Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the worst Irish Defeat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

awec wrote: »
    The NZ game is the most hurt I've ever been after a game. I have rarely seen or felt such depression leaving a stadium in my life.

There have been worse defeats, but that much rank among the most painful.

agreed....tbh it is interesting that the poll seems to focus on games where we thought we would win but failed. Because we have never been in a semi final or beaten the ABs it is natural to seem them as our most disappointing games

To these 3 I would add France in croker and Vincent f&*(()ng Clerc

but I don't think they are our "worst defeats" we did lose to teams at the same or higher level after all

Our worst defeats for me are the likes of losing to Italy in the 6N and our awful performances in RWC 2007 where even the games we managed to win were awful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Argentina, Lens. I know Gatland eventually got that line out to work with Wales, but at the time it seemed like a total lack of ideas.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

for a feeling of a crushing defeat, the game that never happened is most fresh in my mind.... although i can still remember the deflation after Lynagh scored that try in 91.

however both of those games has us going into them as underdogs, sever underdogs in 1991.... so it was more a case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I think the "worst" defeat was probably wales 11 followed by Argentina this year.
    Argentina would have been the worst only for the mitigating factor of the injuries. Any game that you go into as favorites by get beaten by double scores is a heavy crushing defeat.

wales 11 was worse though...we went in in good fettle. We had arguably our best ever squad at the time... and we were completely outplayed. We were never in that game at all.... and i think the fact it still severely hurts the players to this day... BOD was scathing about the gameplan at the OTB roadshow last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

All of those are unpleasant memories. However, I would add in 2 draws. 1972 v. New Zealand and march '85 a 15 - 15 draw v. France which cost us a Grand slam.
    In '72 Tom Kiernan missed a relatively easy conversion to win it but he wasn't a great goal kicker by today's standards.

In the France game, I have this memory. Ireland were awarded a penalty in front of and about 15 yards out from the French posts with the score at 15 - 15. Instead of taking the ball back a bit, Deans took the kick from the spot and the French charged it down - something of course you are not allowed to do. The ref ignored it - shamefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

Oh, what a cheery thread. Any defeat to England (and latterly Wales) has always been hard to take. I was so furious about the Martin Johnson incident at Lansdowne in 2003 so that defeat added insult to injury! Vincent Clerc’s last minute try in 2007 was brutal too.

• Advertisement

lunarhog wrote: »
    Oh, what a cheery thread. Any defeat to England (and latterly Wales) has always been hard to take. I was so furious about the Martin Johnson incident at Lansdowne in 2003 so that defeat added insult to injury! Vincent Clerc’s last minute try in 2007 was brutal too.

Of course we are quite rightly forbidden from bad mouthing players on Boards. However when I take my Labrador, Buddy, for his walks and being a conscientious dog owner, I frequently have to lift large steaming piles of Martin Johnstons from the Promenade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭techdiver

Having been at 2 of the 3 games mentioned (NZ in 2013 and Argentina in WC), I can say with certainty that the Argentina one was by far the worst.

At least our performance against NZ was excellent and we were beaten at the death.

Argentina on the other hand was another text book WC capitulation by Ireland (regardless of injuries).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

bilston wrote: »
    I don't know whether you would call it the worst defeat but I remember Ireland losing heavily at home to Western Samoa in the mid 90s on a Tuesday or Wednesday night at a half empty Lansdowne Road and thinking this was just about as bad as it gets.

I was at that game and had happily erased it from my memory till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Wales in RWC QF just for sheer pain. ABs in 2013 ranks close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

jacothelad wrote: »
    All of those are unpleasant memories. However, I would add in 2 draws. 1972 v. New Zealand and march '85 a 15 - 15 draw v. France which cost us a Grand slam.
    In '72 Tom Kiernan missed a relatively easy conversion to win it but he wasn't a great goal kicker by today's standards.

Sorry to be anoraky about this but I was there.

It was actually 1973, albeit January, so the same season. Tom Grace equalised with a late try in the corner at the Havelock square end. So it wasn't an easy conversion; it was from the touchline. And the kicker was another Corkman, not Kiernan. A fat little out half called Barry McGann. I was behind the goal and he missed it by a lick of paint.

In my 12-year-old's memory anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

jacothelad wrote: »

In the France game, I have this memory. Ireland were awarded a penalty in front of and about 15 yards out from the French posts with the score at 15 - 15. Instead of taking the ball back a bit, Deans took the kick from the spot and the French charged it down - something of course you are not allowed to do. The ref ignored it - shamefully.

Just to clarify Jaco the 1885 game vs France or are we talking 20th century? :p

Sorry to be anoraky about this but I was there.

It was actually 1973, albeit January, so the same season. Tom Grace equalised with a late try in the corner at the Havelock square end. So it wasn't an easy conversion; it was from the touchline. And the kicker was another Corkman, not Kiernan. A fat little out half called Barry McGann. I was behind the goal and he missed it by a lick of paint.

In my 12-year-old's memory anyway. :)
    Yes. 20th January. I knew it was that season, I just assumed it was the Autumn.

*T.J. KIERNAN T.O. GRACE 1T M.K. FLYNN C.M.H. GIBSON A.W. MCMASTER B.J. MCGANN 2PG J.J. MOLONEY R.J. MCLOUGHLIN K.W. KENNEDY J.F. LYNCH W.J. MCBRIDE +K.M.A. MAYS J.C. DAVIDSON T.A.P. MOORE J.F. SLATTERY LANSDOWNE ROAD DRAWN 10-10 IRE. 2PG, 1T NZ 1G, 1T 20 JANUARY 1973

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Just to clarify Jaco the 1885 game vs France or are we talking 20th century? :p
    1885 of course.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's like Methuselah sticking up his hand and saying 'actually, Mr. Magee...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Bridge93 wrote: »
    But Namibia .....dark days in 07 too particularly as coming off a decent 6N
    Gosh you've had it good. Being 'troubled' by Namibia.
    Where were you in the Dark Ages of 1991? We lost two test matches in a row to them. God, how we dreamed of drawing a game against Namibia back then.

However,the NZ game for sure for me.
    A man has dreams of walking with giants,
    to carve his name in the edifice of time.
    Before the mortar of his zeal has a chance to congeal,
    the cup is dashed from his lips,
    the flame is snuffed aborning,
    he's brought to rack and ruin in his prime.

Greatest ever feeling of so near yet so far. Still havent fully gotten over it. The human facility for blanking out the pain of severe trauma is indeed impressive. I know it happened. But I compartmentalise it in a safe place, and am now more or less getting on with my life.

The shock of The Debacle of Lens is probably lost on many too young to view it as we did at the time. Yes, it was a fine Argentine team, with some fine players. But it would be like loosing to Canada today to not get out of our group. It was a very chastening experience against a country we didnt regard as being in our aristocratic rugby sphere. Yes, I know. They have made the WC semis twice to our none. But in the context of the time, an earthquake to our rugby world.

Aus in 1991, somehow not so bad. Gutting in a way, but tempered by a feeling that it would have been a steal. You just had to love that Aussie team so much; Eales, Little, Horan, Kearns, and, the man you thank the heavens for having seen and making life worthwhile, Campese.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Wales 2011. I fully expected us to win but we never got going. I won't forget BOD crying in the interview after for quite a while.

NZ 2013, as well as France 2007, were devastating in a short sharp shock kind of a way but the disappointment is tempered by the team playing well.

Argentina this year was obviously disappointing but my expectations were lower given the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's like Methuselah sticking up his hand and saying 'actually, Mr. Magee...'

