Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 best reasons for atheism?

Options
  • 13-01-2016 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭

hi there

im atheist and not afraid to say it.

my problem is that people don't believe me or think im open to being lectured on their religion

I try not to argue and try to calmly say these are my beliefs and I don't knock your beliefs

they always end up looking for reasons why I believe what I believe or don't in this case

im sick of it now.
    if you had to have 3 points only
    what clear points would you make

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

There is no evidence what so ever for the existence of a God

I don't have to waste my life engaging in silly, ritualistic behaviours in order to please/placate the god for whose existence there is no proof

Religion is geographical and yet every religion thinks theirs is the right one. Also leads to prejudice based on same,the Christian God loves Christians who historically originated from certain geographical areas, but he is sending most of India, Pakistan, China etc to hell because they are predominantly the wrong religion, due to the location of their birth which he is supposedly responsible for!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

1. I respect your right to believe whatever you want.
    2. You respect mine, to not believe.
    3. I won't impose my belief on you. You don't impose yours on me.

And they all lived happily ever after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

endacl wrote: »

This.

My best friend, and many of my friends are atheist. By following these three simple steps, we get on just fine

Its as simple as that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

endacl wrote: »

you must live in an ideal world
    my experience is everything is great until you get to no 2 and 3.
    strangely they don't seem to see the hypocrisy in believing in no 1 but not in 2 and 3

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

Hmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

you must live in an ideal world
    my experience is everything is great until you get to no 2 and 3.
    strangely they don't seem to see the hypocrisy in believing in no 1 but not in 2 and 3

But at that point you stop arguing because you're dealing with assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

I'm trying to work out why people might doubt your sincerity? why also is it important that people believe you? You don't believe in God. No sweat. Are you maybe not sure. Have you considered agnosticism to start before working your way up to pure atheist? All joking aside, You don't need to be believed that you don't believe. (I should get that put on a tee-shirt) ;-)

Orion wrote: »
    But at that point you stop arguing because you're dealing with assholes.

unfortunately I work with some , are related to some , friends of friends etc .
    so I cant just say go away

I would like 3 reasons that are easy to put across and not open to too much debate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

king kong vs. godzilla? godzilla.
    if you can't be with the one you love, then love the one you're with.
    kind of blue.

i think that covers most bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I think you're a bit weird
    You think I'm a bit weird
    F*ck it, what's the craic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Just go for one; You're not my ma, you can't tell me what to do!

Doesn't work so well on your ma though, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

It might help your case if you can develop a better idea of why you are an atheist, OP. It'll help you to be more confident in your exchanges and firmer in your answers, and hopefully without getting in to an argument. You don't have to do that here if you don't want to, but if you do you'll find a lot of support from your fellows.

Surely the only reason why one should be an atheist is there is no good enough reason why one would not be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

hi there

my problem is that people don't believe me or think im open to being lectured on their religion

I try not to argue and try to calmly say these are my beliefs and I don't knock your beliefs

they always end up looking for reasons why I believe what I believe or don't in this case

im sick of it now.

I have only one point in regards to this. We are spirits in a material world.

No God substance at all, just spirits of electrical energy in a material world. The little feller below explains it all...

Absolam wrote: »
    Surely the only reason why one should be an atheist is there is no good enough reason why one would not be?

Well I'd be interested to get an idea of where the OP is coming from; if help is needed in constructing a defence (which is what I gather the OP is asking for), then it might be useful to get an idea of where his or her head is at.

pauldla wrote: »
    Well I'd be interested to get an idea of where the OP is coming from; if help is needed in constructing a defence (which is what I gather the OP is asking for), then it might be useful to get an idea of where his or her head is at.
    Well, since the question put is why I believe what I believe or don't in this case, is the answer not simply no one has yet provided a good enough reason to believe otherwise?

Well, since the question put is why I believe what I believe or don't in this case, is the answer not simply no one has yet provided a good enough reason to believe otherwise?

I will not know the OP's answer until it is provided by the OP, surely...? :confused:

I will not know the OP's answer until it is provided by the OP, surely...? :confused:
    Ah... didn't know we were waiting on him to answer his own question :)

In the meantime, in your opinion, is there a better reason for one not to believe in a deity than that no one has yet provided a good enough reason to believe in one? More for the sake of discussion than particularly providing the OP with an answer... since I doubt those who don't believe him are likely to be swayed by any answer, and those who think he's open to being lectured on their religion are likely to take any answer as an opportunity to do so.

Ah... didn't know we were waiting on him to answer his own question :)

In the meantime, in your opinion, is there a better reason for one not to believe in a deity than that no one has yet provided a good enough reason to believe in one? More for the sake of discussion than particularly providing the OP with an answer... since I doubt those who don't believe him are likely to be swayed by any answer, and those who think he's open to being lectured on their religion are likely to take any answer as an opportunity to do so.

I'm sorry if I have misread the OP's intention; I thought that if he shared some of his ideas with A&A, the good people here might help him to put together a defence that could be useful when dealing with those pushier friends and co-workers who seem to be blighting him on the issue. No doubt I have missed my mark, and my question, as you indicate, is redundant.

As for your question, I can only respond with an 'I don't know'; the best reason I can think of for unbelief being somewhat terse and unpoetic ('It's all a load of bollox').

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

*shrug*
    'Suit yourself'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Just tell them that you've pondered the universe/nature and you believe it to be essentially blind and dumb.

Everything is the product of mindless material mechanisms.

Regarding proof for the above claims, it's probably best to keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I am not afraid to say it either. I simply do not say it. It is not a term I use to describe myself or identify myself. I have no use for the word. If other people want to call me "atheist" however I have no issue with that.

