Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 best reasons for atheism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

When it comes to assessing hypocrisy I'm comfortable judging theists.

Ok well we differ on that. I'm not comfortable judging anyone. Probably because i'm equally uncomfortable with being judged. But each to their own...

In any case, the purpose of the quote (since it evidently requires an explanation) is to point out the arbitrary nature of the religious person's belief in one god rather than a different one. If the quote has a flaw in its logic it's that the believer will say, "But I dismiss those other gods because my god is the one true god and the others are satan's avatar." And that is not why an atheists dismisses the believer's god. Rather it is the lack of any empirical evidence for god, combined with the obvious contradictions that arise if the believer's god actually does exist.

I got all of that on reading it myself but thanks for the clarification. Obviously, while i get your point you clearly missed mine. But seeing as your comfortable judging others, my point would be moot from your perspective anyway. That's ok. I'm happy to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Look, religious people judge me all the time. My children judge me all the time--so does my mother-in-law. So what? Not all judgments are equal. My six-year old, for example, makes vocal judgments about the fairness of the world but he clearly doesn't know WTF he is talking about in most of these cases (e.g., in fact it is fair that he plays on the Wii U for 20 minutes and then his brother plays for 20 minutes). Similarly the judgement of believers carries no weight. It would if it were a contest of the will to power or something cool like that (I'm reading Moby Dick at the moment so I'm channeling that ultimate badass Ahab when he says: "All visible objects, man,
    are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event--in the living act, the undoubted deed--there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask!").

Look, religious people judge me all the time. My children judge me all the time--so does my mother-in-law. So what? Not all judgments are equal.

People judge others all the time. I do it myself, but when i know i'm doing it i immediately feel uncomfortable about it. It's part of the human condition but I don't believe that make it ok. As i said, we differ on this and that's fine. I'm not looking to change your mind but i'll call a judgement when I see one.
    My six-year old, for example, makes vocal judgments about the fairness of the world but he clearly doesn't know WTF he is talking about in most of these cases (e.g., in fact it is fair that he plays on the Wii U for 20 minutes and then his brother plays for 20 minutes).

We can judge things all we like. Judging other people is a different animal all together.
    Similarly the judgement of believers carries no weight.

Agreed. That's my point.

Honestly, i'm more then ok with agreeing to disagree here. We're not going to find a compromise on when it's ok or not ok to judge other people so no point in us trying to hammer it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

robindch wrote: »
    On the contrary, christianity has developed enormously - from its parent religion (judaism) etc, to the thousands or tens-of-thousands of child religions it's given rise to - including islam.

The one thing that religion won't do is stand still, since that's the kiss of death to this memetic lifeform.

I meant development in terms of clarifying our understanding of this world

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

When it comes to assessing hypocrisy I'm comfortable judging theists. In any case, the purpose of the quote (since it evidently requires an explanation) is to point out the arbitrary nature of the religious person's belief in one god rather than a different one. If the quote has a flaw in its logic...

The speaker has a flaw in their understanding of atheism if they contend that both are atheist, when one of them clearly isn't.

it's that the believer will say, "But I dismiss those other gods because my god is the one true god and the others are satan's avatar."

That's a big presumption on your part?

And that is not why an atheists dismisses the believer's god.

I'm not sure what way to read this, perhaps you could clarify. Should it be -

'why an atheist dismisses' or 'why atheists dismiss'? Because neither way you're speaking for yourself, unless you're speaking about yourself in the third person?

I guess I've just been fortunate that I've never met that type of person offline.

Rather it is the lack of any empirical evidence for god, combined with the obvious contradictions that arise if the believer's god actually does exist.

Have you considered the possibility that they haven't considered any of the above, and that they simply don't care? They don't believe and they give it no thought whatsoever, and they're quite happy as they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

The speaker has a flaw in their understanding of atheism if they contend that both are atheist, when one of them clearly isn't.

Either that or you have failed to parse what the speaker means in what they said. Which is what has happened here in your failure to read the first sentence in the context of what followed it, as you do all too often.

I can help clarify however. What the speaker means is not just that they are both atheist, but they are both atheist _with respect to_ those other gods. The difference being that the speaker simply goes one god further.

That is the meaning. As for the POINT of saying it.... the speaker is highlighting something many of us (I certainly have) have experienced.... and not just on the subject of religion..... where humans have a comical, though tragic, tendency to reject the propositions of others for the VERY SAME reasons we reject theirs. But they fail to turn those reasons and reasonings towards introspection.

I see this often on 1 or 2 hour long debates between Muslims and Christians which I recommend you watch some of. Each of them will put forward the "evidence" for their claims like the Resurrection on one side, and the dictation of a written text to an otherwise illiterate on the other side and so on and so on.

And then, seemingly oblivious to what they are doing, they both rip apart each others arguments at great length using the _exact same_ rebuttals. Not once, it appears at least, noticing that every rebuttal they offer applies 100% identically to everything they themselves offered.

In a moment of youthful brashness I once described watching inter-faith debate as being like watching a fist fight between two people with no arms. Yet despite the throw away moment of saying that.... the impression it gives seems more and more true as I age.

But the same is true in other spheres. Get two people debating between homeopathy and reiki and both sides will parrot all the same types of testimonial. While both will rubbish those testimonials from the other and complain the other has no papers or studies or trials to back up any of it.
    That's a big presumption on your part?

In many cases not remotely a presumption at all. Some large groups of believers even have it written into the very texts of their faith (First commandment anyone?) or into the words of the mantras they recite to themselves periodically (Nicene Creed anyone?). The idea there is one true god and all others ones are false is very much core to many faiths.
    Have you considered the possibility that they haven't considered any of the above, and that they simply don't care? They don't believe and they give it no thought whatsoever, and they're quite happy as they are.

I consider that possibility myself all the time. And indeed it would not be an issue at all were religion not such a big part of our society or the problems in today's world.

Many believers speak of "Private Faith" and if faith really way private there likely would not even BE an atheist forum on boards.ie or anywhere else.

But alas the only reason I am even working on things related to Atheism and Secularism as much as I do is that the things I really DO want to invest myself in.... science, education, medicine, sexuality, reproductive health, politics to name but a few..... are areas of discourse where the faithful come in waving their faith claims around all too often like a club with which to sweep away all before them.

Or, like the OP, some people simply will not leave them alone on the matter of faith. It seems many believers in the world can not be happy with their belief... until others believe it too.

So perhaps they do not care. That is fine with me. But they too should be fine with the fact I do not care that they do not care. Because as long as they walk into our halls of power, education and science waving their religion about I will treat them in many of the same ways as I would if they walked in with their dick in their hands. I will question them, explain the errors of their ways at length, and why the move they want to make in those games is not a valid one to make.

Either that or you have failed to parse what the speaker means in what they said. Which is what has happened here in your failure to read the first sentence in the context of what followed it, as you do all too often.

I can help clarify however. What the speaker means is not just that they are both atheist, but they are both atheist _with respect to_ those other gods. The difference being that the speaker simply goes one god further.

So they're a theist atheist, or are they an atheist theist? Or is there a spectrum now of atheism or theism, and we're all on that spectrum somewhere, and it doesn't matter how we identify, someone else will be along shortly to tell us what we are?

Rhetorical question. It's as daft to assume someone should be an atheist as it is to assume someone should be a theist.

In many cases not remotely a presumption at all.

On that poster's part, it was. Unless they possess precognitive abilities, I have no idea how they are so certain what anyone would say. It's certainly not what I would say (Victor Meldrew response above is more likely).

I consider that possibility myself all the time.

You don't appear to have considered the possibility that I was talking about people who identify as atheist, as you seem to have gone on to talk about people who are religious for some reason. I was referring to people who identify as atheist who simply have no interest in empirical evidence or any of the rest of it. They just don't believe, and they have no interest in discussing their absence or lack of belief,not just in one deity, but in any deity.

Getting a 404 on that link btw, not sure what's happening there.

So they're a theist atheist, or are they an atheist theist?

Nothing I wrote suggested either. So you tell me. You are contriving to obsess over the word "atheist" in the quote at the expense of understanding what the quote actually means and says. And in fact you would be FAR from the first theist to come to this forum and miss the point, or the topic, in favor of obsessing over the word "atheist".

As I said what the quote means and says is to highlight the fact that an atheist and, say, a christian share disbelief in all the OTHER gods, for all the SAME reasons. And many, most, maybe even all of those reasons turn out often to be equally applicable to the god the theist in question subscribes to.

But rather than say that in as many words as I did, the term "atheist" is convenient enough to keep the sound bite down in size. Which appears to work for most people with the capability of reading a sentence in the context of what follows, but I guess not so well for the people who contrive to be over literal for agenda driven effect.
    On that poster's part, it was

Who, the sentence you quoted, should have made it clear I was not talking about.
    you seem to have gone on to talk about people who are religious for some reason.

A reason that could not be clearer. But I am happy to explain it anyway given clear things escaping you. THEY might not care, and that is fine, so long as it is fine that I do not care that they do not care.

Because religion IS an issue in our world for the reasons I then explained, and we are going to stand up to it for those reasons. So their not caring is not relevant. This is a thread about reasons for atheism and their not actually caring is irrelevant to what atheism is, and what many, many, atheists want. And why.

So perhaps as you say "they have no interest in discussing their absence or lack of belief,not just in one deity, but in any deity." and that is fine, but they will also have to be fine with the fact that, regardless of their interest levels it is a discussion we are going to have in many many realms of public discourse.
    Getting a 404 on that link btw, not sure what's happening there.

Nor am I as it works for me. It was merely a link to Micheal Nugents speech on you tube related to comparing atheism to not collecting stamps and asking why atheists care at all about a god they do not even believe exists.

Nothing I wrote suggested either. So you tell me. You are contriving to obsess over the word "atheist" in the quote at the expense of understanding what the quote actually means and says. And in fact you would be FAR from the first theist to come to this forum and miss the point, or the topic, in favor of obsessing over the word "atheist".

I'm not contriving over anything. It's the author of that quote seems to be contriving the generally understood meaning of atheism to fit their own ends and it just doesn't work. I understand the intent behind the quote, but the author is simply incorrect if he is referring to a theist as an atheist. That's not me contriving, that's the author contriving.

Who, the sentence you quoted, should have made it clear I was not talking about.

It was already quite clear from my post who I was talking about. I didn't gain any benefit from the additional information you included in your reply.

A reason that could not be clearer. But I am happy to explain it anyway given clear things escaping you. THEY might not care, and that is fine, so long as it is fine that I do not care that they do not care.

The rest of that isn't related to the people I'm talking about at all. The above description nails it. The point being -

A person doesn't, nor shouldn't need a reason for atheism, let alone three.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

if you had to have 3 points only
    what clear points would you make

1. There is no empirical evidence leading you to conclude God exists. The various arguments put up for an intelligent designer (fine tuning, etc) have naturalistic arguments to counter them

2. There are so many religions, with conflicting models of God as to suppose that culture is what drives the notion of God's existence.

3. Science has explained very much. It is reasonable to conclude that science will eventually explain the things that are very often posited to belong to the realm of God (the gaps will be filled).

4. Religion frequently smells bad. If something smells bad, our experience is generally is bad. Someone (Looksee I think) made the point that if God does exist then Religion is probably his worst enemy.

There are more, but those are reasonably good ones.

• Advertisement

Hey Jack, since you sharing, why don't you tell us why you have faith in the Christian god rather than a different deity? The idea of working your way up the reincarnation ladder turn you off Hinduism? Or did you benefit from a revelation or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Akrasia wrote: »
    1. It's 2016
    2. I'm a grown up
    3. I don't believe in magic.

Ah go on, go on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ifTS5NEsI

I'm not contriving over anything. It's the author of that quote seems to be contriving the generally understood meaning of atheism to fit their own ends and it just doesn't work.

Nope, it is still just your failure to read the sentences in the context of each other and an overly pedantic application of the word atheist. Everyone else, aside from you, appears to realize that what the author of the quote is saying is that an atheist and a theist share a disbelief in all the other gods except one. I am sure linguistic pedantry is fun, I do it myself sometimes, but not to the point that it leaves me just looking silly.
    It was already quite clear from my post who I was talking about. I didn't gain any benefit from the additional information you included in your reply.

Perhaps you would do well to remember not everything is about you. This is a public forum and, I do not know about you, but when I reply to someone directly I am not replying to JUST them, but to anyone else who might be reading along.

I was pointing out that such a comment is not assumption or presumption at all in quite a lot of cases. Deal with it.
    A person doesn't, nor shouldn't need a reason for atheism, let alone three.

In an ideal world yes you are right. Alas this is not an ideal world, it is a world where the vast majority are infected with the religious memetic virus in one form or another. I, of course, do not have direct figures on this but I would be genuinely suprised if the number of people who reached atheism by reasoning themselves out of theism does not FAR outweigh people like myself who were never even remotely theist at any point in their lives.

Nope, it is still just your failure to read the sentences in the context of each other and an overly pedantic application of the word atheist.

