Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oyonnax v Ulster

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Does anyone know how Sam Windsor has been for ravens? I swear he played for Samoa in the rwc and you'd expect him to do better than IH did today. I guess humph though is great in attack when on song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Was it not Michael Stanley? Stanley is playing in England currently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any update on Sam Arnold injury

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

looked like a hamstring one to me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

bilston wrote: »
    He took his try very well. I said it last week, he is a good player, still a bit raw in some respects but probably a more complete winger than Gilroy IMO. Looking down the line I think he is the sort of winger that will appeal to Joe.
    Very impressed with how he scored that try. Must have beaten four defenders at least on his way to the line.

Could have a real prospect there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

jacothelad wrote: »

One of those commentators may have been routing for Ulster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

One of those commentators may have been routing for Ulster :D

Ah sure it was just Sky rooting for the British team...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be fair, he could just be happy with the comeback. You could be perfectly neutral, but you'd be rooting for the team 21-0 down.

errlloyd wrote: »
    To be fair, he could just be happy with the comeback. You could be perfectly neutral, but you'd be rooting for the team 21-0 down.

Dewi Morris would traditionally be pretty supportive of Ulster. That's certainly the impression I've got of him over the years.

All joking aside I think Sky would and do show a bias to Irish sides playing French teams. Nothing wrong with that, I would imagine the Frenh stations are biased to the French teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Watched the highlights and what a win for Ulster that's two very good wins in France for them.

Hopefully with one more home game to come they'll get through to the quarters. Can't see them getting anything away to Saracens tho, losing bonus would be nice.

If Scholes was wearing a blue shirt we would be hearing far more about him, he's done much more than Ringrose to earn a place in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Scholes has been a known name for some time now on this forum. The way he's playing for Ulster is no surprise. He was a stand out performer for the Irish u20 team. He faces a much greater task to get his foot into the Irish door because there's competition in the form of Zebo, Kearney, Earls, Healy, Trimble etc. At the moment Ringrose has found himself in the mix because Payne and Cave aren't playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Scholes has scored some great trys this season, going back to the one against the Scarlets where he showed great strength and leg drive.

McCloskey was very impressive in those highlights again but for different reasons, a nice inside ball to set Scholes away for his try and then a lovely wrap around with Jackson for Gilroys try, then he carries hard for a good gain in the buildup to McCalls try. Given the value Schmidt places on a physical presence in midfield as well as ability to execute set plays displays like that should bode well for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

From a Leinster fan congrats to Ulster for pulling that victory out of the hat.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I missed the second half today but just checked the ESPN stats for the game and Scholes's were excellent.

He's the form winger in the country at the moment.

He's probably up there with Matt Healy alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Zzippy wrote: »

Scholes is a great maizey runner with great feet and hard to put down but defensively he's not the best . Tends to lose his head a bit on defense but definitely a big talent and a guy I rate. Mccloskey was immense yesterday creating really quick ball and sucking in the 7 and 12,constantly. I also liked the look of Sheridan good hands for a big man Munster should sign him if their smart. Arnold looks like he'll be out for a while with his hamstring and did Nick get concussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Glad to see Scholes get a run of games after suffering some injuries which no doubt stalled his breakthrough. Also good to see as Bowe and Trimble aren't getting any younger and both appear to be injured more often than not.

gutted I only watched the first half. :rolleyes: turned it off due to a combination of bad temper and visitors arriving at my house....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

would also like to pick up on a point raised about Big Mc. He draws in so many defenders, he creates space and overlaps outside him. Typically he was tackled by 2-3 players every time he took it into contact. A real asset to Ulster and hopefully Ireland.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    would also like to pick up on a point raised about Big Mc. He draws in so many defenders, he creates space and overlaps outside him. Typically he was tackled by 2-3 players every time he took it into contact. A real asset to Ulster and hopefully Ireland.

Yea, Gilroy's try came from him doing a nice little loop pass with Jackson when I'm sure all the Oyonnax defenders were expecting him to truck it up.

awec wrote: »
    Yea, Gilroy's try came from him doing a nice little loop pass with Jackson when I'm sure all the Oyonnax defenders were expecting him to truck it up.

