Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwback Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The Olympian is the model that saved Dublin Bus.

The Olympians were/are a great bus, particularly the later RA/RV models we had. Still miss them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The Olympian is the model that saved Dublin Bus.

How come?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Reliability was a major item on the list, comfortable and heating that worked too well imo... Only ever had 2 not work.....

They could be fixed with a piece of foil from chewing gum or cig pack etc.... Bit like mcgyver.

Reliability was a major item on the list, comfortable and heating that worked too well imo... Only ever had 2 not work.....

They could be fixed with a piece of foil from chewing gum or cig pack etc.... Bit like mcgyver.

I know they were good buses alright but I'm not sure how they were the buses that saved DB as another poster stated. I'm sure another type of bus wouldn't have been as good but would it have been enough to kill off DB as a company idk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Heating was something else on them you'd dread a KD on a cold morning ice on the inside of the windows on more than once occassion!! A few hacks I remember from my time as a passenger, wedging a seat in the centre doors to prevent scrotes from hitting the emergency button and stopping the bus leaving at the square in Tallaght, not a hack but clever the driver getting all passengers due to alight between the square and Jobstown to line up from the front door and everyone else to sit down so he could turn off the lights to present less of a target to stones throwers!!

My favourite for the long run to Blessington was to lift the speedo and disable the limiter so the bus didn't top out at 40!! That could save a good 10 minutes. I do remember cigarette packets being used to fix dodgy door and emergency exit sensors too plus the panic alarm was handy for clearing sheep out of the road on a Ballyknockan run!!

They were happy times on the Olympians I remember them ploughing though snow and floods like there was nothing I remember water coming in the door as deep as the step!! The fupping KD would be stuck blowing steam at the sight of the hill up to Crooksling although I did like the scream of them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Csalem

To mark the end of the year we are going back 29 years to 1991. KD 348 is seen on Parnell Square dressed for route 40A to Cappagh Hospital. Route 40A started running to Finglas in 1932, seven years after route 40 started. The 40A terminus was on Cappagh Road, whereas the 40 terminated on Plunkett Road. Up until the early-2000s a number of departures on the 40A were extended to / from Cappagh Hospital. In 2011 the 40A was taken off the bus network when it was merged with the 40 and 78A to become the new cross-city route 40.
    The bus is in an all-over ad for Telecom Eireann Callcards. I am sure for a certain generation of people these must seem like a very arcane item, whereas other people may recall them with great fondness. Introduced in the late 1980s the cards were a way for people to make calls on public phones without having to carry a lot of loose change around with them. In some ways they served as the prototype to phone credit that people use on their mobile phones nowadays. The cards were very popular during the 1990s, and even became collectible items with their varied designs and denominations. However, with the arrival of the mobile phones in the late 1990s, the cards along with public pay-phones became a thing of the past. Telecom Eireann also became a thing of the past in 1999 when it was privatised and first rebranded as Eircom, and later as Eir.
    KD 348 was one of 366 double-deckers delivered to CIE in the 1980s by Bombardier. It was delivered new in 1983 and was withdrawn around 1999. 31/12/1991

50783117778_3ba4fcd9f2_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (260) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

GT89 wrote: »
    How come?

Because they were a world away from what preceded them.

For staff they were reliable buses that drove well, had powerful engines and were well up to the rigours of the job. For passengers they offered comfortable and clean buses to travel on. For management they were able to rosterefficient units that staff liked and which had less downtime and breakdowns to deal with.

Add these together and the results led to a complete turnaround in the company. But there was another crucial difference that came with the Olympian. It was the first time in decades where Dublin had a chance to purchase an industry standard city bus primarily on merits and without any ties or commercial obligations. This meant that the right bus for the job could be purchased and for the right reasons. And in this case it certainly worked out well.

