Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 best reasons for atheism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

robindch wrote: »
    ...fixed minor spello in thread title...

thanks I think
    . what did it say before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

my reasons are mostly scientific and based on no proof and how idiotic the whole construct seem when you put it on paper.

I believe what Steven fry said about all the evil in the world.

some of the posts above capture my beliefs on the matter fairly well.

Then that's what you tell them; a polite smile and "I'm sorry, but it just doesn't make any sense to me" or something along those lines may be useful. Some humour might help diffuse things too ("You don't believe I don't believe? I don't believe you don't believe I don't believe, if you can believe that" etc etc). If they insist on the "Oh, so you're an atheist then?" line, perhaps try the Neil de grasse Tyson response ("Well, let's have that conversation and you tell me what I am").

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

You only need one reason.

There is not good enough reason to believe in a god or religious doctrine, than not believing in either, so you feel you're better off holding out and putting your faith in science, logic, reason, humanity, pokemon cards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

1. About 105 billion humans have ever lived. Heavan and hell must be packed?
    2. Explain to me how purgatory once existed and because of some bad press (e.g baby graves) it no longer does?
    3. What happened to all the people who were born before your religion existed? Were they damned simply through being born at the wrong time?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

*the babbies were doing the Limbo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

For me , it's simple

1. Burden of proof is not on me , it's on the believer.
    Sure I can't prove God doesn't exist, nor can I prove Santa doesn't.

2. The simple facts that there are many faiths, at least one must be wrong !!! - or more simply all of them are ?

3. Related to 2, As Richard Dawkins says "We are ALL atheists - but some of us just go one God further!"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm trying to work out why people might doubt your sincerity? why also is it important that people believe you? You don't believe in God. No sweat. Are you maybe not sure. Have you considered agnosticism to start before working your way up to pure atheist? All joking aside, You don't need to be believed that you don't believe. (I should get that put on a tee-shirt) ;-)
    You're right of course, but being of a minority with a different point of view usually means you will be subjected to interrogation and have your viewpoint challenged.

Not because they don't believe you, but because they feel threatened. People don't like people who don't just go along with the crowd.

I was very heartened though at a recent wedding to see a lot of young Irish people not going up for the eucharist. There was a point in my younger years that you'd get sideways glances and confused looks when you stayed in the pew while everyone else went up for the edible paper. This time around only three from our pew went up, everyone else stayed seated.

I generally find these people are total hypocrites . when I say I don't believe and to respect my beliefs and il respect your they get all defensive and want proof that my beliefs are right. something no one can 100%provide . but when they are defending their belief they don't want to hear the whole evidence argument.

I asked one nut job (nut job in general not just on religion) about my beliefs , he started on about atheists being evil and the work of the evil,
    somehow twisted atheism into causing the paedophile situation in the church
    he thought that all non believers of his religion should be nailed to the cross and left to die

luckily he was a random person (relation of friend of a friend) and I could tell him to PFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

1. Generally if anybody asks or if I'm discussing religion with my mates (most of them are believers but we very rarely discuss it), I always tell them I don't believe. It really shouldn't take anymore than that, but if they're going to try and convince I usually like to have a bit of fun with them, for example:

2. Ask them if they really believe in eternal paradise after death why do they wear a seat-belt when driving? Surely they'd rather be in paradise with all the legends of human history than live on this kip with taxes and hangovers.

3. Tell them that when you're atheist you can do things like eat all the cake you want or pleasure yourself sexually or whatever else, happy in the knowledge that someone isn't watching and judging you :-)

1. Generally if anybody asks or if I'm discussing religion with my mates (most of them are believers but we very rarely discuss it), I always tell them I don't believe. It really shouldn't take anymore than that, but if they're going to try and convince I usually like to have a bit of fun with them, for example:

2. Ask them if they really believe in eternal paradise after death why do they wear a seat-belt when driving? Surely they'd rather be in paradise with all the legends of human history than live on this kip with taxes and hangovers.

