Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My lack of faith (in humanity)

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Absolam wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I'm calling allies to my side by any means [...]
    You are and you have.

Not a good debating tactic, it has to be said, especially when it seems that at least some of them do not hold the views you think they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

robindch wrote: »
    You are and you have.
    You might want to review my posts then; I haven't said they hold the same opinions as I do, only that they are observant, intelligent, and not likely to see that God is in the same set of characters as Santy and the Easter Bunny (with one exception).
    robindch wrote: »
    Not a good debating tactic, it has to be said, especially when it seems that at least some of them do not hold the views you think they do.
    Ah now... we'll need to up the ante from 'one' to qualify as 'some', surely? Which is not to say it's difficult to find plenty more examples of quite remarkable people who have managed to demonstrate a distinct lack of blindness or stupidity, yet did not see that God is in the same set of characters as Santy and the Easter Bunny.

No, you didn't. You said they were "fairly blind or stupid". A far more extravagant and ridiculous claim, especially given the opinions which they expressed and backed up with substantial theoretical and experimental evidence. Though if you're saying that nobodies opinions that aren't backed up by some sort of evidence are worth more than the paper they're written on, I'd agree with you; especially opinions like "you would want to be fairly blind or stupid to not be able to see that God is in the same set of characters as Santy and the Easter Bunny".
    But that's simply not true! In fact... is it not simply an opinion presented without the backing of theoretical or experimental evidence? And you've told us quite clearly what you think of those....

I wouldn't say I'm calling allies to my side by any means, merely pointing out that there are plenty of observant and intelligent people who are not able to (or willing to) see that God is in the same set of characters as Santy and the Easter Bunny. As for Feynman, fair enough, I'll happily sub in Alexis Carrel, John Eccles, & Werner Arber.

Its like trying to argue with a Christian when talking to you :-) You'll probably take that as a compliment! Anyway, I don't really feel the need to wreck you're day and admit defeat and own up to my own stupidity. I'll just take comfort from the thought that it must eat you up that Christians cant burn heretics like myself at the stake anymore ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Its like trying to argue with a Christian when talking to you :-)
    I've always said Jesuit. Then he will jesuitically argue the point. Quite fun really, if you aren't trying to discuss an actual topic....

Its like trying to argue with a Christian when talking to you :-) You'll probably take that as a compliment! Anyway, I don't really feel the need to wreck you're day and admit defeat and own up to my own stupidity. I'll just take comfort from the thought that it must eat you up that Christians cant burn heretics like myself at the stake anymore ;-)
    You do like to make assumptions about what people think, don't you? But to take it as a compliment I'd have to know what you mean by 'it's like trying to argue with a Christian', since I'd think there's a lot of variations in how Christians argue. I'll take it as a compliment if you mean how a thoughtful, kind, and interesting Christian argues :)
    Still, I've no idea why it would make you comfortable to think someone else is eaten up by anything at all... but no, I'm not distressed that Christians can't burn heretics anymore. There may be one or two people around the world who are, but I imagine they're very few and far between. Far more appropriate to take comfort in that, I should think.
    Shrap wrote: »
    I've always said Jesuit. Then he will jesuitically argue the point. Quite fun really, if you aren't trying to discuss an actual topic....
    I've always quite admired the Jesuit order and their contribution to philosophical thought and debate, never mind their dedication to education, but I know you're not a fan:D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Still, I've no idea why it would make you comfortable to think someone else is eaten up by anything at all... but no, I'm not distressed that Christians can't burn heretics anymore. There may be one or two people around the world who are, but I imagine they're very few and far between. Far more appropriate to take comfort in that, I should think.
    I've always quite admired the Jesuit order and their contribution to philosophical thought and debate, never mind their dedication to education, but I know you're not a fan:D

It was said in jest. I can clearly understand that Catholics for the most part have given up on the notion that burning heretics is a bad idea. Although don't put too much money on it. There is no shortage of mad men in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It was said in jest. I can clearly understand that Catholics for the most part have given up on the notion that burning heretics is a bad idea. Although don't put too much money on it. There is no shortage of mad men in the world.

Zip firelighters last longer than heretics, so you're safe enough :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

I think you mean to say "is a good idea" as distinct from a "bad idea".

Just don't go to Saudi Arabia, apparently they have the death penalty for those who lack belief, no burning, just decapitation by sword.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Saudi_Arabia

Ah, I see. I'm not really sure where you think the jest is in the idea of you being comfortable to think someone else is eaten up by any feeling; it seems a rather cruel sense of humour, but perhaps one had to be there? I hope you had a good chuckle all the same, notwithstanding your typo. Pity about all the mad men, best keep the Zip firelighters out of their hands I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement