Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

we haven't been approached by them, yet! I personally can't see any reason to join them. I've spoken to other business owners who told me its a waste of money as they didn't feel like they benefited from being a member. I know two businesses who cancelled their memberships! If they approached us to join I don't think I'd jump to do it to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FM252

I am not a business owner nor do I know their fee's but feel they have contributed a positive effect by at least having a bit of vision and promoting the town. They don't miss a beat. Some may say they don't do much but they are not the council. But again I don't put my money where my mouth is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just reading Irish Times and they have a big ad in property section for the sale of Manor West SC for €55M(tenants not affected). Interestingly, in the visual they have listed pet superstore MAXI ZOO occupying the old Mothercare store. This is right next to Petmania. Seems mad that you'd have 2 pet superstores trading right next to each other!

Maxi Zoo were looking to come into Manor about 3-4 years ago, but they couldn't get the unit they wanted....

It'll give people a choice , but Maxi Zoo will blow them out of the water quite soon I would suspect

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I honestly can't see what they do that is so great? They are all talk & no action in my opinion. They told us about 3 years ago they had all these big named businesses coming to Tralee, and the only one that is opening out of them is JYSK, and that's going into Manor.

I know they're not the council. But I'm not sure what they need membership fees from businesses for to be honest! Just my opinion!

I just read that Ken Tobin is to step down as from his post.

• Advertisement

Plus there's another pet store in behind Soundstore the other side of the retail park. I was only thinking recently that there are still a few empty units around there. But I read that Paradise Hair & Beauty which are around near the Garda station, have announced they are moving over by the Bookshelf & the shop that sells to hairdressers etc, have moved into the unit that the golf shop used to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

On another note relating to Manor, Kerry County Council have approved a new connecting road between the Tralee bypass at the Killarney Road roundabout feeding into at the back of Woodies. I think that is a positive development as it will relieve a fair bit of traffic around Killerisk/Ballymullen and/or Rathass for Manor bound traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Think Boyles sold it for much more than that, in fact a lot more !!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There was one objection and the same chap appealed to ABP last time out. Apparently he milks 100 cattle and this new access road would put his life and that of his cows in much more danger! 🙄

If it is appealed to ABP (and I think it will be), the fact that TII still hasn't acquiesced would put it at variance with the requirements of the Tralee Town & Municipal District development plans and could be a ground for refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Has any more been done about the road they were going to build from the Marian Park roundabout over to Ballymullen or did I just dream it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The section from the Ballymullen end is being built to provide access to the new school. As for the rest of it, like the northern relief road, money has to be found for it somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There's a new school going up?!

The Gaelcoláiste is relocating to a new build

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cms88

Re the Chamber. I've said before all they've done is take credit for things they sometimes had very little to actually do with.

They were very fact to take credit for JYSK, despite the fact they had said they'd come to the town center. There was also the big announcement about all the Amazon a few years ago that came to nothing. These are just a few.

I know it's a trial and error thing but my issue has been when something doesn't work it's acted as if it never happened again.

I know someone mentioned Maxi Zoo on another post, but I see they have a job ad up for a Tralee store, so they must be planning to open soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

The old Dish cafe, across from the Brogue/Matt the Butcher has had its windows covered over - it's been closed for a long time - is someone moving in there?

I think I heard there is, but who or what I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Walked the River Walk from the Wetlands to the old Lidl today. It's very over grown. Could badly do with the bushes/weeds being cut back. The skinny mile is in an equally bad state. Pity the council can't keep them maintained.

T.

I kind of like the wild feel of the river walk. Sometimes it's best just to let nature do it's thing so long as it doesn't encroach onto the path.

Bee habitats, the council workers love letting things overgrow with the blessing of the higher ups ,😂

• Advertisement

I used to walk a lot with my little boy when he was a baby in the pram, around the Ballybeggan road and the amount of brambles and nettles that would be overgrown out over the path was ridiculous. I found it hard to get by sometimes, especially with thorny brambles and trying to push them back so they didn't hit the baby or scrape him etc. I reported it to the council numerous times and they took ages to cut it back. Its still the same way. And the other side of the road towards clash is all overgrown with weeds etc. They haven't been removing weeds much from the pathways around the town in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Were they let over grow on purpose for the sake of the bees and insects? Wasn't there some initiative about save the bees etc...

Some places in Killarney have signs saying that it is overgrown on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Hi guys, Is E&D in Abbeycourt closed down? They did car batteries amongst other things so was looking for an odd sized battery for a kids electric car. Drove passed last week and again today and the surf shop is in the small unit with the big blue garage doors shut with E&D over the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

They must be closed at least a year now. Just surfing stuff in there now

An awful tragedy out in Lixnaw tonight. There's been a suspected murder-suicide, 3 people dead. Very sad news. RIP

Three people shot dead in suspected murder-suicide at Co Kerry house (thejournal.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭Xander10

Woman in her sixties and man in twenties found dead in house, man in sixties found dead outside house.

Munster region has had a lot of murder suicides recently. Is Covid having an impact?

I don't know of any others that have happened in Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Yeah Graham got out of the E&D business and he's concentrating on the surf shop now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Advertisement