This. It never ceases to amaze me that the Christian posters here are as thick as pig **** when it comes to understanding irony, nuance, or context in ordinary language. But when it comes to interpreting the bible they turn into Jesuits ("Ah let me explain away what you see as a contradiction in that text").

Nope, it is still just your failure to read the sentences in the context of each other and an overly pedantic application of the word atheist. Everyone else, aside from you, appears to realize that what the author of the quote is saying is that an atheist and a theist share a disbelief in all the other gods except one. I am sure linguistic pedantry is fun, I do it myself sometimes, but not to the point that it leaves me just looking silly.

That's a matter of opinion. Regardless, I understand the sentiment the author was attempting to convey. That doesn't mean it sounds any less daft in my opinion.

Perhaps you would do well to remember not everything is about you. This is a public forum and, I do not know about you, but when I reply to someone directly I am not replying to JUST them, but to anyone else who might be reading along.

There's an inherent irony in that declaration, in my opinion.

I was pointing out that such a comment is not assumption or presumption at all in quite a lot of cases. Deal with it.

I have already. It appears you need to labour the point, but I'm over it already.

In an ideal world yes you are right. Alas this is not an ideal world, it is a world where the vast majority are infected with the religious memetic virus in one form or another. I, of course, do not have direct figures on this but I would be genuinely suprised if the number of people who reached atheism by reasoning themselves out of theism does not FAR outweigh people like myself who were never even remotely theist at any point in their lives.

Thank you.

That's a matter of opinion. Regardless, I understand the sentiment the author was attempting to convey. That doesn't mean it sounds any less daft in my opinion.

And yet the only basis for calling it daft that you have offered is to be overly and pointlessly pedantic about the use of the word "atheist" in the context of the quote.

However everyone else seems to get what he means by the use of it in that context.... it is much easier and simpler to read than a 10 sentence splurge on what he means.... and the use of "atheist" appears to get (most) people thinking and stimulating thought appears to be the goal in the first place.

So all in all aside from your meaningless pedantry, the quote appears to be just fine.
    There's an inherent irony in that declaration, in my opinion.

Empty and meaningless line here with no apparent content or basis.
    I have already. It appears you need to labour the point, but I'm over it already.

Yet the laboring came solely from you and still does given you were the only one who moaned about it in the first place.
    Thank you.

No problem. Any time you need more help distinguishing a fantasy ideal world from the reality we actually live in, I will be happy to help.

Personal insults aside, I think everyone understands the meaning of the quote... It's not exactly complicated..

But the purpose of it being posted and the point being made of it remain elusive..

Seems to me like it's just a pointless exercise in semantics aimed to get a rise from theists but actually proves nothing either way.

The quote contends that everyone is actually atheist. So starts with a judgement about all theists. Then it makes the assumption that a theist has only one God and therefore lacks belief in all others. Probably true for most people of a religious faith but a generalization nonetheless. From there the extrapolation is made that all theists are atheists. Ok so factually correct with a broad use of the term atheist but it remains utterly pointless and smacks of someone trying to be clever but failing miserably.

So yes, a theist can be atheist in relation to other Gods but so what ? They're still theist with regard to the only god that matters to them.

If it makes an atheist feel better to judge a theist and call them atheist then fine, knock yourselves out. But please be aware that your judgements are meaningless to those you judge and reflect far more on you then the person you're judging.

As an aside, what's with the constant accusations against theists on here of being sub par intelligence ? It contributes zero to a constructive argument and same as above, says far more about the ability to debate of the poster making such claims then it does about the posters being accused of being "thick".

And yet the only basis for calling it daft that you have offered is to be overly and pointlessly pedantic about the use of the word "atheist" in the context of the quote.

However everyone else seems to get what he means by the use of it in that context.... it is much easier and simpler to read than a 10 sentence splurge on what he means.... and the use of "atheist" appears to get (most) people thinking and stimulating thought appears to be the goal in the first place.

Like the gift that just keeps on giving.

You appear to be struggling with the concept of a difference of opinion. If I need something explained to me, I will ask for it to be explained to me (we've been over this already). The implication that I should think a certain way because everyone else thinks that way is just too much, even for me, at this hour of the morning. I'm off for some coffee.

You appear to be struggling with the concept of a difference of opinion.

Well if you want to call it daft that is up to you, it does not mean I am in any way obliged NOT to explain why it is not daft at all, but in fact quite useful and quite understandable. The only one failing to understand "difference of opinion" therefore is you. Because when you give yours everything is ok, when I give mine there is a problem. It appears "Difference of opinion" to you means "Let me express my opinion without anyone having to hear yours".

Swanner wrote: »
    But the purpose of it being posted and the point being made of it remain elusive..

Is it? I thought the user who quoted it explained the reason for it quite well. It appears the purpose of it is that the OP is being asked for reasons to be an atheist.

The purpose and meaning of the quote is to show the theist(s) in question that the OP is atheist towards all gods for many (if not even all) the same reasons that that theist is atheist relative to all the other gods they themselves do not believe in.

So the purpose of the quote is to show the theists the OP is talking about the value of a little introspection in answering their own grilling of the OPs atheism.
    The quote contends that everyone is actually atheist.

No. It does not. Funny that you started the post claiming everyone understands the quote and then you go on to demonstrate you actually do not.

As I explained to OEJ, the quote is not contending all theists are atheists. Context is important here. The quote is contending that the atheist, and the theist he is directing the quote at, are both "atheist" !_in relation to_! all the other gods they both do not believe in.
    Then it makes the assumption that a theist has only one God and therefore lacks belief in all others.

Oh I am sure there are exceptions indeed, but I fear you have studied at the OEJ school of pointless and contrived pedantry here too. Context is everything and the author of the quote is writing in a by far predominantly monotheistic society and is attempting to write a concise thought provoking quote.

As such he is not likely to achieve those ends by including every tiny caveat or variation possible. A general quote, for a general situation, using general words is more than sufficient. It is nothing but linguistic pedantry to obsess over it too deeply.

If you are going to milk every quote of that length and intent for "generalization" then you will be at it for a long time and will likely achieve nothing except to build up a reputation for pointless and ineffectually pedantry.

Again the only purpose of the quote appears to be to get theists.... specifically theists who want to know why atheists are atheist.... to explore the own basis for their rejection of others gods.... and realize that much (sometimes even ALL) of the reasons they have for it are identical to that of the atheist they were asking.

And that is a good thing. Because one of the most effective steps in getting someone else to accept your position, is to assist them in seeing it from your perspective.
    If it makes an atheist feel better to judge a theist and call them atheist then fine, knock yourselves out.

Yet as I keep pointing out that is not the intention of the quote. Pretending theists are really atheists is not the motivation there at all.

Would that the same could be said for some theists though. Try reading those articles such as "I do not believe in atheists" and the like where they try to prove, usually through linguistic acrobatics, that all atheists believe in god really.
    As an aside, what's with the constant accusations against theists on here of being sub par intelligence ? It contributes zero to a constructive argument and same as above, says far more about the ability to debate of the poster making such claims then it does about the posters being accused of being "thick".

Not sure myself. You would have to directly ask one of the people who said such a thing. I never did so I can not speak for them.

There _have_ been a number of studies showing an inverse correlation between education and intelligence.... and religiosity. But I think many atheists move too quickly to read too much into that.

Much like being a health freak and gym bunny does not really lessen the infection rate to the common cold, I think that while education and intelligence can certainly be helpful in inoculating against infection by religious meme viruses.... it is not the whole story. In fact in some ways being more intelligent can leave you MORE prone to infection.

Newton being a great example of that. Possibly the greatest mind out species ever produced. Yet when he reached the limits of his intellect and his ability to explain the universe.... he threw up his hands and cited god as the explanation. He also subscribed to a host of other massively unsubstantiated nonsense in his life too.

So while we can not ignore the interesting correlations, I am always more wary of reading too much into them too than some posters around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This quote is relevant to this thread:

“I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” —Stephen F Roberts

It is obvious what he means, and it is a good point. However he is incorrect in trying to describe theists as atheist. An atheist has no belief in god - any god - Roberts seems to be suggesting (I think) that when a theist gets sense he will be an atheist; that does not make him an atheist now. Or that in not believing in a number of gods, he is atheist in respect of those gods, but you cannot be a selective atheist, you either do believe or you do not.

...the OEJ school of pointless and contrived pedantry...

It would be remiss of me not to take this opportunity to point out that the school is a secular school, open to all people of all faiths and no faith, inclusive and respectful of diversity.

One thing we encourage in our school is to treat others as you would like to be treated, otherwise it's the epitome of hypocritical thinking (as opposed to critical thinking), to express sentiments like this -

...the likes of One Eyed Jack...

And then say something like this -

It is a common tactic I guess on forums when someone quotes something a person said.... for people to "rebut" it with "Oh that guy.... well look how wrong he was about what he did/said over HERE......"

