Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan, Sky News and 'claiming' Irish people as British

Options
  • 10-01-2016 7:18am

I know many people are sick of this topic, but what are your thoughts on the recent Twitter sh*t-storm involving Sky News anchor Richard Suchet claiming Saoirse Ronan was “one of ours” (i.e. British)?

When Suchet was challenged on this by on Twitter by RTÉ, he responded.

“She’s from the British Isles & whether you like it or not, Brits will be willing her to win. Glad you got an article out of it tho.”

It reminded me of a time when Chris O'Dowd was interviewed by a journalist from the UK, who called him British. O'Dowd face seemed to immediately drop, but he corrected her, she apologised and the interview continued with no harm done.

We could have used that humility here.

https://twitter.com/TheFanOfWords/status/686052465335119873

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

They just don't have the chip on their shoulder we have.. We claim Daniel Day Lewis, they don't give a shït.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

We never had this problem with British serial rapist Larry Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

They just don't have the chip on their shoulder we have.. We claim Daniel Day Lewis, they don't give a shït.

That's not a like for like comparison at all - DDL lives in Ireland and holds Irish citizenship whereas Saoirse Ronan has no connection with Britain.

Regarding this not too seldom occurrence, my main gripe is that they ignorantly claim people from a completely separate sovereign nation and then have the neck to try and argue about it.

For me anyway this attitude can only exist when there still exists some kind of feelings of ascendency over us. You never really see British media accidentally claiming French people for example in spite of the geographic proximity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's not a like for like comparison at all - DDL lives in Ireland and holds Irish citizenship whereas Saoirse Ronan has no connection with Britain.

Regarding this not too seldom occurrence, my main gripe is that they ignorantly claim people from a completely separate sovereign nation and then have the neck to try and argue about it.

For me anyway this attitude can only exist when there still exists some kind of feelings of ascendency over us. You never really see British media accidentally claiming French people for example in spite of the geographic proximity.

He said she should take it as a compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Nodin wrote: »
    He said she should take it as a compliment.

Yeah so I've heard...really he's just identifying himself as an ignorant twat - the most infuriating aspect of this however, is that he doesn't realise he's an ignorant twat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's Sky. I wouldn't expect too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Big swinging mickey. We look small time whinging about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

DeanAustin wrote: »

it's kinda embarrassing that hordes of people fall for this click-bait rabble rousing. If it's a problem let Ronan herself issue a statement - otherwise calm the fcuk down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Claiming she's British when she's actually American!

The cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In my view, I ignored it the first few times it happened but I'm getting a bit sick of them doing it now. It has to be on purpose.

A little even more insensitive considering our history and the year that is in it.

I believe we need to send Samuel L Jackson over to explain again to them the errors of their ways, in that intimidating manner that only he can do...

• Advertisement

I mean... There's far too many other things to worry about, rather than caring about an article I didn't read or a Twitter post I'll never read either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Claims she's from Carlow yet sounding like she's from Sheriff Street!! That's what I'm offended by!

"Whas da bleedin storee bud"

everlast75 wrote: »
    I believe we need to send Samuel L Jackson over to explain again to them the errors of their ways, in that intimidating manner that only he can do...

I've seen that interview before (re Colin Farrell) but can't find it on YouTube!! Got a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's an excellent method of infiltrating the enemy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's because the reporter couldn't care less if you are from England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland. If you speak with one of those accents then the safest option is just to call all of their interview subjects British rather than worry about where they were born or what they might identify as now.

If you speak with a north American accent expect to be called American, if you speak with a French accent expect to be called French. Nobody really cares if you are actually Canadian after they have done 5 minutes reading up on why they are interviewing you beforehand they certainly won't have been checking your nationality.

Get over it, correct them, and move on. No need to get your knickers in a twist over some insult that only exists in your own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Thread title misleading, looks like you are saying that Ronan claims Irish people as British.

The Brits can claim her if they want, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's a great betrayal of the men of 1916 that many people in England believe that we and they have something of a shared identity.

As a protest, we should refuse to allow our rugby players (except those from NI) permission to play with the British (& Irish) Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've seen that interview before (re Colin Farrell) but can't find it on YouTube!! Got a link to it?

You could not of śeen if as it doesn't exist. It was not recorded and can't be verified he said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

This is a grave insult. So many didn't die in the last 100 years so some British news fellow could call an Irish actress lady one of theirs! The tyranny. It's cultural vandalism, the likes of which we've never seen. I say we go to war in a manner most befitting of our times. Armed with spray cans at the top of Georges street in Dublin...we shall paint a mural to OUR Saoirse and in large tricolour letters say OURs. Will the "s" also be orange? That remains to be seen. Let's show those dirty Brits what's what. To cans, lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I mean... There's far too many other things to worry about, rather than caring about an article I didn't read or a Twitter post I'll never read either.

So why get involved in the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Whenever I see stuff like this, I'm always reminded of a quote from the Evening Herald (a rag admittedly but the Irish print equivalent of Sky News nonetheless). It was from the time President Obama came to Ireland and the Herald went with "Barack Obama is coming home".

We are no strangers to making these sorts of claims.

fatknacker wrote: »
    This is a grave insult. So many didn't die in the last 100 years so some British news fellow could call an Irish actress lady one of theirs! The tyranny. It's cultural vandalism, the likes of which we've never seen. I say we go to war in a manner most befitting of our times. Armed with spray cans at the top of Georges street in Dublin...we shall paint a mural to OUR Saoirse and in large tricolour letters say OURs. Will the "s" also be orange? That remains to be seen. Let's show those dirty Brits what's what. To cans, lads!
    She's a gobsh1te, so they can keep her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I love the fact that if anyone on here finds it mildly irritating, the rest over dramatise the reaction in order to mock it.

All I've seen is people saying it's kind of annoying - no one has declared we should invade them or a trade ware.

We know there are plenty of things worth getting more annoyed about - it doesn't mean you can't find this mildly annoying.

Whenever I see stuff like this, I'm always reminded of a quote from the Evening Herald (a rag admittedly but the Irish print equivalent of Sky News nonetheless). It was from the time President Obama came to Ireland and the Herald went with "Barack Obama is coming home".

We are no strangers to making these sorts of claims.
    Christ almighty, who'd want to claim that fool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Claims she's from Carlow yet sounding like she's from Sheriff Steret!! That's what I'm offended by!

"Whas da bleedin storee bud"

So true. What's that all about!? Not even a neutral Dublin accent, but a big howya bellow:)

You could not of śeen if as it doesn't exist. It was not recorded and can't be verified he said it.

fair enough so, I must have just read about it, and with the winds of time, upon hearing about it again, must of thought I'd seen it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

We are small time

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Monsieur Suchet would probably get a tad annoyed if he won an award and they claimed it for France.

I mean England used to be run by the Normans, what's the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

At least have an analogy that's correct.

Britain claiming Saoirse Ronan (New York born Irish girl) would be analogous to Ireland claiming Terry Butcher (former English soccer player born in Sweden).

Daniel Day Lewis considers himself (at least) partly Irish, is immensely proud of his Irishness and holds an Irish passport.

Your post is political correctness to the extreme.

Advertisement