Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan, Sky News and 'claiming' Irish people as British

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

robinph wrote: »
    It's because the reporter couldn't care less if you are from England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland. If you speak with one of those accents then the safest option is just to call all of their interview subjects British rather than worry about where they were born or what they might identify as now.

If you speak with a north American accent expect to be called American, if you speak with a French accent expect to be called French. Nobody really cares if you are actually Canadian after they have done 5 minutes reading up on why they are interviewing you beforehand they certainly won't have been checking your nationality.

Get over it, correct them, and move on. No need to get your knickers in a twist over some insult that only exists in your own mind.

Eh, of course they should check nationality. I can't think why that wouldn't be one of the first things checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

So true. What's that all about!? Not even a neutral Dublin accent, but a big howya bellow

Yes! I thought i'd imagined it. Off topic but I'm sure she didn't have that accent a couple of years ago. It's as if when she hit the big time she turned into this 'ah shure i'm so bleedin salt a t'earth dublin me, so oi am'. It sounds so affected I find it hard to listen to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

I think it's long overdue that we claim Judi Dench and Kate Bush tho.

Both have Irish mammies.

Always found it surprising we don't make more of a big deal of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fairly standard operating of procedure for elements of the British press, has been for years. Wonder if that reporter thinks someone born in Toronto is an American.

Mind you, considering how obsessed Ryan Tubridy is with asking his Late Late guests about their Irish roots, I'm not sure we can complain too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

budgemook wrote: »
    Eh, of course they should check nationality. I can't think why that wouldn't be one of the first things checked.

If they did that they'd call her an American (born in NYC, US nationality along with Irish, lives in US).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

At least have an analogy that's correct.

Britain claiming Saoirse Ronan (New York born Irish girl) would be analogous to Ireland claiming Terry Butcher (former English soccer player born in Sweden).

Daniel Day Lewis considers himself (at least) partly Irish, is immensely proud of his Irishness and holds an Irish passport.

Your post is political correctness to the extreme.

"Your post is political correctness to the extreme".

Like an overstatement don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

We are small time

If that's true, it's partly because we worry about crap like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think the thing that mildly irks me* about it is their propensity to only claim those who are successful. There are zero stories in their press regarding these folk unless it's about some glory.

In fact, its almost as if they're disowned if they do something wrong. David Coulthard would often be referred to as a British driver when winning a race, but Scotish if he crashed out.

*Note - no outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

People need to stop vilifying others who get mildly annoyed about this sort of thing. I live in England and love it here and have loads of good friends but I'd still be a little annoyed and correct a British person calling me British(it's happened maybe once). Most of my mates here would have enough cop on and respect to have known the difference anyway which begs the question why do the media not?

Anyway there's nothing wrong with being proud of where you're from, I know Canadians who get fairly annoyed if they're called American and as far as I know Canada doesn't have a "chip on its shoulder" regarding the USA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why? They are most likely being interviewed about some movie, reality show, soap opera they appeared in or minor other celebrity they were seen out with.

They nationality is irrelevant for most of that nonsense and only mentioned as filler to make it seem as if they have something interesting to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

https://youtu.be/BzIBquGnkX8

I always remember this beauty .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I'll never understand patriotism, it's the weirdest thing. I've been lambasted by friends for hoping Conor McGregor got put on his arse. "But he's Irish" so what, so is that dickhead 2 doors up from you that you despise, would you be cheering him on?

But then I do give a shíte when 11 men, not even all Irish, pull on a green jersey and kick a ball around to represent the country.
    As I said, I'll never understand patriotism.
    It's probably just deep rooted tribalism most of which is beyond our control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

DeanAustin wrote: »
    "Your post is political correctness to the extreme".

Like an overstatement don't you?

The post is nonsensical tripe to try and portray himself to be right on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'll never understand patriotism, it's the weirdest thing. I've been lambasted by friends for hoping Conor McGregor got put on his arse. "But he's Irish" so what, so is that dickhead 2 doors up from you that you despise, would you be cheering him on?

But then I do give a shíte when 11 men, not even all Irish, pull on a green jersey and kick a ball around to represent the country.
    As I said, I'll never understand patriotism.
    It's probably just deep rooted tribalism most of which is beyond our control.

Up Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

They just don't have the chip on their shoulder we have.. We claim Daniel Day Lewis, they don't give a shït.

Hang on a minute, Daniel is as Irish as Tony Cascariono or Ray Houghton !

It's a little amusing how they don't ever claim Northern Ireland when it's doing something internationally embarrassing.