Then they then proceed to tear apart something else from that quoted source.... or tear apart the person themselves who was quoted.... which has little, if anything at all, to do with the original quote, or the point the quote was made in reference to.

I remember I quoted one beautiful line from someone once and rather than reply to my point the other forum user said "Oh THAT guy is a liberal and the problem with liberals is......" and in the blink of an eye I found the entire thread was not even REMOTELY about what the original topic was. :eek:

It is not something I do.

The implication of the earlier quotation in question is that the author believes they have one less reason to express bigotry. Kinda missing the beam in their own eye.

It would be remiss of me

Kinda missing the beam in their own eye.

No idea what your point is here or how it replies to the post you are replying to. It appears to have replied to nothing I actually said, nor made any actual point in relation to anything I actually said.

If you are trying to suggest that in quote 1 and 2 I engaged in the kind of behavior I decry in point 3, then you have failed. I have done no such thing. Try again. If your point is something else however, you will need to work on it a little harder.
    looksee wrote: »
    However he is incorrect in trying to describe theists as atheist.

And once again I _really_ do not think that is what he is doing or attempting to do. At all. On first reading, sure, I get that. But when you consider the point he is trying to make, in the context he is trying to make it, I simply can not parse it that way any more at all.

No idea what your point is here or how it replies to the post you are replying to. It appears to have replied to nothing I actually said, nor made any actual point in relation to anything I actually said.

If you are trying to suggest that in quote 1 and 2 I engaged in the kind of behavior I decry in point 3, then you have failed. I have done no such thing. Try again. If your point is something else however, you will need to work on it a little harder.

I think people reading along will understand the point being made.

It's not a very good reason to claim to be an atheist, as though the author of the quote somehow associates their atheism with being incapable of bigotry.

I'm still struggling to think of the three best reasons for atheism that would benefit the OP, because as far as I'm concerned, I see no reason whatsoever for them to justify their atheism to anyone. I would simply remind those people that it would serve their interests better if they didn't proselytize.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well to be honest I am tending to skip all the debate between you and Noz.

Well if you will not explain the point you have tried, and failed, to make to me then I can not help you any further with it. You certainly do not appear to be replying to anything I said in any way relevant to it. Let me know if you want to get around to making the point any better.
    It's not a very good reason to claim to be an atheist, as though the author of the quote somehow associates their atheism with being incapable of bigotry.

Are you replying to the right person here? I really do not know where "bigotry" came into either A) your reply to me or B) the discussion of the Stephen F Roberts quote. You appear to have shot off on some tangent or parallel monologue and I _genuinely_ Have no idea how you got there from here.
    I'm still struggling to think of the three best reasons for atheism that would benefit the OP

I agree with you that he should not have to answer for his atheism and the people giving him jip over it are at fault.

But I assume these people are people important in his life. And they might, while being "in your face" preaching at him, be genuinely worried for him, want to understand him or where he is coming from, and so forth.

So if he is struggling with this then I hope he does find his "three reasons" that he can give them.

As I keep saying, and theists like the ones on this forum keep demonstrating, there is no argument, evidence, data or reasoning on offer AT ALL to suggest our universe was created or is being maintained by a non-human intelligent and intentional agency. Let alone one that turns cracker bread magic, or gives birth to itself through underage virgins.

That is certainly one answer he can give.

The other answer to give is that many people who are atheist or lack belief in a god are aware of, and have normalized for, the powerful drivers in our biological and mental make up that leave us prone to god belief. Things like "The intentional stance" and "Pattern Seeking behavior" and "Hyper active agency detection" and so forth.

And the third answer to give is one you even alluded to yourself I think (might have been someone else, not relevant enough to check). Which is that the questions we have in this universe, or about this universe, are steadily (if slowly) being answered by science and there is strong basis to suspect they will continue to be. And if rational, scientific, explanations keep coming there will be no room left for a god. And in fact if there is a god it seems to have contrived pretty hard to create a universe that looks exactly like a universe that has no god. I can not remember the people involved, but I remember a theist-atheist exchange where the former said "What would a universe without a god even look like" and was instantly replied to with "ehhh... this one".

So:

1) No basis at all to think there is a god
    2) Every reason in the world to think we are prone to inventing gods
    3) We live in a universe where seemingly there is nothing for a god to do or have done.

The purpose and meaning of the quote is to show the theist(s) in question that the OP is atheist towards all gods for many (if not even all) the same reasons that that theist is atheist relative to all the other gods they themselves do not believe in.

As i understand it, atheists don't believe in God because there's no scientific evidence to suggest the existence of one.

A theist however doesn't require scientific evidence in order to adopt a position of belief. They do so for their own reasons, known only to them unless they chose to share it with you. Scientific evidence clearly doesn't factor into it.

Yet according to you and the author of this quote, theists don't believe in any other Gods because there's no scientific evidence to support the existence of them. ie for the same reasons Atheists don't believe.

Now i'm not suggesting that people of faith have any kind of monopoly on reason, far from it, but the idea that theists reject other Gods for the same reasons as atheists reject all gods is clearly nonsense.

If they adopted that position they would be atheist. They're not. So i would suggest that both you and our friend Stephen could benefit from some time back at the drawing board to rethink this one..

Don't get me wrong, I get the point he's trying to make. I just think it's an utterly pointless attempt at being clever with words but that's about it. And even at that it's flawed. It doesn't support any argument being made on this thread and it's far from a ground breaking reason for adopting an atheist position.
    Oh I am sure there are exceptions indeed, but I fear you have studied at the OEJ school of pointless and contrived pedantry here too. Context is everything and the author of the quote is writing in a by far predominantly monotheistic society and is attempting to write a concise thought provoking quote.

As such he is not likely to achieve those ends by including every tiny caveat or variation possible. A general quote, for a general situation, using general words is more than sufficient. It is nothing but linguistic pedantry to obsess over it too deeply.

If you are going to milk every quote of that length and intent for "generalization" then you will be at it for a long time and will likely achieve nothing except to build up a reputation for pointless and ineffectually pedantry.

I'm not doing it with every quote, i'm doing it with this quote...

This is afterall, a discussion forum. Someone posted a quote in support of their argument and stated that it was relevant to the topic. I disagreed on both counts and with this being a discussion forum I decided to challenge it. That's how discussion forums work. So while i understand that you wish to discredit my opinion, accusing me of pedantry for challenging a post on a discussion forum is not exactly an effective argument...

By all means challenge the points i've made, just don't bother challenging my right to make them as that will be ignored.

You accuse me of linguistic pedantry. I'm accusing the author of the quote of linguistic gymnastics. We disagree and that's ok.
    Would that the same could be said for some theists though. Try reading those articles such as "I do not believe in atheists" and the like where they try to prove, usually through linguistic acrobatics, that all atheists believe in god really.

So just like the author of the quote then ;)

As far as i'm concerned, a theist claiming that there's no such thing as an atheist would be an equally absurd position... And yes, I would challenge it, as would you...

Is that more pedantry or just how people operate in discussion forums ?

Scientific evidence clearly doesn't factor into it.

You will have to take it up with one of them so because I never use the word "scientific" when I ask for evidence for god. The sentence I always use is "Can you offer any argument, evidence, data or reasoning that lends any credibility to your claim there is a god?". Nothing in that sentence limits the discourse to science.

Alas no theist has ever, least of all the ones posting on this thread, provided a coherent answer to that question.
    Yet according to you and the author of this quote, theists don't believe in any other Gods because there's no scientific evidence to support the existence of them.

How could it be "according to me" given I said nothing about "scientific" evidence to you at all? I have more than enough words coming out of my mouth without you adding your own.

All I said was that the purpose of the quote was for the atheist to point out to the theist that they BOTH reject all those other gods for very likely many of the same reasons as each other. For example both the atheist and the theist clearly do not put much stock in the "personal revelation" of people from those religions.

That is all I said so i would suggest that you could benefit from some time back at the drawing board to rethink this one before you reply to me again and things I never said.
    Don't get me wrong, I get the point he's trying to make. I just think it's an utterly pointless attempt at being clever with words but that's about it.

I do not see it as being pointless at all. It captures the attention which is always good. It gets you (well some people) thinking about what he actually means by what he says (the rest of the people merely read it 100% literally and without any context and then suggest he is saying things he is not, as this thread demonstrates).

Two good things. But then it also does another good thing. It attempts to establish some solid mutual ground between the two parties which is very important in discourse, and in convincing others of your point of view.

Take, since I mentioned it above, Personal Revelation again. Personal Revelation is something I have been offered frequently by theists in answer to my challenge above. And many of them are offended (or feign offence for effect) at my not taking it at face value.

So it is genuinely useful to point out how they do not take the "personal revelation" of others at face value when THEY evaluate the religious claims of theists from other religions.

