Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the worst Irish Defeat.

Options
  • 14-01-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

I had a conversation with a friend of mine after we lost to Argentina at the World Cup. He argued that it was a worse defeat than Wales at RWC 2011. I feel that the Wales game was worse then the Argentina one. At the time we were supposed to beat Wales, we had a full team, it supposed to be our day. We limped into the Argentina game with half a team, the came in strong and rested. All week leading up to it I wasn't confident we would win.

But for me the most disappointing defeat was New Zealand in Nov 2013. Probably the best performance ever from an Irish team, they came so close. I lived in Ballsbridge at the time. The following Monday my housemate said to me"It's almost like there has been a death" and he wasn't wrong.

Am I missing any others? Obviously there were many disappointing nearly days leading up to the grand slam in 2009.

Which was the worst Ireland defeat. 66 votes

Wales RWC 2011
    0% 0 votes
    New Zealand Nov 2013
    28% 19 votes
    Argentina RWC 2015
    71% 47 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

But for me the most disappointing defeat was New Zealand in Nov 2013. Probably the best performance ever from an Irish team, they came so close. I lived in Ballsbridge at the time. The following Monday my housemate said to me"It's almost like there has been a death" and he wasn't wrong.

I have no recollection of this game and that's not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I had a conversation with a friend of mine after we lost to Argentina at the World Cup. He argued that it was a worse defeat than Wales at RWC 2011. I feel that the Wales game was worse then the Argentina one. At the time we were supposed to beat Wales, we had a full team, it supposed to be our day. We limped into the Argentina game with half a team, the came in strong and rested. All week leading up to it I wasn't confident we would win.

Am I missing any others? Obviously there were many disappointing nearly days leading up to the grand slam in 2009.

What are you talking about, that match ended after 78 minutes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Throwing away a grand slam like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

losing to italy in 2013 was by far the worse game I have endured. At least the wales team in 2011 was a good team at the top of their game, much the same as argentina were last year, but 2013 against Italy was just a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Peter Allan, Wales 6N 2011. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't know whether you would call it the worst defeat but I remember Ireland losing heavily at home to Western Samoa in the mid 90s on a Tuesday or Wednesday night at a half empty Lansdowne Road and thinking this was just about as bad as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

1991 World Cup quarter final defeat to Australia was the most gut wrenching defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

bilston wrote: »
    I don't know whether you would call it the worst defeat but I remember Ireland losing heavily at home to Western Samoa in the mid 90s on a Tuesday or Wednesday night at a half empty Lansdowne Road and thinking this was just about as bad as it gets.

Ha! Was just about to post that. I was there that night. Like staring into a rugby abyss, genuinely soul-destroying.

These youngsters are spoiled rotten with their Grand Slam deciders and World Cups.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

New Zealand 60-0 Ireland

We were lucky to get nil too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Argentina was very quite bad. Unlike the other 2 games there was nothing positive to take from the game. Outplayed, outcoached, outfought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Argentina
    But Lens, 1999 RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

CatFromHue wrote: »
    New Zealand 60-0 Ireland

This is the worst defeat that I have seen. It still stings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

I was 9 when Ireland lost in '91. Can still remember being disappointed.

Vincent Clerc denying us the GS in the 79ht minute '07 was pretty tough.

Nothing comes close to losing to the NZ'ers in '13 though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The NZ game is the most hurt I've ever been after a game. I have rarely seen or felt such depression leaving a stadium in my life.

There have been worse defeats, but that much rank among the most painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Where does beating Geogia in 2007 rank on the list of worst Irish defeats?

I still remember BOD screaming at Stringer. It was a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

New Zealand was easily the most painful, place was like a funeral leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

For me it was the one where we got utterly tanked by NZ away under deccie. Just blown off the park in every facet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

NZ in 2013 was the most crushing.

Argentina in Lens the most infuriating for our lack of ideas of how to get over the line in the last 5 minutes.

Wales 2011 hands down. It was crushing.