For example : "Gay Marriage banned by UK Region."

"British politicians in regional assembly block attempts to introduce same sex marriage due to their extreme religious conservatism."

"Nope, that's a totally foreign issue happening in Northeren IRELAND. Nothing to do with us mate"

Saying she's American is silly too. My cousin was born in Woodlawn, New York to Irish parents and moved back here when she was about 3 (exact same thing as Saoirse Ronan). Saying that my cousin is American is beyond ridiculous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

This is an actual news story?.. Shudders... Anyone who is outraged by this should be made walk through the streets naked as the rabble chants "shame, shame, shame"...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Or what? Do you want a tribunal into it? Do you think there should be a formal apology or should the guy be sacked? Do you object to all the myriad of mistakes live journalists make everyday or just the ones that you think are a personal insult to you?
    When did your employer tell you that your work was 100%

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If that's true, it's partly because we worry about crap like this.

That's my point

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Why? They are most likely being interviewed about some movie, reality show, soap opera they appeared in or minor other celebrity they were seen out with.

They nationality is irrelevant for most of that nonsense and only mentioned as filler to make it seem as if they have something interesting to say.

She's playing an Irish girl moving to New York FFS.

"So Saoirse, was it difficult playing an Irish girl, you being [quickly checks notes]...Oh."

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Meh, no big deal really.

Or what? Do you want a tribunal into it? Do you think there should be a formal apology or should the guy be sacked? Do you object to all the myriad of mistakes live journalists make everyday or just the ones that you think are a personal insult to you?

Not at all. I'm just pointing out that it would be normal for an interviewer to check before interviewing someone in response to another post. Not sure where you're going with tribunals and my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Yes a tribunal should be organised. The guy should give a formal apology and should be sacked. I am personally insulted by all journalistic mistakes and believe they should all be sacked.

You see haveringchick? Sensationalist posts get us nowhere.

The worst I've ever had was in Belgium. It said UK national on my employment contract.

I refused to sign it as it was factually incorrect.

They said "well I suppose that's a matter of political opinion"

I said "yeah, I'm really enjoying my time here in Germany so far!"

It wasn't a Belgian who drew up the contract and they were fairly shocked as they've a lot of political sensitivities about national identity themselves.

I've also had an American actually argue with me that Ireland *is* the UK.

He kept explaining to me that the UK is the "polite" term for England and Ireland.

There's a lot of confusion about what those terms mean though especially "UK"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thread is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

Fairly standard operating of procedure for elements of the British press, has been for years. Wonder if that reporter thinks someone born in Toronto is an American.

Mind you, considering how obsessed Ryan Tubridy is with asking his Late Late guests about their Irish roots, I'm not sure we can complain too much.

Lots of famous Canadians are mistaken for American. Mike Myers, Bryan Adams, Alex Trebek, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Leslie Nielson, William Shatner, Leonard Cohen, Rachel McAdams, the list goes on. Like many Irish talent, many go away to the bigger markets to become famous. The American comedy show SNL (created by a Canadian) even made fun of this using Ryan Gosling (Google Ryan gosling SNL Canada) last Christmas.

Most think Kiefer Sutherland is American yet he is actually Canadian but born in the UK. The son of a well-known Canadian actor and actress and grandson of a famous Canadian politician (Tommy Douglas, the guy who invented Canada's public healthcare system) who himself was actually a Scotsman who emigrated to Canada.

Nationality is confusing. Try not to be so easily offended.

Not at all. I'm just pointing out that it would be normal for an interviewer to check before interviewing someone in response to another post. Not sure where you're going with tribunals and my employer.
    I don't think he thought it was important.
    I'd say if it was pointed out to him that some educated adult people were incensed by a throwaway remark, he would probably not believe it, but apologise for any offence caused
    Entertainment news is not important. To anyone. It's just there to break up the hour by bringing a bit of levity in the form of famous attractive people wearing pretty clothes either getting arrested/married/divorced/dying or winning glittering statuettes
    It's important to know the life story of Jeremy Corbyn, but not so much Saoirse Ronan.
    It's just not important

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

kneemos wrote: »
    Thread is embarrassing.

Take that back.

people are rolling up sleeves ready to throw down over this :D lets go Putin on them English slags.

Our Irish hero Edward long shanks be spinning in his grave.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Yes a tribunal should be organised. The guy should give a formal apology and should be sacked. I am personally insulted by all journalistic mistakes and believe they should all be sacked.

You see haveringchick? Sensationalist posts get us nowhere.

I don't think your going to get your demands met at this stage

Advertisement