Methuselah's my younger brother. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Worst defeats to take from my viewpoint: Wales 2011 World Cup, New Zealand 2013, France 2007 6 nations, Australia WC 2003. A few half missed opportunities against New Zealand over the last 15 years. Argentina 2015 was disappointing but it would only have been a huge let down if Scotland had held on against Australia.

In terms of complete annihilation there have been a few: New Zealand away on a few occasions most notably the 60-0 match, New Zealand in 2005 minus a number of regulars leading 45-0 in Dublin before we got a try back with the last play. France in 2003 on both occasions we ran into them in form and were road kill.

I only remember from the mid 90's on but it was pretty grim. The Western Samoa one sticks out. A couple of chastening defeats to Italy even if they were a good side at that point. Think it was 1999 but a loss of something like 38-10 away to Scotland after a decent start at the time seemed particularly depressing.

To end on a positive note at least Wales 2009 Six Nations isn't on this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Worst defeats to take from my viewpoint: Wales 2011 World Cup, New Zealand 2013, France 2007 6 nations, Australia WC 2003. A few half missed opportunities against New Zealand over the last 15 years. Argentina 2015 was disappointing but it would only have been a huge let down if Scotland had held on against Australia.

In terms of complete annihilation there have been a few: New Zealand away on a few occasions most notably the 60-0 match, New Zealand in 2005 minus a number of regulars leading 45-0 in Dublin before we got a try back with the last play. France in 2003 on both occasions we ran into them in form and were road kill.

I only remember from the mid 90's on but it was pretty grim. The Western Samoa one sticks out. A couple of chastening defeats to Italy even if they were a good side at that point. Think it was 1999 but a loss of something like 38-10 away to Scotland after a decent start at the time seemed particularly depressing.

To end on a positive note at least Wales 2009 Six Nations isn't on this list.

oh lord, imagine Stephen's Jones kick had the legs at the end.. *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

In recent years it's definitely the loss to Argentina in the 2015 World Cup. Wales in 2011 was devastating but with New Zealand the hosts it felt we were playing for second place in the tournament and had no realistic chance of winning anyway, a final was all we could hope for. New Zealand 2013 was heartbreaking but it was the start of Schmidt's time in the job and we had just come off a heavy loss to Australia, and the performance gave serious optimism about what was to come. I actually felt better after that match than before it. The 2015 World Cup was a proper missed opportunity though, we've never brought such good form into a World Cup and playing it in England felt like a home away from home for the team with the amount of Irish at the games. We might never have as good a chance at a World Cup again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

For me, when our little nemesis Vincent Clerc scored a last minute try in the first ever match in Croker in 07. I was in the canal end and that last attack seemed like it was in slow motion progressing down towards me. Just a horrible gut wrenching feeling and a massive opportunity lost for the slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Worst moment in Ireland's history was losing in a FRIENDLY to New Zealand? Sums rugby up really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Worst moment in Ireland's history was losing in a FRIENDLY to New Zealand? Sums rugby up really

oh-really-tell-xfdqq9.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the good Captain has been skipping leg day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Seriously?? Friendly!?! You're showing your lack of knowledge about rugby with that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What's your worst Irish rugby defeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Foot & mouth year, Scotland 2001, and made worse after beating Wales and then England while they were going for grand slam.
    Australia 1991 was more gut wrenching than NZ 2013 because we were in the SF after Hamilton's try

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Cronin The Destroyer

NZ 2013. I literally crept underneath a blanket and stayed there for at least one hour. Shed a tear or two also. The horror. Was traumatised for days. Couldn't watch or read about rugby for weeks.

Argentina in the last WC was easy peasy compared to that for me. Wales gutted me pretty bad in the previous WC tho. Really thought we were going all the way that time.

And I have painful memories of one Vincent Clerc also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

wp_rathead wrote: »
    oh lord, imagine Stephen's Jones kick had the legs at the end.. *shudders*

We still would of won the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We still would of won the title

It would have felt like a horrendous loss though.

Advertisement