Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies Only Learn To Lift Workshop - 3.0

Options
  • 15-01-2016 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭

Greetings fitness folks... some of you may remember all the way back to 2010 when G’em and JayRoc took a bunch of ladies and equipped them with the knowledge and skills they needed to pick up a barbell (many for the first time) at Raw Gym where I worked as staff at the time. All the feedback was great, lots of fun had by all and paved the way for many to change their approach to fitness in general. The original thread is here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055936775

Fast forward three years or so to 2013 Gymfreak (who attended the first intro session in 2010) and Hanley organised the second incarnation of the ladies lifting workshop in RevFit with great success for all involved. That thread is here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063080

So – seeing that this seems to happen in three year waves (2010,2103 and now 2016) it seems we are due to have another one. In keeping with the theme of bringing things full circle this one will be held in Raw Gym (the new shiny one in Sandyford were there is more space & equipment) by yours truly :). The mods have kindly allowed me to open this thread up to get it organised so I just wanted to gauge interest before locking down dates/times etc.

Here’s what the tentative plan is (just like before)....

- Quick talk about how and why lifting weights is great, how it won’t make you bulky etc.
    - How to warm up correctly
    - How to squat, deadlift and do other awesome things with a barbell
    - How to fit these movements into your gym schedule

Then we’ll spend about an hour or so talking about nutrition in general, how you can structure your own, how it can and should support your goals etc. and a whole pile of other really cool stuff that I’m going to present with my girlfriend who is a competitive pole dancer, powerlifter and nutritionist herself. So, it’s two for the price of one, the price being free, so win/win. No sales pitch, no BS, just banter & barbells.

Looking at the perhaps second weekend in February (13th/14th) for this – Spaces are going to be kept limited to ensure everyone gets coaching (8-10).Depending on interest might run two workshops, one on each day or something like that but we’ll see how things pan out between now and then.

So – if you want in just comment on this thread what day you prefer and I’ll confirm your place. ***First come first serve*** and remember that you don't have to have any previous lifting experience at all, just dress to train accordingly.

A word of caution though: As I mentioned in the second thread above please treat this as a priority if you do decide to attend. I really want to keep this open to as many as possible so no deposits etc. Last minute cancellations because people went out the night before, forgot, or weren’t bothered getting out of bed on the day are really not cool for us as professionals and more importantly for someone else like you who couldn’t attend because the list was full.

So – if you sign up then imagine you paid the going rate for seminar of this description (a few hundred euro) and be ready to have some fun, learn some stuff and meet some cool people on the day!

Kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Yes please! 14th better for me but I can make time to do either day. Thanks!

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

I'm very interested! Working the 13th so I'd vote for the 14th if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

COH, I've been hoping for one of these to crop up as I'd love to bring my daughter to it (almost 16)... if that is ok, I'd vote for the 14th as I'm in work on the 13th.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Hi Kieran
    Great idea, best of luck.
    Would you ever do something similar for men?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hanley & gymfreak's last one was what got me hooked on lifting, so I can recommend this as a general thing to anyone who's curious, you never know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I went to the very first one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Delighted to see that the idea has been resurrected!! Well done COH!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Penny Pitstop

I'm very interested. My preference would be for the 13th (might be trickier to rearrange kids' football matches on the 14th)

Can I just add you are very good to be doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'd actually love to. I can only do the Saturday, the 13th. Can I just ask what fitness level is needed? I used to do a weights program (although probably not a very good one) last year but it got left behind because of personal stuff. Hoping to get back into a gym routine.

Edit: just said it to my gf and she was wondering if she could come too? If the times suits, and if that's ok for a non-boardsie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

Dolbert wrote: »
    Yes please! 14th better for me but I can make time to do either day. Thanks!
    Great – Welcome aboard
    NicsM wrote: »
    I'm very interested! Working the 13th so I'd vote for the 14th if possible.
    Excellent
    WHIP IT! wrote: »
    COH, I've been hoping for one of these to crop up as I'd love to bring my daughter to it (almost 16)... if that is ok, I'd vote for the 14th as I'm in work on the 13th.
    Thanks a lot.
    She’s very welcome
    shutup wrote: »
    Hi Kieran
    Great idea, best of luck.
    Would you ever do something similar for men?
    Yes – absolutely. If there is interest in it I’ll run one at some stage no problem.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Hanley & gymfreak's last one was what got me hooked on lifting, so I can recommend this as a general thing to anyone who's curious, you never know :)
    Another success story :)
    I remember you well!
    gymfreak wrote: »
    Delighted to see that the idea has been resurrected!! Well done COH!
    The boards community has been quite good to me the past few years - only right to give a bit back
    I'm very interested. My preference would be for the 13th (might be trickier to rearrange kids' football matches on the 14th)
    Can I just add you are very good to be doing this
    Cool – consensus looks to be leaning towards 14th at present but won’t make anything definite until this thread has gathered traction over the next week or so and if there’s interest will try do both days
    I'd actually love to. I can only do the Saturday, the 13th. Can I just ask what fitness level is needed? I used to do a weights program (although probably not a very good one) last year but it got left behind because of personal stuff. Hoping to get back into a gym routine.
    Edit: just said it to my gf and she was wondering if she could come too? If the times suits, and if that's ok for a non-boardsie. :)
    Another vote for the Saturday. And yeah no problem she’s more than welcome. No level of fitness required, all technical work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Ahh can't believe it's been 6 years since the first one!