I think he's a cracking player but I think sometimes he tackles too high and I just mean sometimes 90% of the time he hits high he wins the contact and turns a lot of ball over holding players up. He also needs to improve his passing under pressure. If he does this he'll be world class. Nonu was the same early in his career and now he's the best centre in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Zzippy wrote: »

No, over the Christmas period and including yesterday's games he's way ahead of Healy on what he contributes overall.

Obviously Healy got 2 nice tries (for me anyway) but I do wonder overall how much he contributes. I've only seen him a few times and he's gas to burn but yeah I can see why he hasn't been picked for higher levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    No, over the Christmas period and including yesterday's games he's way ahead of Healy on what he contributes overall.

Obviously Healy got 2 nice tries (for me anyway) but I do wonder overall how much he contributes. I've only seen him a few times and he's gas to burn but yeah I can see why he hasn't been picked for higher levels.

TBH if I had to choose between turning him in to a solid all round workhorse and keeping him as he is, I'll take him as he is every day of the week.

Not to sound disparaging to wingers of the former type, I just think that there's a place for both in any set up. Look at New Zealand for examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Bazzo wrote: »
    TBH if I had to choose between turning him in to a solid all round workhorse and keeping him as he is, I'll take him as he is every day of the week.

Not to sound disparaging to wingers of the former type, I just think that there's a place for both in any set up. Look at New Zealand for examples.

Sorry but you've got the wrong idea about kiwi wingers. AB wingers have to be good on defence, excellent at fielding kicks, have a high work rate and good skills plus pace and attacking ability. There are numerous wingers in NZ who score tries for fun at NPC and Super level who never make the ABs or do get a run but get sent back down and never make it back.

The careers of Rokocoko and Sivivatu basically ended because they struggled to deal with opponents kicking to their wings. Savea got told to go away and work on dealing with high balls if he ever wanted to wear the black jersey. When his fitness dropped, he was dropped because he wouldn't be able to work hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Sorry but you've got the wrong idea about kiwi wingers. AB wingers have to be good on defence, excellent at fielding kicks, have a high work rate and good skills plus pace and attacking ability. There are numerous wingers in NZ who score tries for fun at NPC and Super level who never make the ABs or do get a run but get sent back down and never make it back.

The careers of Rokocoko and Sivivatu basically ended because they struggled to deal with opponents kicking to their wings. Savea got told to go away and work on dealing with high balls if he ever wanted to wear the black jersey. When his fitness dropped, he was dropped because he wouldn't be able to work hard enough.

I meant look to New Zealand to see examples of both wingers in use across all teams. I'm not saying that the all blacks' wingers are flashy attackers who are ****e in defence or vice versa.

If Healy wants to work on apsects of his game, great(his fielding I think is fine by the way but he can be a little suspect in defence at times) but I wouldn't like to see it happen at the expense of other aspects of his game.

I'd imagine an Ulster fan would tell you something similar about Gilroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Apologies then Bazzo. I've heard people in the past go on about AB wingers purely on attack when they actually deserve credit for their all round game.

I've also heard kiwis push for the inclusion of player X because of his try scoring record ignoring the rest of their game. I see a bit of this here in Ireland too.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I think he's a cracking player but I think sometimes he tackles too high and I just mean sometimes 90% of the time he hits high he wins the contact and turns a lot of ball over holding players up. He also needs to improve his passing under pressure. If he does this he'll be world class. Nonu was the same early in his career and now he's the best centre in the world.

Think we've discussed his passing before, but I agree with you on his tackling technique. I can see what he is trying to do in terms of the choke tackle, and let's face with Kiss in charge he is unlikely to do it less but it would be interesting to see his defence tested a bit more in straight up collisions.

bilston wrote: »
    Think we've discussed his passing before, but I agree with you on his tackling technique. I can see what he is trying to do in terms of the choke tackle, and let's face with Kiss in charge he is unlikely to do it less but it would be interesting to see his defence tested a bit more in straight up collisions.

Think he only struggles with bigger men like teo. When he tries choking those size players going at him full tilt he only gives up ground. Any player under 95 kg he manhandles generally.

Advertisement