My world view is simple enough. I simply do not subscribe to claims that are made without any argument, evidence, data or reasoning to support them.

Now GIVEN the claim that a non-human intelligent and intentional agent is responsible for the creation and/or ongoing maintenance of our universe is unsubstantiated in even the smallest way.... devoid of any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning..... I simply do not subscribe to the claim.

So atheism is not my world view so much as a consequence of my world view.

If your "friends" (though I hesitate to call them that if they are giving you undue jip over this) or family require any more explanation that that.... then I honestly have no idea what they require. At that point, when it is put that plainly and simply, if they do not get it then they are either not capable of it, not willing to, or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Three options then:

1. If they ask you why you don't believe turn it around and ask them why they do. If they say is because the bible says so remind them that the bible is the claim not the proof. If they say it's because they have faith then tell them you have science.
    2. Tell them it's because there is no demonstrable proof that anything they claim is not demonstrably true and in most cases impossible according to natural laws of physics. Add in that the bible is full of contradictions and conflicts. Say that even if god existed he's such a malicious, petulant, murderer that you wouldn't want to follow him anyway.
    3. This would be my default position - tell them it's none of their business. If they persist repeat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

mickrock wrote: »
    Just tell them that you've pondered the universe/nature and you believe it to be essentially blind and dumb.

To paraphrase Shrek, "this is the part where mickrock runs away."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

3 best reasons? Well that's a bit different then to why you're an atheist. If you're looking for what is the best things about not believing in God, mine are...

1) No Spiritual Judgement

All the hellfire, end of days judgement, torture that might be coming your way. All gone. There will be no judgement towards you for fickle, antiquated rules. You set your own morals and live by them and you will only be judged by your fellow man. In fact, there will be no judgement towards anyone, not just you. Something comforting believing that billions of poeople won't suffer for eternity for the simple sin of being born into the wrong culture and therefore worshipping a false god. There's also something comforting that there is no evil plan that lets rapists go unpunished, rape victims go unheard and let all the illnesses in this world spread, destroying lives.

2) Fear turns to acceptance, which turns to appreciation of life

No wondering, no fear of the unknown. When you realise that there is no afterlife it's tough (at least it was for me) to digest. All friends, family, me, doomed to 80ish years on this rock. But then that's comforting. this is it, this is all we've got. Use it and enjoy it, knowing that it will end. Some of the best things in life come from the knowledge that they will end, and not continue. So jump on in, the water's warm.

3) No limits to thought

The God of the Gaps argument puts a stop on any chance of discovery. We're made to explore, whether that's mentally or physically. If you get to a point in a thought that stops because god (and believe me, it's always a grinding halt), you're denying yourself the chance to explore. I am sure I will die not knowing why we're here. But it's comforting knowing the fact that I can keep trying and advance my knowledge as much as I can in my time. And maybe relay that onto others and learn from them. The second you put god into it, your brain stops and tries to rewire itself to accept this illogical answer. You're denying yourself the chance of new discoveries byt simply sitting back and saying "Well great, thank god I don't have to think about that anymore"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

3 best reasons? Well that's a bit different then to why you're an atheist. If you're looking for what is the best things about not believing in God, mine are...

1) No Spiritual Judgement

All the hellfire, end of days judgement, torture that might be coming your way. All gone. There will be no judgement towards you for fickle, antiquated rules. You set your own morals and live by them and you will only be judged by your fellow man. In fact, there will be no judgement towards anyone, not just you. Something comforting believing that billions of poeople won't suffer for eternity for the simple sin of being born into the wrong culture and therefore worshipping a false god. There's also something comforting that there is no evil plan that lets rapists go unpunished, rape victims go unheard and let all the illnesses in this world spread, destroying lives.

2) Fear turns to acceptance, which turns to appreciation of life

No wondering, no fear of the unknown. When you realise that there is no afterlife it's tough (at least it was for me) to digest. All friends, family, me, doomed to 80ish years on this rock. But then that's comforting. this is it, this is all we've got. Use it and enjoy it, knowing that it will end. Some of the best things in life come from the knowledge that they will end, and not continue. So jump on in, the water's warm.

3) No limits to thought

The God of the Gaps argument puts a stop on any chance of discovery. We're made to explore, whether that's mentally or physically. If you get to a point in a thought that stops because god (and believe me, it's always a grinding halt), you're denying yourself the chance to explore. I am sure I will die not knowing why we're here. But it's comforting knowing the fact that I can keep trying and advance my knowledge as much as I can in my time. And maybe relay that onto others and learn from them. The second you put god into it, your brain stops and tries to rewire itself to accept this illogical answer. You're denying yourself the chance of new discoveries byt simply sitting back and saying "Well great, thank god I don't have to think about that anymore"

It's more then possible to believe in a deity and enjoy all of the above. I know. I'm one. Are you sure your not talking about religion as opposed to a belief in some form of God ?

I've no desire to challenge your beliefs or lack of but if the OP was to use these arguments against a theist not bound by religious dogma he'll run into difficulty pretty quickly..

my reasons are mostly scientific and based on no proof and how idiotic the whole construct seem when you put it on paper.

I believe what Steven fry said about all the evil in the world.

some of the posts above capture my beliefs on the matter fairly well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

...fixed minor spello in thread title...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mickrock wrote: »

'Just a theory', eh, Mick?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No God substance at all, just spirits of electrical energy in a material world.

Spirituality is just another form of woo. In many ways it's as bad as religion, in some it's worse.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement