Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw v Cruz

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Dillashaw via Decision
    T J Dillashaw was lackluster i thought. Probably deserved not to get the decision. How one judge gave it to him by 3rds i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

BT recording cut out midway through 5th round of Dillashaw fight, i guess you have to record the program after in case it runs over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Cruz via Decision
    It was definitely 3-2either way. 49-46 is shocking. The commission needs new judges badly

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

LaGlisse wrote:
    BT recording cut out midway through 5th round of Dillashaw fight, i guess you have to record the program after in case it runs over?

Ah no you serious! Was hoping to watch it this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Pettis - what a disappointment. He's got savage ability to finish but there's a clear hole in his game. Guy has never won a convincing decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Cruz via Submission
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    Thought the fight could well have been 49-46 Cruz, But I gave him 1,2,3 and 5. TJ punching at air for most of the fight. Cruz landing at at far higher percentage and landed the bigger shots and securing rounds with Takedowns.

Totally agree. Cruz a clear winner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Pettis - what a disappointment. He's got savage ability to finish but there's a clear hole in his game. Guy has never won a convincing decision.

Wonder if he will cut down to 145, he should strongly look at its he's getting bullied by bigger guys badly. Either that or there's another reason why he's performing so badly that I won't go into, but I wouldn't put it past anyone anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Lenny17123 wrote: »
    Ah no you serious! Was hoping to watch it this evening!

Mine cut out just as TJ was about to be interviewed so you might get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

padzer wrote: »
    Mine cut out just as TJ was about to be interviewed so you might get away with it.

im guessing if you have the next programme set to record it will pick it up right? dont want this happening again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cruz via Decision
    I hate travis browne even more after last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

ASOT wrote: »
    Wonder if he will cut down to 145, he should strongly look at its he's getting bullied by bigger guys badly. Either that or there's another reason why he's performing so badly that I won't go into, but I wouldn't put it past anyone anymore.

He never struck me as the type (he's never been that athletic), but who's to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

He never struck me as the type (he's never been that athletic), but who's to know.

Me either but either did Silva, hopefully it's just the injuries having am adverse effect rather than anything else but it just looks weird how you can go from being on top of the division to that in such a short space of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,677 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cruz via Submission
    Absolutely beaming for Cruz, more so as I thought TJ won the fight, wasn't expeciting Dom to get his hand raised. I was hoping they would get Faber in there to face off with him.

Was hoping for a LOT more from Pettis.

Sickened for Matt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,677 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cruz via Submission
    Jon Jones, gas man...

Jon Bones Jones @JonnyBones This guy @travisbrowneMMA out there using my favorite technique 1f61c.png
    3:58 AM - 18 Jan 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

LaGlisse wrote: »
    im guessing if you have the next programme set to record it will pick it up right? dont want this happening again

Yeah that should do the trick alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Cruz via Submission
    Delighted for Cruz, it's crazy how elusive he is in there. Loved watching that fight.

I gave him 1, 2 and 3.
    TJ 4.
    5th round was close, could have gone either way so the 49-46 Cruz doesn't surprise me too much.

Pettis was very disappointing, where does he go from here.
    Pressure him and don't give him space and he's in big trouble.

Browne is a scumbag, should have had a point taken away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Dillashaw via Decision
    I gave Cruz 123 tj round 4,5 but I'd have to watch it back again,TJ was putting the pressure on but he was hitting thin air Cruz was touching TJ I thought but never really hurt him,

It just goes to show what Cruz could've been imagine him with them 4 years of fighting and training would be twice as good,

Pettis as I said before has a problem and he wont fix it by working tdd,he needs to use his footwork better stay away from the cage because thats the tool everyone uses against him,RDA will be trying the same technique except Conor has the brain not to stand near the cage and circle off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Cruz via Submission
    Delighted Browne and Rousey have each other. Two incredibly detestible figures

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

It is such a pleasure to see Cruz fight. I had Cruz winning the first three, he was making TJ miss and landing good combinations plus the takedowns. TJ clearly won the fourth and edged the fifth. Tony Weeks gave Cruz the fourth, not sure what he was watching.

Both 49-46 decisions were pretty outrageous, the fight was close.

Faber Cruz III probably going to be the next fight.

