Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with Saoirse Ronan's accent?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

In the same vein as "mockney", my proposals for terms which might be used to describe the fake working-class Dub accent, as allegedly adopted by Saoirse:

1. Knacksimile (Knacker - facsimile)
    2. Corpocat (Dublin Corpo - copycat)
    3. Ballyfraudo (Ballyfermo - fraud)
    4. Skangulated (Skanger - simulated)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The begrudgery bandwagon is in full swing. I personally can't find anything whatsoever to criticize her about.
    I have watched five of her films through the years, she was great in them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

She must be holding out for a part on Fair City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Red King wrote: »
    Whenever I hear her being interviewed I just have to switch off. Comes across as terribly false.

I was beginning to think that I was the only person who thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I was beginning to think that I was the only person who thought that.

You are not alone, Hector.

• Advertisement

The begrudgery bandwagon is in full swing. I personally can't find anything whatsoever to criticize her about. I have watched five of her films through the years, she was great in them all.

I personally think that she's a very good actress who comes across as a little false when interviewed. I suppose I'm on that begrudgery bandwagon?

Why does your personal opinion outweigh mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I don't find her false or her accent weird.

But there's probably lots of actors whose personalities I wouldn't really care for but I'm never going to meet them so who cares? If I like their work, that's all that matters to me. Nobody, Saoirse included, is going to appeal to everyone, nor should they have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Given she plays different characters who may have different accents, it's not unreasonable that her accent may change like a bogegr in their first week in trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

She probably hasn't lived in Ireland full time for five or six years and she's still fairly young, makes sense to me that her accent would shift a bit.

It's not shifting. It's a deliberate attempt at dumbing down, for whatever reason. Compared to how she sounded five or six years ago it's a complete transformation. Strange, for such a talented young woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Red King wrote: »
    Whenever I hear her being interviewed I just have to switch off. Comes across as terribly false.

I agree wholeheartedly. She's exceptionally false.

I have no problem with her as an actress but she really is horribly false as a person.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

She's 23 and doing piles of worldwide media, I'd give her a big break for not being 100% natural when doing the interviews.

God knows what I'd have been talking about at that age, let alone if I had to do it in front of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's verging on Skanger alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think it’s just very out of place to hear a real Irish accent on tv these days, and particularly coming from Hollywood interviews. We’re used to American or British accents, or the fake Irish accents on RTE all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

CatFromHue wrote: »
    She's 23 and doing piles of worldwide media, I'd give her a big break for not being 100% natural when doing the interviews.

God knows what I'd have been talking about at that age, let alone if I had to do it in front of the world.

Absolutely.

I'd bloody hate to have to do interviews if I was famous. And on the promotion trail, they have to countless interviews and answer the same questions over and over and over again. I don't blame them if they put a bit of a mask on to get through them all. Considering that, I think most celebs come across pretty well in interviews. I'd probably be a cranky, surly wagon if I was in their shoes.

And give me her accent any day over the strangulated D4 monstrosity that impregnates the Irish media. Saorise just has a pretty normal Dublin accent. It's not skangery. I know lots of people who talk like her. People can be pretty snobbish about that accent though, as this thread shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Her father is playing a character in Fair City at the moment and he has the same accent. Her mother is also from Dublin, so I'm guessing that's where she got her fairly normal Dublin accent from. She seems fine in interviews. A lot of people on here seem a bit mean-spirited and unpleasant, tb perfectly h with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Rumour has it that she stole the accent from poor auld Bang Bang.

But I digress. I remember Saorise telling me about her days working in Jacob's biscuit factory. She was on thrupence ha'penny a day.

I was having a few scoops down in Fitzmaurice's on Benburb Street. Like the Pillar, the Royal and Luke Kelly it's long gone.

But anyway, who shows up only Saoirse. Salt of the Earth Dub that she is.

She was going on and on about Jimmy Keavney, Brush Shields and other mates like Noel King and Bertie.

Stuck for conversation I asked her, "Saoirse, what team do you support".

As she wolfed down her coddle she said it was the Kinahans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Her father is playing a character in Fair City at the moment and he has the same accent. Her mother is also from Dublin, so I'm guessing that's where she got her fairly normal Dublin accent from. She seems fine in interviews. A lot of people on here seem a bit mean-spirited and unpleasant, tb perfectly h with you.

Mother from Cabra
    Father from Crumlin

Can we please close this unpleasant thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

vicwatson wrote: »
    Mother from Cabra
    Father from Crumlin

Can we please close this unpleasant thread now?

Whooy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

What colour is the thread?

Advertisement