Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

In hindsight, trading him feels like a Jimmy G situation, he'd earned the right to be traded somewhere to be competitive. He hadn't a hope of winning agian with the Pats, sounds like we did hima favour sending him to Tampa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

eagle eye wrote: »
    Amazingly we are in a grest cap situation next year and a lot of teams will be struggling to stay under the cap.
    Great chance of picking up free agents cheaper than normal as not many teams will be in the market.

True, but we're also not paying a QB a decent wage right now. That will have to change next season if we're to stand a chance.
    Even if we hold on to Cam, it wont be as cheap as he is right now and we'll still need to spend a tonne of money to make our offence competative again.

If we move on from Cam, it's clear Stidham isn't what Bill wants to move forward with, so we'll need another FA signing or a high draft pick on a QB, which again will take a massive chunk out of our space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shedite27 wrote: »
    In hindsight, trading him feels like a Jimmy G situation, he'd earned the right to be traded somewhere to be competitive. He hadn't a hope of winning agian with the Pats, sounds like we did hima favour sending him to Tampa

The Pats didn't send him anywhere, his contract was up and he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

BizzyC wrote:
    True, but we're also not paying a QB a decent wage right now. That will have to change next season if we're to stand a chance. Even if we hold on to Cam, it wont be as cheap as he is right now and we'll still need to spend a tonne of money to make our offence competative again.
    Draft a QB, take a second one as well.
    Sticking with Cam is basically throwing another season. If we stick with Can it's a two year rebuild.
    BizzyC wrote:
    If we move on from Cam, it's clear Stidham isn't what Bill wants to move forward with, so we'll need another FA signing or a high draft pick on a QB, which again will take a massive chunk out of our space.
    You don't pay dearly for a QB in the draft. Joe Burrow was the first pick in the draft last year, he'll earn $6.5 million this year, $8.2 million next year. The lower the draft pick the less money you pay.

After yesterdays games, I feel a lot better about having Cam vs Tom right now....

• Advertisement

BizzyC wrote: »
    After yesterdays games, I feel a lot better about having Cam vs Tom right now....

Cue the Jets winning tonight now

Cam Newton Vs Joe Flacco. It's gonna be awful watching.

That's a terrible take

Halftime, Patriots 10 Jets 20.

Awful stuff. At this rate well have the no.1 pick in the draft.

We win it with a field goal right at the end. Awful stuff, give Stidham his shot.

• Advertisement

That's a terrible take
    Good discussion, thanks for your contribution...

Brady was god awful on Sunday, and that was with an embarrassment of offensive weapons to choose from. I shudder to think how that level of play would have linked up with the talent we have around Cam.

On to our game.

I'm not surprised by the Offence, but how is our secondary getting opened up like that by Flacco and the Jets....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    We win it with a field goal right at the end. Awful stuff, give Stidham his shot.

I am not sure he would have helped stop Flacco from taking apart your secondary.

Edit: you can try see what you have but you know he isn't a superstar yet and there are no receiving options. Watson learned with Hopkins on his team, Mahomes has Hill. Trubisky had a defense to bail him out at every turn. If you want to see what he can do at least give him a shot.

Brady was god awful on Sunday, and that was with an embarrassment of offensive weapons to choose from. I shudder to think how that level of play would have linked up with the talent we have around Cam.

He had one bad game, I reckon he'll outperform Cam in every category this season

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

Shedite27 wrote: »
    He had one bad game, I reckon he'll outperform Cam in every category this season

I'll take that bet. (rushing TDs is a category right?) Newton also has the lead on avg/attempt and completion rate.

Brady is the better QB but I am not sure there is a massive amount in it at the moment and we'll you said every category.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Meyers is developing into an great receiver, last year Brady wouldn't look his way because he'd only trust Edelman

paulie21 wrote:
    Meyers is developing into an great receiver, last year Brady wouldn't look his way because he'd only trust Edelman
    Looks really good, if we had a good receiving tight end and an accurate QB we'd be in good shape.
    I wonder what's going on with White, he seems underutilised. 171 receiving yards, 51 on the ground and no touchdowns.

I think the problem with White right now is that defences make him a priority in coverage.
    After the first couple of games, the league realised they just had to take away JE and White to shut down the pass game, no one else gets open.

Hopefully Meyers can continue to grow and maybe Harry will be struck by lightning and finally play like he was expected to, then White will start to find a few more favourable match-ups again.

On to our game.

I'm not surprised by the Offence, but how is our secondary getting opened up like that by Flacco and the Jets....

Brady was playing behind a disintegrating OL, in a scheme that was built around long developing routes. The coaching in Tampa, at least on offense, is garbage. Not clue how to best utilise the talent. In addition, his targets were seemingly determined to drop the good throws he was able to make.

Brady put up 4000+ yards, 28:4 TD/ Int with this team last season. But for a blown call in the Chiefs game, and the defense being unable to stop Fitzmagic, they would've at least had a 1st Rd bye.

Cam has been terrible. Brady has the Bucs in contention, and until last night, angling for a top seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I too think Cam is better than Brady.

As a Patriots fan, I've followed Brady's career closely and it's safe to say that you can write him off and there is absolutely no danger of him ever proving you wrong.

It certainly never happened during his time here that he ended up proving his doubters wrong, and I see no reason why he would begin doing that now.

I imagine the chip on his shoulder after Sunday Night will be too much to bear and weigh him down. He'll struggle, no doubt. He's never handled adversity well in his career, that's for sure.

FFS, Cam was never as good as Brady and he certainly isn't now.
    Brady has a stinker every couple of years and he had one against the Saints.
    Look at his other performances this season. He had one interception in his previous seven games.
    Cam Newton had his best game of the season last night against the worst defense in the league. He was bad against Buffalo, awful against the 49ers and the Broncos. Two of those performances were in the same realm as Brady against the Saints.

• Advertisement

I too think Cam is better than Brady.

As a Patriots fan, I've followed Brady's career closely and it's safe to say that you can write him off and there is absolutely no danger of him ever proving you wrong.

It certainly never happened during his time here that he ended up proving his doubters wrong, and I see no reason why he would begin doing that now.

I imagine the chip on his shoulder after Sunday Night will be too much to bear and weigh him down. He'll struggle, no doubt. He's never handled adversity well in his career, that's for sure.

Have you even watched football this season? Absolutely zero basis for that opinion. Brady was an outside bet for MVP coming into last week, Cam was 2:7 td/ int.

I'm a big fan of Cams, but he's been poor. That throw he missed to Meyers when he was in for a TD was terrible, and a regular feature of the season. His mechanics are terrible, the announcer was pointing it out all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Whoosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Have you even watched football this season? Absolutely zero basis for that opinion. Brady was an outside bet for MVP coming into last week, Cam was 2:7 td/ int.

I'm a big fan of Cams, but he's been poor. That throw he missed to Meyers when he was in for a TD was terrible, and a regular feature of the season. His mechanics are terrible, the announcer was pointing it out all night.

Saracsm (noun) - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt

FFS, I'm not even saying Cam is better or has ever been better than Brady.
    What I've been saying is that I'm glad we have Cam over Brady right now.

If some O-Line struggles at Tampa culminates in Sunday's performance for Tom, while still having a sleuth of weapons around him, how would he be doing in NE...

Right now Cam has no weapons, he's going through his all of his progressions to find a throw to make or he's having to take off and run.
    Tom would be stuck holding the ball in the pocket, as bad as last year was for him this year would be way worse.

The amount of fanboyism in this thread makes it impossible to actually discuss anything.

There's hope, we seem to have found a way that this offense can he affective. Very impressed with both sides of the ball in horrific weather tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

That was a good win last night. Looking at the fixtures, I think they'd need to go 6-1 to get second in the division and probably scrape into the playoffs as a wildcard. Hard to see that happening in reality.

It was a good win. The OL is really doing well, worth ever cent. Cam continues to struggle throwing the ball tho. That's gonna be the determiner as to how far we go imo. The missed TD throw to Edelman cost us against the Seahawks, and the Meyers miss could easily have been similar.

I was heartened to see how well we contained Jackson. The Ravens are notably weaker than last year, but we did a decent job keeping him from breaking off big runs .

SK1979 wrote:
    That was a good win last night. Looking at the fixtures, I think they'd need to go 6-1 to get second in the division and probably scrape into the playoffs as a wildcard. Hard to see that happening in reality.
    We have to face the Bills again and they also have to play the Steelers and Dolphins.
    We have to play the Dolphins too.

Our tough games are the Cardinals and Rams. We showed last night that we can stop the run, if we succeed at that we win both those games.

It could yet come down to the game against the Bills for divisional honours.

The OL is really doing well, worth ever cent.
    That's probably the best area of our Offence this season, across the board we're looking very solid, might be quietly one of the best OLines in the league right now.

• Advertisement

I'm expecting a big performance tonight. It's very hard to stop what we did last week if the offensive performs to the level they did.

Advertisement