3. Tell them that when you're atheist you can do things like eat all the cake you want or pleasure yourself sexually or whatever else, happy in the knowledge that someone isn't watching and judging you :-)

I like these kinds of points.
    funny but makes a point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I generally find these people are total hypocrites . when I say I don't believe and to respect my beliefs and il respect your they get all defensive and want proof that my beliefs are right. something no one can 100%provide . but when they are defending their belief they don't want to hear the whole evidence argument.

I asked one nut job (nut job in general not just on religion) about my beliefs , he started on about atheists being evil and the work of the evil,
    he thought that all non believers of his religion should be nailed to the cross and left to die

luckily he was a random person (relation of friend of a friend) and I could tell him to PFO

You missed a trick there OP. You should have gone with the Victor Meldrew response -

Jaysus, sounds like you ran into a right mental case.

Reading that reminded me of a time I was working in Clonmel a couple of years ago, I was out on the street waiting on GPS equipment to take it's observations so I wasn't exactly very busy. Anyway a man (with a seemingly permanent smile on his face) decided to start talking to me and I like talking to people so I was happy to oblige, especially when the first thing he said was "do you believe in Jesus Christ our savour" (he identified himself as a christian).

Politely I laughed and said no, I'm atheist, to which he responded, 'I used to be a non believer as well, but one day I was watching Pat Kenny on the late late show and I could literally feel jesus christ enter my stomach and proceed to fill my entire body', I **** you not that's what he said to me. I mean how do you respond to that, jokingly I just said 'are you sure watching Pat Kenny didn't just turn your stomach'. He left shortly afterwords, hoping that I would find christ (not sure where the fúck you'd even begin to look), it was a bizarre/funny experience but we never got nasty with each other.

Anyway I since found out that there's a big psychiatric hospital in Clonmel......make of that what you will :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

There are not reasons for being an atheist. Rather, it is the default position of anyone who has half a brain and wasn't religiously indoctrinated from a young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

1. Father
    2. Son
    3. Holy Ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

1. It's 2016
    2. I'm a grown up
    3. I don't believe in magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

seamus wrote: »
    You're right of course, but being of a minority with a different point of view usually means you will be subjected to interrogation and have your viewpoint challenged.

Definitely some validity in this, I suppose it's human nature, and on that basis I don't think it's confined to theists...
    seamus wrote: »
    Not because they don't believe you, but because they feel threatened. People don't like people who don't just go along with the crowd.

I'm not so sure about this.. I don't think any of us can really know their reasons especially given the fact that those reasons will be different for everyone...
    There are not reasons for being an atheist. Rather, it is the default position of anyone who has half a brain and wasn't religiously indoctrinated from a young age.

But if you approach any theist with this, or any of the other numerous comments on this thread that state theists as inferior, backward, unintelligent, insane, lacking etc etc. Then yes, you will most definitely elicit the very response that everyone here says they wish to avoid...

Tolerance, acceptance and understanding go both ways. You get what you give.
    Generally I find if you respect others views and try not to be a dick about it, you get the same respect back in return.

Of course the muppets exist. They always will. Some of them will be theist, some of them won't. But they will be muppets regardless of the topic being discussed and need to be dealt with as such in whatever way works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Swanner wrote: »
    D
    I'm not so sure about this.. I don't think any of us can really know their reasons especially given the fact that those reasons will be different for everyone...
    (Not because they don't believe you, but because they feel threatened. People don't like people who don't just go along with the crowd.)
    I agree with Seamus on this, though I would argue that people want their opinions validated, they feel insecure/threatened by other people having different opinions.
    But if you approach any theist with this, or any of the other numerous comments on this thread that state theists as inferior, backward, unintelligent, insane, lacking etc etc. Then yes, you will most definitely elicit the very response that everyone here says they wish to avoid...

Tolerance, acceptance and understanding go both ways. You get what you give.
    Generally I find if you respect others views and try not to be a dick about it, you get the same respect back in return.

Of course the muppets exist. They always will. Some of them will be theist, some of them won't. But they will be muppets regardless of the topic being discussed and need to be dealt with as such in whatever way works for you.

I do tend to agree with you on this, I don't think theists are ' inferior, backward, unintelligent, insane, lacking etc'. All I want is that I don't have to take account of, or be affected by theist beliefs in my daily life.

looksee wrote: »
    I agree with Seamus on this, though I would argue that people want their opinions validated, they feel insecure/threatened by other people having different opinions.

Apologies I should have been clearer. I'm not questioning the validity of the reasons. I would think for many if not most they hold true but that can only be speculation on my part.
    looksee wrote: »
    All I want is that I don't have to take account of, or be affected by theist beliefs in my daily life.

100% understood and agreed. And it's generally because of the afore mentioned muppets that it's unlikely to happen for anyone. But if we ever do manage to figure it out we'll simultaneously solve many of the worlds biggest problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

1: Gives people with resentments with the church something to moan about.

2: Gives idiots a chance to let people know how intelligent they are.

3: It's a waste of time arguing about something that doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

1. There is no God.
    2. There is no God
    3. There is no God.

Hows that?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

^if you repeat that 3 times in front of a mirror does he disappear?

^if you repeat that 3 times in front of a mirror does he disappear?

Worse again, he might appear and call your áss out for doubtin' him!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

1. If you were born in Afghanistan to muslim parents in a muslim society, you would be a muslim, because evolution has moulded us to take the word of our caregivers as being true, in orderfor us not to die horribly by doing stupid s***. Do you not think its time to start thinking for yourself?

2. Why do you think your prayers about passing an exam have equal merit to those of some poor torture victim in Zimbabwe,who lives in a country run by a despot who is happily living into his nineties. Do you not think there is a bit of a lack of divine justice there, assuming such a thing existed?

3. have a look at this page.

Creation myths

What makes you think that the ancient myth you havent bothered to question is correct, and all the others are wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

1: Gives people with resentments with the church something to moan about.

You don't need to be atheist to have resentments against the RCC (not 'the' church, it's 'a' church btw) - you just need to be Irish and think about what they've done to this country. What's surprising is how many people stick with it to at least some extent, despite the well-founded resentments.
    2: Gives idiots a chance to let people know how intelligent they are.

Indeed. But perhaps not in the way you think ;)
    3: It's a waste of time arguing about something that doesn't exist.

Yet here you are.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

I believe in God. But, from the debates I have watched/read, the best three points for an Athiest to put forward to believers/religious people, in my opinion, are:
    Generic Creator God:
    1. The lack of physical evidence
    2. The existence of evil
    3. Just because something cannot be explained by science does not mean it is caused by God
    Christian God:
    1. The development and origins of all life forms can be traced back to their beginnings; a God to create species is not necessary
    2. Christianity has failed to develop over time, and hasn't clarified things more over time. Science has
    3. Many of the passages of the Bible are very questionable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Interesting. So how would you counter the arguments you've mentioned?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

MrYlad wrote: »
    2. Christianity has failed to develop over time [...]
    On the contrary, christianity has developed enormously - from its parent religion (judaism) etc, to the thousands or tens-of-thousands of child religions it's given rise to - including islam.

The one thing that religion won't do is stand still, since that's the kiss of death to this memetic lifeform.

This quote is relevant to this thread:
    “I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” —Stephen F Roberts

This quote is relevant to this thread:

That quote loses validity right here..

“I contend we are both atheists.."

That's just a straight up no frills judgement. The very same kind of judgement that drives many of us nuts about religion...

I'd hazard a guess that if someone contended you were really a theist, you might feel more then a little judged..

• Advertisement

When it comes to assessing hypocrisy I'm comfortable judging theists. In any case, the purpose of the quote (since it evidently requires an explanation) is to point out the arbitrary nature of the religious person's belief in one god rather than a different one. If the quote has a flaw in its logic it's that the believer will say, "But I dismiss those other gods because my god is the one true god and the others are satan's avatar." And that is not why an atheists dismisses the believer's god. Rather it is the lack of any empirical evidence for god, combined with the obvious contradictions that arise if the believer's god actually does exist.

Advertisement