And THAT is the core purpose of the quote. To show that it is not just a case of atheism and theism at direct 1:1 loggerheads with each other. But there is in fact much common ground to explore their in their rejection of other religions and gods.... much of which could be turned towards introspection in the theist being spoken to directly.
    I'm not doing it with every quote, i'm doing it with this quote...

I am sorry the meaning of this turn of phrase is not one you are aware of, and that you have, like the quote we are discussing, merely run with a pedantic literal reading of it. Seems I am becoming something of an English Language Tutor on this thread of late. To put your mind at ease however the turn of phrase does not literally mean you do it with every quote, it just means it is a generally bad approach.

But suffice to say if you are insisting on pedantic and overly literal reading of everything, then you are the last person to be lecturing anyone on "this is how discussing forums work" and the last person from which I require such advice.
    By all means challenge the points i've made, just don't bother challenging my right to make them as that will be ignored.

Given I never did any such thing, anywhere, ever, I can not imagine why you write this other than to serve up some posturing and space filler.
    So just like the author of the quote then ;)

Not at all no, and I am perfectly happy to go on explaining why as you have seen.

You will have to take it up with one of them so because I never use the word "scientific" when I ask for evidence for god.

Grand so. Just delete the word scientific.
    How could it be "according to me" given I said nothing about "scientific" evidence to you at all? I have more than enough words coming out of my mouth without you adding your own.

As above... The word scientific has no relevance to my point. Delete at will..
    All I said was that the purpose of the quote was for the atheist to point out to the theist that they BOTH reject all those other gods for very likely many of the same reasons as each other. For example both the atheist and the theist clearly do not put much stock in the "personal revelation" of people from those religions.

Indeed you did but you also said a little bit more...
    Again the only purpose of the quote appears to be to get theists.... specifically theists who want to know why atheists are atheist.... to explore the own basis for their rejection of others gods.... and realize that much (sometimes even ALL) of the reasons they have for it are identical to that of the atheist they were asking.

I've explained why that can't be true. Your response is to take issue with one irrelevant word. Now that we've cleared up that little side show maybe you can respond to the actual point..

What are these identical reasons ? Please elaborate.
    And THAT is the core purpose of the quote. To show that it is not just a case of atheism and theism at direct 1:1 loggerheads with each other. But there is in fact much common ground to explore their in their rejection of other religions and gods.... much of which could be turned towards introspection in the theist being spoken to directly.

Common ground ? Really ? Can you give some examples ?
    But suffice to say if you are insisting on pedantic and overly literal reading of everything, then you are the last person to be lecturing anyone on "this is how discussing forums work" and the last person from which I require such advice.

I'm challenging the validity of a quote. That's what happens on discussion forums. I'm not lecturing anyone. I'm stating a fact. If that makes me pedantic then call me pedantic.

• Advertisement

Grand so. Just delete the word scientific. As above... The word scientific has no relevance to my point. Delete at will.. Indeed you did but you also said a little bit more... I've explained why that can't be true.

Nice of you to move more towards replying to what I actually said. But you have not explained what you think you have explained because there are numerous reasons why theists and atheist reject the gods of others.

I gave one example. Personal Revelation. Atheists do not accept it in any theist as evidence for a god. But theists themselves also do not accept it from theists of different religions either. So there is one of many examples.

Holy Texts are another of the many examples. Someone waving the Bible around saying it is evidence or even proof of god will not be taken seriously by atheists because it is generally a circular argument. Similarly however theists waving their holy book of choice around in the air will not lend similar credence to someone else waving their book around. Ask a muslim sometime why the Bible is not evidence that Jesus was the son of god and rose against after three days being entirely dead.

The list goes on, but the examples above are enough to support the point both I and the original quote make.... that the reasons atheists and theists reject the gods of some other religion, are quite often identical.
    Now that we've cleared up that little side show maybe you can respond to the actual point..

Exactly my point. Now that we have cleared up your little side show of putting words in my mouth I never said, we can deal with my actual point(s).
    I'm challenging the validity of a quote. That's what happens on discussion forums. I'm not lecturing anyone. I'm stating a fact. If that makes me pedantic then call me pedantic.

Again you are not in any position to lecture anyone on what happens on discussion forums. The label of pedantry is not being labelled against the challenging of the quote. Challenging quotes is a good thing. It is the CONTENT of that challenge that is based purely on linguistic pedantry.

Advertisement