This week we are going back to 1998 and to KC 121 on Marlborough Street. The bus is dressed for route 42B. This route can trace its origins back to 1958. Initially it terminated in Artane but in 1966 it (and the 42A) was extended to Harmonstown. In the early 1980s it was extended to Blunden Drive and there it remained until 2011, although its routing around the Harmonstown area varied over the years. In September 2011 the 42B effectively became the new route 27A.
    KC 121 was delivered new to CIE in 1985. initially it was based in Dundalk Garage, but over its career it operated out of five more garages. In 1986 it moved to Dublin and went to Conyngham Road, 1994 to Summerhill, 1997 to Clontarf, and 1999 to Donnybrook. In 2000 it then returned to the provincial fleet and became a school bus based out of Tralee. It is also worth noting that in 1994 it was stolen and extensively damaged but was repaired by Louth Commercials.
    10/01/1998

50811139411_a493381022_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (261) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Glad to see that note about the repair as you can notice that it looks a wee bit off/fresh, but if you didn't know about the repair you would just put it down to trick of the mind.

I always try and keep an eye out for the reg plates, because when new they were black with silver text. But overtime some KCs got other versions and usually there was a reason behind it, like a crash repair. Not sure what happened to KC 117 but got one with the EU flag on it: https://flic.kr/p/2iB3wAi
    It was delivered with the black plate, and then got a white plate like KC 121. So it had three variations over its career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Csalem wrote: »
    I always try and keep an eye out for the reg plates, because when new they were black with silver text. But overtime some KCs got other versions and usually there was a reason behind it, like a crash repair. Not sure what happened to KC 117 but got one with the EU flag on it: https://flic.kr/p/2iB3wAi
    It was delivered with the black plate, and then got a white plate like KC 121. So it had three variations over its career.

KC 116 got an EU plate too. I'd say it was an attempt to make the KCs appear more modern alongside the younger ADs. They were a quick fix to add extra capacity to the route.

The europlate was only compulsory from 1991 onwards. So from 87-91 the black on white (no hyphens) was the legal format.

I'd say it was less a case of making them appear modern and more of a case that that's the plate templates they had in stock and supply.

Sure didn't they have inbuilt white on black panels to the rear anyway!?

The europlate was only compulsory from 1991 onwards. So from 87-91 the black on white (no hyphens) was the legal format.

I'd say it was less a case of making them appear modern and more of a case that that's the plate templates they had in stock and supply.

Yes as did the 99 RV which I was very surprised never was an issue.

The EU plate may have been compulsory but very few older buses received them on replacement. KCS and KDs wore many different varieties of fonts and plate styles in the mid-late 90s. Sure look above at the plate KC 121 got after its joyride in 94. That's why I reckon the Airlink KCs were specifically given the EU ones.

On another note it's great to see the army using the black/silver again. Looks the business.

john boye wrote: »
    The EU plate may have been compulsory but very few older buses received them on replacement. KCS and KDs wore many different varieties of fonts and plate styles in the mid-late 90s. Sure look above at the plate KC 121 got after its joyride in 94. That's why I reckon the Airlink KCs were specifically given the EU ones.

Well they're compulsory on anything registered from 1991 and after. They wouldn't have gone around replacing them unless required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There some articles in the press at the moment of plans for a bus inside the phoenix park as being the first time they've done this. But I remember them trying this before, for about 6-12months before cancelling it back in the 1990s/2000s. Anyone remember the details? I remember it being a single decker. It basically drove from one end of the park and back again. I think it turned around, but it may have come back via north road. I'm not sure if this is a picture of it.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Phoenix_Park_Shuttle_bus_99D88702,_Dublin,_Ireland_-Aircoach-21Dec209.jpg

beauf wrote: »
    There some articles in the press at the moment of plans for a bus inside the phoenix park as being the first time they've done this. But I remember them trying for for 6-12months before cancelling it back in the 1990s/2000s.

Anyone remember the details? I remember it being a single decker. It basically drove from one end of the park and back again. I think it turned around, but it may have come back via north road.

I'm not sure if this is a picture of it.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.6AzG0TljrpR0_Zii0LIKWQHaE7%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Never knew they had... How boring would that drive be

Never knew they had... How boring would that drive be

It was a complete fresh air carrier if my memory serves me right

It was a deer route.

• Advertisement

Well they're compulsory on anything registered from 1991 and after. They wouldn't have gone around replacing them unless required.

They were regularly replaced. And usually didn't get the EU one.

beauf wrote: »
    It was a deer route.

Fare play to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Think it was operated by Aircoach.

Its a disgrace Joe!

d51984 wrote: »

Correct

d51984 wrote: »

Good tip. That found more....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityswift/28455843340/
    CityswiftFollow
    Park shuttle
    The ill fated Phoenix Park shuttle bus, launched by the Office of Public Works in May 2008 to offer a shuttle bus from Parkgate Street around the Phoenix Park for a nominal fee.

Originally operating every half hour seven days a week, using former UK based Millennium Dome buses, powered by LPG, operated by Aircoach, the service was poorly used, frequency reduced at first to just one bus & then discontinued in early 2010.

The route operated a circular route inside the Phoenix Park, connecting with the visitors centre.

This week we go back to 1987 to a very snowy Dublin. R 819 is seen giving D 483 a hand in Earlsfort Terrace. R 819 was delivered new to CIE as a double-decker bus in 1958. It started life in Clontarf Garage but was withdrawn in 1976. The bus was then converted into a tow-car and took up this role in Ringsend Garage around 1978. It was withdrawn by Dublin Bus around 1989 and passed to the Transport Museum in Howth as a source of spare parts. It had a longer career than D 483 which was delivered new to CIE in 1973. It started its career in Limerick but moved to Ringsend Garage in Dublin in 1985. It was withdrawn by Dublin Bus in March 1987.
    Dublin Bus itself was formed less than a month after this photo was taken, on the 2nd February 1987.
    The National Concert Hall dominates the background. It was built in 1865 for the Dublin International Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures. It then became University College Dublin in 1908 before becoming the National Concert Hall in 1981 when most of UCD moved to Belfield.
    The snow of 1987 started on January 11th and didn't start to thaw until the 15th. Dublin Airport recorded a depth of 19cm which is not a very common occurrence in Dublin.
    13/01/1987

50834901768_93b70778e2_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (262) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

R819 looks magnificent! The fact that the fitters took a a retired double decker and converted it to a tow car in its 20th year and it lived on for another 11 years is nothing short of amazing!

Anyone know where the Scania tow truck on Donnybrook went? Year 93 and the sound off it was deadly, starting sound was real good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

tnegun wrote: »
    R819 looks magnificent! The fact that the fitters took a a retired double decker and converted it to a tow car in its 20th year and it lived on for another 11 years is nothing short of amazing!

Conversion was the norm until a few decades ago.

• Advertisement

This week we are going back to 1998 and MA 15 at Bray Station (although the destination says Bray Depot Station). The bus is operating a service on route 145. Back then, the 145 was a local service around Bray. Starting in the mid-1990s it served the Palermo estate on the northern side of the town, and Ballywaltrim and Kilmacanogue on the southern side. It was one of those Dublin Bus routes that operated in Wicklow and not Dublin. Also, being a local service, it operated under the Localink brand which had been introduced in the late 1980s by Dublin Bus. Like most brands created by Dublin Bus, it was later phased out. However there was a brief private operated service in the Ballinteer area called Locolink and the current national rural bus service operates as Local Link.
    The 145 underwent a massive transformation in 2004 when it became a radial route from Kilmacanogoue to Dublin city centre via Bray and the Stillorgan QBC. For all intents and purposes it became a new route. Later it was revised slightly to run between Heuston Station and Ballywaltrim. It has become one of the busier routes in the city and for a period was a regular home to tri-axle double-deckers.
    MA 15 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1993 and withdrawn around 2000/2001.
    The railway station in Bray opened in 1854. It became the southern terminus for the DART in 1984.
    20/01/1998

50860293332_0e7bf68455_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (263) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Advertisement