also got August 28th as a date from OpenEir via Eir, a couple of weeks ago they said mid July

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nicolleok8

The tradesman putting in the floor should put them back on. He will put beading down if you're not taking off the skirting boards. so as the skirting is coming off, it will be doing the same job as the beading so within his realm of responsibility that its fitted correctly.

We have a very good guy who removes the skirting, paints it up and removes any blemishes caused during removal, reapplies it and caulk's around the edges to leave a nice finish. We didn't have to ask, its just part of what he does.

Could you pm me the guy who done your floors please & thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭maciektok

Bruncvik wrote: »
    I'm running along the canal a lot, and so far I only found one dog that has been aggressive towards me and other people (a young German Sheppard), but he's being kept on a leash. But I've seen a few smaller dogs harassing ducks in the evening, with the owners not caring. I can imagine such a dog savaging a tiny swan. If such dog owners can't keep their dogs under control, no wonder their kids end up stealing bikes.

re young german shepherd :)
    Ah she's just a bit afraid so she's talking to you that's all, she's lovely though :)

Advertisement