Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we headed for another crash?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

gctest50 wrote: »
    IHS estimates the value of DRC Congo's mineral wealth at as much as $24 trillion

I used to think trillion was a made up number. Like gazillion.

mariaalice wrote: »
    As far as I can see there seems to be a vast unseen pendulum in society and every thing swings back and forth to the extremes and then back to the middle from neo liberalism to the social contract with society. It is not anything to do with capitalism as such. Its more to do with culture and human society.

Even if you look at terrorism you see it, in the 1970's it was left wing terrorism such as the red brigade and now you have right wing/fascism terrorism such as isis.
    Too much polarisation." The center cannot hold"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Gavlor wrote: »
    It has been that way for centuries from the Vikings to the Romans to the colonial empires to capitalism.

Society will always be divided between rich and poor.

There'll always be a gap but some countries do a better job of trying to bridge the gap and have better social mobility between the two. Nordic countries would generally be good at it, the US not so much.

The American dream is harder to achieve in, err, America.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    There'll always be a gap but some countries do a better job of trying to bridge the gap and have better social mobility between the two. Nordic countries would generally be good at it, the US not so much.

The American dream is harder to achieve in, err, America.
    Yes America is too big. It could be dealt with on a state by state basis maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

melissak wrote: »
    I don't think so. Regardless of the price of oil worldwide I would not expect the price at the pump to change greatly. It would not be our way...

The price at the pump has been falling steadily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Our crash was largely in part to the construction industry.

Too many houses been built noone to buy them.

This time around we seem to have learned, but we still have the left crying for 100,000 houses to be built.

Sound familiar?

Two different eras, two different problems. Both problems of the free market btw. In one era the number of houses built was excessive because of lack of regulation, in another the number of houses built wasn't enough.

In both cases it looks like Johnny taxpayer needs to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

The arse will fall out of the peer services soon I'd say, maybe not this year but soon.

Ah , no more torrents. Really is the end of the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭Cody montana

?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

?

!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mojoeback

!

the end is nigh .......................................................................................................... or maybe a very old post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

mojoeback wrote: »
    the end is nigh .......................................................................................................... or maybe a very old post

There was no need for that extraneous punctuation. Less is more. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

currency stability is going to be replaced by, ehh, currency flexibility

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

people in Ireland thinking we are booming when we see new cars sales up.What this says to me is that John and Mary. are now 500 euros poorer a month. but the feel Great lovely Smell of New car. next the get a credit Gold card with 30000 euros credit limited lets going a spending spree you know where this is all going another crash you can 100 per cent see its here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Nows the time to accumulate a ball of cash and line up the investors for the inevitable crash. Then swoop in.

My Grandfather had 650 men working for him in London in 1960s to 1990s and in the 90s a lot of his staff had new cars but he was driving a 15 years old van and. when the crash of 1990 to 1991 came 650 men where on the dole. my Grandfather retired a very rich/ wealthy Man he has since past away my Grandmother still lives in London in home worth over 8 million pound paid for and the are the most down to earth people you could ever meet. no toffee nose stuff.and yes there is a crash coming its called Brexit. this Crash is going to be big time 2008 will not get a look in. start saving big time .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My Grandfather had 650 men working for him in London in 1960s to 1990s and in the 90s a lot of his staff had new cars but he was driving a 15 years old van and. when the crash of 1990 to 1991 came 650 men where on the dole. my Grandfather retired a very rich/ wealthy Man he has since past away my Grandmother still lives in London in home worth over 8 million pound paid for and the are the most down to earth people you could ever meet. no toffee nose stuff.and yes there is a crash coming its called Brexit. this Crash is going to be big time 2008 will not get a look in. start saving big time .

Ah brexit will be small fry when compared to the next major financial crisis, prepare for it, it's in the post

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah brexit will be small fry when compared to the next major financial crisis, prepare for it, it's in the post
    You are 100 per cent right I totally agree with you big time

Moral of the story? Build a company employing 500+ people for 30+ years and you'll be fine. Oh yeah, and don't buy new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Asset prices are being supported at artificially high levels at the moment by QE and as central banks stop buying vast swathes of assets (particularly bonds) prices will normalise. It's not all bad though because falling bond prices mean increased yields which will help bridge the holes in pension funds.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Trumps tax measures underwhelmed and led to a sharp correction.

Asset prices are being supported at artificially high levels at the moment by QE and as central banks stop buying vast swathes of assets (particularly bonds) prices will normalise. It's not all bad though because falling bond prices mean increased yields which will help bridge the holes in pension funds.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Trumps tax measures underwhelmed and led to a sharp correction.

....or a complete collapse of the global monetary system, whos knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....or a complete collapse of the global monetary system, whos knows!

At least if you're stuck for tinfoil you can tear a strip off the hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

my Grandmother still lives in London in home worth over 8 million pound paid for and the are the most down to earth people you could ever meet.

Bit of an oxymoron there

At least if you're stuck for tinfoil you can tear a strip off the hat.

im afraid you can ditch all that neoclassical stuff, its all nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

There is no crash in sight -- bookmark

Last crash was mostly due to borrowing off the strength of worthless / non existent assets - or borrowing to pay for highly inflated assets

There is no proof of this in sight again

Spend away people

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

This in the independent this morning about noonan and Enda.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/taoiseach-and-noonan-personally-briefed-facebook-and-google-on-apple-tax-row-35565523.html

They hav,nt even appointed a Brexit minister yet for the north but they can meet these .

We don,t want another maned boarder again they need get there priorities right .

And the italian Banks are fcuked mario draghi been cooking the books .

remind me of this the count . imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIniljT5lJI

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If we resurrect this thread every year, if will eventually be right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

This in the independent this morning about noonan and Enda.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/taoiseach-and-noonan-personally-briefed-facebook-and-google-on-apple-tax-row-35565523.html

They hav,nt even appointed a Brexit minister yet for the north but they can meet these .

We don,t want another maned boarder again they need get there priorities right .
    Noonan and Kenny won't be in politics when Brexit actually happens. They couldn't give a fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Kicking the auld can down to the local again, then go in and spend €7 on a pint, recession 2.0 me bollix. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

No, I don't see a crash coming.
    Our bankers and politicians have learned a lot from the mistakes of the past.
    They will ensure that any future crash is anticipated, and becomes a 'Soft Landing'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

deandean wrote: »
    No, I don't see a crash coming.
    Our bankers and politicians have learned a lot from the mistakes of the past.
    They will ensure that any future crash is anticipated, and becomes a 'Soft Landing'.

The soft landing being the taxpayers hah

Advertisement