Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with Saoirse Ronan's accent?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Fair fucks to her I say!

Such a horrible expression that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bullvine wrote: »
    Its horrendous, sounds like Imelda May's lovechild with one of the lads from Adam and Paul.

Nothing wrong with Imelda's accent

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I think i remember her saying that both of her parents are proper dubs and so despite living in carlow she picked up their strong dublin accents.

anyway, so what, I am very proud of her and her accent and delighted for the accent to be showcased on an international stage, just shows that we dont talk like leprechauns and that we have a rich mixture of accents and vocabulary, a great country altogether! and Saoirse (with her accent) is a great representative for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Why's everyone hating on Saoirse?

Let her off FFS, she's a youngster with the world in her hands.

Fair fucks to her I say!
    You're nobody till somebody hates you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I met her a few months back at a lock in at my buddy's pub. I didn't think there was anything amiss in her accent and she sounded perfectly normal to me. While I was after around 11 pints, she also came across as a pleasant and grounded person who was actually good craic.

There are plenty more annoying accents in Ireland than hers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Isn't great the begrudgers have someone to begrudge now .
    Possibly the same people who were horrified that she was called British the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

she's great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Nothing worse than a limerick west brit accent, thats something to whinge about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There's a lot of begrudging of begrudging on here.

I wish her the best and it is great to see someone who seems so relatively down to earth doing so well.

BUT...

Her accent is grating. It's hard to listen to. I don't think I'm begrudging her any success by saying that: it's not a reflection on her career; she's obviously very talented. I just really honestly find her voice hard to take and the fact that she's everywhere at the moment makes it hard to get away from. She seems to lay on the DUB real thick. It just seems improbable to me that she would sound like that. She's probably spent as much time in the States over the last few years as she has in Ireland, so, if anything, her straight from the Liberties sound should be less pronounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ninap wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia she was born in New York, 'raised briefly' in Carlow, and then moved to Howth. But she's ended up with a particularly unpleasant and grating Dublin accent. Where did she get it? She sounds like a mixture of Joan Burton's monotone drone, and Mary Lou McDonald's fake working-class Dub accent............

say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/32eaxCQ.jpg

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Such a horrible expression that.

...you'd wish unfair fucks on the poor woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Is it any wonder she's thought of as British when she speaks like a Dub? Same thing.

Is it any wonder she's thought of as British when she speaks like a Dub? Same thing.

You ever gone fishing with hand grenades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Nodin wrote: »
    ...you'd wish unfair fucks on the poor woman?

No, whatever takes her fancy - either gentle & loving or vigorous & sweaty.

I'd also say fair play to the girl on her success.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FTA69 wrote: »
    There are plenty more annoying accents in Ireland than hers.
    That annoyingly fake "American with severe sinusitis" one for a start, or the Culshie with elocution lessons(again with added Yank twang) beloved of TV3 female continuity types, current and former.

As for her "Dub" accent, it's a bit of an odd one, mainly because it's an older type of one you don't tend to hear so much these days(it wasn't just inner city either, it was the Dublin accent). You certainly hear it very little on the national airwaves which outside of Joe Duffy are generally the above Culshie/Murcan twang. If you listen to Luke Kelly in old interviews it's within that sorta range, with more of the modern softening to it. The explanation that she picked it up from her parents makes some sense in that case.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ohmplate

She sounds like her Da. I also find it comical that I can safely assume large amounts of people here probably entered 2nd level and third level education sounding completely different to how they sound now. A bit of college does wonders for an American accent in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It's fairly dull and limiting when any kind topic about an Irish celebrity is immediately seen as begrudging or hate-filled.

It's just a thread asking about the accents she's using in interviews :pac:

Why is this a question? In films she's acting with different accents.

In interviews she's speaking with her normal voice. If you look up interviews from her time in Atonement you'll hear that her accent is the exact same as now. Nothing false about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

Ordinary actress who is only famous because she is Irish.

.....that makes no sense whatsoever.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The farce in this one is strong :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭AlanG

I was only discussing this with someone this morning. It sounds lime she ks putting on a raw Dublin accent. Why? .

It worked for Colin Farrell the private school kid from Castleknock with the inner city accent so I guess the raw Dublin accent is a plus in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

She's been nominated for an Oscar. Twice.
    She's clearly famous for reasons other than her Irishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

She's been nominated for an Oscar. Twice.
    She's clearly famous for reasons other than her Irishness.
    Nah. Clear bias.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

She's a damn fine actress. She's also had a fairly varied upbringing, geographically speaking. Her accent is her accent.

I don't find it particularly working class Dublin at all. I grew up is West Tallaght, she sounds quite posh by that standard. She has a soft Dublin accent, not very far from my own to be honest.

I have no idea why I have the accent I do either, maybe I'm faking it to get a part as a Wexford girl.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

She's a very talented young girl and she deserves all the praise she's getting. Her performance in Brooklyn was fantastic IMO. Seems like a lovely person too. Who cares about her accent? It's how she talks. Leave her be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There was me thinking she was famous because she was in a number of prominent film productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I listened to her speak for the first time a few minutes ago and I would imagine as much, if not more, time has gone into perfecting that accent as it has for accents required for some of the roles she has played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The Dublin is from the parents who have distinct 'proper' Dublin accents. The rest of her often changing accents are due to current characters and a mix of New York, Dublin, Carla, Howth and a London/England one reflecting her travels/residences in the last few years. She's aware but not bothered by it, afterall iirc she does get some voice coaching now and then which would be fairly standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I doubt she reads the posts on boards.ie. if so she can cry into her millions of euros at some of the comments here.

Fair play to her, successful actor, worldwide recognition, appearing on tv shows, interviews, and hanging out with the rich and famous.

Keep it up Saoirse ;) your doing a great job :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I like her. But why does she pronounce her name like that? She pronounces it "sursha". I have never in my life heard anyone else pronounce it that way. It's "seersha". Maybe it's a Dublin thing?

Advertisement