The only tiny tiny redeeming factor was France knocking England out a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Losing 60-0 to NZ was humiliating, not least because the failure to fire anyone at all in the aftermath made the IRFU look incredibly blase. At least there was some dignity in those heartbreakers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

In terms of hurt I think Wales 2011, France 07 or NZ 2013. I'm too young to remember the 90s ones in any detail.

Humiliation wise it's hard to look beyond that hammering away to NZ. But Namibia and Georgia were dark days in 07 too particularly as coming off a decent 6N I couldn't work out wtf was going so horribly wrong. Argentina in that same comp was shameful too. 07 was a crap year for emotions really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The only international I've managed to go to was the Grand Slam decider against England. Talk about disappointing, absolute massacre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Teferi wrote: »
    This is the worst defeat that I have seen. It still stings.

It does all right.

Plus it was like a car crash in slow motion, you could feel early on it was going to be bad and it just got worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I have no recollection of this game and that's not going to change.

I wish I had your powers of amnesia! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

CatFromHue wrote: »
    New Zealand 60-0 Ireland

Well we had come so close to beating them a week before. A dodgy late penalty against us by Nigel Owens and some amazing good luck for the Kiwis cost us. So psychologically Ireland had shot their bolt the previous week and were never at the races for that one.

Actually the worst most humiliating stuffing I have endured in person was France Ireland in the Five Nations at the old Parc Des Princes in 1988.

Ireland had won their first match at home to Scotland in grand style. Then we had a week off (as happened in the Five Nations) while France went to Murrayfield and got their asses kicked. The following weekend (actually two weekends in those days) we went to Paris with some optimism.

It was the most unrequited slaughter ever. We couldn't get a look in. The actual score wasn't that bad because France missed all their kicks but I think they scored five tries. Only worth four points in those days.

Here's their first. Listen to the roar of anticipation as Lagisquet starts the
    counter attack. I can still remember it as an "Oh ****!" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

1 New Zealand 2013 Dublin- Sick defeat, if sexton had of scored that last penalty :(:(:( but we should of stopped there winning attack. it would of put the munster all blacks victory to bed

2. Argentina 2015 WC- if we played it this weekend it wud be a different outcome, too close after the french game and we only had half a team

3 Wales 2011 WC- we were planning our morning out for the semi final vs france before kick off, bad defeat which set us back.

4 Scotland 2010 6N- last game in croke park in a triple crown decider. got it back level only for a rob kearney error led to parks scoring the winning penalty costing us a triple crown.

5 Wales 2012 6N- had the game won but messed up and wales won with a last min penalty.

France 2007 6N was also a bad defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Ireland's last five nations game in 1975, the IRFU's centenary year. Wales 32 Ireland 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well seeing most of you can only remember defeats in the last 10 years!!

Gordon Hamilton scores a try where he almost runs the length of the pitch and touches down. We're in the lead, more importantly we are in the WC semi final. Only a couple of minutes to go and there is going to be mayhem, chaos, absolute ecstasy.

No....Australia score a great backline move and it's Micheal Lynagh in the corner.

I'm 17 and I go behind our sofa and sob like I'm 3 again.

Gutted doesn't even come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

[Wquote="mfceiling;98421770"]Well seeing most of you can only remember defeats in the last 10 years!!

Gordon Hamilton scores a try where he almost runs the length of the pitch and touches down. We're in the lead, more importantly we are in the WC semi final. Only a couple of minutes to go and there is going to be mayhem, chaos, absolute ecstasy.

No....Australia score a great backline move and it's Micheal Lynagh in the corner.

I'm 17 and I go behind our sofa and sob like I'm 3 again.

Gutted doesn't even come close.[/quote]

Was at that match and no sporting event since has been as atmospheric to me. The buzz when we went ahead to the low of losing sums up sport. I was in the corner where Hamilton scored his try. Still sends a shiver down my spine when I see a replay. This was the closest ever we got to a WC sf. Maybe not worst defeat ever but definitely most painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

NZ, by far.

Easily the most depressed I've felt leaving any sporting event.

Advertisement