Still liftin' still lovin it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I was at the second one in Revfit and it was brilliant! Highly recommend to anyone who is tempted. I'm 9 months pregnant at the moment so haven't lifted properly in a while..I miss it!

Enjoy everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Yeah, it was a good day! I met my wife that day as it happened

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'd love to do this but I do have a bit of experience in lifting. Don't want to take a place if someone else is desperate for it! The 14th suits me best

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Kieran, I'd like to send my wife along. The 13th suits best.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CiaraM81

Hi,

I would be interested in doing this. Either day of that weekend would suit me.
    Thanks,

C

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

I'd be really interested! 14th suits me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KMackers

the 13th and 14th are both good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

If I could add a request... would it be possible to have this in the afternoon, ie, 1.30 or later?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I used to do a bit of general gym work. Haven't in years since running and tri took over so would love to do this. I'm racing on the 13th so 14th suits me better.
    Keep meaning to pop round to the gym to have a look too. Excuse to get in there.

• Advertisement

Daisies wrote: »
    I'd love to do this but I do have a bit of experience in lifting. Don't want to take a place if someone else is desperate for it! The 14th suits me best

Lets call you provisional and see how numbers pan out then?
    Brian? wrote: »
    Kieran, I'd like to send my wife along. The 13th suits best.

Mrs Brian is on the list
    CiaraM81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I would be interested in doing this. Either day of that weekend would suit me.
    Thanks,

C

Great stuff - you're in

keaves wrote: »
    I'd be really interested! 14th suits me!

Done
    KMackers wrote: »
    the 13th and 14th are both good for me.

Excellent - will figure out who's doing what day once have definite numbers

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    If I could add a request... would it be possible to have this in the afternoon, ie, 1.30 or later?

No set time yet but had envisaged getting started in mid morning when the place is a bit quieter - I'll have to talk to the guys that own the gym before making anything definite

I used to do a bit of general gym work. Haven't in years since running and tri took over so would love to do this. I'm racing on the 13th so 14th suits me better.
    Keep meaning to pop round to the gym to have a look too. Excuse to get in there.

Cool - you're in so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I would love to go. It is a great idea. Have been too shy to ask at the gym how to use the weights. I work Saturdays till 1:30pm but can do the afternoon or any time Sunday. If there is room for me that would be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

If there are places left , my gf is keen to go ( she has no boards log in)

either day suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I'll like to try. I've never lifted but friends swear by it. A friend recommended this thread as she's gone before and swears by lifting.

Either 13 or 14 suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 theNYCgirl

How and when can I sign up? Sunday the 14th is best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Runner2012

I am interested if this goes ahead
    on 14th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bronatron

I'd love to come along, either day that weekend suits!

homeOwner wrote: »
    I would love to go. It is a great idea. Have been too shy to ask at the gym how to use the weights. I work Saturdays till 1:30pm but can do the afternoon or any time Sunday. If there is room for me that would be brilliant!
    Ok – Ill put you down for Sunday just in case we have to kick off early
    If there are places left , my gf is keen to go ( she has no boards log in)

either day suits.

Cool - she's in.

Don’t I know you from the old teamtestforum??
    I'll like to try. I've never lifted but friends swear by it. A friend recommended this thread as she's gone before and swears by lifting.
    Either 13 or 14 suits me.
    Welcome to the first day of the rest of your training life so!
    theNYCgirl wrote: »
    How and when can I sign up? Sunday the 14th is best for me.
    You just did!
    Runner2012 wrote: »
    I am interested if this goes ahead
    on 14th!
    Done
    Bronatron wrote: »
    I'd love to come along, either day that weekend suits!
    I’ll put you down for the 13th

LOVING the fact that it seems people are joining boards just to register for this :)

Now - Spaces are filling up pretty fast here, I think the best thing to do is to keep it at 10 per day so that everyone gets a chance to kick ass. I'm putting together a provisional list here that means everyone can go to one of the days and I'll post that up tomorrow when I get a chance.

Once we have reached capacity anyone else that registers interest will be placed on a cancellation list, and in the event of no cancellations (fingers crossed) then you will be placed on the list for the next weekend of this stuff if there's sufficient interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Any idea of price? Even rough estimate. Sunday would work best for me.

• Advertisement

eire1 wrote: »
    Any idea of price? Even rough estimate. Sunday would work best for me.

Free

Advertisement