Pettis was disappointing, his movement was poor, should of looked to control the centre instead got backed up to the cage and takendown. When he landed he had Eddie in trouble. Fair play to Eddie, I don't think he'll go much farther than this though, Khabib supposedly up next for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Cruz via Submission
    Just finished watching this, managed to avoid the results all day in work and on the facebook timeline and on the mats in the gym so happy with that. Good night of fights, absolutely delighted for The Dominator, thought he looked fantastic and even though it was close I thought he deserved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cruz via Submission
    Deadst4r wrote: »
    Couldn't decide who won but definitely didn't think Cruz won that unanimously.
    What do you mean by not unanimously?
    I had Cruz winning the first three, he was making TJ miss and landing good combinations plus the takedowns. TJ clearly won the fourth and edged the fifth. Tony Weeks gave Cruz the fourth, not sure what he was watching.

Both 49-46 decisions were pretty outrageous, the fight was close.

I agree that the 49-46 decisions don't reflect the closeness of the fight. But it's also easy to see how multiple close rounds end up being scored in such a polarising way. For example, you said you have TJ just "edging" the fifth. Which is only just edging it away from a 49-46.

I had a draw in the first, and Cruz in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th. A draw in the 5th wouldn't be crazy either imo.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The "10-point must" system is severely flawed in that way. Its really an awful system they "inherited" for some reason from boxing. They could easily do better but the more complicated the system the more difficult they think it will be for newcomers to understand I reckon. (Personally if Americans can understand their football rules they will be fine!).

Cruz via Submission
    I've heard a number of suggested alternative scoring systems. But a lot of them are simply the 10-point must system in a different form, with all the same pitfalls. Anything that's very different is usually highly subjective, and often comes with its own issues.

I haven't seen anything worth switching to tbh.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well the sport is explained as being ranked on 4 things, it would be nice to have some transparency as to where the judges give weight to even in the 10-point-must system. There seem to be judges who think that a takedown means that fighter has won the round irrespective!

At the moment the whole "10-9" thing is basically completely subjective and opaque. They might as well just say "him". :)

Cruz via Submission
    DeVore wrote: »
    Well the sport is explained as being ranked on 4 things, it would be nice to have some transparency as to where the judges give weight to even in the 10-point-must system. There seem to be judges who think that a takedown means that fighter has won the round irrespective!
    Agreed, and on the other hand there there's judges who give takedowns and control on the mat zero credit, only strikes after you have them on the bottom count.
    One judge infamously said leg kicks don't count as much because they don't finish fights.

The problem is, all these subjective based flaws will apply regardless of what point system is used.
    At the moment the whole "10-9" thing is basically completely subjective and opaque. They might as well just say "him". :)
    The current system would be an awful lot better if the judges used and full spectrum of the 10-must system.

That means more 10-10 rounds, more 10-8s and the occasional rare 10-7s.
    10-7s should be quite rare, only a few per year but that's about as frequent as some judges give out 10-8s currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think one of the biggest flaws with the current system is that judges are so reluctant to score rounds as a draw. I think draw rounds would be fairly common in MMA if the judges didn't feel obliged to pick a winner every round for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think one of the biggest flaws with the current system is that judges are so reluctant to score rounds as a draw. I think draw rounds would be fairly common in MMA if the judges didn't feel obliged to pick a winner every round for whatever reason.

Yeah I totally agree but for some reason fans latch onto the lack of 10-8's as the problem which normally only happen in one sided fights anyway so it ends up not affecting the outcome often. Its the tight fights that need draws in one or more round and then the other rounds that have a convincing winner that decide the fight.

Cruz via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »

Yup, that's what I was getting above. It's not the current system, just how its used.
    Beersmith wrote: »
    Yeah I totally agree but for some reason fans latch onto the lack of 10-8's as the problem which normally only happen in one sided fights anyway so it ends up not affecting the outcome often. Its the tight fights that need draws in one or more round and then the other rounds that have a convincing winner that decide the fight.
    10-8s in title fights would stop a lot of the bad split decisions.
    They'd also cause a lot more draws overall. As would more drawn rounds.

With draws being common, most really close decision, split decisions woudl be draws. Draws aren't a great result in terms of progressing the division. but I'd rather see a draw than the wrong guy win

Advertisement